Ralph Krueger Interview

Lallana's Left Peg

Krueger has really set himself up here; on 18th August we will certainly know what he is made of. After what he's said about how were getting the "best new managers" in the world it would completely undermine both him and the board if we now appointed someone mediocre. It would also send out a message to other clubs about our level of ambition and how the talking/walking of the board might not necessarily align. He either looks bizarrely out of his depth and weak, or his PR is genuine and we look strong for rejecting big offers, appointing an exciting manager and going into August with an improved squad.

He obviously wants to reassure the fanbase but I guess you could argue that he is an experienced sports leader and would be unlikely to make promises if he was fairly convinced he couldn't keep them. Would he really risk his reputation for the sake of appeasing the fans for a couple of weeks?

My personal view is that we will appoint a manager with a solid reputation who is known for playing a similar style of football. Lallana, Shaw and Morgan will go, but we will spend money replacing them (albeit cheaper alternatives). We will then also spend a fair amount on a new striker, perhaps shipping Osvaldo out on loan again and sign a back up GK and possibly a versatile CB/LB. The new manager will hopefully try to get the best out of Ramirez (would basically be a new signing) and we will finish the league upper midtable with the board being able to say they did enough but we were unlucky/had a disappointing season and couldnt quite force an improvement on last year. Can see that pattern repeating for a few years; our best players being unhappy with finishing midtable and leaving the club, with the board doing just enough to maintain our position.

Even if we had Man City money, I don't believe we would be able to buy improved versions of Lallana and Schneiderlin and we certainly wouldn't be able to attract a player of Shaw's potential. None of them have been vocal in saying they would love to stay at the club and given that all of them had strong relationships with Pochettino, I think it is likely that they will try and push through a move.

None of this is based on fact, but given the strong focus on our ambition that was tainted with the "we will have to make short term decisions that the fans may not like", the above is how I see it panning out.

Unbelievable. This guy wades in without properly engaging or offering his own opinion, but still deriding it as 'poor analysis'.

What we have both said is pretty mild (what are the legitimate checks on Reed's power over footballing matters and staff recruitment?) but it seems to be a bit too much for some to handle.

Its pretty mild, if anything its utterly banal. It tallies with the experience of every organisation I've worked in and organisational theory for dummies. But only on the mongboard is it seen as blasphemy.

Krueger makes reference to the fact that one of SFC's aims is " European Football "

OK, not a bad aim, but, if that is the case, WHY did Pochettino leave ???

Saints are not in Europe agreed, but Spurs are in the Europa Cup, one that Pochettino stated he DIDN'T want to be in

It goes beg the question that IF he had tried a bit harder, Saints may have got a Europa Cup place

It does explain our sudden drop off mid season, don't you think ??

That said, I don't believe Krueger. He must of known what was on the cards weeks ago. Everyone else did. So, IMHO, NOT to have a Manager lined up is criminal.

Krueger makes reference to the fact that one of SFC's aims is " European Football "

Saints are not in Europe agreed, but Spurs are in the Europa Cup, one that Pochettino stated he DIDN'T want to be in

It goes beg the question that IF he had tried a bit harder, Saints may have got a Europa Cup place

That said, I don't believe Krueger. He must of known what was on the cards weeks ago. Everyone else did. So, IMHO, NOT to have a Manager lined up is criminal.

Have you considered a 5 year £3m p/a deal with a bigger club, with a better squad and larger resources would be hard to turn down?

You are jumping to conclusions to think that automatically means Saints are lacking in ambition or resources.

you're f**king mental pal

Potchettino wants Champions League football and thinks Spurs are better able to deliver that since that is their aim.

Saints are aiming after Europa league which Potchettino doesn't like. I'm guessing Spurs will be playing very weak teams managed by Perez in Europa league if he gets his way.

What makes you think it was more important?????? What an odd conclusion to come to.

That is a bizarre line of logic to follow in order to jump to that conclusion.

