Sad Day To Be A Saints Fan

Gemmel

The question is why would he want to go? Does the clubs vision and his match?

I am sure if they did he would want to continue here. After all Spurs were only a few spaces above us.

But those few places really are massive. Tottenham are a much bigger club than us, IMHO 6th biggest in the country.

In 3 years time, White Hart Lane will have a capacity almost double ours and they will fill it regularly and if he stays as long as Jol or Redknapp, then he will be leading a team out on its opening day.

They can't though can they. How can you have a manager not wanting to be here, not committed or wanting to plan for the future? It's untenable.

The board should be judged on how hard they tried to keep him, and whether MP would have gone regardless. This we simply do not know.

The board can then subsequently be judged on the next appointment and ambitions shown. That will we know in time.

Untenable yes, so compensation paid by the defaulting party is the softener, however, not sure MP would want to build a rep as a contract breaker - the managerial equivalent of Levy. As for the rest, yes, should MP go, I agree with you, with a bit of emphasis

MP has no loyalty to us. Don't be fooled by him alluding that the owner and board are not prepared to bankroll his ambitions - that's just a cop out to appease the fans and take the heat off himself. If he goes now he is reneging on what is left of his contract - end of.

Completely gutted. Don't know how else to describe it.

Been doing this for years, but can't remember such a gut wrenching departure.

Players come and go - Part of the game and I'm old enough to understand that once a players head is turned, it is very difficult if not impossible to reverse the situation. I've read on here how Lallana and Shaw would stay. They won't and never would have, regardless who was in charge, But I always felt we had a shout with Poch and I could have lived with any of the players leaving as long as we kept him.

May be the shock of losing him to Spurs is a measure of how far we have come (Trying to find some positives) but it feels like the last five years have just come to a grinding halt.

It wasn't just the results, it was the football. Poch is and was the real deal. A complete breath of fresh air to the premiership and I loved every minute of it.

Don't blame the board, I am sure we did everything we could, but the footballing pecking order has spoken again, the most annoying thing, is that we were so close....so so so so close to doing something magical. The irony for me is that we were a world class striker away and at 15 million we really went for it with Osvaldo.....it just didn't work out.

Don't give up on Saints, we will be back.

Have I missed something?

Yes.

Give it the what has happened guff as much as you like.

He has left and joined Spurs

Really? When did that happen? You would expect it to be all over the sports news by now but I can only find stuff about Rodgers.

The only people to blame if Poch goes are the board. If, and I say this as it is as yet unconfirmed that he has gone, they had a 'vision' that embraced the potential, he might give it a bit longer, but if they have not convinced him that we are where he should build a great team, then they've dropped a massive clanger. Key players will leave, and the team that could achieve so much will be broken up and this will represent a massive fail.

The warning to the board is that financial success will not come unless you have a team on the football side capable of giving you the platform to capitalise on. The best commercial team in the world could not sell ice to Eskimos so ours will not be able to sell the Saints 'brand' to the world if they don't have success or even a dream of success on the football side. That is the reality. If you are reading, be warned that your job will become a great deal harder unless this 'leadership' has a very good plan.

The only people to blame if Poch goes are the board. If, and I say this as it is as yet unconfirmed that he has gone, they had a 'vision' that embraced the potential, he might give it a bit longer, but if they have not convinced him that we are where he should build a great team, then they've dropped a massive clanger. Key players will leave, and the team that could achieve so much will be broken up and this will represent a massive fail.

The warning to the board is that financial success will not come unless you have a team on the football side capable of giving you the platform to capitalise on. The best commercial team in the world could not sell ice to Eskimos so ours will not be able to sell the Saints 'brand' to the world if they don't have success or even a dream of success on the football side. That is the reality. If you are reading, be warned that your job will become a great deal harder unless this 'leadership' has a very good plan.

They won't be reading. If they were to take any notice of a few keyboard warriors posting anonymously on an Internet forum then I would be seriously concerned.

If Poch goes then I will be gutted. Its been a great season with the football pleasing to the eye and the pundits praising our brand of football, English backbone and progress. For a few weeks we flirted with the top four / six but what now. Are we now gonna be a team that is happy to dettle for 12th -16thin the Premier League? I love the fact that we went to the "big" teams and took themon and gave them a scare. If all the board want is Premiership survival then whats the point? We are on the verge of achieving something special and it just feels we are selling out. Just so gutted as it was exciting times, now its just exiting time!!!

I think we need to wait for confirmation before being down. The minute Cortese left things were going to decline. I understand that we can't expect KL to fund us for our own fix, but it is disappointing. Things just seem to be unravelling, WTFILN being sung in Pompey no doubt.

The good thing is that you can't hear them all the way down there...they're like a silent fart in a basement!

If this is confirmed, I'd love to think it won't be but I live in the real world, then I believe we'll look for someone who is committed to our style of play. The board haven't come out with any great mission statements but I can't believe that KL won't want to honour her father's wish to play the 'Southampton' way...

If the spuds were to choose DeBoer over MP it would be a kick in the goalies for him and might make him reconsider where he's well off but it's still all conjecture for now....sigh!

