STATEMENT: Player interest & Rickie Lambert

Saint Rees

The bit which causes me the most annoyance is the fact Kruger previously

stated we would not do transfers/deals until a new manager/coach is appointed, yet

have done exactly that and admit being open to do so again...

This makes his/the clubs credibility open to serious question...or its just lies

Would agree in any circumstance EXCEPT Rickie.

When Rickie Lambert requested to leave for Liverpool, the club felt it could not stand in the way of having him fulfil his boyhood dream of playing at home

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/02062014-statement-player-interest-rickie-lambert-1592309.aspx#E0htG5rQpT5qoIfL.99

The player ASKED to leave. Surely not even the most blinkered Saints "Fan on the Board" would have refused him.

I would have asked him "how do you know Liverpool want you ?", then refused.

Footballers are supposed to be pros who give 100% for whichever club is paying them.

He had nothing but respect, support, even love from the people of Southampton.

Sad to discover his ego is just as bad as the rest.

You got it. And they wont win with us until we start seeing some action, not words.

We have :

no manager, and subsequently no links to incoming players

no kit

no pre-season dates

no new contracts for Cork and Fonte

But at least we still have you ;)

You got it. And they wont win with us until we start seeing some action, not words.

We have :

no kit

no pre-season dates

Maybe one of the statos on here can confirm on what dates pre-season games and new kit designs have been announced in previous years? I'm pretty sure that this summer isn't any different than previous seasons is it?

Maybe one of the statos on here can confirm on what dates pre-season games and new kit designs have been announced in previous years? I'm pretty sure that this summer isn't any different than previous seasons is it?

Yes, but they cant even get their thumbs out of their arses to deliver some low-hanging fruit.

Would agree in any circumstance EXCEPT Rickie.

The player ASKED to leave. Surely not even the most blinkered Saints "Fan on the Board" would have refused him.

Fair comment...now i am getting over the disappointment..

However if more are to go before an appointment is made it becomes a different story..

We have :

no kit

no pre-season dates

- The club has a new kit for next season, I don't understand why you keep using this as a stick to beat them with. The CEO of Veho has seen it, it just hasn't been publicly unveiled yet and Veho's sponsorship deal doesn't start until 1st July 2014.

- The club is "deep in the process of appointing a new manager", wait and see who they appoint before using this as another stick

- I don't understand your point about incoming players, new manager or not the club will have a list of players it wants already and the new manager when appointed will give his approval or not on them

- Cork and Fonte's contracts may be waiting on the managerial appointment, he may wish to move them on

- I think its unlikely the club isn't very close to having all of its pre-season details sorted already, preparation for those things happen long in advance. You've taken them not announcing it as they've done nothing towards it.

Ridiculous argument totally undeserving of meaningful response, but totally fitting with your pedantic character.

...its OK, this is the forum - we don't do meaningful response.....

just knee jerk, board out, manager out, I'm ITK no-one else knows anything, stripes, no Skatchel, costa, taxi driver, new shirt, tea lady, witch, Skatchel, no goals, Dutch twins, ***kin joke, near post, no stripes, Skatchel, you said...I said, Branfoot, FA Cup reserves team, London pubs, old shirt, new watch, ****@d off, knee jerk, swing Lowe, I know, you don't, ner ner, Skatchel, rant, ***kin joke, we're all doomed etc etc

mmm that feels better

"We are staying true to our plan and vision and, as a result, we have no need to accept any offers. We are deep in the process of appointing a new manager who will continue to move our club forward. It remains our preference not to partake in any transfers until the new manager is in place. Our scouting & recruitment department continues to monitor targets we have identified to improve our squad, and the new manager will have final input into our recruitment process."

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/02062014-statement-player-interest-rickie-lambert-1592309.aspx#jEx67JDRtH4T3D7o.99

Telling use of words there..not a definitive stance

I think it's a pretty clear statement. We don't 'need' to sell, and we are not willing to partake in any transfers until we've appointed a manager (makes sense).