Are you serious?

It's bizarre logic to reason with people like that, but sadly there's a lot of them. They actually seem to believe the board sat around and decided not to chat with Poch or offer him anything, then spent ages sacking some people for no reason.

They make up their own reality and stick with it.

It was a sarcastic / loaded question, too subtle for some it would appear.

Thanks for posting this. Just listened to the whole thing.

I work with North Americans, including senior management and VPs. The very best are skilled diplomats, able to dispense truth in a way that offends no-one and paints current efforts in glowing terms. Lest anyone be overly worried, these people are also very effective at their jobs. If you've not had the exposure to it, it can sound insincere from a British perspective - and parts of this interview certainly do reek of management-speak, such as "letting processes run their course", etc. Yes, it's a way to avoid the question, but he's not wrong.

I like RK a bit more each time I hear from him. He'll deflect when he can't answer a question, but gives consistent and clear answers when he can.

On that basis, the big themes of this interview are growth, Europe and player movement. I think we can now accept that we are going to lose some stars, but the new board knows how strong its negotiating position is, will get top dollar and will re-invest.

If players like Lallana want to go so much they'll hand a transfer request in (not happened, but possibly on the cards) then we can't really stop them, but we can justifiably invest loyalty bonuses in improving the club. Same thing with silly money transfers. If someone wants to "do a Carroll", it'd be rude not to snap their hands off if we've a suitable replacement identified.

A positive but realistic interview.

Let's be honest a. 'Suitable' replacement for AL would cost as much as we get for him. Also if they were that good they would go to a champions league club. I think we have learnt that even for 15m you don't get much for your money.

We are really dreaming if we believe we are going to move on to the next level by flogging off our best players....

Our rhetoric regarding players leaving is contradictory to the empty ambition statements.

In reality it is very likely that this club will now chase the short term bottom line and investment in a European challenge will just be just words that placate fans.

Selling AL would be similar to Liverpool selling Suarez and saying we are going for the championship next year it wouldn't make sense.....

I thought the Kruger interviews were an indictment of where we are heading not a message of expectation based on any evidence or conviction about how we will improve our position. It was nothing more than a rallying call...

Let's be honest a. 'Suitable' replacement for AL would cost as much as we get for him. Also if they were that good they would go to a champions league club. I think we have learnt that even for 15m you don't get much for your money.

We are really dreaming if we believe we are going to move on to the next level by flogging off our best players....

Our rhetoric regarding players leaving is contradictory to the empty ambition statements.

In reality it is very likely that this club will now chase the short term bottom line and investment in a European challenge will just be just words that placate fans.

Selling AL would be similar to Liverpool selling Suarez and saying we are going for the championship next year it wouldn't make sense.....

I thought the Kruger interviews were an indictment of where we are heading not a message of expectation based on any evidence or conviction about how we will improve our position. It was nothing more than a rallying call...

Signing Dejan Lovren for £8.5m shows what can be done if recruitment is done well.

As does...

Schneiderlin for £1m

Lambert for £1m

Clyne for £2m

Boruc on a free

S.Davis for £400k

All clearly bargains at those prices.

Signing Dejan Lovren for £8.5m shows what can be done if recruitment is done well.

As does...

Schneiderlin for £1m

Lambert for £1m

Clyne for £2m

Boruc on a free

S.Davis for £400k

Behave you clown. Money talks, s**t walks. You largely get what you pay for.

Edited by shurlock

As does...

Schneiderlin for £1m

Lambert for £1m

Clyne for £2m

Boruc on a free

S.Davis for £400k

Cork c£850k. Agree we will do better recruiting promising players who really want to be here than established also rans who think their agent should have got them a top 4 club.

Behave you clown. Money talks, s**t walks. You largely get what you pay for.

He's just listed a lot of players worth FAR more than what we paid for them so I've no idea why you want to embarrass yourself with such an idiotic and classless response.

