Saints 0-1 Cardiff- Reaction thread

Bad Wolf

I don't necessarily want us to change from Plan A to Plan B, but I think we ought to mix up our play more. The occasional ball over the top might keep their defence guessing.

We were lofting it to Lambert at the back post all game. There's plenty of variety in our play, just need to step up the movement to get through packed defences.

Yesterday made it pretty clear that without Jay Rod, we seriously lack attacking options. Gallagher has missed a couple of good chances coming off the bench this season, not done much else wrong but not ever looked seriously threatening. I'd get him out on loan next season, hopefully sell Osvaldo on and then bring in 2 proven goalscorers in English leagues. Bringing Guly off the bench to try and win us the game makes any ambitions of catching Everton and Tottenham up look like a bit of a joke.

Well you guys haven't got much of a sense of humour have you :p ...it's only a bit of banter and it's not as if you've really got anything to play for let's be honest. I've had a dreadful season with Cardiff so cut me some slack...There were some really dismissive comments calling us dogs**t e.t.c so you can hardly blame me for playfully pointing that out...lighten up a bit lads, if you can't take it then don't dish it out:lol:

If I were you I'd concentrate on actually putting up a fight for your club who are being f*cked over by Tan. You've rolled over and had your bellies tickled by him. Thought Cardiff had a bit about them as a club but clearly not. Sell outs.

Yesterday made it pretty clear that without Jay Rod, we seriously lack attacking options. Gallagher has missed a couple of good chances coming off the bench this season, not done much else wrong but not ever looked seriously threatening. I'd get him out on loan next season, hopefully sell Osvaldo on and then bring in 2 proven goalscorers in English leagues. Bringing Guly off the bench to try and win us the game makes any ambitions of catching Everton and Tottenham up look like a bit of a joke.

The most encouraging thing about Gallagher is that he gets into these good positions in the first place. At the moment he is played for the U21's plus cameo appearances for the first team. Not sure if loaning him out would be any better for his development

We were lofting it to Lambert at the back post all game. There's plenty of variety in our play, just need to step up the movement to get through packed defences.

This is true, but until the last 10 minutes we seemed to only try the lofted ball to Lambert at the back post after several minutes of passing. Almost as if, s**t this is going nowhere let loft a long high ball to Lambo at the back post.

The most encouraging thing about Gallagher is that he gets into these good positions in the first place. At the moment he is played for the U21's plus cameo appearances for the first team. Not sure if loaning him out would be any better for his development

Agree that he's an exciting prospect, but wouldn't say he's ready for any sort of first team football at present, especially given our supposed level of ambition. Think he'd benefit from going out to a League 1 club, getting regular games and scoring a few goals.

Once again? He wasn't great yesterday, but has been excellent of late. None of our attacking players offered much yesterday.

In games against Norwich and Newcastle, who on form are currently the worst two sides in the league.

Sure, if we're playing well, score four goals and we provide him with enough service he'll help himself to one.

He never makes a difference in games where we're up against it and I for one will feel a little bit silly if he goes to the World Cup.

In games against Norwich and Newcastle, who on form are currently the worst two sides in the league.

Sure, if we're playing well, score four goals and we provide him with enough service he'll help himself to one.

He never makes a difference in games where we're up against it and I for one will feel a little bit silly if he goes to the World Cup.

So he just helps himself to a goal when we're playing well?

He doesn't contribute to us playing well in that match?

Load of tosh I'm afraid.

Prepare to feel silly then.

You do talk some rubbish. He's the main reason we are in the prem. only 6 people have scored and made more than 10 in Europe and lambert is one of those!

This. Gallagher has a bright future I hope but yesterday summed up our lack of depth perfectly with Sam followed by Guly

Blimey, that's the biggest load of baloney I've ever read.

:mcinnes:

Obviously with the fine sunny weather, everyone felt like a day off. Trouble is we don't get a refund. Still let's look on the bright side Newcastle and Villa suffer from the same malaise so we'll struggle to lose 8th place even if we really try hard!

I know there's nothing to play for but I'd be a bit worried about next season if we were to lose the next four.

The problem yesterday was nothing to do with being found out, bad tactics, fannying about or any other simple minded "man on the terrace" explanations.

