Blackmore: Players angry with Board & Reed

Saint Charlie

Why should that be the case more than anybody else?

Have you ever considered where he gets most of his inside information from?

Florida Martin, I know you were or are in a journalist / writer / or something to do with the press. I have also seen you make this comment before.

Perhaps I am missing the point - But I find it bizarre.

If I read something from Adam Blackmore (As an example) it would for me carry far more weight than if I read something from Alex Goring Cook.

Why that should be the case is some Journalists, just write utter rubbish, some just regurgitate stories other Journalists have uncovered and some actually have genuine contacts and write articles based on what they have found out.

Adam Blackmore has access and contacts to our players that 99% of other journalists don't. That's why it is the case more than anyone else.

IMHO really think Adam should stay out of this, just whipping up more frenzy.

He should be getting more interviews and asking and probing and questioning better. As somebody said he tends to ask a question then leads in to a get out answer

I like Adam but think he is wrong here and twitter.

He is a Journalist FFS. Its a big story and he gets bombarded with questions from fans.

More interviews are pointless because its all PR waffle.

The club need to 'do' not 'say'.

Lambert and Lallana both love the club and if they don't think something is working then it most likely isn't.

Maybe, but my point is still valid. When was the last time you heard a player say " yeah, everything's great - the board, the manager, the chairman; but I'm leaving anyway"?

No "We" won't Katharina Leibherr will

Why can't people get the simple fact that KL does NOT share her late Father's passion for Saints, and will NOT be investing in players

Also, brace yourselves for a "no ambition yes man" as Manager

A no ambition 'yes man' would surely have said 'yes' by now wouldn't he?

Will it take an open clash between players and people on the board to get the truth out there?

As I said in another thread, I think the Board will just get as much cash as possible for most of them and then replace with players who have signed up for Saints as it is now rather than as it was under Cortese.

We're being run my amateurs, pretty clear to anyone.

Not amateurs, just people who have no real experience of actually running anything at all. Still if people like McGlinchey are still there there should be some experience on hand to sort out at least the daily trivia. However un unchecked Reed just seems to be wreaking havoc. Before (ie under Cortese) he seemed to have a definite and fairly narrow role, now he's got his foot in the power door he seems to be making a few enemies. I do not doubt that he's playing the academy trump card at every turn and the new people are just gobbing it because it sounds to good to be true...which it is. You cannot get into European competition, which seemed to be what Krueger thinks we'll be doing, with a bunch of rag tag kids. When you're Barca and you can get the finest available from Brazil and Argentina at 10 years old you may have a base to do that, they still paid 100 million for Neymar though and half their side is bought in.

Edited by Window Cleaner

People will do well to remember that Les Reed probably wields much more power right now within the club than he could have ever hoped for under someone like Nicola Cortese. This is likely to be amplified by the fact that amongst the board, he is the only one with any footballing background or knowledge and everyone else at boardroom level lacks the knowledge to properly identify any mistakes he might be making.

This is why the composition of the board is all wrong, there should be at least one other "football person" in the boardroom who can accurately and competently keep checks on him.

I don't know the ins and out, I just bothered to post the info. If I answered it would just be an opinion.

But Blackmore is close to the players so ask him what more the Board could have done and he will probably tell you.

His Twitter is @bigadamaport and he is pretty responsive.

So a journalist discloses pertinent information only if he's pressed by random members of the public? And you're not interested in the detail anyway.

selling Lambert, selling Lallana, selling Shaw and possibly Loveren, Bringing in a hockey coach, not talking to players and letting them know of the plan, not holding on to the manager, sacking club servants like Dodd etc

You would of had a field day and you know it

I've said I'm unhappy that Lambert has been sold. If we sell all those players and don't adequately replace them, I'll have no problem being critical of the club.

What plan should the board be letting the players know about? I think part of the problem is Cortese raised expectations very highly within the club with talk of Champions League qualification, anything the current board say is going to go down poorly in comparison to that.

Blackmore implies that the problem is more to do with Reed rather than Krueger.

