The 2014/2015 'New Forest Derby' Thread

jawillwill

Not sure they would be. Not really sure what actually constitutes a small club, always thought it was the population of the city or town the club was in. Population of Bournemouth is nearly 200,000, not much less than Southampton with a population of 250,000. If Yeovil were to reach the premiership that would be small club.
No, nothing to do with the size of the city, by Premier League standards, Bournemouth would comfortably be the smallest club to make it there.

No, nothing to do with the size of the city, by Premier League standards, Bournemouth would comfortably be the smallest club to make it there.

Even compared to the previous 'smaller' clubs to have played in the Premier League; Blackpool, Barnsley, Oldham, Swindon..... yes, they would be without doubt the smallest to have got in. In terms of current stature though, could it be argued that Bournemouth are similar in terms of stature to Swindon and Oldham?

Erm, nope! No idea where you got that idea from. They're a big enough club to be making a go of it in the Prem, why would they come up 'just for the money'?

You are obviously not aware of what happened at the time. It's all documented, there are even books about it. Derby weren't ready for the PL and made no attempt to be, they were even sold in the January to an American company. PL income and future PPs over CC wages helped to sell them for about 120 million.

Edited by Window Cleaner

You are obviously not aware of what happened at the time. It's all documented, there are even books about it. Derby weren't ready for the PL and made no attempt to be, they were even sold in the January to an American company.
To be fair, Ive never heard that either, what are the books and links which explain this?

Even compared to the previous 'smaller' clubs to have played in the Premier League; Blackpool, Barnsley, Oldham, Swindon..... yes, they would be without doubt the smallest to have got in. In terms of current stature though, could it be argued that Bournemouth are similar in terms of stature to Swindon and Oldham?
Swindon and Oldham are the closest, but at the time of them entering the PL they were bigger than Bournemouth are now.

You are obviously not aware of what happened at the time. It's all documented, there are even books about it. Derby weren't ready for the PL and made no attempt to be, they were even sold in the January to an American company. PL income and future PPs over CC wages helped to sell them for about 120 million.

Remember they were taken over by some American syndicate, selling players on promotion in order to maximise return? No.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/derby-county/transfers/verein_22_2007_default_default_alle_a_default.html

According to that they had a net spend of around £15m. Alan Stubbs, Claude Davis (Over 3 million for Claude Davis!?), Rob Earnshaw, Kenny Miller..... they wern't shy.

Remember they were taken over by some American syndicate, selling players on promotion in order to maximise return? No.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/derby-county/transfers/verein_22_2007_default_default_alle_a_default.html

According to that they had a net spend of around £15m. Alan Stubbs, Claude Davis (Over 3 million for Claude Davis!?), Rob Earnshaw, Kenny Miller..... they wern't shy.

It's all explained in Bad,Worse, Worst. Derby went into the PL with what was virtually a championship team, think they had 3 chairmen over the season and made a few January acquisitions but at the start of the season they had a CC side and never recovered from it. They sacked Davies and appointed Jewell but all he did was loan out any decent players they might have had to reduce costs.

It's all explained in Bad,Worse, Worst. Derby went into the PL with what was virtually a championship team, think they had 3 chairmen over the season and made a few January acquisitions but at the start of the season they had a CC side and never recovered from it. They sacked Davies and appointed Jewell but all he did was loan out any decent players they might have had to reduce costs.

This is very different to your claims earlier in the thread.

To be fair, until Madejski took them on and built their stadium, Reading weren't any bigger than Bournemouth.

They have a pretty big catchment population wise , but their support is shocking. Poole, Christchurch, ferndown, wimborne, Wareham, not to mention the outskirts of Bournemouth itself , kinson,Winton,southbourne,westbourne,boscombe. Poole and Bournemouth is basically one conurbation with good transport links to dean court. Living and working in BH postcode for 20 years I've probably only met a handful of genuine supporters, the rest support a big club as well.

Eddie Mitchell was as shady as they come and this new owner has Gaydamak written all over him. It is not some sort of fairy story this, they're following the twitchy /storrie business model, with a little less money. They are buying players there's no way they can afford.