It was simply bad execution from multiple players on multiple players in good positions.

Shaw's build up play was excellent but he wasted loads of great positions.

Lambert was awful.

Lallana had a sub-standard game.

Ramirez was decent but fluffed his chance to score.

If several players have a bad game at once then these things can happen. As we know, the squad is a little thin so it's hard for Poch to make too much of an impact with subs. Having said that, I thought Guly was really good.

The problem yesterday was nothing to do with being found out, bad tactics, fannying about or any other simple minded "man on the terrace" explanations.

It was simply bad execution from multiple players on multiple players in good positions.

Shaw's build up play was excellent but he wasted loads of great positions.

Lambert was awful.

Lallana had a sub-standard game.

Ramirez was decent but fluffed his chance to score.

If several players have a bad game at once then these things can happen. As we know, the squad is a little thin so it's hard for Poch to make too much of an impact with subs. Having said that, I thought Guly was really good.

Shaw and lallana were equally as bad a lambert.

I wouldn't say it was jeering but there was a lot of noise from a few away 'fans' during silence. There was a quick boo from Northam and to be fair away corner and noise stopped.

There was also some noise from Kingsland/Chapel area but that might have been people walking up from concourse below. Noise soon stopped and I think it was a respectful silence in the end.

The only noise cane from Cardiff booing/jeering. Everywhere else was silent. I was in chapel and was embarrassed by the noise of my carrier bag rustling under my seat. The 50odd Cardiff fans were a disgrace and was not at all surprised to see a few being ejected by stewards in the first few minutes of the match. To blame saints fans for any of that is a disservice and grossly mis-representative and unfair.

We were:

Out fought.

Out played.

Out thought.

Out sung.

Cardiff had the better manager. Better game plan and better commitment.

What's more - frankly they had the better fans.

Management, players and fans - we were ALL complacent. 'We are Southampton we've gone to the beach' sums it up well.

I think it was the worst performance of the season - from all of us.

Sad thing is - I can't see where we can gain another point this season with this sort of commitment. So I think we'll finish 10th at best.

We were:

Out fought.

Out played.

Out thought.

Out sung.

Management, players and fans - we were ALL complacent. 'We are Southampton we've gone to the beach' sums it up well.

Sad thing is - I can't see where we can gain another point this season with this sort of commitment. So I think we'll finish 10th at best.

Slightly OTT to say the least, I'd expect a post like this straight after a game, but 24 hours on? Seriously.

We were not out played, no idea what game you watched. It also wasn't a worst performance of the season. Check out Sunderland in the cup if you want to see that.

Calm down, we lost a game, but we're not a bad side. We'll probably win next week and edge over the line to what has been an utterly stunning season for us. Be grateful for what we have, it might not always be like this is what I say.

We were:

Out fought.

Out played.

Out thought.

Out sung.

Dear oh dear! Are you for real? Trying to pick one of your points that might be close to being true, and it could the fans......but then again in almost all cases a decent away following delivers better support than the home fans do.

We were:

Out fought.

Out played.

Out thought.

Out sung.

We were not out fought. Cardiff gave the impression that they really didn't give a toss whether they were relegated or not and clearly were happy with a draw. I thought they were awful and had no plan to beat us at all. In the end they were very fortunate that we gave even less of a toss than them.

Did anyone else think that Mats Møller Dæhli chap looked pretty handy? At 19 years old as well he could be worth a punt if Cardiff go down.

He is a fantastic prospect and has been superb for us. He's Norwegian and was signed by Ole so I'm glad to say that I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

We were not out fought. Cardiff gave the impression that they really didn't give a toss whether they were relegated or not and clearly were happy with a draw. I thought they were awful and had no plan to beat us at all. In the end they were very fortunate that we gave even less of a toss than them.

Agree

For a long period of the game..thought Cardiff VERY poor.

Cala given far too space and hit and hope that ended up beiing a scorcher.

Other than that very poor side.....Saints could not score on the day to sacve their lives,

JUST one of those days....

Marshall made some great saves....seen Caulker play much better ...but would still have him at Saints.

