Fantastic Piece in the Echo

Lallana's Left Peg

Two mistakes in one sentence.

1. Its in the news section ie not a comment piece.

2. A comment piece is not the same as a feature.

Apart from that, bang on.

Quite clearly billed as a comment piece:

Daily Echo comment: Poch's exit a wake-up call to Saints board [/Quote]

You dont believe they offered him a deal and just let him wealk out then, fine, dont believe it.

I don't believe it if someone simply made it up on the internet no. Rumours are just that, rumours. Without anything to back them up they should not be talked about as if they are fact.

It's a comment piece guys, usually what happens in these type of features. He is offering an opinion on the situation as he perceives it and I tend to agree with him.

If you wanted it grounded it in 'fact' then maybe the board should have given a bit more information about how the situation unfolded and what terms were offered to Poch. Given that they didn't, the journalist just has to rely on sources at the club, which of course, he has used in this article.

What information would you have wanted from the board? Contracts aren't announced until someone accepts it, I don't ever remember hearing that from any official club portal "We've offered him a contract and he's considering it".

For some reason the Echo is yet again trying to de-stabilise the situation. They did it before when Cortese was Chairman, and we all thought it was due to their disagreement. It seems now to me that it is just the raison d'etre of the Echo, to be a bunch of tw ats in relation to Southampton.

I don't believe it if someone simply made it up on the internet no. Rumours are just that, rumours. Without anything to back them up they should not be talked about as if they are fact.

From the bbc

Spurs have made no secret of their interest in recent months and were finally given permission to speak to the Argentine last week, after Pochettino himself agreed to pay Southampton the £2m release fee that was stipulated in his contract. The details took no time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27599165

I'd say if he was prepared to cough up £2 million to leave he really didn't want to be here.

The fact he is paying £2m compensation per chance?

That does not mean he was offered a new deal does it? If he was offered loads of money and was told his squad would be broken up etc then he might not wanted to stay as the project would now be different. Who knows what was said or offered between the board and him. But like I said to talk as if something's are fact is wrong.

From the bbc

Spurs have made no secret of their interest in recent months and were finally given permission to speak to the Argentine last week, after Pochettino himself agreed to pay Southampton the £2m release fee that was stipulated in his contract. The details took no time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27599165

I'd say if he was prepared to cough up £2 million to leave he really didn't want to be here.

I doubt he would of paid that himself. And again just because you have a clause like that does not mean he was offered anything from our club. It doesn't prove the club offered him xyz to stay.

Given how long it took us to sort out a new Chairman (about 2 1/2 months) I wouldn't be so sure. Spurs were never going to poach Pochettino mid-season when they still had Sherwood in charge. I'd say they have acted pretty decisively, especially given the repsonsiveness of our board to the situation.

Yes, Spurs are historically a bigger team with clear aspirations to break into the top 4, a new stadium on the way, a great training ground, and more money to spend in the transfer window. But we as a club also offer the best academy in the country, a brand new state-of-the-art training ground, a core of exciting home-grown talent, and perhaps most significantly, a stable environment in which Poch would have been given time to build his reputation. I really don't think it was inevitable that he would have left. That sort of fatalistic attitude also aggravates as it only serves to entrench a view of us as mid-table also-rans. At least Cortese would have done his damndest to challenge that.

A line that keeps getting trotted out by defenders of the board and one that has also been answered numerous times. It's not just the fact that the board failed to properly demonstrate ambition and a new 'project' to Poch, but their whole handling of the situation which has left us looking so weak. When Krueger first arrived he talked about understanding 'what drives' Poch and sharing similar core values, but its become clear that he didn't have a clue what motivated him. A strange misplaced confidence and naivety has informed a lot of the statements made by Ralph and even Les Reed has been made to look a bit of a fool with all the talk of being relaxed about the situation and resuming contract talks at end of season. They have been absolutely played by Poch and Levy and they've not had the guts or conviction in their own 'vision' to stand up to him and dictate the terms of contract negotiations. Lots of empty rhetoric spouted by the board and commitments to being nicey nice with the fans but they aren't even achieving the early promises of openness and communication.

People were saying similar things about Poch only hours before he was unveiled as Spurs manager. His departure only makes the loss of key players more likely, and the board are going to have to fight their arses off to keep the squad together.

Of course I am grateful for the investment she has made, but it is wrong to say that she has been in charge for all of our promotions. She has been in charge from January this year.

We were also told that the club were 'confident' and 'relaxed' about Poch staying. Yes it is only fair to give the board some time to appoint a new manager and we will all judge at end of transfer window based on who has left and who has arrived, but they have gotten off to a rather pathetic start.

Whoever we appoint as manager is unlikely to be as good as, or an improvement on Poch. It is not hysteria being expressed but an incredible amount of frustration about not being able to realise an ambition of breaking the top 6 that I felt was almost in our grasp. Whether they meant to or not, the new board have managed to burst a lot of the optimism that has been building around the club over the past few years. There is absolutely no evidence to go upon to suggest that they have any experience of dealing with this sort of situation so I'm not sure why so many persist with blind faith. It is in their hands to reverse that concern and I sincerely hope that they do.