They are a tiny club, League 1 is their natural position, what has their towns size got to do with anything?

Well, as much as I feared, it's hard to get some sensible debate on here. Lord Duckhunter absolutely hates us, I know that from posts in local papers, that's fine but bordering on the obsessed, but its ALWAYS the exiles who end up hating the team from where they live...

The bizarre thing is, you have always said how much you don't care about us - but threads like this prove it's not really true is it. It's nothing on the Pompey scale of hatred, but we do register. Many of you like to kid yourselves that we are all raving 'scummer haters' and I have constantly said on here that its not true! there are a few, they might start singing Scummer stuff, but I don't join in and loads I know don't either. You like to convince yourselves we all hate you, so you can give it back...a few on here like Goldenballs know the actual situation.

So come on, is it that hard to get a proper discussion going on here? Without the *****ing? Remember how much you DON'T care ;)

Well, as much as I feared, it's hard to get some sensible debate on here. Lord Duckhunter absolutely hates us, I know that from posts in local papers, that's fine but bordering on the obsessed, but its ALWAYS the exiles who end up hating the team from where they live...

The bizarre thing is, you have always said how much you don't care about us - but threads like this prove it's not really true is it. It's nothing on the Pompey scale of hatred, but we do register. Many of you like to kid yourselves that we are all raving 'scummer haters' and I have constantly said on here that its not true! there are a few, they might start singing Scummer stuff, but I don't join in and loads I know don't either. You like to convince yourselves we all hate you, so you can give it back...a few on here like Goldenballs know the actual situation.

So come on, is it that hard to get a proper discussion going on here? Without the *****ing? Remember how much you DON'T care ;)

You're talking b*llocks pal. Many Saints fans above teenage years have long regarded Bournemouth as a second club of sorts; the inoffensive little brigade down the road who you hope the best for. Cherries results used to get read out and cheered at the Dell if they had won. It's like a big brother - little brother relationship. Of course we care.

What do you want discuss? It's clearly a one-sided rivalry, no great shame in that.

I really like Bournemouth. That OK? I used to live there. Was always more fun in the summer though.

OK you care in a nice way, that fine then, just checking :D Just always been so hard to talk footy on here before a bits of name calling started taking it downhill!

And as far as attendances - yes ours are terrible, although now slightly better. The 'urban area' local popn of nearly 470,000 and 5k crowds - even factoring in a bad standard of football, that's exceptionally bad and been the subject of many a pub discussion.

So feet up time now for you lot is it?

Remember how much you DON'T care ;)

Of course many of us care, many want you to do well. I would love to see the Cherries in the Premier League just like I hoped we would both go up from League 1 together in 2011.

Feet up time? It's felt like that since the Sunderland defeat in the FA Cup. The subplot of four players chasing an England place has kept things interesting.

Well, as much as I feared, it's hard to get some sensible debate on here. Lord Duckhunter absolutely hates us, I know that from posts in local papers.

What the **** are you on about?

I Remember posting in the echo after we won 3-1 at dean court and your chump of a sports reporter claimed;it was lucky, our centre halves were like laural and hardy ( funny how one is still playing fir us in the top flight) and that Nigel Adkins celebrated the win like he'd won the FA cup. The article was bitter, unprofessional and inaccurate and I posted my thoughts on this pathetic attempt at match reporting. Other than that im struggling to recall ever posting in "local papers". Im actually struggling with the local papers bit. There's the echo , and then what? The advertiser ? Do they have a comments section, cause that's all we get in Poole? Maybe you get a Saga one in Bournemouth maybe "welfare weekly " in Boscombe although i think the Liverpool echo or Glasgow herald might count as local papers in Boscombe. However , I've never posted in them either, and i certainly wouldn't post in any of the publications sold around the triangle. So dont really know what on earth you're on about.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

This. This is exactly what most of them are like. I am from Poole initially and they are, in the main, a sad bunch of muppets who don't much like us. Which seems odd given that we gave them a hand when they were going down the pan.

