Peaches Geldoff dies

Batman

• 4 weeks later...
That's right. She deserved to die. It's black and white.

You're a qxnt.

What if her 11 month old child had died as no one was able to look after her when she decided to abdicate her parental responsibilities and take heroin? Frankly with child protection issues it is fairly black and white to me. Seen too many horrendous cases first hand where children have been destroyed because of the selfishness of the parents. Take heroin when children are in your care and you don't deserve to be called a mother.

Edited by hypochondriac

What if her 11 month old child had died as no one was able to look after her when she decided to abdicate her parental responsibilities and take heroin? Frankly with child protection issues it is fairly black and white to me. Seen too many horrendous cases first hand where children have been destroyed because of the selfishness of the parents. Take heroin when children are in your care and you don't deserve to be called a mother.

Don't know what job you do but hope it isn't in care work you judgmental compassionless pr1ck.

So you condone taking heroin in front of your kids? She chose to be a parent knowing what happened to her as a child. Selfish totally selfish.

Exactly. Thank goodness the child wasn't injured and a small mercy is that her children are still so young that they won't remember or be affected much by her actions. Does make you wonder if other members of her family knew about her drug problem yet let her look after the children anyway. You would hope they had more sense than that.

Firstly, this is not confirmed yet, so perhaps some of these judgements are a little premature.

Secondly, whilst I am sure no one 'condones' taking heroin (full stop, let alone in front of children), I do not think making judgements about her deserving to die are particularly helpful or welcome. Any loss of life in that way, and the way it affects others, is a tragedy and more needs to be done to understand why people feel the need to take such a route, if indeed that is what happened.

Humans are fallable, all of us, and IMO to judge others so finally with so little understanding or compassion for the situation nor any interest in improving it for others' sake, is another nail in the coffin of our race. That may sound OTT, but without tolerance and understanding and a desire to learn from tragic events such as these, all we're left with is an assumption that we should all be robots, living and acting perfectly and according to the manual we're all given when we're born.

Firstly, this is not confirmed yet, so perhaps some of these judgements are a little premature.

Secondly, whilst I am sure no one 'condones' taking heroin (full stop, let alone in front of children), I do not think making judgements about her deserving to die are particularly helpful or welcome. Any loss of life in that way, and the way it affects others, is a tragedy and more needs to be done to understand why people feel the need to take such a route, if indeed that is what happened.

Humans are fallable, all of us, and IMO to judge others so finally with so little understanding or compassion for the situation nor any interest in improving it for others' sake, is another nail in the coffin of our race. That may sound OTT, but without tolerance and understanding and a desire to learn from tragic events such as these, all we're left with is an assumption that we should all be robots, living and acting perfectly and according to the manual we're all given when we're born.

Well said, Minty.

Well said Minty, and point taken.

But surely this young lady should have learned from her own tragic mother, that the path that she was treading was not the correct one.

Either way - RIP Peaches.

I understand the point that not everyone is perfect, I would just say there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. I recognise that everyone has faults, I just don't think someone taking heroin when in charge of their children can be easily dismissed with a 'we are all imperfect' or 'it could happen to anyone. '

Yes minty you are right. Humans are fallable. I have mentioned in the past on here rhat I have been in some pretty dark places in the past. As a parent of 2 beautiful innocent little boys who I have chose to bring into this world it is my responsibility to get help in the right place. I have seen the fallout depression can cause and the stigma surrounding it but there is so much help out there now.

Peqches had a choice and she went down thw road she did. Those kids had no choice and now have no mum.

But surely this young lady should have learned from her own tragic mother, that the path that she was treading was not the correct one.

Either way - RIP Peaches.

In an ideal world, absolutely, but that's my point, it's not an ideal world. NONE of us can say we always do what we 'should' have done - we're all led by temptation/emotion/peer pressure or other influences in our lives at some point - quite regularly infact. Most of the time there are no consequences, usually thanks to luck rather than judgement.

