Saints 0-1 Cardiff- Reaction thread

Bad Wolf

I think the only reason people are suggesting young Gallagher is because he's our only option, I personally don't think he's ready for this level yet. Not seen anything from him to suggest he is, yet.

The issue is that we don't have a squad.

I agree Gallagher's all round game isn't really there yet but at least he looks like actually stretching opposition defences, no harm in giving him some more experience given how the season is now petering out.

If the boot was on the other foot I would be delighted at stealing a result like that.

We so need to be much more snappy around the box it's almost like we are trying to score the perfect goal.

frustrating day, still I have Fillet steak for Tea tonight with a nice bottle of red to wash it down, so not all bad (unless I got a chewy bit and the wine is corked).

Just an up date from page one for those who might be curious.

The Steak was divine and the Wine Sublime: so the day had a silver lining................. Cheers!

Really disappointing day. I really did not think we would miss JRod that much. First half we lacked any urgency, lots of nice little passes and a couple of great moves but it was very pedestrian, lacking the usual energy, and we really could have been playing against statues for all the effort Cardiff were putting into it. Fighting for their lives, they looked like they couldn't give a monkeys, though Kim and Daehli looked useful. The biggest problem we had was making our way round their little fat bloke in the midfield (number 8), I really thought they had plucked one of the supporters out of the crowd and given him a shirt to wear. Gaston had some great moments, but all too often he was frustrating, but he should have scored, the deflection taking it on to the bar. Marshall kept them in the game with a couple of smart saves. Our defence were never really tested today, apart from a few corners. Gazza did nothing wrong, apart from punching a couple of corners behind for another corner, but was in no way responsible for the goal which was just a defensive calamity. Lovren had a couple of howlers again, and Fonte's attempt to foul Zaha (was it or was it Campbell) were comical. Shaw's crossing was woeful, really he is not the great LB everyone believes until he learns how to cross and even more how to score (but I'm sure it will come). Thought Adz was kept very quiet, and really did not seem up for it. Lambo pulled out of a chance in the first half that he would have gone for if he was not thinking about the WC. Morgan was strangely wasteful, Cork was probably our best player, but please can someone teach him how to shoot. Davis was good, but not quite up to his usual standards, but you cannot fault his effort, just seemed a bit unsure a few times what to do with the ball. I have to take exception with those who claim Cardiff came with a game plan to nick a goal, they had no such plan, they came for a draw, which was very odd for a team supposedly scrapping for their lives. They deserve to go down, they were awful, but lucked out. Gallagher, poor touch, really looking out of his depth after his encouraging start. Guly made one excellent pass late on which deserved better, but really it is time for Guly to be saying goodbye (but thanks for all you did for us in L1 and the Champ). Can't make up my mind about Chambers and Clyne - usually I think Chambers is better, but clearly he was struggling with the pace of Campbell and Zaha, and Clyne did do better against that.

Today showed so clearly to me the problem we have. We have had a great season and have 13 maybe 14 excellent players. We are now 3 strikers short (given that JRod will not really be back to full fitness this side of Christmas. Even if we bring Osvaldo back into the fold, we still need 2 more (lets not forget either that Lambo if he goes to Brazil will not have a full pre-season. So we should probably be looking at 3 strikers - unikley to happen but thats what we need. We need a LB to push Shaw and we need at least one new CB (hoping that Blackbeard is on his way out). We also need some new creativity in MF, probably a replacement for Ramirez and another one as well. Then there's the GK, we need two for sure, someone to push or replace Boruc who is too unreliable and someone to replace Gazza who really is not up to it. Reaiistically unlikely to bring in 6 or 7 but that is what is needed, our squad is so small and will need to be bolstered if we are to achieve 8th again next season, and thats assuming no-one leaves (other than Guly and Jos). Some will say Targett is the LB to push Shaw, but its clear to me that he is not thought ready, if he were then he would have made a matchday squad or two by now. It would ask a great deal of MP to manage bringing 6 or 7 players into the tightly knit group, one of the down sides of having such a tight knot squad is that bringing new members in is incredibly difficult.

Not being negative, but think today demonstrated clearly to me that good as this season has been there are some serious issues that need to be addressed this summer.

We weren't schitt first half we were excellent. Yes we did miss Rodriguez. Second half we looked a different team misplaced passes etc. I do believe our "World Cup" players were playing a little bit careful which affected the team. One thing that did **** me off when were attacking near corner post and passed it back when surely occasionally a quick wack across the penalty box along the ground would have been more effective.

Also very impressed with the Cardiff fans, very loud and passionate.

