England v Italy

Batman

They have just aired a documentary here in Australia on the 2006 Australia v Italy World Cup game where that CHEATING ***** took a dive over Lucas Neil and got the penalty. Italy were down to 10 men and normal time was seconds away. Australia had dominated the second half and would probably won in extra time.

I had never felt so gutted about a game of soccer at National level in my life. Even though I was born in Southampton, I have lived in Australia for 40 years and Australia is my team.

England is my second team and for the reason above, I hope they smash the absolute crap out of Italy and set them on the path of misery.

Agreed. Terrible bit of cheating by Grosso. But Neil let him have it by sliding in like he did in the penalty area. Bit naive. At least Italy won the World Cup by beating the two best teams there though in Germany and France.

Incidentally if you feel aggrieved at that then spare a thought for Italian supporters at the 2002 World Cup. FIVE perfectly good goals in THREE games disallowed. v croatia, v mexico and v south korea PLUS plus Totti getting sent off for being tackled in the south korean penalty area in extra time...for conspiracy theorists it was like EVERYONE was doing everything they could to cheat Italy and especially to get the host nation through....cosmic justice and karma restored when Italy won it in 2006...

PS i think Eng will win or draw v Italy.

Incidentally if you feel aggrieved at that then spare a thought for Italian supporters at the 2002 World Cup. FIVE perfectly good goals in THREE games disallowed. v croatia, v mexico and v south korea PLUS plus Totti getting sent off for being tackled in the south korean penalty area in extra time...for conspiracy theorists it was like EVERYONE was doing everything they could to cheat Italy and especially to get the host nation through.....

True, even Andy D'Urso would have been hard-pressed to do some of those refereeing decisions. It was amazingly bad, and also so obvious what was going on.

Worried so many are banging on about stopping Pirlo. If England go out to try and stop Italy rather than attacking them then I think we're in trouble. He's a very good player but just one man. Gerrard and Henderson just have to do their jobs. Far more important that we get Lallana, Sterling, Barkley or Sturridge running at their defence, they can scare any team. Really think this game will define our world cup. Win and that confidence could really boost us and I could see quarter finals with some good attacking football. Low score draw or loss and I think there might just be too much pressure on that uruguay game.

Good group though, could win the group, could be out in 2 games. Bet CR don't lose all 3 games either.

Yup - that will be the draw in the last game with Italy!

True, even Andy D'Urso would have been hard-pressed to do some of those refereeing decisions. It was amazingly bad, and also so obvious what was going on.

Don't be ridiculous. This is a FIFA competition we're talking about, not some tin-pot association run by a bunch of ageing corrupt despots.

Don't be ridiculous. This is a FIFA competition we're talking about, not some tin-pot association run by a bunch of ageing corrupt despots.

Good point, I take it all back.

FIFA has a fair system for all manner of indiscipline: "all bribery and corruption - internal and very very VERY strict investigation. making a silly joke about sepp blatter's name - lifetime ban."

England 1-1 Italy. Italy will hack and kick Rooney who will be sent off. Italy are not that good so nothing to worry, if Croatia can score and take the game to Brazil then England should take the game to Italy. If its another SA 2010 abysmal display then keep the plane engine running as the team wont be long in returning.

I cant see Saturday`s game being as bad as last WC especially as most of the over paid time wasters are not in the team....all but one

I'm up at half six in the morning for work, but I don't care about lack of sleep, I'll be watching it!

I've always said I'm a Saints fan first and an England fan a distant second, but I'll be cheering the national team on at the top of my voice, mainly to annoy the autistic 6 year old that lives next door and screams all day and all night long.

Do us proud England, do us proud Adam, as well as Luke and even Rickie if they see action.

The World Cup bug still hasn't reached e yet. Barely a month ago I was moist with anticipation at our 3 boys being in the squad and possibly getting some game time between them.