The young manager of the newsagent I used to do a paper-round at was killed when he took a corner too fast and drifted to the other side of the road, hitting another car head on, and bursting into flames. I was 15 and I remember it vividly. When I first passed my test I drove like an idiot at times. Not always, but there were times I overtook when I shouldn't etc, and avoided a few accidents purely by luck and timing. 'Surely' I should've known better?

In an ideal world, absolutely, but that's my point, it's not an ideal world. NONE of us can say we always do what we 'should' have done - we're all led by temptation/emotion/peer pressure or other influences in our lives at some point - quite regularly infact. Most of the time there are no consequences, usually thanks to luck rather than judgement.

The young manager of the newsagent I used to do a paper-round at was killed when he took a corner too fast and drifted to the other side of the road, hitting another car head on, and bursting into flames. I was 15 and I remember it vividly. When I first passed my test I drove like an idiot at times. Not always, but there were times I overtook when I shouldn't etc, and avoided a few accidents purely by luck and timing. 'Surely' I should've known better?

But minty where do you draw the line? If someone goes out and murders someone or molests a bunch of people do we just say well none of us always do what we should have done? For me taking heroin when in charge of a child is crossing the line and isn't simply something that everyone would do in the right circumstances. It is inexcusable.

I understand the point that not everyone is perfect, I would just say there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. I recognise that everyone has faults, I just don't think someone taking heroin when in charge of their children can be easily dismissed with a 'we are all imperfect' or 'it could happen to anyone. '

I certainly don't think it could happen to anyone. But it does happen to some people. And we need to try and understand why. We would think that no rational thinking parent would willingly put their children at risk, but it happens. Some parents murder their kids... how on earth can anyone fathom that one out?

Let me be clear, I'm not saying Peaches is innocent (if this is true) and it certainly shouldn't be 'dismissed' at all, I never said that - but we must continue to try to learn why these things happen to help prevent them in the future.

But minty where do you draw the line? If someone goes out and murders someone or molests a bunch of people do we just say well none of us always do what we should have done? For me taking heroin when in charge of a child is crossing the line and isn't simply something that everyone would do in the right circumstances. It is inexcusable.

Again, I'm not saying to dismiss it or ignore it, quite the opposite, we need to try and understand why it happens. If she hadn't died, she should quite rightly face punishment for it, if it is true. No arguments there. But punishment alone won't stop someone else potentially doing the same.

The thing is though, Hypo, PG didn’t murder or molest anyone; she allegedly died from a drugs overdose – deliberately or otherwise. If this turns out to be the case, she will be roundly condemned; only a fool would condone such behaviour. However, how many of those condemners will have, at some time or other, tucked their kids up in bed, then gone down-stairs and got sloshed on a couple of bottles of wine, or have done something similarly irresponsible?

Also, anyone who has suffered from addiction, or from mental health issues, or has seen people close to them suffering from these things, will know that these things are never clear-cut. Yes, there’s help available, but sudden relapses can occur, seemingly out of the blue, sometimes with tragic consequences.

Again, I'm not saying to dismiss it or ignore it, quite the opposite, we need to try and understand why it happens. If she hadn't died, she should quite rightly face punishment for it, if it is true. No arguments there. But punishment alone won't stop someone else potentially doing the same.

either a parent takes up heroin or a heroin user procreates.

by al accounts it is the latter in this case.

The thing is though, Hypo, PG didn’t murder or molest anyone; she allegedly died from a drugs overdose – deliberately or otherwise. If this turns out to be the case, she will be roundly condemned; only a fool would condone such behaviour. However, how many of those condemners will have, at some time or other, tucked their kids up in bed, then gone down-stairs and got sloshed on a couple of bottles of wine, or have done something similarly irresponsible?

Also, anyone who has suffered from addiction, or from mental health issues, or has seen people close to them suffering from these things, will know that these things are never clear-cut. Yes, there’s help available, but sudden relapses can occur, seemingly out of the blue, sometimes with tragic consequences.