"There may be circumstances under which the club will feel it is right for a player to move on." Well, I'm sure Man U didn't want to sell Ronaldo, but for 80m it was for the good of the club.

Not from last season really. Pre-season confirmed 21st June and the kit can't really be released until the new sponsor's contract becomes active, 1st July. these are non-issues, can't see why anyone would want to make them so.

- The club has a new kit for next season, I don't understand why you keep using this as a stick to beat them with. The CEO of Veho has seen it, it just hasn't been publicly unveiled yet and Veho's sponsorship deal doesn't start until 1st July 2014.

- The club is "deep in the process of appointing a new manager", wait and see who they appoint before using this as another stick

- I don't understand your point about incoming players, new manager or not the club will have a list of players it wants already and the new manager when appointed will give his approval or not on them

- Cork and Fonte's contracts may be waiting on the managerial appointment, he may wish to move them on

- I think its unlikely the club isn't very close to having all of its pre-season details sorted already, preparation for those things happen long in advance. You've taken them not announcing it as they've done nothing towards it.

Good to see some sense being spoken on here.

Not from last season really. Pre-season confirmed 21st June and the kit can't really be released until the new sponsor's contract becomes active, 1st July. these are non-issues, can't see why anyone would want to make them so.

Some people are just ars*holes I suppose. I'm looking forward to July 1 and the new kit. Still have some faith it will be decent.

Alpine, what the f.. Is your issue with the kit not being released yet. You would have crying like a girl if it had been released a month a go when you started whinging about it and the player whose name you put on the back just got sold to Liverpool.

Stop picking holes mate, Alpine wants a new kit and he wants if ****in' now, ok. ;)

It seems an eminently sensible statement to make in light of the mass hysteria on here from those who believe every story fabricated by the media based on rumours and innuendo. But the problem is, if those posters are prepared to believe everything they read in the gutter press, they aren't going to take the word of the board that they do not wish to sell players before a new manager is appointed.

Have a read of this as a clever expose of the crassness of the press in their attempts to destabilise the club and our players:-

http://www.anorak.co.uk/398871/sports/transfer-balls-adam-lallana-signs-for-liverpool-for-10m-less-than-southampton-demand.html/

These same people are the ones who have militated for the board to make a statement every five minutes and when they actually state that apart from the special circumstances surrounding the transfer of Ricky Lambert they have no intention of selling any other players until the new manager is in place, every word is dissected and spun in the direction that suits that particular sceptic's agenda.

Despite asssurances that we have no need to sell any players, there will always be those who nevertheless believe that KL is asset stripping us before she sells the club.

There will also always be those who disbelieve any statement of intent to continue our ambition of playing in Europe, at the same time laughing incredulously at our stupidity in believing that the ambition is feasible in the first place.

And there will always be those who believe that despite players leaving as the natural progression at any club, there is no possibility at all that those players sold might be replaced by an even better player, especially not one who could cost less than the fee gained from the sale of one of our players.

In the same way, some cannot contemplate that our next manager might actually be better than our last one and take us further up the league.

Given all of these possibilities, the sensible position is to wait and see what happens, firstly with the new manager's appointment, secondly on which players leave and thirdly which players arrive to replace them.

The bit which causes me the most annoyance is the fact Kruger previously

stated we would not do transfers/deals until a new manager/coach is appointed, yet

have done exactly that and admit being open to do so again...

This makes his/the clubs credibility open to serious question...or its just lies

Didn't it was always a preference rather than a definate - nothings changed here - listen to his interview

It seems an eminently sensible statement to make in light of the mass hysteria on here from those who believe every story fabricated by the media based on rumours and innuendo. But the problem is, if those posters are prepared to believe everything they read in the gutter press, they aren't going to take the word of the board that they do not wish to sell players before a new manager is appointed.

Have a read of this as a clever expose of the crassness of the press in their attempts to destabilise the club and our players:-

http://www.anorak.co.uk/398871/sports/transfer-balls-adam-lallana-signs-for-liverpool-for-10m-less-than-southampton-demand.html/

These same people are the ones who have militated for the board to make a statement every five minutes and when they actually state that apart from the special circumstances surrounding the transfer of Ricky Lambert they have no intention of selling any other players until the new manager is in place, every word is dissected and spun in the direction that suits that particular sceptic's agenda.

