Player Contracts

Dig Dig

The board (especially Reed) has gotten a lot of stick for not being able to keep our best players, and lately there has been more and more muttering over lack of signings. But my biggest concern, and what I see as the most worrying sign of poor management, is that new contracts hasn't been offered to Cork and Fonte. This should really be a no-brainer, as they both are quality players and important figureheads in our squad. Latest news from Alex Crook (yeah, yeah, he only gets his news from this forum, blah, blah) is that a Fonte has been promised a new contract by letter, but yet nobody has talked to him in person. Fonte, according to Crook, is not happy with the way negotiations has taken place. This adds to a number of examples of poor communication between the club and the players, as also Adam Blackmore has reported about.

Now, I know Guan indicated that contract will be taken care of, but that the club priority at this time is to make new signings happen. Imo the club should be more worried about keeping the players we already have happy, or else they might have to find replacement for them as well. Cardiff has already shown interest in Fonte (and according to Crook offered him better wages than we will), and I'm sure many clubs are drooling over Cork as well.

Hope I'm wrong, but this situation is imo the most worrying symptom of the boards lack of competence when it comes to football matters.

Don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but appears Fonte is a bit miffed with how his contract negotiations are going:

Alex Goring Crook @alex_crook · 11h

Think #saintsfc are gonna have an issue to confront with Fonte. Told he is unhappy about the way contract negotiations have been handled

Fonte has been informed he will be offered a new two-yeat deal but only by letter. Yet to speak to any #saintsfc official in person.

Also the wages #cardiff are willing to pay Fonte outweigh what #saints are offering.

The Fonte camp not the first to make mutterings about lack of communication at #saintsfc this summer clearly an issue that needs addressing

I hope #saintsfc can resolve any issues with Fonte and Cork. Cannot afford to lose any more big personalties from the dressing room.

I have absolutely no idea why Les Reed or any of the recruitment department seem to have such difficulty speaking to the players like human beings - social anxiety issues? It might sound a bit precious on the face of it, but there has clearly been a bit of a culture shock for the players in terms of how they were dealt with before the new board were appointed, and how they are dealt with now. This time last summer we had sewn up new contracts for Davies, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Boruc, Shaw, and Chambers, yet the new board have still been unable to tie one first-team player down to a new deal. A bit embarrassing that a Championship club is offering greater wages than we are willing to give Fonte. It needs sorting fast and the board need to start digesting some of the criticism they are getting from the local media. These are loyal, low-maintenance players we are talking about! Let's hope we don't get to January and Les Reed is still talking about being 'relaxed' about the situations with Cork, Fonte, and J-Rod's contracts.

Don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but appears Fonte is a bit miffed with how his contract negotiations are going:

Think #saintsfc are gonna have an issue to confront with Fonte. Told he is unhappy about the way contract negotiations have been handled

Fonte has been informed he will be offered a new two-yeat deal but only by letter. Yet to speak to any #saintsfc official in person.

Also the wages #cardiff are willing to pay Fonte outweigh what #saints are offering.

The Fonte camp not the first to make mutterings about lack of communication at #saintsfc this summer clearly an issue that needs addressing

I hope #saintsfc can resolve any issues with Fonte and Cork. Cannot afford to lose any more big personalties from the dressing room.

I have absolutely no idea why Les Reed or any of the recruitment department seem to have such difficulty speaking to the players like human beings - social anxiety issues? It might sound a bit precious on the face of it, but there has clearly been a bit of a culture shock for the players in terms of how they were dealt with before the new board were appointed, and how they are dealt with now. This time last summer we had sewn up new contracts for Davies, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Boruc, Shaw, and Chambers, yet the new board have still been unable to tie one first-team player down to a new deal. A bit embarrassing that a Championship club is offering greater wages than we are willing to give Fonte. It needs sorting fast and the board need to start digesting some of the criticism they are getting from the local media. These are loyal, low-maintenance players we are talking about! Let's hope we don't get to January and Les Reed is still talking about being 'relaxed' about the situations with Cork, Fonte, and J-Rod's contracts.

I thought the advice on here was that Crook knows nothing?

Firstly it is a bit concerning hearing this but a bit of perspective...

1) most posters have been saying they want two new CBs and don't want to see Fonte in our team unless there are injuries. He is currently on a contract and towards the end of his career. Not knowing the clubs plans and progress it is hard to judge how important he will be. Taking it to an extreme, if we sign Vlaar, the Celtic CB and one of the two feyanoord CBs we have been linked with - do we need Fonte, Yoshida and Jos?

2) why embarrassed if we don't want to offer the same as Cardiff? We know we could afford to pay him more than he is worth. If we choose to offer less, it could be because of the above, or because Cardiff are offering silly money.

Much of this applies to Cork. He is currently not good enough to be a first choice in midfield. We also have Reed and JWP getting better,

(Do wonder if RK may feel Reed has already over taken Cork). We have been linked with Classie who would also be ahead of cork. So at best 3rd choice, possibly 6th choice - maybe why not rushing in to tying club to long contract?

1) most posters have been saying they want two new CBs and don't want to see Fonte in our team unless there are injuries. He is currently on a contract and towards the end of his career. Not knowing the clubs plans and progress it is hard to judge how important he will be. Taking it to an extreme, if we sign Vlaar, the Celtic CB and one of the two feyanoord CBs we have been linked with - do we need Fonte, Yoshida and Jos?

2) why embarrassed if we don't want to offer the same as Cardiff? We know we could afford to pay him more than he is worth. If we choose to offer less, it could be because of the above, or because Cardiff are offering silly money.