Not I, not ever.

I have never done that. When in charge of children I have always been capable of looking after them. Anyone who has done that should be widely condemned and their capability of being a parent should be seriously called into question.

Not I, not ever.

I have never done that. When in charge of children I have always been capable of looking after them. Anyone who has done that should be widely condemned and their capability of being a parent should be seriously called into question.

I don't think we need to go through everyone who has commented on the thread to check just how perfect they are or are not. This has happened to Peaches and her family/children, and it happens to other people, rich and poor, famous and not, old and young. Condemning those who have done it is the easy part... what then? For the sake of potential future victims, there needs to be more work done to understand why it happens. What goes on in their head? How does it come to this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26931337

Unexpected to say the least.

To be clear, people are actually surprised that she died of a drug overdose? WOW! It was the very first thing I said when hearing it on the radio.

That lass had every opportunity in life, but instead took after her drugged up parents and selfishly left her kids and (druggy) husband with no mother or wife.

Never speak ill of the dead, fine... but the only person I have sympathy for are the children.

That lass had every opportunity in life, but instead took after her drugged up parents and selfishly left her kids and (druggy) husband with no mother or wife.

You contradicted yourself in one short sentence. What she didnt have was parents who gave her a stable home but instead exposed her to a chaotic druggy lifestyle. She had a mum who preferred heroin and Michael Hutchence to being at home with her. You have "sympathy for the children" but not sympathy for her who had the same childhood.

Tomorrow night, parents will go to the pub or the dinner party, leaving their kids with the baby-sitter, spend the evening discussing what a wicked mother PG was, and how irresponsible mothers like her should never be allowed to have children. They will come home, pay-off the baby-sitter, and slump off to their beds.

Maybe they won’t be sloshed, maybe they will only have had a couple of drinks, but even that amount will be enough to impair their judgement, to make them sleep more soundly than usual, perhaps soundly enough not to wake up when a sick child calls out for them.

Granted it’s not on the same scale of irresponsibility as a mother in charge of her child allegedly overdosing on heroin, but it’s irresponsible nonetheless. Where exactly do you draw the line?

Tomorrow night, parents will go to the pub or the dinner party, leaving their kids with the baby-sitter, spend the evening discussing what a wicked mother PG was, and how irresponsible mothers like her should never be allowed to have children. They will come home, pay-off the baby-sitter, and slump off to their beds.

Maybe they won’t be sloshed, maybe they will only have had a couple of drinks, but even that amount will be enough to impair their judgement, to make them sleep more soundly than usual, perhaps soundly enough not to wake up when a sick child calls out for them.

Granted it’s not on the same scale of irresponsibility as a mother in charge of her child allegedly overdosing on heroin, but it’s irresponsible nonetheless. Where exactly do you draw the line?

For me the line is somewhere between having a couple of drinks (both parents being sloshed as you put it is still highly irresponsible imo) and taking heroin. Where exactly that line falls is up for debate.

You contradicted yourself in one short sentence. What she didnt have was parents who gave her a stable home but instead exposed her to a chaotic druggy lifestyle. She had a mum who preferred heroin and Michael Hutchence to being at home with her. You have "sympathy for the children" but not sympathy for her who had the same childhood.

I heard Ted Bundy had terrible parents who gave him a rubbish childhood. He has my deepest sympathies xxx

I heard Ted Bundy had terrible parents who gave him a rubbish childhood. He has my deepest sympathies xxx

Whats your point Hypo? Does having a druggy dysfunctional upbringing leave lasting damage on a child or not? If not why are you so concerned? If it does is it not hypocritical to be judgemental?

For me the line is somewhere between having a couple of drinks (both parents being sloshed as you put it is still highly irresponsible imo) and taking heroin. Where exactly that line falls is up for debate.

Cheers. I’m sure all parents relaxing with a couple of drinks tonight will be pleased to know they aren’t breaching the hypo ‘scum’ line.