Constantly singing "we are Southampton, we're off to Brazil" to myself etc, eagerly awaiting for the public denial from AL about LFC rumours, Man Yoo being scared off at Luke's price tag, and just loving SRL

being so excited about making the squad and MP to stop arsing around and sign up.

Now, diddley squat.

Desperately playing old England WC songs, drinking beer ahead of having to stay up till 4 am to see the outcome of tonights game to get in the mood. Weeks ago this would have been dream time, now it's a bloody chore. Yep for all intents and purposes AL and LS are still Saints, and to be honest SRL always will be for me, i just love the man, and his sheer exuberance since making the team and scoring against Scotland has been a joy to behold. That goal must be up in the top 5 mad goal celebration moments I ever had. Hopefully in a pub full of cheering England Fans and a good few beers down my neck, I may manage to raise a bit of enthusiasm, but this is England we are talking about so I'm sure things will go pear shaped !!

Hot Dog, Sausage Roll, Come on England score a goal. Now where are my Union Jack Undercrackers (I know but don't have any St George Flag shreddies)

Been watching the final of the women's hockey World Cup . The Dutch are reallY good at that as well . Games finished switched channel and mr happy is on sky . No not alpine. But Gerard . God he does MPy head . The grass is the right length blah blah . I hate him and I hate Liverpool even more . Come on Italy

I have very mixed feelings now about how I want the Saints players to perform. A while back, when I thought we would have four players representing Saints, I was overly enthusiastic.

Now, I am kinda wanting the Saints players to to perform well maybe to increase their value, or something else....I'm all a bit vague on it now......I still want Rickie to do well, for sure, but the other two? While I'm still well up for this match, everything has been tarnished for me. At least from the Saints perspective.

Crazy I know, but I would love Lambert to come on as the game looks like going to a score draw and belt in a winner. Still think of him as a Saint and still will until he returns from the WC. Alternatively, it would be fantastic to see Lallana score in his first competitive England game - don't care if he's off...still would have done it as a Saint.

I'll cheer Rickie if he scores because he is still technically a saint til the 1st July, because of his 5 great years with us and because he is a truly nice guy who has had a true modern day fairy tale career.

I'll cheer Adam if he scores and hope Liverpool realise that his price has just gone up £5 Million more.

If Luke makes or scores then I'll cheer him and dream that he might stay for just one more year

I have an impending feeling of doom about this game. After watching Holland I feel we are well short of quality to be able to match or even come close to that sort of performance and that is how you have to play to have a chance of winning the WC.

Sterling starts ahead of Lallana. He's on the bench. Shocked. Terrible decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really a terrible decision, both very much competing for the same spot - and it looks as if pace has won out here.

It's not really a terrible decision, both very much competing for the same spot - and it looks as if pace has won out here.

Forgot to say, it's actually lining up like this

Rooney - Sterling - Welbeck

Sturridge

He's even pushed Rooney wide for some bizarre reason.

You can see the thinking tho, Rooney is ur second best number 9 so you shunt him to number 10. But then oh wait you realise he's only ur 4th best number 10 so you shove him to left wing. Tonight we'll find out he's only 5th best left winger, but obv he's got to play somewhere. He'll prob end the tournament at right back.

Still don't get why Welbeck remains anywhere near the squad? Is this like John Barnes playing for Bobby Robson for six years on basis of one good run-and-goal? Maybe he has compromising photos of Hodgson or Greg Dyke or something. Almost worth bringing back Heskey to add some lard to the line up.

2-1 to England. Barkley and Lambert to come on with 20 mins to go and change the game. The Italians won't be able to deal with a fresh set of legs after 70 mins. Barkley will run them ragged.

As for Lallana, the jury's out for me. He's looked nothing more than average in an England shirt.

Sterling starts ahead of Lallana. He's on the bench. Shocked. Terrible decision.

Not really. Not like Lallana is some established England stalwart. Playing either of them carries risk, and frankly Lallana has been a bit of a bellend recently so can't say I'm bothered. I'd rather see Lambert come on and do well to be honest.

Edited by CB Fry