Saints 0-1 Cardiff- Reaction thread

Bad Wolf

Too slow, its all very pretty n all but its just not effective without pace out wide (and when the FBs cant cross effectively). They came to nick a win anyway but we made it easy by slowing the game down. Lamberts not mobile enough and Lallana wants too many touches. Ramirez looked good before his standard early exit.

The lack of risk taking just lets then get men behind the ball and get compact. We just pass, probe and pass and probe. Movement was terrible too. We really miss Jay Rods direct running.

You've saved me typing. Shaw's crossing was awful. Would somebody please tell them that playing the ball back and forwards along the back four is never going to score any goals, and you've only got to miss one pass to put yourselves in trouble. Fonte got caught for pace a few times.

Nobody else with any thoughts on the blatant Cardiff handball that should have given us a penalty?
Inconclusive on the stream I looked at.

Given that Cardiff we so darn poor though I don't think we should be relying on refs to give us anything. All that possession up to the edge of their area and then hardly a shot for Marshall to save. The crossing today was pants on the few occasions we didn't try and stroll through the middle.

Can't think of anyone that deserves a MotM today. Almost looked like they didn't really care.

Cork played well. Would like to say they wanted it more but that was not the case. Hopefully we can come again and get enough points to finish 8th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too slow, its all very pretty n all but its just not effective without pace out wide (and when the FBs cant cross effectively). They came to nick a win anyway but we made it easy by slowing the game down. Lamberts not mobile enough and Lallana wants too many touches. Ramirez looked good before his standard early exit.

The lack of risk taking just lets then get men behind the ball and get compact. We just pass, probe and pass and probe. Movement was terrible too. We really miss Jay Rods direct running.

This.

To many safe passes and no willingness to take a man on. As good as Lallana has been this season, he does like to try the fancy touch when something simple would work. Would have preferred to see cork stay on and see Morgan come off.

Too many floated balls in too. And finally we have nothing to come off the bench and change a game.And why did our full insist on cutting inside.

Edited by Wrensup

Just got back home. Another one of those "how on earth did we lose that?" games.

The first half was all about *when* we were going to score, not *if*. So much space in midfield for us but no cutting edge.

I haven't read this thread yet but I would imagine the phrase: "That's how much we miss JRod" crops up quite a bit.

A few of our players seemed like they were in "don't get myself injured before the world cup" mode. Understandable I suppose given what they witnessed last week.

MotM = Cork or Davis

Oh well...onto Villa....

Just accept xxxx happens occasionally; look at the statistics on the match, then look at Burnley at home (lost 1-0) and Luton at home (lost 2-3) mirror images.

If Gaston's shot had gone in then we would have won by many. Cork was excellent, shooting apart, their keeper made 3 very good saves, but what really let us down today was the crossing/final ball. Shame. Oh, and Arsenal are losing 1-0 to Wigan.

After every lost match there are always fans harping on and bemoaning the managers lack of a plan B. Just what is this mythical plan B? What should MP have done differently? I'd love to know.

Plans B C D E and F involved sending on the efficient striker that we didn't buy in January because we are in a "difficult finanancial situation". Jeez have those people something to learn about football finances. I thought we played well enough today but had nothing at the sharp end again.

Just got back home. Another one of those "how on earth did we lose that?" games.

The first half was all about *when* we were going to score, not *if*. So much space in midfield for us but no cutting edge.

I haven't read this thread yet but I would imagine the phrase: "That's how much we miss JRod" crops up quite a bit.

A few of our players seemed like they were in "don't get myself injured before the world cup" mode. Understandable I suppose given what they witnessed last week.

MotM = Cork or Davis

Oh well...onto Villa....

Blimey, you actually speak some sense when you're not trying to be hilarious.

I'm guessing you didn't go

No I watched online as I can't afford the time or readies to go but after having a season ticket for many years until our return to the championship and spunking a wad on many good days out, weekends away I'm not going to cry about it.

The result and parts of the second half were pants imho but don't let that stop you being SPecial gAZ.

Is it true that Cardiff fans were jeering during the minutes silence? Can't see it mentioned anywhere except on someone's Facebook status.

I wouldn't say it was jeering but there was a lot of noise from a few away 'fans' during silence. There was a quick boo from Northam and to be fair away corner and noise stopped.

There was also some noise from Kingsland/Chapel area but that might have been people walking up from concourse below. Noise soon stopped and I think it was a respectful silence in the end.

I'm no more special than you mush. Just don't get all negative when we lose. We've all been to loads of aways days (going back to early 80's if you're trying to make a point) and been there through the **** times in championship & league one. But Im not trying to make a point or slag you off. Just telling you to get a grip as we weren't pants, just undone by a good goal and a **** day at the office.

The worst game I've seen from Saints this season I'm afraid to say and that's saying something given the poor opposition today. Let's face it Cardiff had one shot on target and scored a great goal from it. We must have had 60-70% possession and fannied around with the ball all match. OK, perhaps not all match but large parts.

Gazza is a disaster waiting to happen - a complete flapper of a keeper...dreadful really.

Lambert and Lallana clearly had Brazil in their sights...(pity there was nobody from the England coaching set-up at SMS today - might have seen a better display) - both were lethargic. Fonte looked dodgy for parts of the game.

Overall it matters little in the grand scheme of things, but I pay good money to see my team play better than that TBH.

