To Renew or not to Renew ..........

Bourne Valley Saint

It turned out that I was (finally) made redundant from my job this week, so my decision not to renew has been justified by events I suppose - not that this is much of a consultation.

I know the renewal window is now closed but I'd urge any Saints fan reading this to stop worrying about who the next manager might be or whether this or that player is leaving. Too hell with all that, if you can afford it then get yourself a season ticket, or at least come as often as you can, because life is short and there is nothing quite like actually going to a football match is there - an experience this sorry fan is going to miss terribly.

It turned out that I was (finally) made redundant from my job this week, so my decision not to renew has been justified by events I suppose - not that this is much of a consultation.

I know the renewal window is now closed but I'd urge any Saints fan reading this to stop worrying about who the next manager might be or whether this or that player is leaving. Too hell with all that, if you can afford it then get yourself a season ticket, or at least come as often as you can, because life is short and there is nothing quite like actually going to a football match is there - an experience this sorry fan is going to miss terribly.

That sucks mate sorry to hear.

You could always take a leaf out of Liverpools book though, offer the club £400 and say you'll pay the rest if Saints win the league as an add on but they've got till the WC to decide. To put pressure on them, let the daily echo know you are considering getting season ticket at Bompey, that'll **** em up apparently.

That's a right pis*er.

Awful news I hope things improve quickly but totally agree with your message. Good luck for the future.

Did anybody get charged a tenner for the privilege of a seat transfer?

Got told this morning that they were charging people a tenner but wouldn't charge me because I was only moving from one seat to the adjacent one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I missed the season ticket renewal. Had a phone call from club today asking if I want to renew at renewal price.

Anyone looking to renew this week might want to use this info.

I've just been speaking to an associate who said that he had decided not to renew this season and the club telephoned him asking if he wanted to change his mind. He was offered an extra discount of initially 5% which rose to 10% if he renewed there and then on the telephone. This discount was on the original renewal price.

I've just been speaking to an associate who said that he had decided not to renew this season and the club telephoned him asking if he wanted to change his mind. He was offered an extra discount of initially 5% which rose to 10% if he renewed there and then on the telephone. This discount was on the original renewal price.

You don't know who's on a wind-up on here these days but if that's true that's a hefty discount and would probably made it cheaper than what he paid last season. Maybe I'll have to phone up and cancel.

I did get a nice card saying 'thank you' through the post though, there must be money sloshing around SMS .

You don't know who's on a wind-up on here these days but if that's true that's a hefty discount and would probably made it cheaper than what he paid last season. Maybe I'll have to phone up and cancel.

I did get a nice card saying 'thank you' through the post though, there must be money sloshing around SMS .

This chap is genuine, but he still didn't renew despite the offer. He told me that a guard from the corporate had told him that sales are way down so far this year (30%?).

I renewed straight away but still no card :(

This chap is genuine, but he still didn't renew despite the offer. He told me that a guard from the corporate had told him that sales are way down so far this year (30%?).

I renewed straight away but still no card :(

2 cards today 1 per ticket, "it will be wirh you soon" they say. At least it was sent 2nd class so a bit of money saving thought :-)

That 5% rise in season ticket prices, despite the club pocketing an extra £32m in income this year seems to have paid off well then. Wonder how many of those lost season ticket holders will find something else to do and not return when the club need their money most?

That 5% rise in season ticket prices, despite the club pocketing an extra £32m in income this year seems to have paid off well then. Wonder how many of those lost season ticket holders will find something else to do and not return when the club need their money most?

I was told that once you give up your season ticket you never get another one.

I wasn't going to for all the reasons mentioned by many. But in the end relented, but by going to a less expensive part of the ground.

Why? I couldn't bare to miss the company, and the banter.

Plus I am hoping that we will see a new talented young squad blending with a few experienced incoming players emerging out of the ashes of this torrid time.

Hope is eternal.

Thank god we didn't extend the stadium when those on here were demanding it. The last few weeks has shows the backbone of our support, a bit of stormy weather and a large section are considering turning their back on the club.