Despite asssurances that we have no need to sell any players, there will always be those who nevertheless believe that KL is asset stripping us before she sells the club.

There will also always be those who disbelieve any statement of intent to continue our ambition of playing in Europe, at the same time laughing incredulously at our stupidity in believing that the ambition is feasible in the first place.

And there will always be those who believe that despite players leaving as the natural progression at any club, there is no possibility at all that those players sold might be replaced by an even better player, especially not one who could cost less than the fee gained from the sale of one of our players.

In the same way, some cannot contemplate that our next manager might actually be better than our last one and take us further up the league.

Given all of these possibilities, the sensible position is to wait and see what happens, firstly with the new manager's appointment, secondly on which players leave and thirdly which players arrive to replace them.

Well said that man.

Good statement. I'm happy and very relieved Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw are still at the club.

Realistically they need to stay for Saints to go to the next level.

The board has not caved in and I think most of us would have wanted new strikers in this Summer.

Edited by Andy Durman

Staement is fine, just some on here like to disect and create disinformation and disharmony alll the time'

You could say the north sea is freesing cold in winter and there will be others that would totally disagree for the sake of disagreeing

I feel sorry for school kids, If you get an exam marker on your wave length you will pass , but if not you will fail

The way I read it, I think it's pretty clear that Rickie didn't figure in the plans going forward (maybe due to his age, maybe they've got someone else lined up as a replacement already?) but the board are basically saying we're not in any need to sell or rush into anything, however on some occasions there might be a deal which is in the best interests of all parties, in which case there's no need to hold off progressing things. Seems reasonable to me.

This ^^ Lambert isn't getting any younger and we have clearly been looking to move him on for a while. If Osvaldo had worked out rickie would already be a sub at saints.

Quite, exactly as I was advocating on the day all this first came out, despite some peoples calls to protest, sack the board etc.

I quite understand some peoples doubt and anxiety when all this kinda thing happens, and as Smirking commented, the Board do have to earn our trust to a certain degree, but equally I think that us fans should be a little less accusatory and not so quick to assume the worst. There was (and still is to a lesser degree) quite a dissection of the boards alleged skills and experience going on, purely on the basis of fans interpretations of what was happening. Now that we have this statement and Rickie's letter, it seems there is a lot more understanding of the situation, even if people don't necessarily agree, they can respect the process and decision made.

I know football is an emotional game, and we shouldn't change that, but the *business* of football is not helped by emotion, and fans need to think twice before launching into one next time, IMO.

The 'undisclosed fee' is interesting. Get the impression that two different figures have been floated about. The lower figure is to appease one set of fans, the higher to appease the other. The true figure is likely to be somewhere in the middle. My guess is that we've agreed close to £6-7m for Lambert. Something most in Liverpool would feel is overpaying; while most on here would be a little disappointed with.

Oh, and Alpine, wrong side of the bed this morning?

So the bed-wetters have their statement, and they're now pulling it apart for not saying what they want it to. The board really can't win with some of you lot.

They obviously couldn't say "we won't sell anyone before there's a new manager" because they just have - but in pretty exceptional circumstances. If they now sell Lallana before there's a new manager as well, yeah, it's PR spin - but at the moment this appears genuine, and underlines a consistent position. They don't need to sell (there's no financial crisis), and they would prefer not to deal until there's a manager (in which case they should probably hurry up appointing the right person).

I do think they still could have made Liverpool wait, but Liverpool played the card of threatening to withdraw the offer, we chose to treat that as a genuine position and Lambert might well have not been the same player afterwards if he hadn't gone. I would have greatly preferred it if we had signed some replacements before selling anyone, though.

As for Lambert, I don't begrudge him the move at all, and it'll be interesting to see if he makes any impact for them. He's done better for us than anyone could have reasonably expected when we signed him, and his name will be forever linked with our rise back to the Premier League. Cheers Rickie, you'll be missed.

