Lambert Replacement?

Saint J 77

Who says we will have funds available? Not once has RK or anyone from board said there will be significant funds available. The fact he keeps banging on about academy and how we will use youth to be competitive suggests limited funds will be made available.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

Well there are funds in the club insofar as player sales revenue and TV rights income aggregates to a pretty substantial figure. As to whether the funds are available - given the transfer activity of the last five years (we have clearly invested), it would seem reasonable to suggest funds are available. It is possible that Liebherr has decided to turn off the tap in terms of investment of course, but nothing more than a guess, whereas constant investment over five years has empirically happened.

As for 'significant', your words not mine. I merely suggested that we would likely have more than £4m available, I am not suggesting we are suddenly going to spend a fortune.

Maybe I'm being daft, but wouldn't KL get a lot more money by selling the club as a going concern with as many of its star players as possible, rather than asset stripping?

Not daft at all. I wouldn't rule out the club being sold in its entirety. I just wonder if there isn't a kind of 'double sales' project. By this I mean the plan is to sell off the bulk of the current squad, upgrade Martin Hunter as the manager and promote the fringe and academy players - so next season's squad would include the likes of Rowe, Reed, Targett, Gallagher, Sims, Stephens, Hesketh, Isgrove and other youth team players along with, say, Hooiveld, Gazzanigga, Mayuka and the odd loan or free transfer coming in. Very little, if any, cash will be spent on new players.

Then sell off those players and repeat the process. If we survive then so much the better but when relegation(s?) eventually comes along (whether that is sooner or later is only of mild concern) then there is the parachute money, before selling off what's left of a struggling club in whatever division we happen to be in.

Who knows, the academy lads might surprise us all and become our new legends but I fear from now on 'the project' will be all about selling with little buying.

I'm mildly surprised to see myself suggesting this conclusion; until yesterday morning I had fallen for Mr Krueger's statement, hook-line-and-sinker. I had also been impressed by the statement of Mr Reed just before the Everton game (see below). But it all looks so hollow now. Time will tell, but the good times are unlikely to be repeated for a generation or two.

I can only hope the above scenario is all completely wrong.

+++++++++++++++++

Mr Les Reed, 25 April

"No club has been given permission to talk to any of our players. That will remain so. As far as the policy is concerned, we’ve had a great season. We want to build on that season. We want to improve the squad going forward.

“We want to retain the players we’ve got. They are all contracted. They all have existing contracts and we intend for them to honour those contracts. Any enquiries we get will probably be met with a ‘no – not for sale’. Our intention is to keep this very good team together and build on it by bringing new players to improve on that"

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/25042014-les-reed-statement-on-pochettino-and-players-1509755.aspx.

Aside from Dellday's dull attempt at humour, the only player aged 32 plus, who has ever gone for more than £7m, is Cannavaro the year he captained Italy to World Cup victory.

Every now and then I see, in amongst the rampant hysteria, a post on here based on facts, sound logic and reason. Very refreshing, thank you!

He will be replaced by Gallagher. He will play the majority of games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely this. I have no worries that the club will attempt to replace Lambert, but I've never seen Gallagher's games in the Premier League last season as nothing but the blooding of one our main strikers for next year. And will he deliver? If the club don't find an effective replacement for Rickie, then I bloody hope so.

Anyone with a memory knows that for much of this season Rickie has come in for stick for putting in below par performances. Personally, I think he's had his last season as a worthy first choice center forward - for Saints, let alone Liverpool. Getting 4 million for him is an absolute steal.

Anyone with a memory knows that for much of this season Rickie has come in for stick for putting in below par performances. Personally, I think he's had his last season as a worthy first choice center forward - for Saints, let alone Liverpool. Getting 4 million for him is an absolute steal.

A steal if we had ossie wanting to be here and Rodriguez fit

The timing is poor and in my eyes the value still to low (without knowing the set-up of any add-ons), but it is somewhat ironic that this board was excited about replacing Lambert 12 months ago, a fair few posts about him being washed up and not it's the end of the world that we're cashing in on him. If we don't stand firm on Lallana I'll be worried and disappointed.

The timing is poor and in my eyes the value still to low (without knowing the set-up of any add-ons), but it is somewhat ironic that this board was excited about replacing Lambert 12 months ago, a fair few posts about him being washed up and not it's the end of the world that we're cashing in on him. If we don't stand firm on Lallana I'll be worried and disappointed.

£4mill is fck all though. Our bench is often so weak and just getting out players over 30 on the basis of they have little resale value is foolhardy. Still has loads to offer in terms of experience, professionalism and helping youngsters.

Proven at the level and as Norwich found out finding replacements is not straightforward. Might not be the player he was this season but to say a steal is ridiculous.