As others stated Daehli looked useful for 19 years...but no better than Reed/Ward-Prowse/McQueen....In fact think McQueen is a much better prospect than Daehli.

For Saints Marshall and Caulker if made available.

COYS

Good to meet up with Goatboy ...another true Saints supporter.;)

Marshall made more saves and kept a clean sheet than any other PL Keeper this season bar Krul at Spuds and Cala has had two shots on target, two goals! Look at Barcelona, lost 1-0 82% possession, 29 shots!!!!!! Like I said, xxxx happens!

Agree

For a long period of the game..thought Cardiff VERY poor.

Cala given far too space and hit and hope that ended up beiing a scorcher.

Other than that very poor side.....Saints could not score on the day to sacve their lives,

JUST one of those days....

Marshall made some great saves....seen Caulker play much better ...but would still have him at Saints.

As others stated Daehli looked useful for 19 years...but no better than Reed/Ward-Prowse/McQueen....In fact think McQueen is a much better prospect than Daehli.

For Saints Marshall and Caulker if made available.

COYS

Would completely agree. Though IF we'd scored in the first half we probably would've won comfortably. After 55mins it was obvious we weren't gonna score and there was nothing on the bench which would have changed my mind on that. Would like to see some more young attackers on the bench to try and win games rather than 2 sub centre backs next time. McQueen or Rowe or Sinclair? Couldn't hurt. Our squad isn't big enough/good enough/ needs 5 years to mature / to cope without more than 2 of our first team at present IMO.

Oh well, still a remarkably good season, rather this than a relegation dogfight! Poor Cardiff fans here are dreaming of survival now. It's the hope their feeling this week that will make it hurt so much more when they go down.

We were:

Out fought.

Out played.

etc etc..

Deary me...and there I was wondering if it were yet safe to come on here.

We lacked penetration, and our lack of depth was telling, but not a surprise to either us or the club, I would imagine. I do think the midfielders should chip in with a few more goals and I did notice quite a number of times Morgan carrying on his runs forward into the box, but when are we going to get a long range screamer or two to punish those teams that sit back against us. Mind you, I feel the same about our full backs: they've certainly all got the ability to score. If we'd have got 1 yesterday we'd have got 3 or more: I couldn't see Cardiff then scoring without leaving themselves vulnerable to our attacks. So s**t happened, but I'm not going to go into meltdown and let it completely ruin my weekend.

Would completely agree. Though IF we'd scored in the first half we probably would've won comfortably. After 55mins it was obvious we weren't gonna score and there was nothing on the bench which would have changed my mind on that. Would like to see some more young attackers on the bench to try and win games rather than 2 sub centre backs next time. McQueen or Rowe or Sinclair? Couldn't hurt. Our squad isn't big enough/good enough/ needs 5 years to mature / to cope without more than 2 of our first team at present IMO.

Oh well, still a remarkably good season, rather this than a relegation dogfight! Poor Cardiff fans here are dreaming of survival now. It's the hope their feeling this week that will make it hurt so much more when they go down.

Notice your location...Cardiff..College?

I had to travel to Cardiff the following day to collect my daughter from Cardiff Uni....

lots of washing/luggage to bring home....faced a few gloating Cardiff supporters.

Long delay at toll booths off the bridge....alongside some Chelsea supporters on their way to Swansea for the 4pm KO...

Some good banter re them buying half our team for next season.

AND how the hell we lost to Cardiff etc:mcinnes:

I believe we lack a leader on the pitch, Lallana is fine when things are going well, however on bad days or when things aren't going according to plan we seem to miss a motivator and organiser. The only problem is that I don't think there is any one who is better equipped within the current squad.

Prepare to feel silly then.

I already am, he's a Saints legend and its going to be a great shame having to watch him playing a million miles out of his depth in Brazil.

You do talk some rubbish. He's the main reason we are in the prem. only 6 people have scored and made more than 10 in Europe and lambert is one of those!

I'd say that Schneiderlin and Lallana were both equally, if not more important to our promotion than Lambert, but hey-ho. He's the striker and the guy who scores the goals is the best player etc. Anyway, Lambert is also the main reason we're still a long way off Everton and Spurs despite the overall strength of our team.