It has to be. Krueger will (rightly) have been cautioned about interacting with the players because he's a hockey guy and is unlikely to have their respect, at least initially. His role in the club exists in other areas.

Reed is the football guy, and the lead guy on most of the In and Out decisions and negotiations, as well as things like agent interaction, contract negotiation, manager 'supervision', the academy, and keeping a finger on the pulse of the dressing room. If it's not him, who else would it be?

The things that seem to be going pear-shaped are all in Reed's area, and his apparent weakness (including lack of player respect) is exposing Krueger. I have a sneaky feeling that Pochettino may have fuelled some of the player disrespect for Reed, and we'll soon see if that was a self-serving exercise.

In the absence of a manager/head coach, Reed's communication with the players needs to be very strong, but it seems to be almost non-existent. In fact, it almost seems as though he isn't communicating effectively with Krueger, either, judging by how he's been "hung out to dry" lately.

We desperately need to appoint a new manager so that these links with the players can be rebuilt as quickly as possible, because I don't think Reed will do it.

I would be quite happy in the Championship the PL is just money money money with the fans demanding more of someone else's money be spent to get to a position which is unattainable.

SFC are not one of the elite clubs and in the current environment never will investing another £50m is not going to guarantee CL or European Action

OK Katharina, I think the penny is beginning to drop for some on here

People will do well to remember that Les Reed probably wields much more power right now within the club than he could have ever hoped for under someone like Nicola Cortese. This is likely to be amplified by the fact that amongst the board, he is the only one with any footballing background or knowledge and everyone else at boardroom level lacks the knowledge to properly identify any mistakes he might be making.

This is why the composition of the board is all wrong, there should be at least one other "football person" in the boardroom who can accurately and competently keep checks on him.

I agree with most of that, but the problem is that Reed is supposed to be the football guy on the board. If you have to hire someone else to "keep checks on him", he probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

The bigger problem is that it might take a while for Katharina and Ralph to realize that he's not up to the job, and a lot of damage could have happened by then. They need some effective counsel from someone other than Reed, but will they know where to look?

The hope rests in hiring a strong-willed manager capable of taking the playing/player side on his shoulders, but will Reed want to see a strong-willed manager now that he has more power of his own?

OK Katharina, I think the penny is beginning to drop for some on here

So do you want her to invest her money so meet your agenda or like me dont really care I will just support SFC like I have done over 50 years and seen some great games and footballers

We wont go down as we are a top club but not an elite one

So do you want her to invest her money so meet your agenda or like me dont really care I will just support SFC like I have done over 50 years and seen some great games and footballers

How do you know we won't go down? Without a good Managerial appointment and appropriate enough signings we'd be in a world of trouble.

:lol:

I wouldn't be so confident.

It has to be. Krueger will (rightly) have been cautioned about interacting with the players because he's a hockey guy and is unlikely to have their respect, at least initially. His role in the club exists in other areas.

Reed is the football guy, and the lead guy on most of the In and Out decisions and negotiations, as well as things like agent interaction, contract negotiation, manager 'supervision', the academy, and keeping a finger on the pulse of the dressing room. If it's not him, who else would it be?

The things that seem to be going pear-shaped are all in Reed's area, and his apparent weakness (including lack of player respect) is exposing Krueger. I have a sneaky feeling that Pochettino may have fuelled some of the player disrespect for Reed, and we'll soon see if that was a self-serving exercise.

In the absence of a manager/head coach, Reed's communication with the players needs to be very strong, but it seems to be almost non-existent. In fact, it almost seems as though he isn't communicating effectively with Krueger, either, judging by how he's been "hung out to dry" lately.

We desperately need to appoint a new manager so that these links with the players can be rebuilt as quickly as possible, because I don't think Reed will do it.

Totally agree, though the post-Cortese power vacuum that Reed has happily stepped into has more causes IMO. It is due not only to RK's lack of interaction with the players but also his reluctance to ask Reed tough questions while he's getting up to speed. My hunch is that it's also due to MP's disassociation from the planning side. Wouldn't be surprised if MP became less and less involved in planning for next season once he had made up his mind that his future lay elsewhere -pretty early on IMO.