Oh dear. oh dear........Didn't quite go to script for you boys did it:lol: Just had a look at the build up to the Cardiff game thread....'I expect us to win by 3 or 4 goals'.(bp saint)...'Our easiest game of the season...a 5-1 thrashing (Wiggles31)....I could go on ;) ....Mind you, I have to admit that I also posted saying that I couldn't disagree with the forecasts , although I was genuinely tempted by the Cardiff 1-0 at 16/1 odds -(too lazy to go to the bookies:blush:) as I was hoping that you would be too complacent about this game and that's exactly what happened. ..Bluebirds, Bluebirds.....:smug:

Well I travelled down from the Midlands with my best mate and his boy who are both Cardiff season ticket holders so ********! I did say on the way there that if we were level at 60 minutes then Cardiff were in with a shout and unfortunately I got it spot on. We wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now - just one of those days. I would rather Cardiff stay up than Sunderland so not totally devastated. Too many off days I'm afraid.

Oh dear. oh dear........Didn't quite go to script for you boys did it:lol: Just had a look at the build up to the Cardiff game thread....'I expect us to win by 3 or 4 goals'.(bp saint)...'Our easiest game of the season...a 5-1 thrashing (Wiggles31)....I could go on ;) ....Mind you, I have to admit that I also posted saying that I couldn't disagree with the forecasts , although I was genuinely tempted by the Cardiff 1-0 at 16/1 odds -(too lazy to go to the bookies:blush:) as I was hoping that you would be too complacent about this game and that's exactly what happened. ..Bluebirds, Bluebirds.....:smug:

Well done on your result. Excellent support too. Nil points for you, wasting time on our board and being a tw%t

Edited by Bucks Saint

Don't think we were complacent, just missing Jay and not having a cutting edge. On another day you would have lost that comfortably. You look a bit of a cock coming on here and mouthing off. I highly doubt there would be many if any saints fans doing the same had the result been reversed.

Good first 45 minutes, usual silky stuff.

2nd half we came out and looked lazy. Then we conceded and it got even worse. Like watching a depressed XI.

Some credit to Schneiderlin who I thought was excellent.

Shaw and Lambert have done their England hopes some harm.

Don't think Woy will be swayed by what was a meaningless tie as far as we were concerned. By now they are either on the plane or not.

A bit like you moosh, a freak (result).

Well you guys haven't got much of a sense of humour have you :p ...it's only a bit of banter and it's not as if you've really got anything to play for let's be honest. I've had a dreadful season with Cardiff so cut me some slack...There were some really dismissive comments calling us dogs**t e.t.c so you can hardly blame me for playfully pointing that out...lighten up a bit lads, if you can't take it then don't dish it out:lol:

Well you guys haven't got much of a sense of humour have you :p ...it's only a bit of banter and it's not as if you've really got anything to play for let's be honest. I've had a dreadful season with Cardiff so cut me some slack...There were some really dismissive comments calling us dogs**t e.t.c so you can hardly blame me for playfully pointing that out...lighten up a bit lads, if you can't take it then don't dish it out:lol:

Erm you agreed that you have been dogs hit. You got your tactics right today but on another day you could have easily lost that. That's football.

Congrats on the 3 points Bloo but I think you are actually a much worse side than you were at the beginning of the season.

Top support today.

Our system demands both full backs provide the width. As some have pointed out, dreadful quality of crossing from both wings today, marginally improved when Clyne came on.

With no pace upfront given JayRod absence you simply have to get crosses in for Lambert and Gallagher and we couldn't do it. Didnt deserve to lose, but equally created about a quarter of the chances we did against Newcastle.

What do we fans know but when they took off Medel who was protecting their back four and we've lost Ramirez to injury we brought on Gallagher, would it not have been an option to bring on JWP and push Schneiderlin further forward.

Delivery from the fullbacks was poor. By the time we get the crosses in, the penalty box is defended and the crosses have to be pinpoint accurate. They weren't.

Few players not on the game today.

This in the Guardian, one of the better and quicker online papers for footy on Saturday evenings...

"For the first hour of this match, Southampton produced a typically effervescent display. Each attack resembled a magician's trick, with speed, illusion and sleight of foot outfoxing their hopeless opponents. When you thought the ball was heading left, it went right. When you thought Lambert would take a touch and assess his options, he instinctively feed a deft flick to Lallana, who had somehow ghosted into the penalty area.

Critically, however, the Saints did not score..."

We play lovely footy, and because I like the beautiful game because it's a beautiful game, this is the sort of thing I'd like to be reading about my team. Them's as can enjoy watching the scores come in on sky soccer saturday and think they're watching football won't agree — but more fool them.

have a good evening one and all :o)

Well said sir.

Very poor! All the cutting edge of a ferkin Parsnip ant the pace of moss growing!!! If we dont buy a decent striker we could hanging on next season... :rolleyes:

You are being unkind to parsnips .

Saints were playing frisbee on the beach.