Whats your point Hypo? Does having a druggy dysfunctional upbringing leave lasting damage on a child or not? If not why are you so concerned? If it does is it not hypocritical to be judgemental?

My point is that the excuse of a dysfunctional upbringing only goes so far. Do we absolve everyone of their crimes if they have had a poor upbringing?

Cheers. I’m sure all parents relaxing with a couple of drinks tonight will be pleased to know they aren’t breaching the hypo ‘scum’ line.

Err I said that in my opinion there was nothing wrong with having a couple of drinks. My problem was with the word 'sloshed'. What is meant by that? I am sure everyone knows when they are able to safely look after a child and when they are not. Having a pint or two is in general unlikely to make you a danger or reduce your ability to keep a child safe. Getting drunk to the point where you can't look after people in your car is disgusting again imo.

Edited by hypochondriac

Err I said that in my opinion there was nothing wrong with having a couple of drinks. My problem was with the word 'sloshed'. What is meant by that? I am sure everyone knows when they are able to safely look after a child and when they are not. Having a pint or two is in general unlikely to make you a danger or reduce your ability to keep a child safe. Getting drunk to the point where you can't look after people in your car is disgusting again imo.

And my 'problem' is that a young woman has died – still nobody seems to know for certain how – but you have already seen fit to bandy around phrases such as ‘scum’ and ‘good riddance’. You won’t be the only one to do so; whilst this might not make you a hypocrite, IMO, it certainly will others.

Look, I appreciate that your business is running nurseries or similar childcare establishments, so I can well understand why you put kids first in these situations, and you are right to do so. I also know, like you do, that some kids have very irresponsible and uncaring parents… and worse. But you don’t know whether or not that was the case with PG.

I’ve got no problem with moral crusades to safeguard kids from irresponsible parenting, but first you need to establish the levels of irresponsibility beyond which you’re going to protect, and even you seem a bit woolly as to where to draw the line – somewhere between a couple of drinks and being sloshed, is it? Personally, I think there’s a good argument for saying that those responsible for looking after young children should not drink at all.

Yes, PG was highly irresponsible; she let down herself, her family and, most importantly, her kids. Probably, no one will ever be certain what drove her to act in that way, but I bet you’ll never find her kids or the rest of her family using phrases such as ‘scum’ and ‘good riddance’ to describe her. I would imagine they might try to comprehend what has happened with a little more compassion, empathy and understanding.

Some people just get addicted to stuff easier than others, I have every sympathy for her and her family. I don't see her as privileged at all, she's wealthy yes, but anyone who loses their mother at the age of 11 is bound to be a bit f*cked up.

I struggle to have any sympathy with any smackhead. I do, however, have the utmost sympathy with those left behind to pick up the pieces.

I am sure her children will really appreciate the sympathetic sentiment and not that they will ever see but no doubt would be charmed hearing you refer to their mum as a smackhead.

Some real nasty bits of work on this forum.

She was a very rich child that had a great deal of benefits that many of is can dream of

Like access to unlimited amounts of heroin it seems

Tragic for her family but a young mother who is a heroin user does not deserve kids and kids will do better off without her

I am sure her children will really appreciate the sympathetic sentiment and not that they will ever see but no doubt would be charmed hearing you refer to their mum as a smackhead.

Some real nasty bits of work on this forum.

Heron users are called smackheads. Always have been. Always will be. Deal with that fact and move on.

Heron users are called smackheads. Always have been. Always will be. Deal with that fact and move on.

I don't feel I need to deal with the fact but just surprised how many uncaring unsympathetic sorts make up this forum.

Anyway I shouldn't really be surprised as only thing we have in common is our football club but would be shocked if any of my friends spewed this sort of hate although sure people won't even see it as that as they are morally upright, pillars of society who would never take drugs and have their lives so together and would never succumb to an addiction as that would mean you were weak. Lthough suspect also very repressed and have little actual joy in live.