Ralph Krueger Interview

Lallana's Left Peg

Hahaha. He can't win.

All the bedwetters on here moaning all week about communication and transparency and then when he offers it you're not happy.

You couldn't make it up.

Agreed.

We live in the time of instant gratification, and if not supplied instantly, then irrational anger ensues.

Like all epochs, it will pass.

Those who cant be arsed to listen

We have progressed strongly

We are open as we can be and try to be

MP wanted to move

We did everything to keep MP with a strong contract.

We respect he wanted to go

as a board we are happy we did everything we could to try and keep him

rumours that spurs were talking to him in january but we cant comment on that

we will continue to grow this club

we want european football, that is the aim

we have 20 people working full time on scouting and recruitment around the world

our scouts found MP, they have built profiles on other players and managers

Very clear that back in January, we never promised anything

what we want to do, is improve in all areas on and off the pitch

Marketing manager recruited from Apple is about to start work

been communicating internally on our strategies

EUROPE is the drive. European football is what motivates us

Katherina has been amazing. She is very curious and involved in all processess

she is very excited on the future

she tried to keep MP

we are in the strongest position this club has been in

High quality managers and players agents been in touch with SFC. We are respected across europe

We are in control of situation when it comes to players

all under long term contracts

players will go on SFC terms, we are in strong position

if players go, who will come in is a big question

there will be transactions this summer

(side steps question about bids that have came in)

Les Reed has been outstanding since we have been here

staff have been analysing bids in and out

Really important to move swifty in getting a new manager but not rush

lots of preparations to move to a shortlist

want new manager to be involved in players in/out

Some of the stalling that took place with MP to spurs were just legalities. We felt it moved as quickly as possible

we wont give information when it is in the interests of the club. like the last week

will be watching the U19 games to see our homegrown players for england

we WILL be competitive next season and we start in 8th place

Saints fans care and have passion and we accept critique and understand when fans get frustrated but we cant always give information.

future is bright, prospects are all upward.

New main Sponsor, was a huge acquisition.

that is it. pretty honest really

Cant argue with that, pretty much what I wantedto hear. Ill go back into my box for the moment and admit that potentially I was wrong.

Hopefully next year will be as good as this season

Yesterday and today I got sucked into the doubt and what I perceived naivety of the board and the way our club was now being run. Having listened to Ralph Krueger I am happy we have a very intelligent and capable Chairman who will use the team round him to drive this club forward. If we fail it will not be without a fight. That is all we can ask.

Nice to be able to agree with you.

A sensible interview, and while gutted to lose MP there is huge over reaction on here. Suggest someone digs out the thread when NA was sacked and an unknown Argentinian was announced......

Really shouldn't be sorry to see MP go for two reasons;.

1) Its seems we were a stepping stone and he'd decided some time ago that he would move on this close season if any club came along that he would perceive as a higher stature. He had to string SFC along as he was probably hoping for something better than THFC but in the end they were the only top 6 Prem club willing to consider him and even then he wasn't their first choice. He'll be planning to leave them for a Big Club next, although there's a fair risk that he'll be sacked first.

2) His style of play was good to watch and we had players technically good enough to carry it out but it was less effective than it should have been because he seemed incapable of finding a way of turning possession into goals. It could be that other teams had found him out but the media still loved him do he continued to get a good press. Time will tell if he's been over-rated.

Didn't hear it but great Reading, confirms my faith in Ralph and the board that not only are they still driving the club forward they are doing it with the best interests of the club at heart in a fan friendly way.

It's a good statement. They were getting annihilated in the pr war, and with no doubt decent advice from a comms firm they have responded - in my opinion too late, hopefully they are learning - but I think they are a very naive board when it come to how high profile this industry is. I still don't get our set up, and I'm still not sure others do - floods of brilliant people writing in to Les Reed - I don't think so somehow.

Bottom line it has had the effect it needs - placating fans and hopefully cooling down the media (metro the other day had us at 14s as best get for relegation). Bigger question - the players - do they trust thus board - I think we are about to find out.......