Edited by shurlock

Can deny MLT just owned Adam Blackmore there - who frankly is looking like a bit of an idiot saying that the players will all leave because they are unhappy. We had the tightest camp in the PL last month, unhappiness doesn't come that quickly. Yes bemusement and confusion, but a new manager = new opportunity and hope.

Totally agree, though the post-Cortese power vacuum that Reed has happily stepped into has more causes IMO. It is due not only to RK's lack of interaction with the players but also his reluctance to ask Reed tough questions while he's getting up to speed. My hunch is that it's also due to MP's disassociation from the planning side. Wouldn't be surprised if MP became less and less involved in planning for next season once he had made up his mind that his future lay elsewhere -pretty early on IMO.
Yep, seems a reasonable assessment to me. Could the only good thing about the current situation be that it will alert Krueger to any limitations that Reed may have in his new role and short-falls in their current organisation set-up?

Yep, seems a reasonable assessment to me. Could the only good thing about the current situation be that it will alert Krueger to any limitations that Reed may have in his new role and short-falls in their current organisation set-up?

Would hope so if things continue along the same path. If so, it might mean bringing in a proper footballing CEO and a strong, experienced manager. If anything, a British manager might be good idea - just because they're used to having control over transfers and won't be pushovers. The more checks and balances, the better.

Florida Martin, I know you were or are in a journalist / writer / or something to do with the press. I have also seen you make this comment before.

Perhaps I am missing the point - But I find it bizarre.

If I read something from Adam Blackmore (As an example) it would for me carry far more weight than if I read something from Alex Goring Cook.

Why that should be the case is some Journalists, just write utter rubbish, some just regurgitate stories other Journalists have uncovered and some actually have genuine contacts and write articles based on what they have found out.

Adam Blackmore has access and contacts to our players that 99% of other journalists don't. That's why it is the case more than anyone else.

I'm not sure, but think you have made the same point as me.

People are more prepared to take one journo's word for something than another on no clear basis or understanding than a personal preference.

Of course, all journalism is predicated on trust; trust in how the information was obtained, and trust that the information obtained is correct.

If a journalist has no trust, he has no audience.

By and large, BBC journos have the need for audience trust inculcated into them. It's the cornerstone of BBC journalism. But it doesn't mean to say all BBC journos operate that way all the time, every time. They don't and they probably can't if they want to be seen to be the first to break stories.

Other journos on here get lambasted as being unreliable and for making up stories, but only the blindly stupid among journalists do that. Alex Crook has very good sources and contacts and the information he receives he publishes in good faith the same way as Adam Blackmore.

Any professional practicing journalist will tell you the most frustrating thing about the trade is that you can never publish everything you know.

I say professional and practicing journalist because these days everyone is a journalist - even you. By coming on here, you have become part of the army of citizen journalists that did not exist 15 years ago.

Citizen journalists have their sources and contacts the same as the professionals, and the those sources and contacts may not be mutually exclusive.

Like anybody else on this board, I have my contacts and sources, and journalists are among them and I hear loads of stuff. But I try and be discreet and discerning in what I give out because I would not want to risk compromising the person who gave it to me.

From stuff I had heard in the past, I posted some while ago (18 months? Can't remember) that Les Reed was one of the most despised and dangerous men in football. I was shot down in flames at the time, but it doesn't give me a warm glow of smugness to see that others as now making that assertion.

Journalism is not an exact science. It can't be because it relies too heavily on human interaction, and all the risks that brings with it.

Because of that, it is nigh-on impossible to quantify success in journalism.

People on here deride the red-tops and tabloids as purveyors of lies and untruths. But which papers continue to sell the biggest numbers? (or have the highest hits on their websites if you are going to advance the argument that newspapers are dying).

Even in these tough times for papers, The Sun and The Mail (derided on here for being purveyors of lies, etc) continue to rack up big profits. The Guardian (ethical, tried and trusted) has been run at at a loss for years and leaks money as fast as it leaks circulation.

Which is the best indicator of journalistic 'success'?

Does the British public enjoy being lied to that much that it is prepared to pay for the privilege?