Edited by Turkish

Thank god we didn't extend the stadium when those on here we're demanding it. The last few weeks has shows the backbone of our support, a bit of stormy weather and a large section are considering turning their back on the club.

Have you bought your ticket yet super fan?

Renewal or new purchase?

I was told that once you give up your season ticket you never get another one.

Think there is a lot of truth in that. We've gone from going to every home game to a few, to none. We've gotten out of the habit of going & now CBA with 6hrs in a car.

Hasn't impacted our away games though, still doing 10/12 a season.

I think there are various reasons: location is a big one and depends on how far you move, but transport is expensive. I had a season, moved (well!) away and renewed 7 years later. I renewed this year too - on the morning Pocchettino's move was announced - but any hesitation was more due to the cost and the last minute changes to K.O. times.

Fortunately I've got a short summer contract that will help pay for it as the credit card bill dropped on the mat just this morning.

It's bad for customer loyalty if they do reduce the price later, as no one will renew early next year. Basically deflation will set in and everyone will defer their purchases.

If they do reduce the prices later, they could offer a sweetener by sending out "free" tickets to cup games for those who had already purchased at the original price. Of course, we may not get any home games and we may not take them seriously and get knocked out at the first attempt, but it would at least be a gesture and could potentially boost the crowd for the early cup games when we are traditionally poorly supported. Alternatively they could send out vouchers for the club shop for merchandise.

Of course, they could have some balls and keep the prices, sign some top quality players and watch the fans come flooding back as we take the Premiership by storm! ;)

As the originator of this post I can now report that I have just renewed. I couldn't stand the thought of not going on a regular basis and I've taken my two girls (now aged 9 & 11) since they were 2 years old and don't want to curtail their interest in Saints. It has cost a fortune though - £655.00 for mine, £374.00 for the 11 year old and £172.00 for the 9 year old. (plus a £7.50 booking fee). I've lost the decent seats we had but have managed to get three together not too far away in the Kingsland North. Of course I should have renewed when the early bird discount was on offer but at the time I was so fed up with the likelihood of our manager leaving, Lambert leaving and a whole host of others bidding to make their escape - especially after such a good season. What was the point? However, after a few deep breaths, the appointment of a respected manager and not wanting to miss out on the matchday experience with my mates, I have just parted with £1208.50 and I don't regret it for a minute!!

As the originator of this post I can now report that I have just renewed. I couldn't stand the thought of not going on a regular basis and I've taken my two girls (now aged 9 & 11) since they were 2 years old and don't want to curtail their interest in Saints. It has cost a fortune though - £655.00 for mine, £374.00 for the 11 year old and £172.00 for the 9 year old. (plus a £7.50 booking fee). I've lost the decent seats we had but have managed to get three together not too far away in the Kingsland North. Of course I should have renewed when the early bird discount was on offer but at the time I was so fed up with the likelihood of our manager leaving, Lambert leaving and a whole host of others bidding to make their escape - especially after such a good season. What was the point? However, after a few deep breaths, the appointment of a respected manager and not wanting to miss out on the matchday experience with my mates, I have just parted with £1208.50 and I don't regret it for a minute!!

Welcome back and a note of caution to others not to be so dam reactionary to the ups and down of football clubs, in general the fans are the only constant

Have you bought your ticket yet super fan?

Renewal or new purchase?

Apologies for the late reply. I had to leave it a bit as if I reply after sue whistle has posted, even if it's hours later, she thinks it's about her and accuses me of stalking her.

Anyway, no one can question my support pal, more than earnt my stripes and been there through all the sh*t times and most of the good. These days it's a 600 mile and 9 hour round trip for a home game so don't make many anymore. I'm certainly not renewing due to hysterical tart reaction due to short rocky period like some on here.

Apologies for the late reply. I had to leave it a bit as if I reply after sue whistle has posted, even if it's hours later, she thinks it's about her and accuses me of stalking her.