Yesterday and today I got sucked into the doubt and what I perceived naivety of the board and the way our club was now being run. Having listened to Ralph Krueger I am happy we have a very intelligent and capable Chairman who will use the team round him to drive this club forward. If we fail it will not be without a fight. That is all we can ask.

Ron, you might be right both ways. Most of that board is relatively inexperienced in PL matters, and that breeds what comes across as (and probably is) naivety. But Ralph is very smart and well aware of his own limitations. He knows what needs to be done and he will know he's not the man to do it - but the man to lead a team that does it. He's very much a team player and team leader, which is why few on here seem to understand him - he's not the kind of "I control-everything" guy we're used to in the PL, so his sound bites might appear rather trite.

Well beyond our sight and hearing (thank God) he will be tapping into all sorts of expertise, and I have every confidence that we'll quickly be moving in the right direction.

Actions speak louder than words. Get Jack Cork signed on a new deal for instance would be something to make me feel more confident in the new board.

What Krueger said wasn't terrible, Hearing the words European ambition was nice. However there was much vagueness on football side mainly because he sees sporting side as responsibility of les reed and co.

Source who said Poch was definitely going a couple of weeks ago (who also said De Boer had made his interest known) said that the offer they made to Poch and his staff was so large that all three of his backroom staff wanted to stay. Poch was determined to go though.

Again, make of it what you will. Just passing on what I was told from a decent source with significant proximity to relevant people at the club.

Just read the echo report . Very good . A number of good points made . The report calls MP by his first name but in all but one response . Ralph refers to MP by his surname . I get the impression he was very pis side of with pooch

Oh is Sammy2sheds one of our more negative or banned posters on the forum by any chance ?

Just listened to the adam blackmore interview and I think that is the best possible interview he could of given outside announcing new manager, Adam/Luke contract extension etc.

Very clear, positive and I was really impressed and wondered where we got Mopo from so was interesting to hear we scout managers as well as players, Les Reed is playing real life football manager :-)

Happier now and look forward to an appointment.

I felt he was answering questions as a politician would, by not actually answering the question, but waffling a bit instead

'No colour coding' = We told MP that there would be a fire sale of players! No wonder he fled...

'There will be transactions' = The same...

'We are not disappointed' = We want a manager with lower expectations who won't mind us selling our Crown Jewels.

'We did all we could to keep him' We gave him no reason to stay so expected him to go....

Adam gave him a very easy ride as usual. Should have pushed him on selling our best players and how that will get us into 'Europe' the two do not go together?

Adam needs to learn to ask a question and then shut up, not ask a question and then proceed to start to answer it for the interviewee as he always does...

Likewise, I was in that camp too and don't mind admitting when I am wrong although the jury is still out for me. I have to say actions speak louder than words though and this is a huge test of those in charge at. at Mary's. His interviews have given a level of reassurance and it is nice to know a rash decision will not be made but a decision with care and intelligence aligned with the clubs values. Well done Ralph.

'No colour coding' = We told MP that there would be a fire sale of players! No wonder he fled...

'There will be transactions' = The same...

'We are not disappointed' = We want a manager with lower expectations who won't mind us selling our Crown Jewels.

'We did all we could to keep him' We gave him no reason to stay so expected him to go....

Adam gave him a very easy ride as usual. Should have pushed him on selling our best players and how that will get us into 'Europe' the two do not go together?

Adam needs to learn to ask a question and then shut up, not ask a question and then proceed to start to answer it for the interviewee as he always does...

"Reading between the lines", "It's not what he said - its what he didn't say", "It's clear that....", "Obviously what he actually meant was....".

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

we shouldn't make the mistake of being sucked in the other way though, yet. A lot of us were sucked in by wilde and made to look stupid, he's talked the talk, i will only back him if he does everything in his Power to keep the squad together and appoint a good manager. I'm reserving judgment and waiting to see his next moves.once bitten twice shy..

Why couldn't he just say, no players will be sold this summer until the new manager has had a chance to revie his squad. Even then our intention is to add to our squad.

That's the only message we want to hear. Saying no players will be sold unless Les Reid says so doesn't fill me with much confidence.

The apparent reliance and burden being placed on Les Reed is absolutely terrifying.

It appears we have one man at the football club responsible for all things football.

One man.

In every club one person has to make the final decision, but as angelman said above he has a large team helping him and giving an input. The chief scout Paul Mitchell for example will have a big say in player recruitment.

The apparent reliance and burden being placed on Les Reed is absolutely terrifying.

It appears we have one man at the football club responsible for all things football.

One man.

It's not terrifying is it. How many people would you like there to be out of interest?

In every club one person has to make the final decision, but as angelman said above he has a large team helping him and giving an input. The chief scout Paul Mitchell for example will have a big say in player recruitment.

Understood but it appears the new Manager will be the choice of Les Reed. It appears player signings will be the choice of Les Reed. It appears player sales will be the choice of Les Reed. It appears player contracts will be done by Les Reed. It appears contract re-negotiations with existing players will be done by Les Reed.

We're about to be club who on a sporting level is the image of Les Reed.

He's done fantastic work with the structure of the club and the Football Development Centre. I can't be the only one worried his remit now clearly extends to first team matters?

Understood but it appears the new Manager will be the choice of Les Reed. It appears player signings will be the choice of Les Reed. It appears player sales will be the choice of Les Reed. It appears player contracts will be done by Les Reed. It appears contract re-negotiations with existing players will be done by Les Reed.

He's done fantastic work with the structure of the club and the Football Development Centre. I can't be the only one worried his remit now clearly extends to first team matters?

Where did you see the announcement that Reed had taken over as our First Team Manager? Edited by Sour Mash

Where did you see the announcement that Reed had taken over as our Fist Team Manager?

I just listened to the Ralph Krueger interview where he clearly listed a number of responsibilities that Les Reed had, and I also listened to the Les Reed interview back in April where he clearly listed his responsibilities as well.

I just listened to the Ralph Krueger interview where he clearly listed a number of responsibilities that Les Reed had' date=' and I also listened to the Les Reed interview back in April where he clearly listed his responsibilities as well.[/quote']

Les Reed's remit has increased but it did include first team matters before. Transfers will still involve the manager, Krueger did confirm he wanted the new managers input. Input from a number of people was how it was under Cortese with a transfer committee of the Pochettino/chief scout Paul Mitchell/Les Reed discussing transfers and consulting with Cortese who made the final decision.

What structure would you prefer them to have?

His remit has increased but it did include first team matters before. Transfers will still involve the manager, Krueger did confirm he wanted the new managers input. Input from a number of people was how it was under Cortese with a transfer committee of the Pochettino/chief scout Paul Mitchell/Les Reed discussing transfers and consulting with Cortese who made the final decision.

What structure would you prefer them to have?

Who said a change in structure was required?

I'm just not sure Les Reed is a qualified Director of Football.

Why couldn't he just say, no players will be sold this summer until the new manager has had a chance to revie his squad. Even then our intention is to add to our squad.

That's the only message we want to hear. Saying no players will be sold unless Les Reid says so doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Q: What is the time frame?

A: There is no date, but we would like to have a long list together as quickly as is healthily possible. The reason is that we would like the new manager to be involved in our player decisions.

We have held off on every single coming and going in respect that we have, and Les Reed especially has, for the new manager, that he can put his stamp on the team and influence the process.

It’s very important that we, once again I want to use the words, have controlled speed and not haste. We are going 24-7 right now and we hope to have a shortlist out there in the very near future. We are speaking days and not weeks.

Q: What can a new manager expect to find at the club with bids in for some of your star players and in terms of transfer funds?

A: First of all it’s very clear that we are in control. We are in control of all the player transfers. All the top players are under long term contracts.

Any transfers that take place will be under our terms. We will decide the terms to potential transfers in and out of the club.

We will involve the manager. That is important for everybody to know. That’s why we have been able to not agree to any transfers to date, because we have control of the situation, and anybody who is saying anything else doesn’t understand that we are in a strong position with the Saints.

The Daily Echo interview left me wincing a few times and I really wish he would stop calling a football match 'the product'.

That answer to the question about when we began searching for a new manager was pretty dire. First admitting that he is still learning about the role of chairman. Second that he didn't really know that the scouting network were out looking at managers until recently. Doesn't exactly convey the impression that he is on top of things.

This took the biscuit though:

"When you say ‘type of person’, this is an organisation that is working on very very deeply rooted values and principles.

They begin with the Liebherr family. Markus passed through to Katharina and they have run through the club now. We have redefined the ‘Southampton Way’ with our people – created by the people for them. As we go forward it’s a really well defined new vision, with strong values that we will eventually bring public and we need a manager who is in line with that, who wants to be an example and live these values right through the first team, into the academy, their training and coaching methods. " [/Quote]

Basically doesn't really know the profile of manager we are looking for - as this is left to Les Reed - so is reverting back to talking about the so-called 'deep-rooted values and principles' of the organization. Not sure how 'deep-rooted' they can be after only a few months, and what is this whole guff about re-defining the 'Southampton Way' by his people for the people? Don't know why he is claiming ownership over a phrase used over and over by NC, and now extending it to the people - does this mean us fans? Who created it? Your people or our people? Confused. He talks about a 'really well defined vision' but can't even tell us what that vision is. Might need re-defining again Ralph.

I'll stop moaning about him but wish he would give a simple answer to a simple question sometimes. Time to step up and prove his mettle.

Edited by Toon Saint

Exactly and I thought the whole re-structuring of the board was about ensuring more accountability at senior levels. Seems like all the executive power at club, on football matters at least, has just been channeled into the hands of Les Reed.

What are the qualifications required to be a director of football?

Given he's never done the job before (check Wikipedia if you want), would you be happy for us to appoint a Manager who has never Managed before?

He's got new responsibilities and no track record of delivering before. A bit of a risk, no?

Given he's never done the job before (check Wikipedia if you want), would you be happy for us to appoint a Manager who has never Managed before?

He's got new responsibilities and no track record of delivering before. A bit of a risk, no?

He's been effectively a director of football from the day he join the club 4 years ago and he's always been on the transfer committee. Cortese didn't have a football background and I would imagine he relied on the input of Reed a lot in the last 4 very successful years.

I should imagine that most managers have never managed before they became a manager

He's been effectively a director of football from the day he join the club 4 years ago and he's always been on the transfer committee. Cortese didn't have a football background and I would imagine he relied on the input of Reed a lot in the last 4 very successful years.

Don't confuse the poor poppets.

Reed didn't make the ultimate decision on anything. He now does. He now gets a chance to do what he wants. I am sure he has valued input but being a part of a committee and being the decision maker are two very different things.

Not doubting the aptitude of Reed at all - clearly done an excellent job. The worry I have is that he has almost complete jurisdiction over contract negotiations, player transfers, and managerial appointments. That seems like an awful lot of power for one individual when the re-structuring of the board was meant to ensure more accountability at senior level.

Reed didn't make the ultimate decision on anything. He now does. He now gets a chance to do what he wants. I am sure he has valued input but being a part of a committee and being the decision maker are two very different things.

So we've now gone from an ex-banker with no football background making the final football decisions, to a man who has been in football all his career and was consulted by the previous chairman for football input. Why are you taking issue with that? Reed will be consulting with chief scout Paul Mitchell and the new manager. All three are football people.

So we've now gone from an ex-banker with no football background making the final football decisions, to a man who has been in football all his career and was consulted by the previous chairman for football input. Why are you taking issue with that? Reed will be consulting with chief scout Paul Mitchell and the new manager. All three are football people.

Have you seen Les Reed's record with first team club football? Familiarise yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Reed_(football_coach)

Why would it automatically be deemed he is the best candidate to be DoF at Saints?