I real[y don't see any point in coming to watch Mr Poches posers any more this season if this is the best they can do, nor buy another expensive season ticket because I don't believe their heart and soul is with the club now. And the watching Katherina must be wondering why she should invest in this feckless lot (Clyne and Davis excepted.)

Good luck in the Championship :wave:

Don't think we were complacent, just missing Jay and not having a cutting edge. On another day you would have lost that comfortably. You look a bit of a cock coming on here and mouthing off. I highly doubt there would be many if any saints fans doing the same had the result been reversed.

Pretty much this, the gloating is rediculous anyway, you have no chance in hell of staying up.

We are rubbish against side who sit back and park the bus. We cannot break teams down.

Well, there were plenty of opportunities to catch Cardiff out when we often dispossessed them in our own half. What did we do? Pretty sideways p*ssing about when a speedy forward pass could have exposed their keeper. Poor tactics.

Bucks Saint.....It's a bit ironic of you calling me names after I had reminded some of your more disrespectful supporters what they were saying about my team before the result, when you had previously liked a poster who was laughing at Gus Poyet's predicament. There were people on here respectfully saying that it would be a tough game but that the Saints should win and that's great. I wasn't have a pop at them but only the ones who were ultra confident whilst putting the boot in. Some decent guys on here wishing Cardiff well....genuinely appreciate that (Thanks goatboy:o) If we do go down to the Champonship I don't care as long as we go down fighting. As they say, so much of football is psychological, so with a bit more confidence gained after today, we've still got a chance, however slim........Anyway I like The Saints, you play football in the way it should be played and I hope you can hang on to your best players. As a football fan it would annoy me if the big boys just come in and take what they want......Best wishes and no offence meant..:)

Bucks Saint.....It's a bit ironic of you calling me names after I had reminded some of your more disrespectful supporters what they were saying about my team before the result, when you had previously liked a poster who was laughing at Gus Poyet's predicament. There were people on here respectfully saying that it would be a tough game but that the Saints should win and that's great. I wasn't have a pop at them but only the ones who were ultra confident whilst putting the boot in. Some decent guys on here wishing Cardiff well....genuinely appreciate that (Thanks goatboy:o) If we do go down to the Champonship I don't care as long as we go down fighting. As they say, so much of football is psychological, so with a bit more confidence gained after today, we've still got a chance, however slim........Anyway I like The Saints, you play football in the way it should be played and I hope you can hang on to your best players. As a football fan it would annoy me if the big boys just come in and take what they want......Best wishes and no offence meant..:)

I'm assuming Bloo won't have paid his fiver so hopefully he'll **** off back to the Cardiff forum now.

Anyway, Davis was MotM for me today. He seemed to be one of the few trying until the end. Unfortunately today just demonstrated our lack of depth when we have an injury or two, especially since Osvaldo went. No real attacking options. Definitely an area we need to strengthen in the summer, together with a high quality central defender IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Is it true that Cardiff fans were jeering during the minutes silence? Can't see it mentioned anywhere except on someone's Facebook

Sounded like it came from saints fans near the barrier in the itchen, and a few Cardiff told them to be quiet.

Can't see that a bad result immediately means that new players are needed. True that long shots by Cork aren't much point and that Gallagher wasn't able to put away the chance that came to him. Also, that the crosses were rarely met by effective headers. But the squad does have excellent players and consistently keeps the ball for most of the time, regardless of who is the opposition. Yesterday's team was good enough to beat Cardif but failed because we all know that possession wasn't converted into goals. Surely that isn't because Saints lack individually brilliant players, because they don't. Seeems more likely it's down to tactics, which ultimately is a matter for the coaches. Responsibility for recent results, including yesterday's, should lie with MP and his coaching staff. If they can work out what they are doing wrong in the instructions they are giving the players, its likely we already have the players to do the job with just 2 or, maybe 3, in close season to improve the weaker spots. Verdict on MP: great manager but can still do better and needs to.

Fair comment. Sadly, some on here are well known as great at dishing it out but oh so precious when it comes back!

Needed a striker in January' date=' especially when Osvaldo left, didn't get one & now reaping what we sowed. Disappointing end to the season.[/quote'] Did we need a striker in January? On the basis that we had Osvaldo, Lambert and Rodriguez? We're obviously going to bring in at least one new forward this summer, I expect it'll be two with the Rodriguez situation. We've not been too bad at scoring goals since Jan have we?

Lambert once again dreadful and a major handicap for our team.

If you can't score against the bottom club with by far the worst away record at home, your centre-forward is doing it wrong.

Once again? He wasn't great yesterday, but has been excellent of late. None of our attacking players offered much yesterday.

IMHO yesterday showed the weakness in Shaw & Chambers games. Yes they are great prospects and damned good FB's already, but yesterday they were playing as out and out wingers for most of the game.

Their final ball or creativity around the box are not yet good enough. Compare the difference when Clyne came on, had a great shot and caused more problems to their defence.