Cheers The9, saved me from typing the same.

Good post.

"There may be circumstances under which the club will feel it is right for a player to move on."

In Lambert's case, that was probably true. If his boyhood and home club, Liverpool, came in for him then it would seem churlish at best and spiteful at worst to refuse him the chance. I don't begrudge him or the board for making that decision.

That said, I still reckon this means Lallana is nailed on for a move there.

Footballers are supposed to be pros who give 100% for whichever club is paying them.

This is the most disrespectful and contemptuous post ever on this forum.

"We are staying true to our plan and vision and, as a result, we have no need to accept any offers. We are deep in the process of appointing a new manager who will continue to move our club forward. It remains our preference not to partake in any transfers until the new manager is in place. Our scouting & recruitment department continues to monitor targets we have identified to improve our squad, and the new manager will have final input into our recruitment process."

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/02062014-statement-player-interest-rickie-lambert-1592309.aspx#jEx67JDRtH4T3D7o.99

Telling use of words there..not a definitive stance

The 'However' of the following paragraph is used to indicate that the relationship between the two independent clauses of 'we prefer not to sell until the new manager is in' and 'we have agreed to sell RL' are in opposition. We all know and understand why RL has left, but the fact that a player has left means that the first clause can not state "we will not sell until the new manager is in'.

IMO it is a statement used to simply explain the current situation, not setting up wriggle room. We all agree that facts speak louder than words and at the moment there does not seem to be any developments in any other transfer. I didn't catch the name but I cought the tail end of a report complaining that no one in the club is answering their calls. What more can the club do.

Okay, lets make things easier for you, what if someone bid £3m for Hooiveld. Would you want the shutters you describe to remain closed? If not, then your point is flawed.

Do you have to go to such "extremes" to make your point ? :)

+2 Bell End Points whisking their way to Austria.

This is the most disrespectful and contemptuous post ever on this forum.

Agreed. He just wrote it to get a rise out of people. Pretends to be a Saitns fan, but the way that was written I doubt it now.

It's a fair statement but I am a little concerned by the onus they are placing on a new Manager being in place before we want to do any business. I mean, is a new Manager going to change the decision of Lallana and Shaw to leave? I could understand incoming transfers being influenced by the new Manager but if we get a new Manager and then the aforementioned leave doesn't the statement leave it open to interpretation that a little responsibility for that would be on him?

It's a fair statement but I am a little concerned by the onus they are placing on a new Manager being in place before we want to do any business. I mean' date=' is a new Manager going to change the decision of Lallana and Shaw to leave? I could understand incoming transfers being influenced by the new Manager but if we get a new Manager and then the aforementioned leave doesn't the statement leave it open to interpretation that a little responsibility for that would be on him?[/quote']

Thats a very decent point, and one that hadn't occurred to me.

That is one interpretation, but I don't think it's fair. The manager is the most important and influential person with the players at any club, and I think it is only right that the manager has a chance to talk with these players and have a frank discussion about what he thinks he can achieve with them still at the club, and with other potential signings. It's not about putting responsibility onto him if they don't stay, I think it's a recognition by the board that any manager they appoint will clearly be happy to work with the Board, and will be happy with whatever transfer kitty etc, they give him, so he will be best placed to put across the vision of where he wants to take the club. After all, the new manager wouldn't take the job if HE wasn't happy with the vision.

Interesting the Academy is mentioned before the first team in the statement.

Really? As the player who has been the subject of the most media speculation is an academy product, is valued at a record price for a left back, let alone an 18 year old one, and that there has been speculation of other academy products being coveted by other teams, why is that so surprising to you?

Your meanness of spirit is depressing. As a plus, however, SFC have received one of the largest fees ever for a 32 year old.

I am sorry to see him go, of course, but it was good business and so would selling Shaw or Lallana for £30m each be. That sort of dosh would certainly give the club a chance to develop... Whoops, I for got KL, RK amd LR are all doing this to feather their own nests and secure the downfall of SFC!