Excellent rebuttal to the usual unique brand of drivel / spin that emanates from that particular poster........

What information would you have wanted from the board? Contracts aren't announced until someone accepts it, I don't ever remember hearing that from any official club portal "We've offered him a contract and he's considering it".

For some reason the Echo is yet again trying to de-stabilise the situation. They did it before when Cortese was Chairman, and we all thought it was due to their disagreement. It seems now to me that it is just the raison d'etre of the Echo, to be a bunch of tw ats in relation to Southampton.

Yeah its all a big agenda from our local rag. A successful Saints is surely better for their own livelihoods than an unsuccessful one, no?

You keep asking me about what information I would have wanted from the board, and I have explained it now several times so please refer to my previous posts. Letting fans know that the offer was on the table would have 1) clarified their own stance towards keeping him; 2) put pressure on Poch to make his mind up either way and allowed him less wriggle-room in his pressers. As it stands we had a lot of hokum about waiting until the end of the season and being 'relaxed' and 'comfortable' with things, and also that talks were progressing behind the scenes. Turns out Poch was stalling all along and the board lacked the plans to convince him to stay. It has made them look pretty foolish as they have just not been in control of the situation, with Poch dictating terms. That is not a great perception to cultivate, especially when we are now looking to recruit a new manager and keep onto our best players.

Fine, you dont believe he was offered a new deal, instead choosing to believe that the board have done nothing and need to grow a pair. Rumours are just rumours, or something...

Yeah its all a big agenda from our local rag. A successful Saints is surely better for their own livelihoods than an unsuccessful one, no?

You keep asking me about what information I would have wanted from the board, and I have explained it now several times so please refer to my previous posts. Letting fans know that the offer was on the table would have 1) clarified their own stance towards keeping him; 2) put pressure on Poch to make his mind up either way and allowed him less wriggle-room in his pressers. As it stands we had a lot of hokum about waiting until the end of the season and being 'relaxed' and 'comfortable' with things, and also that talks were progressing behind the scenes. Turns out Poch was stalling all along and the board lacked the plans to convince him to stay. It has made them look pretty foolish as they have just not been in control of the situation, with Poch dictating terms. That is not a great perception to cultivate, especially when we are now looking to recruit a new manager and keep onto our best players.

Pochettino and Levy have either made our board look like complete schmucks, or made them appear to be bare-faced lying chancers. Take yer pick.

I completely disagree. As I have asked above, how many other teams have you seen do this?

For the Echo, the more bad news there is the more papers they sell. That's how papers work. Numerous articles about it, but here is the first one:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2007/sep/04/thegoodnewsaboutbadnewsi

I doubt he would of paid that himself. And again just because you have a clause like that does not mean he was offered anything from our club. It doesn't prove the club offered him xyz to stay.

So you don't believe he was offered a new contract despite the fact that is was leaked to the press? Ok then you utter melt, you carry on believing we offered him nowt and he didn't choose to walk out.

I think the article is very, very good and actually this line is so utterly true (and also the reason many of us have fallen out of love with football)

It all suggests that in a world dominated by cold, hard cash, dreams are for the foolish. They cannot come true anymore in the Premier League.

I think the article is very, very good and actually this line is so utterly true (and also the reason many of us have fallen out of love with football)

Good point, that one line shows why Corteses was talking out of his arse and all the suckers on here that believed him probably still believe in easter bunnies.

So you don't believe he was offered a new contract despite the fact that is was leaked to the press? Ok then you utter melt, you carry on believing we offered him nowt and he didn't choose to walk out.

Show me this leak that you speak of? Again until we have actual proof he was offered things then it is purely paper speculation. When Cortese left if you look at KL's statement she says she offered him a deal as she wanted him to stay on. So far that has not been mentioned in our statement has it? So much bull**** has been written about our club over the years that you would think people would be a bit more cautious with supposed 'reports' wouldn't you? Guess not.

Show me this leak that you speak of? Again until we have actual proof he was offered things then it is purely paper speculation. When Cortese left if you look at KL's statement she says she offered him a deal as she wanted him to stay on. So far that has not been mentioned in our statement has it? So much bull**** has been written about our club over the years that you would think people would be a bit more cautious with supposed 'reports' wouldn't you? Guess not.

So you dont believe Liverpool are interested in Lallana and Man United in Shaw?

Only an utter tool would even think, for 1 minute, that we didn't try to keep him.

So you dont believe Liverpool are interested in Lallana and Man United in Shaw?

Of course they are. But knowing what was said/offered by a board to an employee is totally different.

Take a look at the rumours we were involved with in January http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10906131.Saints__transfer_rumour_round_up___January_2014/

How many of them turned out to actually happen? Of the 20 or so rumours not one happened. So like I said before sorry for not having faith in "rumours". If that makes me a megaspacker or whatever then fine.