Not in anyway saying that "we must get new players in" or anything like that, but both of them need to spend a lot more time with the coaching staff working in the final third IF this playing style is to be effective against "Park the Bus" anti-football teams.

(Note yes they are young, I am not getting at them as players and yes that side of their game will develop in time, but we can't just blame SRL for not getting on the end of crosses in the box as a lot of those crosses were woeful)

Surprised no one else has mentioned our **** poor results at home against West Ham, Sunderland, Stoke, Villa and now Cardiff.

It really isn't good enough that we've managed 3 points from those utter ****e clubs...

No-one has mentioned the games specifically, but the fact we do struggle to break teams down that come to St Marys and sit back and make life hard work has been mentioned a fair bit - it's one of the few criticisms that can be levelled a bit at MP, certainly one for him to think about for next season.

Our home form this year hasn't been great relatively speaking, it's our away form that has stood out really. Probably something to do with teams coming out to attack us and leaving us room to play the game with space in the right areas.

I know it can be a common moan on here after a game, but what the f**k has happened to our support? I don't think I've been to many grounds over the years, even the likes of Old Trafford or Emirates with all their "day-trippers" that sees such an exodus from about the 88th minute, the ground looked over half empty at the final whistle, in a game that wasn't that bad and we weren't being thrashed in. Even happens when we win. Absolutely bizarre.

We played some great stuff and just lacked that little cutting edge tans pace that Rodriguez has offered us all season. No biggie. Shaw and chambers have crossed the ball pretty well all season. Yesterday they didn't. Next week they will be better and we will perhaps win.

I know it can be a common moan on here after a game, but what the f**k has happened to our support? I don't think I've been to many grounds over the years, even the likes of Old Trafford or Emirates with all their "day-trippers" that sees such an exodus from about the 88th minute, the ground looked over half empty at the final whistle, in a game that wasn't that bad and we weren't being thrashed in. Even happens when we win. Absolutely bizarre.

Crazy especially when there is always four or five minutes injury time. Hopefully One of these days we will grab a couple of last minute goals and these guys will miss out.

Lambert once again dreadful and a major handicap for our team.

If you can't score against the bottom club with by far the worst away record at home, your centre-forward is doing it wrong.

Once again behave. He's been very good this month and his stats doing back that up. Created 58 chances this season. Amazing effort. And one of six in Europe to score and create more than 10 goals. You don't mention lallana or shaws woeful display! Maybe you'd rather Rasiak upfront who was lazy as hell.

Is it true that Cardiff fans were jeering during the minutes silence? Can't see it mentioned anywhere except on someone's Facebook

Sounded like it came from saints fans near the barrier in the itchen, and a few Cardiff told them to be quiet.

There was some drunken noise coming from their area for the first few seconds but somebody must have let them know what was going on. I think it was coming from below stairs.

Had a chance to think about the game on the long rail journey home (I have to say South Western trains really are crap!) and then read the papers this morning.

We were good in the first half (almost a touch of Arsenal a few years ago trying to score the perfect goal). Another day and one goal going in would have lead to a landside. But it didn't happen.

When you play against any team they will have a couple of chances, and Cardiff did, and put one away.

Chambers & Shaw didn't have their greatest games, although the ball was often fed to them too late many, many time. Loads of times they were in position in space on the wings only to wait while we did 4 or 5 passes in the centre before going wide by which time Cardiff were all set up to defend. Clyne definatly sharped things up when he came on.

To be fair to MoPo he did try a Plan B for the final 10 minutes when we had Guly, Lambert & Gallagher on. We started putting a lot of high balls into the box. Not saying it worked, or a good idea but it was a plan B!

There was some drunken noise coming from their area for the first few seconds but somebody must have let them know what was going on. I think it was coming from below stairs.

As the minutes silence started, a Saints fan turned up in Block 1, in full wedding dress, veil and all. This was greeted with a few cheers, which quickly got shushed.

IMHO yesterday showed the weakness in Shaw & Chambers games. Yes they are great prospects and damned good FB's already, but yesterday they were playing as out and out wingers for most of the game.

That's not a weakness, that's just what happened because we spent the whole game camped in their half. They didn't have much to defend, but they were caught out a couple of times on the break I suppose. Medel and Kim were quite good at turning on their 18 yard line and setting runners off.

Guly almost set up a goal yesterday, let's not forget. Cut the defence apart with a single pass and set Gallagher (I think?) through on the keeper.

To be fair to MoPo he did try a Plan B for the final 10 minutes when we had Guly, Lambert & Gallagher on. We started putting a lot of high balls into the box. Not saying it worked, or a good idea but it was a plan B!

I don't necessarily want us to change from Plan A to Plan B, but I think we ought to mix up our play more. The occasional ball over the top might keep their defence guessing.