Rant over, this is my last post of the day (I think, I'm not good at counting) and I'm off for my dinner.

Bill, our friend on the inside the last time I spoke to him and he should know, was very scathing, called him a weak man who had great difficulty coming to decisions and was particularly sarcastic about the end of season statement. In addition it does look that Krueger is seen as an outsider in football terms and out of his depth. (The same accusation was levelled at Woodward at the time.) Maybe Krueger needs to rein Reed in and get a HIGH QUALITY manager in NOW. It's all very well delegating but he is the bloody Chairman and he needs to start being one. Furthermore Reed's record out of youth development in senior club football is abysmal and maybe that is what is winding the players up.

Dave & Bill: Seeing as Steven Gerrard is also scathing of Reed, and has been spending a fair bit of time with certain Saints players of late then that can hardly help.

Worth remembering though that Gareth Rogers is CEO, wouldnt that make him Reed's Boss?

Thanks, Ron

Bill, our friend on the inside the last time I spoke to him and he should know, was very scathing, called him a weak man who had great difficulty coming to decisions and was particularly sarcastic about the end of season statement. In addition it does look that Krueger is seen as an outsider in football terms and out of his depth. (The same accusation was levelled at Woodward at the time.) Maybe Krueger needs to rein Reed in and get a HIGH QUALITY manager in NOW. It's all very well delegating but he is the bloody Chairman and he needs to start being one. Furthermore Reed's record out of youth development in senior club football is abysmal and maybe that is what is winding the players up.

Dave, the only real reservation I had about Ralph when it was clear that his role would be away from the playing side was whether he could acclimatize to football quickly enough. The jury, at least among the open-minded, is still very much out on that one.

Your post forces me to add another caveat to Ralph, and this one is equally troubling, given where things sit. He is not a guy to don "hob-nailed boots", even in a situation that may cry out for them. Reigning someone in takes a lot longer if you take the kind of gentle, subtle approach that Ralph is very likely to take.

If we are to turn the corner on this horror period, the impetus will come from a strong-willed manager rather than from Ralph.

Dave & Bill: Seeing as Steven Gerrard is also scathing of Reed, and has been spending a fair bit of time with certain Saints players of late then that can hardly help.

Worth remembering though that Gareth Rogers is CEO, wouldnt that make him Reed's Boss?

Thanks, Ron

What did Gerrard say about Reed?

I thought Rogers was much more focused on the finances than anything to do with the playing side, and the only real "head honcho" in a team of specialists would be Ralph, but please correct me if that's wrong.

I thought Rogers was much more focused on the finances than anything to do with the playing side, and the only real "head honcho" in a team of specialists would be Ralph, but please correct me if that's wrong.

Think he said he had "zero respect" for him when he was involved with the England setup, or something along those lines.

If this is true then you can 100% guarantee that Les Reed will have the next manager appointed be a 'Yes' man. This means lower league or mate of his. Steve Maclaren is our best hope now, but it is more likely to be someone with a lot less experience who will be desperate and out of their depth so Reed keeps control.

Thanks, Ron

It wasn't Ron, he wasn't present but Eric was.

Surely transfers cut across several departments - negotiating a fee requires a varied skillset, so entrusting the task to purely football people seems ridiculous. To say that it falls outside the responsibilities of the CEOs is a cop out IMO.

Think he said he had "zero respect" for him when he was involved with the England setup, or something along those lines.

The evidence seems to be mounting that Reed might be the problem - I just hope that Katharina and Ralph are becoming aware of it.

On a side note, I can remember when we used to fear our players getting England call-ups because, after chatting with other players, they would soon find out that they were under-paid. There was also, supposedly, some player-to-player "tapping up" going on.

It may be just a coincidence but the three players most likely to leave us all became part of the England set-up his year.

I don't think we know half of the story behind what's going on now, and yet that doesn't stop people from firing bullets at Katharine and Ralph.

The problem may be Cortese micro-managed and nothing happened without his thumb print on it. If Krueger delegates without interference that is a polar change, it worked with Cortese and the players knew who was steering the ship, however they may not buy into the present apparent rudderless version.