Anyway, no one can question my support pal, more than earnt my stripes and been there through all the sh*t times and most of the good. These days it's a 600 mile and 9 hour round trip for a home game so don't make many anymore. I'm certainly not renewing due to hysterical tart reaction due to short rocky period like some on here.

She"s so vain, I bet you think this post is about you, don't you. (Carly Simon circa 1973)

Well done Pete

Will let the Waterloo know we are all heading there way for West Brom game

Thank god we didn't extend the stadium when those on here were demanding it. The last few weeks has shows the backbone of our support, a bit of stormy weather and a large section are considering turning their back on the club.

Fair comment.

If the figures of a 30% drop are to be believed, then that seems a large change for the level of instability surrounding us.

Are our fans really that fickle?

Fair comment.

If the figures of a 30% drop are to be believed, then that seems a large change for the level of instability surrounding us.

Are our fans really that fickle?

30% drop for a faw quid more, surely not, well unless Cortese's mum bought 5000 tickets or so last season that is. That is a serious initial revenue drop, something up around 3 million £ I'd think.

Blimey 600 mile round trip!! That is a ball-ache journey on a weekend when all the numpties are out driving in their own little world, in their wheeled tin boxes.

30% drop for a faw quid more, surely not, well unless Cortese's mum bought 5000 tickets or so last season that is. That is a serious initial revenue drop, something up around 3 million £ I'd think.

But its not just a few quid more for some....in our case its over £230 more this year than last due to going from 16 to 17 now over £1200 for the both of us when in first year at college.

We already dodged the bullet of moving one block over when our seats were all of a sudden classed as central when they were wing for 8 years!

So its ok to be wing in League 1 and in the Championship but Prem its central ...this loyalty thing works well!

Great if you can still justify and afford it some of us now can't but if that makes me less of a supporter ....tough but I will still attend a few games if the super fans allow that after 40+ years of taking my money at The Dell and ST holder since SMS opened.

But its not just a few quid more for some....in our case its over £230 more this year than last due to going from 16 to 17 now over £1200 for the both of us when in first year at college.

We already dodged the bullet of moving one block over when our seats were all of a sudden classed as central when they were wing for 8 years!

So its ok to be wing in League 1 and in the Championship but Prem its central ...this loyalty thing works well!

Great if you can still justify and afford it some of us now can't but if that makes me less of a supporter ....tough but I will still attend a few games if the super fans allow that after 40+ years of taking my money at The Dell and ST holder since SMS opened.

It would be interesting to have a complete demography of ST holders actually, including the number of very young spectators.

It would be interesting to have a complete demography of ST holders actually, including the number of very young spectators.

I would bet that those with kids who have gone, aged 12, from being classed as a child to being a young adult, with the massive jump in cost, have bailed by the droves.

When I questioned the club about those costs, bearing in mind lads of the same ages we know who are ST holders at WBA & Stoke who pay way, way, way less, as does a kid we know who is a ST holder at City, the club replied that they cost more down south due to the cost of living.

I would bet that those with kids who have gone, aged 12, from being classed as a child to being a young adult, with the massive jump in cost, have bailed by the droves.

When I questioned the club about those costs, bearing in mind lads of the same ages we know who are ST holders at WBA & Stoke who pay way, way, way less, as does a kid we know who is a ST holder at City, the club replied that they cost more down south due to the cost of living.

All the more reason tickets should be 'cheaper' down here. We're caned for being 'near' London, it impacts on the cost of every-day things and housing but I bet general wages in Southampton are on a par with cities up north.

I can just about manage the rise in cost of my season ticket but I can appreciate if you are a family having to renew 2 or 3 then it may have gone over the tipping point. If that's the case then you can understand how there could be a dramatic drop in renewals.

Although tickets at a lot of Premier League clubs are already significantly cheaper than SFC, I've read that some have chosen to freeze or even reduce prices this summer.