He's just listed a lot of players worth FAR more than what we paid for them so I've no idea why you want to embarrass yourself with such an idiotic and classless response.

Its MLG's modus operandi

I can pick out a much longer and more convincing list of players that teams have been paid little for and not been up to standard.

You largely get what you pay for. Enjoy your bowl of cherries.

Edited by shurlock

And I can pick out a much longer and more convincing list of players who we've paid little for and been not up to standard (forget free transfers).

Enjoy your bowl of cherries.

Where do Osvaldo and Ramirez fit on your list of "you get what you pay for" players?

Yeah the main issue in selling your best players is then you become a less attractive destination for players of equal stature. So if shed multiple top players even for astronomical sums we then face a major uphill task to convince future Lovren's/Wanyama's that you need to ensure you attain and better the same level. We'd also face inflated fees due to people being aware we had all that money so as you say the money wouldn't go as far.

Of course there's the odd bargain to be had but that's much rarer at the very top end.

There was not even a statement about the sackings which really flies in the face of the openness and transparency....
Just as an aside, you cannot sack somebody and then go and make public statements about it (other than to say that is has been done - which they did). There are all sorts of legal issues to consider, not least of which is the possibility of a case of wrongful dismissal being brought etc

Yeah the main issue in selling your best players is then you become a less attractive destination for players of equal stature. So if shed multiple top players even for astronomical sums we then face a major uphill task to convince future Lovren's/Wanyama's that you need to ensure you attain and better the same level. We'd also face inflated fees due to people being aware we had all that money so as you say the money wouldn't go as far.

Of course there's the odd bargain to be had but that's much rarer at the very top end.

You're much more likely to attract the best young and upcoming talent if they see you will develop them and provide a gateway to being signed by a CL club than if you force players to stay against their will.

Better to be a gateway for the best young players, enjoy them while they're here and sell them on for a big profit than to try (and fail) to compete head to head with top 4 clubs and bankrupt yourself in the process.

Just as an aside, you cannot sack somebody and then go and make public statements about it (other than to say that is has been done - which they did). There are all sorts of legal issues to consider, not least of which is the possibility of a case of wrongful dismissal being brought etc

Yes aware there could well be legal issues, but they never released any form of statement confirming that they had released the pair. The first I heard of it being acknowledged by the club was in Krueger's interview yesterday.

You're much more likely to attract the best young and upcoming talent if they see you will develop them and provide a gateway to being signed by a CL club than if you force players to stay against their will.

Better to be a gateway for the best young players, enjoy them while they're here and sell them on for a big profit than to try (and fail) to compete head to head with top 4 clubs and bankrupt yourself in the process.

I agree with this. But for every £20m player you sell you create some pressure to replace him with a player of adequate performance (or the potential to be) otherwise the team can suffer plus no club in the world has a better transfer record than 50/50 so it still points to potentially lots of money being wasted. But as you say, better to have players that are in demand than not.

Les Reed needs to ask for Sir Alex Fergusons opinion... Moyes would be the answer.

Something dependable, tough, British and at Everton he could bring on youth and mediocre players whilst getting the best from really good players. Manure wasn't right for him - but Saints would be a chip off the old block. Frankly I would feel as if we'd lost a good coach and gained a great manager if we signed him.

He'd steady us, keep us close to 8th place then kick us on after a season. I think others are more of a risk.

I think the only people lacking ambition are the fans who can not embrace change. Nothing stays the same in football for long and trading players and changing manager is all part of the process of becoming a top club. Liverpool for example came second on the back of selling their best player (Torres) and and buying a cheaper alternative in Suarez amongst others. They have been known to change their manager on numerous occasions until they now seemingly have the man they want. Spurs sold their best player and it may not have worked for them last season but now they've got the manager they want it may well do in the future. The prime example is Arsenal who seem to sell at least one world class player every season and still always finish in the top 4 buy buying cheap young players and improving them. Do all these clubs lack ambition?

