Ralph Krueger Interview

Lallana's Left Peg

Really? Just sounded like a load of management speak and waffle to me. Refusing to call it disappointing when everyone knows it is just makes it sound like he is in denial.

I felt he was answering questions as a politician would, by not actually answering the question, but waffling a bit instead

What do you mean they weren'? He didn't stay, but that doesn't mean they weren't on top of the situation. You cannot FORCE someone to stay?

The way they handled it with the press speculation IMO was poor. The situation with the players in the papers now is very poorly handled from as PR perspective.

I get your point about remaining positive to project a stronger image of the club. To say he is 'disappointed' would have looked a bit lame, but arguably, the damage has already been done given his previous 'confidence' in the getting the deal done. I really hopes he justifies his enthusiasm over the coming weeks, but I still find it frustrating how opaque he is about things. When asked about whether we have actually spoken to anyone, he could have quite easily said 'no' or 'not yet' but he went around the houses explaining the scouting structure before revealing that the long-list is yet to be narrowed down to a short-list. Basically a 'no' but with a bit of bluster thrown in about how many scouts we have on the job - what all 20 are out looking at potential new managers?

I'm glad he said that though, aren't you feeling more assured that we have a number of scouts, domestically and continentally, that were the same ones that recruited Poch and that they were already in action looking for a replacement? Better than a simple 'No' or 'Not yet', and re-assures me for sure that it won't just be a case of Les Reed looking through his address book and appointing Iain Dowie.

The way they handled it with the press speculation IMO was poor. The situation with the players in the papers now is very poorly handled from as PR perspective.

People keep saying this, and I keep asking the same question, but am yet to get a definitive answer. What do you want to be said? What information do you want to be released to the public domain? Do you have an example of how you want it handled from another club?

In reaction to the players being interviewed in the papers, that doesn't look good, I agree.

I though RK on SSN interview was solid & came across well. Didn't add to the hysteria or feed the various ego's of "being disappointed" Quite the opposite it seemed & came across to fit in well with the perceived structure that we can remove/replace any part of the structure without it toppling like a house of cards. IMO the true test for RK will be who exactly we bring in as next manager. If we employ any of the recently sacked PL managers like Hughton or Mackay then I'm sure he will feel the full wrath of the fans. For that reason I believe they will head to Europe or beyond for the appointment.

I though RK on SSN interview was solid & came across well. Didn't add to the hysteria or feed the various ego's of "being disappointed" Quite the opposite it seemed & came across to fit in well with the perceived structure that we can remove/replace any part of the structure without it toppling like a house of cards. IMO the true test for RK will be who exactly we bring in as next manager. If we employ any of the recently sacked PL managers like Hughton or Mackay then I'm sure he will feel the full wrath of the fans. For that reason I believe they will head to Europe or beyond for the appointment.

Ditto

People keep saying this, and I keep asking the same question, but am yet to get a definitive answer. What do you want to be said? What information do you want to be released to the public domain? Do you have an example of how you want it handled from another club?

In reaction to the players being interviewed in the papers, that doesn't look good, I agree.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50400-All-fart-no-sh!t&p=1949672#post1949672

I'm glad he said that though, aren't you feeling more assured that we have a number of scouts, domestically and continentally, that were the same ones that recruited Poch and that they were already in action looking for a replacement? Better than a simple 'No' or 'Not yet', and re-assures me for sure that it won't just be a case of Les Reed looking through his address book and appointing Iain Dowie.

He could have answered straight up with 'not yet' and then explained the procedure for finding a manager. It feels like he is circumnavigating the question - feed viewers with positives about our extensive scouting network (who surely are not all out looking for potential managers?!) and then slip in the answer that we have not spoken to anyone without actually saying it directly.

I think Adam Blackmore will potentially get more out of him. He was asking the same questions that Alpine has raised here on the Solent phone-in yesterday (listen again anyone who missed it here: https://audioboo.fm/boos/2202892-listen-to-last-night-s-27th-may-saintsfc-phone-in-following-mauricio-pochettino-s-departure )

Well worth a listen with contributions from MLT (briefly) and Merrington as well as the aforementioned Blackmore. Apologies if posted elsewhere.

Thanks for that btw, good listen. Although the fans calling in... bloody hell, i thought this forum was bad!!!

I guess this has come from the BBC Solent interview yet to air...

Ben Smith@BenSmithBBC

41s

Southampton hope to appoint a replacement to Mauricio Pochettino before the World Cup. Les Reed leading search

Which also means before any of our players get sold, so they can make a decision as to whether they want to leave when they know who the new Manager is.

Very shrewd.

Tried to retain MP

we all move forward, we have a strong staff

the business has different areas and different phases

under MP we had strong development

under a new manager we will continue to grow

Les Reed has been flooded with applications from across Europe

Recruitment and scouting goes on for not only players, but managers also for when the need arise

we have 20 scouts around the world who look out for players AND managers, it was them who found MP in the first place

All sounds pretty reasonable and sensible.

Which also means before any of our players get sold, so they can make a decision as to whether they want to leave when they know who the new Manager is.

Very shrewd.

Hardly rocket science though is it? We can say its shrewd if we appoint a manager who actually succeeds in keeping hold of our key players. Until then the jury is out.