Of course they are. But knowing what was said/offered by a board to an employee is totally different.

Take a look at the rumours we were involved with in January http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10906131.Saints__transfer_rumour_round_up___January_2014/

How many of them turned out to actually happen? Of the 20 or so rumours not one happened. So like I said before sorry for not having faith in "rumours". If that makes me a megaspacker or whatever then fine.

Have we had any confirmation on this from anyone at either Saints, Liverpool or Man united? Where is your proof? Please provide your source. Im sure you must have one as they must be more than just be rumours and paper talk if you believe them.

Have we had any confirmation on this from anyone at either Saints, Liverpool or Man united? Where is your proof? Please provide your source. Im sure you must have one as they must be more than just be rumours and paper talk if you believe them.

There is no proof. The difference is it is widely reported that those clubs are INTERESTED in those players. It doesn't mean they will make actual bids for them does it?

There is no proof. The difference is it is widely reported that those clubs are INTERESTED in those players. It doesn't mean they will make actual bids for them does it?

Okay fine, so you'll believe some rumours, just not all of them, especially when they fit with your stance of the board needing to grow a pair. I'm glad we got that straight.

Okay fine, so you'll believe some rumours, just not all of them, especially when they fit with your stance of the board needing to grow a pair. I'm glad we got that straight.

No....I believe that some clubs are after our players, you would have to be stupid not to believe that. But that does not mean those players will go to those clubs. Like I tried to show you with the echo link above if we believe rumours become fact then Shaw would be playing for Man Utd now, Lallana would be at Arsenal, Gaston would be at Inter with Osvaldo and we would have Shane Long as our striker. None of those turned out to be true. It doesn't mean that there was not any interest in them but if the percentage of how many of those rumours turned into reality was 0% then again sorry for not believing in them.

I am not saying he was not offered a deal, this is what you seem to be getting wrong. I am saying that just because someone somewhere said he was offered xyz it shouldn't be taken as fact. I honestly do not see how that fits in with me thinking the board need to grow a pair? Because quite frankly they do. They have acted very amateurish on many things. Comments from current players indicates some unhappiness with the board. But hey what do I know I am just a megaspacker :)

Speculative hyperbole. Like VFTT I agree, are they honestly suggesting that the Board didn't try to keep him? Was the Echo in on the negotiations? Both sides of business negotiate from a position of strength and there's usually some form of compromise. In this case Pochettino had the better hand. He had sufficient funds to buy out his contract and did so. Spurs didn't have to pay the 'buy out' as they weren't contracted to SFC. Had they done so SFC would have sledge hammered them.MP went because 'Money is the motivator when greed is the norm' e.g. Bale, RVP, Rooney, Robbie Savage et al. What makes anyone think MP is different?

No....I believe that some clubs are after our players, you would have to be stupid not to believe that. But that does not mean those players will go to those clubs. Like I tried to show you with the echo link above if we believe rumours become fact then Shaw would be playing for Man Utd now, Lallana would be at Arsenal, Gaston would be at Inter with Osvaldo and we would have Shane Long as our striker. None of those turned out to be true. It doesn't mean that there was not any interest in them but if the percentage of how many of those rumours turned into reality was 0% then again sorry for not believing in them.

I am not saying he was not offered a deal, this is what you seem to be getting wrong. I am saying that just because someone somewhere said he was offered xyz it shouldn't be taken as fact. I honestly do not see how that fits in with me thinking the board need to grow a pair? Because quite frankly they do. They have acted very amateurish on many things. Comments from current players indicates some unhappiness with the board. But hey what do I know I am just a megaspacker :)

What have they acted amatuerishly on?

What have they acted amatuerishly on?

* Allowing a big name brand to walk away from being a kit sponsor

* Allowing club sponsors to walk away

* Leaving important staff's contracts to get to the 1 year point

* Appointing a Chairman who has no experience of running a company let alone any football experience.

* Allowing a director to speak to the press saying we are in a difficult financial situation

etc

Spurs were first reported as wanting MP in early March. Would be surprised if we take 2 ½ months to appoint our manager (unless its Roy H ).

A manager, who most of us wanted to stay, resigned to go to a better paid job at a more famous, bigger , higher ranked club.

I would have liked the board to have been able to convince him to stay but I can't see what they could have done if this is his chosen career path.

Despite reports that best players were sold weeks ago, not one has left.

People are criticising KL, seemingly ignorant that she has been in charge for all of our promotions.

I will judge board after manager is appointed and we see how transfer window goes - we were told to be excited not fearful!? Let's see.

I know this rationale view won't sit well with the witch burning hysterical bedwetters, who will always moan & panic but its not necessarily a big backward step

Well done Nick, glad we have some calm posters out there

So Ralph confirmed today he was offered a contract and it wasn't a made up Internet rumour.