The worst game I've seen from Saints this season I'm afraid to say and that's saying something given the poor opposition today. Let's face it Cardiff had one shot on target and scored a great goal from it. We must have had 60-70% possession and fannied around with the ball all match. OK, perhaps not all match but large parts.

Gazza is a disaster waiting to happen - a complete flapper of a keeper...dreadful really.

Lambert and Lallana clearly had Brazil in their sights...(pity there was nobody from the England coaching set-up at SMS today - might have seen a better display) - both were lethargic. Fonte looked dodgy for parts of the game.

Overall it matters little in the grand scheme of things, but I pay good money to see my team play better than that TBH.

Ray Lewington was there. Neither did themselves any favours today, although Lallana is most definitely assured a place anyway.

Mistake playing all 3 of Lallana, Ramirez and Lambert. Everyone looking to create and no-one getting on the end of it. Needed Gallagher in there for one of them.

Clyne should have come on a lot earlier for Chambers as well, who never really got into the game.

Mistake playing all 3 of Lallana, Ramirez and Lambert. Everyone looking to create and no-one getting on the end of it. Needed Gallagher in there for one of them.

Clyne should have come on a lot earlier for Chambers as well, who never really got into the game.

I think the only reason people are suggesting young Gallagher is because he's our only option, I personally don't think he's ready for this level yet. Not seen anything from him to suggest he is, yet.

The issue is that we don't have a squad.

Just got home. Pretty toothless performance. Think there keeper only had to make two decent saves. The others were all at him...Fullbacks got forward well but no final ball. Another visit to St Mary's ...another loss lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I think the only reason people are suggesting young Gallagher is because he's our only option, I personally don't think he's ready for this level yet. Not seen anything from him to suggest he is, yet.

The issue is that we don't have a squad.

When Gallagher started against Arsenal he looked lively, that might have been because he was playing with JRod and not instead of him. Today I thought he offered very little in his 25 minutes on the pitch.

Missed a bit of the 2nd half but Clyne looked threatening going forward and seemed to offer much more than Chambers did

Gazza did ok I felt,had a couple of saves to make and did them well

On another note Zaha looked a handful when he came on,gave Fonte a tough old time HCDAJFU imo

This in the Guardian, one of the better and quicker online papers for footy on Saturday evenings...

"For the first hour of this match, Southampton produced a typically effervescent display. Each attack resembled a magician's trick, with speed, illusion and sleight of foot outfoxing their hopeless opponents. When you thought the ball was heading left, it went right. When you thought Lambert would take a touch and assess his options, he instinctively feed a deft flick to Lallana, who had somehow ghosted into the penalty area.

Critically, however, the Saints did not score..."

We play lovely footy, and because I like the beautiful game because it's a beautiful game, this is the sort of thing I'd like to be reading about my team. Them's as can enjoy watching the scores come in on sky soccer saturday and think they're watching football won't agree — but more fool them.

have a good evening one and all :o)

This in the Guardian, one of the better and quicker online papers for footy on Saturday evenings...

"For the first hour of this match, Southampton produced a typically effervescent display. Each attack resembled a magician's trick, with speed, illusion and sleight of foot outfoxing their hopeless opponents. When you thought the ball was heading left, it went right. When you thought Lambert would take a touch and assess his options, he instinctively feed a deft flick to Lallana, who had somehow ghosted into the penalty area.

We play lovely footy, and because I like the beautiful game because it's a beautiful game, this is the sort of thing I'd like to be reading about my team. Them's as can enjoy watching the scores come in on sky soccer saturday and think they're watching football won't agree — but more fool them.

In a nutshell, 'All style and no substance'. It's points on the board that counts.

Dire. Lacked pace. Shaw's crossing and final ball in particular were poor. Lambert dire. Lallana poor. Too many passengers.

No, they lacked someone that could stick the friggin ball in the net, apart from that, and the ****e defensive balls up, the game was good.

He's struggling to get a start for a side who will probably get relegated this season...

Still looked handy when he came on regardless,there is no doubt he has massive potential he just needs the right training/team/ to bring the best out of him

Edited by pangy

In a nutshell, 'All style and no substance'. It's points on the board that counts.

I contest that style IS substance - it's my whole point about what football actually is

I also contest that if it's only points on the board which count, then you're not football fan, you're a statistician

:p

Great post this. Its always disappointing to lose and clearly we have problems with squad depth but once again we were great to watch in the first half. We just lacked that clinical finish. If we could get 2 or 3 quality signings in the Summer and hold onto the players we've got then we could see further improvement next season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Still looked handy when he came on regardless,there is no doubt he has massive potential he just needs the right training/team/ to bring the best out of him

Well he has pace so when Cardiff launched the ball long when we had committed players forward he would look useful. He isn't worth the money paid for him or the money it would cost to buy him.

Their small left winger looked tidy though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Just got in.

Well that was rubbish! I predicted we would lose.

Waaaaay to slow. Cant think of a player that played well. Thought Chambers had another poor game. Why didnt he head it away rather than back into the middle?

Ramirez has some quality, but has failed to show it for quite a while.

Davis was poor too.

Zaha showed us what we desperately need, PACE!!!!!

MP has to take some responsibility today. Cardiff came to defend & Clyne is a lot better going forward than Chambers & every bit as good a defender.

Bit fed up tonight!!