Edit: sorry was meant to quote the steal post not yours Mash

We were in a completely different position 6-12 months ago -we had strikers fit and a squad of attacking talent that didn't look like it was going to be dismantled; the assumption was that the resources were available to improve on the position; and the fee touted was considerably higher.

We were in a completely different position 6-12 months ago -we had strikers fit and a squad of attacking talent that didn't look like it was going to be dismantled; the assumption was that the resources were available to improve on the position; and the fee touted was considerably higher.
Did you expect Lambert to be our first choice striker next season? He's been class for us, but won't go on for ever. I'd have kept him personally and I think the timing is wrong and the price too low, but he will need replacing very soon, regardless of whether we sell him or not.

Perhaps Danny Welbeck is part of the deal for Shaw to United?

Cortèse' saints I could see convincing wellbeck of our ambition to push on, making a name for himself as an out an out striker.

This new version, no chance in a million years is wellbeck going to consider coming here. The ambition is muted and the only words on people's lips are how much and when rather than stay away.

Cortèse' saints I could see convincing wellbeck of our ambition to push on, making a name for himself as an out an out striker.

This new version, no chance in a million years is wellbeck going to consider coming here. The ambition is muted and the only words on people's lips are how much and when rather than stay away.

Hear what you are saying, hoping your wrong. Even under Lowe and complete incompetence towards the end, we still signed Morgan. Just hoping our new gang learn fast.

Did you expect Lambert to be our first choice striker next season? He's been class for us, but won't go on for ever. I'd have kept him personally and I think the timing is wrong and the price too low, but he will need replacing very soon, regardless of whether we sell him or not.

It depends on the board's plans - but am much less confident that we're committed to strengthening in every position. So no I wouldn't sell him and, compared to last season, there's a much greater chance he'd be our first choice striker.

It depends on the board's plans - but am much less confident that we're committed to strengthening in every position. So no I wouldn't sell him and, compared to last season, there's a much greater chance he'd be our first choice striker.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. :?

Put it another way,if the club didn't buy an attempt at a new first choice forward this summer, would you complain about that?

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. :?

Put it another way,if the club didn't buy an attempt at a new first choice forward this summer, would you complain about that?

Anything less than one proven and one Jrod-type striker (unproven but with potential) and I'll be disappointed. That assumes of course we sell no other strikers.

Anything less than one proven and one Jrod-type striker (unproven but with potential) and I'll be disappointed. That assumes of course we sell no other strikers.
So that's assuming we don't sell Osvaldo or Mayuka?

So you didn't expect or hope for Lambert to be our first choice striker next season anyway, neither did I.

So that's assuming we don't sell Osvaldo or Mayuka?

So you didn't expect or hope for Lambert to be our first choice striker next season anyway, neither did I.

Taking it for granted we can shift Osvaldo in some way. Hope and expectation are different things - I'd hope that Lambert wouldn't be our first choice striker, do I expect it -much less so today than before. Indeed, if KL is scaling back the ambition, then our definition of a first choice striker has to change.

Maybe I'm being daft, but wouldn't KL get a lot more money by selling the club as a going concern with as many of its star players as possible, rather than asset stripping?

No, sadly it doesn't work like that. Expensive football clubs are not a attractive proposition. The true value lies in the assets and the profit they've made. They're a quick return on an investment. The club without all the weight of players and their earnings is far more attractive to potential buyers.

No, sadly it doesn't work like that. Expensive football clubs are not a attractive proposition. The true value lies in the assets and the profit they've made. They're a quick return on an investment. The club without all the weight of players and their earnings is far more attractive to potential buyers.

Can you name any club that has done similar before? Nope me neither

To further Kingsland's suggestion, I've pulled this from the "Replacement for MP" thread. The last line is the key part for this thread.

Some interesting comments about Koeman from Feyenoord fan @Markla94:

I don't know much about the Saints, but I do know they have a good academy. He would be a good one, he is someone who has

brought a lot of academy players into the first team, both at Ajax and Feyenoord.

When he came to Feyenoord, we had no money and only academy players. He created something very special.

So I think he is a good coach in hard situations (I explained the context of the current situation). But when you have money to spend, he can bring in the right players for sure.

In that case, he is the ideal next manager.

Some rumors today that he wants to bring Graziano Pelle along. Would be thrilling for you to have him. Best striker in NL.

This sort of thing magnifies the importance of getting a top-notch manager in ASAP.

Bollix to that. Chelsea are rumoured to be interested in Luke Shaw so a swap deal and cash we get Lukaku and 10 million they get Luke Shaw I'd be happy with that.

Ok, ok. Lukaku + £8m for Shaw and use the £8m+ some transfer funds to get The Pea from United.