For some it is that simple, but for others it isn't. I will renew always but increasingly for social reasons rather than football. As far as I can see, English top division football is dead and probably can't be revived. The ultimate dream for the huge majority of top tier fans is to finish comfortably clear of relegation. That does not make for an exciting competition. We all hope to consolidate in the Prem for the sake of the club but to what end?

To be fair last season Liverpool actually rejuvenated the league. They went from finish of 7th to title contenders and ultimately 2nd. The English media is talking them up because of this and suddenly every fan in the country seems to talk as if Liverpool have been title contenders for years. Never say never in football. Everything goes right for another top 10 team and they could do it too, such is the level of players that every prem club can now pull in from abroad with the money floating around in this league. I believe the standard will level out. Chelsea can continue to throw money at recognised superstars, but there are also lots of superstars in waiting who can now be purchased off of other clubs in other countries and leagues and given opportunity to express themselves. Look how many great players there are in the World Cup, the Chelsea and Man City's cannot buy and play them all.

Welcome back and a note of caution to others not to be so dam reactionary to the ups and down of football clubs, in general the fans are the only constant

Very true. And we fans are part of a new future. But it all comes down to costs.

On the plus side: We have a promising new management team and Ron Koeman is highly respected. With Katherina's backing, Ron's leadership we can rebuild an exciting new team. There may inevitably be comings and goings but we are in a better position with our current core squad (whoever leaves) than when we were first promoted, I believe, because then we were inexperienced. I have confidence that Big Ron will bring in some strong talented players with transfer moneys and we will again have a good balance of youth and experience. Perhaps we might not hit the Premiership with the same immediate success as last season, but as new players gell I expect us to gradually climb the table.

This now really is a good time to be a Saints supporter. One of the great pleasures of watching Saints these last five years has been to witness our players evolve into a great team, and now it could all be happening again.

But it is understandable why there have been poor Season Ticket sales. The draconian increases in seat prices combined with the uncertainties following MoPo's departure and rumours of players leaving have all been disastrous. Many of us just can't afford the new prices. (I only renewed eventually by downsizing to a less expensive area.)

The club does need to address the problem of empty seats. It has to acknowledge that it has miscalculated. The club has to admit the hike in prices was a mistake and come up with incentives. Short of announcing that it will revert to last season's prices and will refund those who have already purchased (but why not?) it has to rethink how to bring back the missing fans. Otherwise gates may probably be nearer to 25,000 than 30,000. Not what Ron would be expecting. Supporters (no matter how keen they are) have to balance their own budgets and will pick and choose what matches to see and so attend fewer games.

All the more reason tickets should be 'cheaper' down here. We're caned for being 'near' London, it impacts on the cost of every-day things and housing but I bet general wages in Southampton are on a par with cities up north.

I can just about manage the rise in cost of my season ticket but I can appreciate if you are a family having to renew 2 or 3 then it may have gone over the tipping point. If that's the case then you can understand how there could be a dramatic drop in renewals.

Although tickets at a lot of Premier League clubs are already significantly cheaper than SFC, I've read that some have chosen to freeze or even reduce prices this summer.

They're not. I moved up to North Yorkshire early last year, luckily for me I work for a company whose HQ is down south and I moved up here on southern wages so have kept them! the guys who do a similar job to me locally and in our Birmingham office are on a fair bit less. Also the missus was considering going back to work but jobs doing what she did in southampton are around £6-7k a year less. Once we'd paid for childcare it wasn't worth her going back to work. We live in a fairly affluent area and property prices here are actually higher than in Southampton. The larger near cities like Leeds and York are cheaper but where we live wages are lower and cost of living is higher than southampton.

In any case, the cost of living argument is ridiculous excuse for the high prices for kids at SMS. Especially as all kids have to be in education until 18 these days.

Just out of sheer boredom, I have just checked how many seats are unavailable if you wish to purchase a new season ticket - not sure if this represents those sold or also includes ones that have yet to be renewed (thought this dealine has passed though) - anyway 19,660 seats are not available. So realistically we have sold this many to date. Looks like a few may have changed their minds over the last few weeks.

Back to counting my freckles :-)