I think this is what a lot of the 'hystericals' wanted to hear:

Krueger:" I have to underline that we did everything possible for a long period of time to keep Pochettino here. Clearly a contract was offered.

"At the same time we didn’t colour code anything, we were very honest in the process and he made his decision and we respect that and move on."

Full statement on the OS. Krueger refutes 'talk of scaling back ambition' and maintains our target is Europe. Says we have the highest quality managers in Europe knocking on our door.

Says the 20-strong scouting and recruitment staff helped find Pochettino and they're finding the right man.

Excellent stuff all round.

OK, can someone that bothers to look on other club forums answer this.....Are our fans the most miserable, pessemistic wrist slitting bunch?....or are most forums the same?

I think that's quite unfair. If we get a **** hot manager, keep hold of the majority of our players and strengthen the I expect the vast majority will be very positive. You can hardly blame people for being negative at the moment, actions speak louder than words and so far there has been virtually nothing in the way of positive action.

I couldn't help but be disappointed when looking at the initial statement Krueger made. But, after everything he's said today, I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic. Does that mean Ralph has ceased to come across as ever so slightly out of touch? I don't think so, but the prospect of a top quality manager aiming for Europe is extremely exciting.

But that's what he was saying, there is already a scouting network looking at Managers for this sort of situation. Don't forget that until the manager leaves you aren't going to start sounding out the club you are getting the new coach from, and then after he leaves you are likely to get applications. For instance what happens if they quickly appoint a manager as soon as Pochettino leaves and then 24 hours later someone better or more suited applies for the job?

I'm sure Spurs didn't talk to Poch until Sherwood had been released........

I couldn't help but be disappointed when looking at the initial statement Krueger made. But, after everything he's said today, I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic. Does that mean Ralph has ceased to come across as ever so slightly out of touch? I don't think so, but the prospect of a top quality manager aiming for Europe is extremely exciting.

It potentially is, but at the moment it is still only pretty words. We need a bloody good appointment and quality players now to really back up what he is saying. He has raised expectations there.

Well he has really raised expectations there. Highest quality managers in Europe? Highest quality players? Best be someone pretty amazing then...

He'd look a right c*nt now if we appointed someone crap.

Yakin still favourite with most bookies.

He'd look a right c*nt now if we appointed someone crap.

Yakin still favourite with most bookies.

Yeah, appointing Mackay, Hughton, McClaren and others of that ilk would probably provoke outrage after his words this afternoon.

Full statement on the OS. Krueger refutes 'talk of scaling back ambition' and maintains our target is Europe. Says we have the highest quality managers in Europe knocking on our door.

Says the 20-strong scouting and recruitment staff helped find Pochettino and they're finding the right man.

Excellent stuff all round.

Good stuff, will hopefully shut up some of the whingers on here for a bit.

It potentially is, but at the moment it is still only pretty words. We need a bloody good appointment and quality players now to really back up what he is saying. He has raised expectations there.

Sure, but it's important at this stage to give Krueger the benefit of the doubt. It hasn't yet been proven that the Board have done anything wrong and until that happens all we can do is take announcements like this at face value, meaning that his current statement is, to my eyes, very exciting indeed.

why don't people give the board a chance and wait and see how things pan out before slating them and some slating KL ffs. I suppose everyone was really inspired when we signed a manager called Nigel Adkins and look how that worked out. The board are now having to show their mettle and should be judged on what happens next!......Poch was always leaving the minute the Don walked out. He was in control of that.....i don't believe for one minute the board could have changed his mind....and to be fair once he had shown no desire to be here then the board would have been right with the approach of only wanting someone they believed was totally committed.

Sure, but it's important at this stage to give Krueger the benefit of the doubt. It hasn't yet been proven that the Board have done anything wrong and until that happens all we can do is take announcements like this at face value, meaning that his current statement is, to my eyes, very exciting indeed.

I gave wilde the benefit of the doubt and he f*cked us over. I'll wait to get excited when there is something to get excited about. All signs point to Shaw and Adam leaving to start with.

I gave wilde the benefit of the doubt and he f*cked us over. I'll wait to get excited when there is something to get excited about. All signs point to Shaw and Adam leaving to start with.

dont why you are so annoyed by all this with Ralph.

you wanted Cortese gone and gone a long time ago. you have a new open era with the new guy you wished for

It's bizarre logic to reason with people like that, but sadly there's a lot of them. They actually seem to believe the board sat around and decided not to chat with Poch or offer him anything, then spent ages sacking some people for no reason.

They make up their own reality and stick with it.

The club haven't told me what they are doing today, therefore they must be sat around doing nothing!

Interesting; "Les Reed has been outstanding in his preparation for ..."

So it has been known all along then, they tried to keep him, he (Pochettino) only came for Cortese and followed the cash. Oh well, see ya mush. Hope we turn up with another gem now and manage to keep this one a little longer ;)

dont why you are so annoyed by all this with Ralph.

you wanted Cortese gone and gone a long time ago. you have a new open era with the new guy you wished for

Again you are talking utter nonsense. I am not sad that Cortese has gone, it doesn't mean I want absolutely anyone in charge.