Blimey, that's the biggest load of baloney I've ever read.

:mcinnes:

Here's a challenge for you gentlemen: Name for me the worst striker in the Premiership that you'd have above Lambert in our centre-forward position, i.e the player you feel is one above Lambert were you to make a list of Premiership strikers in order of ability.

I already am, he's a Saints legend and its going to be a great shame having to watch him playing a million miles out of his depth in Brazil.

I'd say that Schneiderlin and Lallana were both equally, if not more important to our promotion than Lambert, but hey-ho. He's the striker and the guy who scores the goals is the best player etc. Anyway, Lambert is also the main reason we're still a long way off Everton and Spurs despite the overall strength of our team.

Here's a challenge for you gentlemen: Name for me the worst striker in the Premiership that you'd have above Lambert in our centre-forward position, i.e the player you feel is one above Lambert were you to make a list of Premiership strikers in order of ability.

Lambert has scored more than Spurs' top scorer.

Lambert has 11 goals, 10 assists. He is only behind Suarez, Sturridge, Rooney, Toure, Gerrard and Hazard.

Adebayor has 10+3, 8 less than Lambert.

Lukaku has 13+6, 2 less than Lambert.

Suggest they both would have done better with Lambert, particularly as his defensive or deep play is better.

Players I'd prefer? The future is hard but for this season? those who out performed him,

Ageuro, DeSilver, vanpersie off top of my head .

Clearly lukaku is better signing for future

The only noise cane from Cardiff booing/jeering. Everywhere else was silent. I was in chapel and was embarrassed by the noise of my carrier bag rustling under my seat. The 50odd Cardiff fans were a disgrace and was not at all surprised to see a few being ejected by stewards in the first few minutes of the match. To blame saints fans for any of that is a disservice and grossly mis-representative and unfair.

He's right, there was noise from the Northam. Though as he says, I think it was mostly people in the concourse not realising what was happening

You have a really weird, myopic view on Lambert, it comes over as strange. No-one is suggesting he is the greatest striker the world has ever seen or that he's going to continue to lead the line for us forever, but if you can't see how much he's done for us and still does for the team then I'm at a loss. As others have already stated, his stats alone this season are very impressive.

I actually agree with Radial to a large extent. Rickie is still, usually, good against the weaker teams but he's very easy for the well organised teams in this league to neutralise.

It's not his fault we don't have a decent alternative yet but, my goodness, we need one. We need better than him to get higher up the league. The rest of the team have left him behind.

Holt,Carroll,Wolfswinkel,Hooper to name a few ar far worse then RL..

Loic Remy, not brilliant but probably a bit above Rickie.

Did anyone else think that Mats Møller Dæhli chap looked pretty handy? At 19 years old as well he could be worth a punt if Cardiff go down.

Was that the blonde 12 year old. Thought he looked like a really good prospect. Would fit into our style.

better late than never I suppose.

Just got back from London, and sadly having watched the Cardiff game......one of my few " live games " the result was disappointing to say the least, but it was great to take in the atmosphere at SMS.

Everyone around me at SMS said.... it was the worst game they'd seen in a long time and that I ought to have been there to see the Newcastle match.....

We effectively " lost the game" in the first half. Having had so much possession when the Cardiff defence held off and looked like statues. After they scored, they pepped up a bit and we began to panic.

Definitely missed Jay Rod (as we will until he's back - no matter who gets the 9 shirt).. and why oh why did we play Gaston up front.......as he kept drifting back into midfield.

I would have tried Guly for 45 mins. (at least he can make a nuisance of himself), but by the time Sam G came on it was too late.

Anyone who wasn't convinced of Gazzaniga unsuitability before the game should surely have seen it by the end. Not his fault, of course, but he just isn't up to it.

Really think he was no better than Bart was at the end of his time...... and speaking of Polish keepers....I was encouraged by the recent " rumour " of maybe....signing Fabianski - if there's any truth in that.?

Don't see us getting too many more points until Boruc is back, and until we can get someone up front to shoot on sight... rather than making three passes inside the box before making an effort.

and whilst we're at it .....we ought to look at David Marshall -( if Cardiff go down). I made him MOM and he earned them the points.

Edited by david in sweden