Much of this applies to Cork. He is currently not good enough to be a first choice in midfield. We also have Reed and JWP getting better,

(Do wonder if RK may feel Reed has already over taken Cork). We have been linked with Classie who would also be ahead of cork. So at best 3rd choice, possibly 6th choice - maybe why not rushing in to tying club to long contract?

This, we are not even sure if they are part of RK's plans for next season.

Fonte is 30, not nearing the end of his career. He will be our best CB once Lovren leaves so we are nowhere near a position where we can treat him as if he is expendable. I'm not personally embarrassed by the fact that Cardiff are offering him more wages, but it does seem to suggest that we don't value him very highly if a Championship club is able to offer a better wage package. That the situation has dragged on for so long is getting embarrassing.

Don't think it applies to Cork either, as once again he was one of our most reliable performers last season. IMO he is our second best CM option after Morgan, no where near being 'possibly 6th choice'. Reed and JWP might usurp him at some point but it is unlikely to be next season, and even if that did happen, he is an invaluable squad member. I just think we are treating two players, who have always come across as content at the club and low-maintenance guys (a rarity these days), a bit shoddily. Both still have a lot to offer us and I think in order to prevent further unrest in the dressing room, this should have been a priority matter.

This, we are not even sure if they are part of RK's plans for next season.

Funny that the recruitment department are expected to identify transfer targets independently of the manager, but with contract extensions it is only after the new manager has fully assessed them. Surely Reed, who has said that takes responsibility for all player contracts, is the one predominantly in charge of this? And surely he would have had some notion about whether to extend their contracts before even Poch left the club? Seems like a convenient excuse for me, they are both top-half Premier League players.

"if we sign Vlaar, the Celtic CB and one of the two feyanoord CBs"

Even if we take things to the extreme, what f**king planet are you on?

Funny that the recruitment department are expected to identify transfer targets independently of the manager, but with contract extensions it is only after the new manager has fully assessed them. Surely Reed, who has said that takes responsibility for all player contracts, is the one predominantly in charge of this? And surely he would have had some notion about whether to extend their contracts before even Poch left the club? Seems like a convenient excuse for me, they are both top-half Premier League players.

Except in the case of Jrod.

:lol::lol::lol: sent him a letter ffs!

Dear Sir/Madam,

We might offer you a two year deal.

Yours Sincerely,

Southampton Football Club

NickG, what are you on about here???

2 first team, nailed on players. First names on the team sheet as it currently stands. Also, whoa re the 'most posters'' who don't want to see Fonte in the side? Why do people say stuff like this to make their point sound more dramatic, it's literately just 0.0000000001% of the fan base who has said they don't want Fonte in the side - probably Saint Richmond.

At the end of the day, we've already lost too many important players - albeit for good fee's. We now cannot afford to lose other important players due to poor contract situations. We do actually need a team! And at the moment, Fonte and Cork are damn critical to us.

There some things you can paint a positive outlook to, but your post is literately clinging onto the tiniest little bits of thread.

The train is already leaving the station. Reed is clueless and Koeman is happy to bring in all his own players and let Reed dismantle a squad that finished 8 th last year. Crook is highly accurate. They are just lucky to have two highly professional players who have not spat the dummy despite their poor treatment. Both players and the supporters deserve better.

I doubt we will sign those CBs but point is we don't know and therefore don't know plans for Fonte. I have rated him since we signed him, seems decent character, happy to start with him.

Last season Cork was not a starting player, first name on sheet etc. If Wanyama hadn't been injured he would have hardly played. Until then, even if their were changes in central midfield JwP and Davis were used more. He is another good player and character but currently (depending on departures, formation changes, injuries ) not automatic first 11 player.

6th choice is an extreme but if RK signs his last year captain and Dutch international I think it is fairly safe he will be ahead of Cork in RK's plans.

Reed and JWP are very well thought of and I am sure if not getting game time would be wanted by decent clubs.

Think Cork will impress RK but equally he may seem him as a squad player.

NickG, what are you on about here???

2 first team, nailed on players. First names on the team sheet as it currently stands. Also, whoa re the 'most posters'' who don't want to see Fonte in the side? Why do people say stuff like this to make their point sound more dramatic, it's literately just 0.0000000001% of the fan base who has said they don't want Fonte in the side - probably Saint Richmond.

At the end of the day, we've already lost too many important players - albeit for good fee's. We now cannot afford to lose other important players due to poor contract situations. We do actually need a team! And at the moment, Fonte and Cork are damn critical to us.

There some things you can paint a positive outlook to, but your post is literately clinging onto the tiniest little bits of thread.

This info isn't positive. Whatever plans the communication sounds worrying. If you look at any thread from end of season about who people want signed, the almost unanimous view was sign first choice CB to partner Lovren, and him being third choice. If, big if I know, and hasnt happened, but if at end of season Lovren hadn't got stroppy and someone like Vlaar signed no one would worry about a contract offer for Fonte. Point is we don't know if we will sign a decent CB, or two or..

Cork has never been nailed on first name on sheet since VW arrived. You are just wrong. You may feel he should have been (I don't , I agree with MP's choice of MS and VW)

Except in the case of Jrod.

Exactly. Shocked into action by a bid from a top 6 club no doubt.

It clearly says earlier in this very thread that Rodriguez played enough matches to trigger a clause that meant contractually he had to be offered a new contract - which means that, yes, he is an exception.

In addition, Rodriguez is due a contract extension and has been since he made the appearance threshold in his original contract. Can't see him wanting to sign one now.

...though the source isn't necessarily reliable.

Fonte hasn't been offered a deal yet. cardiff are offering him more money than SFC.

which is it?

His agent might have a good idea of what Saints are offering and an excellent idea of what Cardiff have offered.