In the past we had to sell to balance the books now if we are smart we can re invest in cheaper talent but with no less quality.

We are the new Arsenal.

Les Reed needs to ask for Sir Alex Fergusons opinion... Moyes would be the answer.

Something dependable, tough, British and at Everton he could bring on youth and mediocre players whilst getting the best from really good players. Manure wasn't right for him - but Saints would be a chip off the old block. Frankly I would feel as if we'd lost a good coach and gained a great manager if we signed him.

He'd steady us, keep us close to 8th place then kick us on after a season. I think others are more of a risk.

He has some very good qualities; but the football he endorses is pretty agricultural. Whoever comes in has to believe in possession, pressing and movement. Agree with Le Tiss, continuity and fit in footballing terms are the most important requirements for the job.

Edited by shurlock

Disagree completely. Being a gateway only works if we're able to retain the players we've blooded for a significant amount of time to help us compete towards the top end and groom future replacements. If you look at say Everton who we must be aspiring to catch they don't seem to about to sell Barkley. I'm sure if they announced he was available the top 4 would buy him. If he carries on his trajectory for them they'll most likely end up losing him to one of world's biggest clubs but not now.

You sure? Every one of your posts seems to contain some sort of abuse. Hate to encounter you when you are angry.

Feel free to reduce what I've said about Reed as 'blubbing', you obviously haven't understood the point being made.

That would never happen.....He's not called the "The Bedroom General" for nothing y'know

Disagree on Moyes personally.

I do think he is a very good manager, and will do a good job elsewhere. I just don't think he is the right manager for us.

It would see a complete overhaul in style, and he isn't that great with youngsters. Barkley has come on a lot under Martinez.

Rooney, well he was a bit of a special case at a time when the other striking options were Tomasz Radzinski.

Coleman was signed as a 20/21 year old and loaned out (he's 25 now btw).

Rodwell has hardly shown the potential he looked to have when he first came through.

He isn't exactly in the Poch mould of being happy to chuck in the 18 year olds straight from the academy.

windows the guy handing out envelopes looks like an older version of barry the briefcase

how come you never quote who ur talking to viking? It don't bother me or anything, i was just wondering if u have ideological objection or technological impotence?

Have you considered a 5 year £3m p/a deal with a bigger club, with a better squad and larger resources would be hard to turn down?

You are jumping to conclusions to think that automatically means Saints are lacking in ambition or resources.

Pochettino WAS offered a very similar Salary package. What he was NOT offered was the assurance of Investment (New players to improve the Team)

I don't think I am jumping to conclusions. Pochettino is on record that he did not want the Europa League for Saints, but he now has it for Spurs

The difference is the Funds to back it up

Currently, Spurs don't get gates all that bigger than us. But they will now because their aspirations are bigger than KL and RK

We ARE lacking in those same Ambitions and Resources. THAT is the main reason Pochettino has moved on

Pochettino WAS offered a very similar Salary package. What he was NOT offered was the assurance of Investment (New players to improve the Team)

I don't think I am jumping to conclusions. Pochettino is on record that he did not want the Europa League for Saints, but he now has it for Spurs

The difference is the Funds to back it up

Currently, Spurs don't get gates all that bigger than us. But they will now because their aspirations are bigger than KL and RK

We ARE lacking in those same Ambitions and Resources. THAT is the main reason Pochettino has moved on

How do YOU know that he was offered a very similar PACKAGE? You DON'T. Unless you are part of the negotiations.

So yes, you are JUMPING to very LARGE conclusions.

28th May 2014. Southampton Chairman states that all player 'transactions' will only occur when a new Manager is appointed.

29th May 2014. Managerless Southampton on verge of selling talisman striker to Liverpool.

Les Reed just keeps on rolling, but it's ok lads, he's fully qualified for this DoF role at Southampton :mcinnes: