Ralph Krueger Interview

Lallana's Left Peg

The only thing to be read between the lines there, besides references to fan's concerns, is in the bit about the new manager having to decide who stays and goes. Obviously that happens every time a manager comes in but it may be that the new boss would rather sell Luke Shaw and reinvest £30m in the right players for his style. It's probably worth Ralph's while mentioning that now because it's not a foregone conclusion that any new Southampton manager would rather keep all the players.

Guarded naturally, but interesting. You can take his words and twist them whichever way, but the proof of the pudding as they say. If Poyet was appointed for example, the Board would still claim that he was the choice man to match their high ambitions.

Good stuff, will hopefully shut up some of the whingers on here for a bit.

Agree.

He said it will be down to the manager to decide who goes.

We will bring in a top class manager and bring in quality players which will help with the ambition of getting to Europe next year.

I especially liked the bit about nobody leaving the club unless it is on our terms. I believe everything he said....

I gave wilde the benefit of the doubt and he f*cked us over. I'll wait to get excited when there is something to get excited about. All signs point to Shaw and Adam leaving to start with.

Yes, the papers are saying that Shaw and Lallana are leaving, but that would have most likely happened no matter who was in charge. I guess it's natural to be suspicious of successors to people who have disappointed you in the past, though it's nothing but irrational to let that colour your perception when no hard evidence exists to suggest that Ralph Krueger has so far done anything wrong.

Interesting; "Les Reed has been outstanding in his preparation for ..."

So it has been known all along then, they tried to keep him, he (Pochettino) only came for Cortese and followed the cash. Oh well, see ya mush. Hope we turn up with another gem now and manage to keep this one a little longer ;)

I've tried to stay away from the hysteria and not read too much krap.

But what did amaze me was the arrogant assumption by so many fans that we did NOT have a contingency plan in place. The same posters ranting about doing nothing have tended to be the ones who ranted that we found MP behind NA's back.

Those same people behind the scenes who have clearly not watched any footballers all year and have no new signings lined up and no replacements for Shaw or Lallana ready to bring in,,,,

They found MP they proved they are not Dumb and they'll have had alternatives in mind since NC left.

Solent interview here.

Not giving too many specifics about Pochettino negotiations but confirms that a 'strong contract' was offered.

EDIT: Says they heard 'rumours about talks' before and as they joined in January. Doesn't say what they were about but Pochettino's contract negotiations were the only topic of conversation at that point.

Did they hear anything about Cortese's plans to sack Pochettino? Perhaps he turned down a contract extension then and that's why Cortese wanted him out.

Edited by DuncanRG

I think that's quite unfair. If we get a **** hot manager, keep hold of the majority of our players and strengthen the I expect the vast majority will be very positive. You can hardly blame people for being negative at the moment, actions speak louder than words and so far there has been virtually nothing in the way of positive action.

Anybody can be positive in that situation so I think that the remark was perfectly fair.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2203913-listen-the-full-unedited-interview-with-saintsfc-chairman-ralph-krueger-talking-to-bigadamsport#t=10m35s

This is interesting, at 10:40 Krueger says...

"We feel we can move quite quickly to the next step and have a shortlist presented, very quickly also to the public which managers we are seriously considering."

"We feel we can move quite quickly to the next step and have a shortlist presented, very quickly also to the public which managers we are seriously considering."

Surely he got his words muddled. That would be bonkers

Anybody can be positive in that situation so I think that the remark was perfectly fair.

What I was saying is that I don't think it's unreasonable that many will not be positive until there is something to be positive about. With a load of players making worrying noises, I can see why many are quite downbeat about the club at the moment.

Probably will have a short list quickly but I very much doubt it will be made public...not all will be out of work managers.

If that is true I'm assuming we are only considering unemployed managers? Releasing a shortlist including managers under contract would be a pretty spectacular PR disaster - not to mention a legal minefield.

But what did amaze me was the arrogant assumption by so many fans that we did NOT have a contingency plan in place. The same posters ranting about doing nothing have tended to be the ones who ranted that we found MP behind NA's back.

Those same people behind the scenes who have clearly not watched any footballers all year and have no new signings lined up and no replacements for Shaw or Lallana ready to bring in,,,,

They found MP they proved they are not Dumb and they'll have had alternatives in mind since NC left.

I agree. Am I right in understanding that RK said the 20 scouts who found MP are always looking for replacements, just for this sort of scenario. I imagine that all clubs do, and I would have been surprised if we hadn't been working at it for a fair while. A lot of posters here seem to think that the board are incapable of running the club just because we cannot ultimately compete with the lure of the top 7 clubs.

I hope he's not going to do that, is that what he actually meant?

Absolutely.

The question is, was the plan delivered by Kathy or Nicola?

The concern is that Nicola was the man behind our success and now we don't have him.

That's all I worry about.

Not a single decision made by this 'Club' over the past five years has not driven our club forward.

The question is, who on the board was it?

And will it continue without Nicola??

How odd is this, not resenting a manager leaving (that is his right) but lamenting a lost Chairman!!!

I will give Kathy and Raif the benefit of the doubt until they show me otherwise.

Inundated with high quality applications from across Europe my arse.

We all know we will get someone of Billy Davies's stature.

Loads and loads of Business Management school undergraduate guff.......

Alpine your posts are a little trite now.

Pardew, Adkins, MoPo - which manager installed by your board in the last fie years didn't meet with your aspirations??

Answer - you hated all of them, you missed all of them the moment they were fired.

You realised quickly the incumbent was better.

But now, five years in you think we're going to go backwards?

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2203913-listen-the-full-unedited-interview-with-saintsfc-chairman-ralph-krueger-talking-to-bigadamsport#t=10m35s

I agree thought that was one of the most interesting comments made in the whole interview. That will reveal how ambitious the board actually are!

Pardew, Adkins, MoPo - which manager installed by your board in the last fie years didn't meet with your aspirations??

Answer - you hated all of them, you missed all of them the moment they were fired.

You realised quickly the incumbent was better.

But now, five years in you think we're going to go backwards?

NC had his next manager already lined up lined up in short order. He knew every time who he was going for, and preparations were at least well advanced.

This is back to Rupert Lowe times, and we will get another Steve Wigley.

Well, maybe not, MoPo took most of the coaching staff and Ralfie sacked the rest a couple of days ago.

I got no time for the bloke, he has to earn my respect now by appointing someone who is going to stop the players leaving (seeing as we are in control of transfers...)

Those who cant be arsed to listen

We have progressed strongly

We are open as we can be and try to be

MP wanted to move

We did everything to keep MP with a strong contract.

We respect he wanted to go

as a board we are happy we did everything we could to try and keep him

rumours that spurs were talking to him in january but we cant comment on that

we will continue to grow this club

we want european football, that is the aim

we have 20 people working full time on scouting and recruitment around the world

our scouts found MP, they have built profiles on other players and managers

Very clear that back in January, we never promised anything

what we want to do, is improve in all areas on and off the pitch

Marketing manager recruited from Apple is about to start work

been communicating internally on our strategies

EUROPE is the drive. European football is what motivates us

Katherina has been amazing. She is very curious and involved in all processess

she is very excited on the future

she tried to keep MP

we are in the strongest position this club has been in

High quality managers and players agents been in touch with SFC. We are respected across europe

We are in control of situation when it comes to players

all under long term contracts

players will go on SFC terms, we are in strong position

if players go, who will come in is a big question

there will be transactions this summer

(side steps question about bids that have came in)

Les Reed has been outstanding since we have been here

staff have been analysing bids in and out

Really important to move swifty in getting a new manager but not rush

lots of preparations to move to a shortlist

want new manager to be involved in players in/out

Some of the stalling that took place with MP to spurs were just legalities. We felt it moved as quickly as possible

we wont give information when it is in the interests of the club. like the last week

will be watching the U19 games to see our homegrown players for england

we WILL be competitive next season and we start in 8th place

Saints fans care and have passion and we accept critique and understand when fans get frustrated but we cant always give information.

future is bright, prospects are all upward.

New main Sponsor, was a huge acquisition.

that is it. pretty honest really

I agree thought that was one of the most interesting comments made in the whole interview. That will reveal how ambitious the board actually are!

Shortlist is Yakin, De Boer, Dennis Rofe, Willo from Solent and Matt Targett.

They won't reveal it publically, surely?

Thanks for posting this. Just listened to the whole thing.

I work with North Americans, including senior management and VPs. The very best are skilled diplomats, able to dispense truth in a way that offends no-one and paints current efforts in glowing terms. Lest anyone be overly worried, these people are also very effective at their jobs. If you've not had the exposure to it, it can sound insincere from a British perspective - and parts of this interview certainly do reek of management-speak, such as "letting processes run their course", etc. Yes, it's a way to avoid the question, but he's not wrong.

I like RK a bit more each time I hear from him. He'll deflect when he can't answer a question, but gives consistent and clear answers when he can.

On that basis, the big themes of this interview are growth, Europe and player movement. I think we can now accept that we are going to lose some stars, but the new board knows how strong its negotiating position is, will get top dollar and will re-invest.

If players like Lallana want to go so much they'll hand a transfer request in (not happened, but possibly on the cards) then we can't really stop them, but we can justifiably invest loyalty bonuses in improving the club. Same thing with silly money transfers. If someone wants to "do a Carroll", it'd be rude not to snap their hands off if we've a suitable replacement identified.

A positive but realistic interview.

Edited by pap

Those who cant be arsed to listen

We have progressed strongly

We are open as we can be and try to be

MP wanted to move

We did everything to keep MP with a strong contract.

We respect he wanted to go

as a board we are happy we did everything we could to try and keep him

rumours that spurs were talking to him in january but we cant comment on that

we will continue to grow this club

we want european football, that is the aim

we have 20 people working full time on scouting and recruitment around the world

our scouts found MP, they have built profiles on other players and managers

Very clear that back in January, we never promised anything

what we want to do, is improve in all areas on and off the pitch

Marketing manager recruited from Apple is about to start work

been communicating internally on our strategies

EUROPE is the drive. European football is what motivates us

Katherina has been amazing. She is very curious and involved in all processess

she is very excited on the future

she tried to keep MP

we are in the strongest position this club has been in

High quality managers and players agents been in touch with SFC. We are respected across europe

We are in control of situation when it comes to players

all under long term contracts

players will go on SFC terms, we are in strong position

if players go, who will come in is a big question

there will be transactions this summer

(side steps question about bids that have came in)

Les Reed has been outstanding since we have been here

staff have been analysing bids in and out

Really important to move swifty in getting a new manager but not rush

lots of preparations to move to a shortlist

want new manager to be involved in players in/out

Some of the stalling that took place with MP to spurs were just legalities. We felt it moved as quickly as possible

we wont give information when it is in the interests of the club. like the last week

will be watching the U19 games to see our homegrown players for england

we WILL be competitive next season and we start in 8th place

Saints fans care and have passion and we accept critique and understand when fans get frustrated but we cant always give information.

future is bright, prospects are all upward.

New main Sponsor, was a huge acquisition.

that is it. pretty honest really

Right. Thats as much as we are going to get from him.

Lets see some action.

Right. Thats as much as we are going to get from him.

Lets see some action.

You sound as if you are happy with that. Are you?

Will you give him enough time? Lets say before the World Cup for a new manager and the beginning of September to get the squad fully sorted.

If so, please promise not to start endless negative threads throughout the rest of the summer like you do every year.

:lol:

Shortlist is Yakin, De Boer, Dennis Rofe, Willo from Solent and Matt Targett.

They won't reveal it publically, surely?

I would be surprised if they did to be honest but there you go could be one of those German/Canadian/English lost in translation mishaps:lol:

NC had his next manager already lined up lined up in short order. He knew every time who he was going for, and preparations were at least well advanced.

Well, maybe not, MoPo took most of the coaching staff and Ralfie sacked the rest a couple of days ago.

I got no time for the bloke, he has to earn my respect now by appointing someone who is going to stop the players leaving (seeing as we are in control of transfers...)

You do crack me up.

You sound as if you are happy with that. Are you?

Will you give him enough time? Lets say before the World Cup for a new manager and the beginning of September to get the squad fully sorted.

If so, please promise not to start endless negative threads throughout the rest of the summer like you do every year.

A decent manager appoint by the world cup, to try to stop the players leaving when they get back, is a start.

Pretty much answered all the criticisms about "not offering a contract", "not trying to keep him", "lack of ambition", "no forward planning", "inactivity over a replacement/the situation" etc and a fairly honest interview.

Confirms my position that I'm not going to knock the Board for MoPo leaving, BUT they have to get the replacement right!

PS thanks to Saint Armstrong for the linky thingy

You are turning into comedy gold! An Old bloke sat on his own at a bus stop moaning to himself comes to mind.

If you are not doing this for a joke, or are not totally dense you really should talk to someone about the irrational and negative way you think, and way you are totally unable to follow simple events and learn from them. Seriously hope you are on a wind up and I'm the mug for biting as alternative is quite sad.

We were 3 or 4 games without a manager when Pardew was sacked. (Expect you started a thread moaning that NC didn't know what he was doing).

If anything the evidence sounds like we will be quicker.

I'm sure he needs to earn respect from the football brain that didn't want us to have Lallana, JayRod or Morgan, tell him how you advise teams give up on promotion and relax for play offs, how should have struggled in championship, how in first year in prem you said we would be so far adrift by Christmas we would be down.

If fact, as you are always wrong, haven't a clue about football and are irrationally negative - he would be concerned if you did respect him!

Can't believe how ignorant some are being. Because there weren't televised contract negotiations the board obviously did nothing.

Making up stories about KL's disinterest and lack investment, when all promotions and spending since her dad died - and she is now seen happy at games!

That was a good interview and it does help us, as fans, see where they want to take the club.

BUT....it's still talk at this stage, I'm still waiting to see some proper actions! I think we are a great pick for any manager, it's such an attractive job for someone - so let's hope they get the right one, and based on what he said in terms of the high profile nature of the candidates....I think most of us would be disappointed if it's now a Poyet/Lennon level manager.

Let's just see now - time for some action!

A decent manager appoint by the world cup, to try to stop the players leaving when they get back, is a start.

I doubt we will keep the star players of Lallana and Shaw, possibly a few others swell. What is key is how they are replaced, the managerial appointment will give us a good idea where we are going.

Oh dear God! Glass not only empty but in pieces on the ground....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I doubt we will keep the star players of Lallana and Shaw, possibly a few others swell. What is key is how they are replaced, the managerial appointment will give us a good idea where we are going.

Think he said nobody would go out or come in until the new manager is appointed, so that will tell us precisely where we're going.