If all the board want is Premiership survival then whats the point?
A big "if" - and there is nothing to indicate that to be the case, so why worry about it? The have offered Pochettino a very good contract by all accounts. If he chooses not to sign it, what do you think they should do?

Halfwit - if he goes, of course Poch's to blame, he's the one who chose to leave - he wasn't pushed out!

Incorrect. With a vision of success to maintain his interest, he'd likely stay. Any quarter wit could see that so i guess you wouldn't see that in a mirror ;)

Thanks for the clarification dalek. Pop in here and you immediately think something concrete has happened.

Poch ain't goin nowhere so stop worryin

UTS MUSH

Betting on MoPo joining Spurs 1/10. Allowing for bookie margins on this type of market probably around 80% chance of this happening. So still some hope, albeit slim ...

[/b]

The good thing is that you can't hear them all the way down there...they're like a silent fart in a basement!

If this is confirmed, I'd love to think it won't be but I live in the real world, then I believe we'll look for someone who is committed to our style of play. The board haven't come out with any great mission statements but I can't believe that KL won't want to honour her father's wish to play the 'Southampton' way...

If the spuds were to choose DeBoer over MP it would be a kick in the goalies for him and might make him reconsider where he's well off but it's still all conjecture for now....sigh!

When he leaves I would quite like us to look abroad at managers who have had success playing good footie there, hopefully someone we have never heard of like poch. I don't think anyone wants any of the names banded about so far.

Spurs are the Graveyard of Managers.

It does appear that way but don't forget every manager that went there knew this but still thought

that they would be different. I expect MP would also think that he could be the one to do much better

than the others. You have to be self confident as a Football manager.

Having said that though most drug addicts start by thinking that they control the drugs and can stop

at any time they want when really the drug always controls the addict. NO I am NOT saying MP is a

drug addict.

MP has no loyalty to us. Don't be fooled by him alluding that the owner and board are not prepared to bankroll his ambitions - that's just a cop out to appease the fans and take the heat off himself. If he goes now he is reneging on what is left of his contract - end of.

This...every day if the week.

Watch now as the players perform the same trick and the bed wetters on here go even more mental.

Completely gutted. Don't know how else to describe it.

Been doing this for years, but can't remember such a gut wrenching departure.

Players come and go - Part of the game and I'm old enough to understand that once a players head is turned, it is very difficult if not impossible to reverse the situation. I've read on here how Lallana and Shaw would stay. They won't and never would have, regardless who was in charge, But I always felt we had a shout with Poch and I could have lived with any of the players leaving as long as we kept him.

May be the shock of losing him to Spurs is a measure of how far we have come (Trying to find some positives) but it feels like the last five years have just come to a grinding halt.

It wasn't just the results, it was the football. Poch is and was the real deal. A complete breath of fresh air to the premiership and I loved every minute of it.

Don't blame the board, I am sure we did everything we could, but the footballing pecking order has spoken again, the most annoying thing, is that we were so close....so so so so close to doing something magical. The irony for me is that we were a world class striker away and at 15 million we really went for it with Osvaldo.....it just didn't work out.

Don't give up on Saints, we will be back.

My sentiments exactly!

Mancsaint

After last season it would have been good to see if we could push on but this isnt the 70s and it is all about "projects" and Champions League football sadly. It is a job. Cortese jumped ship and the manager looks like he is doing likewise. I am more worried about our better players going but if that is limited to Shaw and Lallana and the new manager can bring in decent replacements there is no reason why we cant have a decent season next season too. Pochettino was good but is stll unproven at a higher level and his transfer activity wasn't brilliant. He will need to develop other ways of playing than just a high pressing game at Spurs and it will not be easy for him there. Onwards and upwards - keep the faith!

He will need to be a success quickly at Spurs. They have a deluded chairman and fanbase who both think they should be challenging for the title and Champions League. He will be under pressure straight away. Sadly there's no loyalty in football so it doesn't surprise me that he's gone. The key issue now is for our board to prove they have some ****** and not sell off all of our players. That concerns me far more than MP going

I am not sure how I feel really, managers like players come and go, the majority of Managers who have left us havent done any better and this may the case for MOPO, the grass isnt always greener on the other side. I would have liked to have seen if he could have progressed us any further next season, but so be it, fed up of being a stepping stone club.

I am not sure how I feel really, managers like players come and go, the majority of Managers who have left us havent done any better and this may the case for MOPO, the grass isnt always greener on the other side. I would have liked to have seen if he could have progressed us any further next season, but so be it, fed up of being a stepping stone club.

But Jan, we've always been a stepping stone Club, as has almost every other club out there.

Of course there are degrees of stepping stonedness, but the overwhelming majority of clubs lose their star players & managers over time. It's the nature of the beast, and with the odd exception, exceptional players, coaches and managers will always gravitate towards the top of the footballing pyramid.

We should probably be grateful that there are many more teams below us than above us! Before we get too upset, perhaps we should remember that many of our "stars" have been picked off from stepping stone clubs.

For me, losing players and staff is part and parcel of the game and there is little we can do about it, what matters is how we respond. That is within our control (aka don't go showering the Shearer dosh on Dixon and Speedie!!).

Edited by um pahars