Still if they come up it would be beautiful doing them twice in one season...You know if we get a striker that is.

You might be able to explain something.

Why is that so many people from Poole are Saints fans?

Is it something to do with Poole regarding itself as a seperate entity in the Dorset connurbation and supporting Saints as a form of protest?

The first Poole-based Saints fans I ever met was back in the old days of standing under the East Stand at The Dell when Saints first got into the top flight. My old man got talking to these guys who used to come up from Poole every home game, and said they would never go and watch Bournemouth. (One of them worked at Poole Pottery and used to bring up a piece of the pottery's wares every home game as a little thank you for saving a place for him. I kid you not, my old man eventually had a full Poole Pottery dining set, and some majolica vases, all now vintage 60s and 70s pieces which are worth a lot of money).

But since then, I've known and worked with loads of people from Poole who support Saints.

And that's not to mention the fair few Saints fans in Weymouth.

Is it something to do with Poole regarding itself as a seperate entity in the Dorset connurbation and supporting Saints as a form of protest?

The first Poole-based Saints fans I ever met was back in the old days of standing under the East Stand at The Dell when Saints first got into the top flight. My old man got talking to these guys who used to come up from Poole every home game, and said they would never go and watch Bournemouth. (One of them worked at Poole Pottery and used to bring up a piece of the pottery's wares every home game as a little thank you for saving a place for him. I kid you not, my old man eventually had a full Poole Pottery dining set, and some majolica vases, all now vintage 60s and 70s pieces which are worth a lot of money).

But since then, I've known and worked with loads of people from Poole who support Saints.

I moved to Poole in '91 ( funny enough from Oakland park FLA, bearing in mind your name) and I was surprised the amount of saints fans on the train. Some of my best mates now were first encountered on the train up to the dell. There isnt really an anti Bournemouth feel about the place, its more of a "I'm from Poole" mentality. Why would I support Bournemouth, its a different town is the feeling, particularly in the old parts and around hamworthy . The nearer you get to Bournemouth the less that's the feeling, but Poole people are Poole people, they don't ever say or think "Poole, near Bournemouth". The football club aren't even Bournemouth's club, that was Bournemouth poppies, they were boscombe cherries , then Bournemouth & Boscombe and now Bournemouth.

Somebody once told me that Poole is the largest town to have never had a football league club.

People have many and varied reasons for supporting saints from Poole. My 4 children do because I was born in Southampton and brainwashed them, even though they've no other ties to the city. I think most of the support stems from Poole people wanting to watch first division football back in the late 60's and 70's and the transport links being pretty good. I think this generation then influenced others, nephews, kids etc and the support just grew. I've certainly never heard people say the don't like Boscombe out of any chip on their shoulder over town size or proximity. Any dislike of boscombe is down to their wannbe a skate behaviour, their fawning of twitchy or their blind hatred of us. They really do resent BH Saints even more than they hate Man u or arsenal supporters living in Poole. It never used to be like this, its a very new thing. What makes me laugh is sometimes they moan about "glory hunters". Glory? ****ing hell .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

This sort of sums up my view of Bournemouth really. They seem to want Saints to be their rival but really they're rather insignificant and I couldn't give a **** whether they get promoted or not although I'm rooting for Nigel to be honest.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Saints fans in Weymouth I can shed some light. Going back a few years, to when I first went to a game, there was a very well-run supporters travel club. A great way to bring our club to new fans.

That and there is the shambles that is Weymouth football club, genuinely been so badly run they get the occasional mention alongside the likes of PFC. You find a good few choose to support Bournemouth, ourselves or the occasional London club (v rare to meet a Portsmouth fan!).

Just a side note on Poole - despite the relatively decent potential for a football club the presence of numerous teams around the same level in the area and Bournemouth being literally on their doorstep Poole lacks one side to get behind, hence the locals often look elsewhere. For many choosing Bournemouth just is not an option. (many reasons including the whole Bournemouth moving counties issue).

Hope that helps a little!

• 8 months later...