Man City 4-1 Saints - Post-match reaction

Minty

Things just didn't go our way today, but I'm proud of the first half performance. As good a passing display as I've seen all season. No end product but felt it would have come had City not scored again.

I was very impressed by them second half. Demichelis and Kompany were rock solid and their width is remarkable. With Toure and those full backs they can run at you from any point on the pitch, but they knew where our weaknesses were. Today it was down the left as Chambers was lacking cover.

Gutted for Jay. Early sounds are that he might miss the World Cup, which would be miserable after the season he's had. Poor lad.

Boruc back next week and we march on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DuncanRG

It was still a penalty regardless of the City player dropping to the floor easily. No idea what Fonte was thinking.

He does still have a few brain farts in him, doesn't he? Makes some rather odd calls sometimes. Still think we need to replace him in time if we're serious about progression.

I actually think Foy had a good game. Got both the penalty decisions correct IMO.

Maybe you've heard too many commentators saying that contact plus falling down = penalty. That is not what the laws of the game say. Fonte lifted his foot, but he didn't actually commit a foul and anywhere else on the pitch, play would have gone on. Being in the area makes no difference if a foul is not committed.

He does still have a few brain farts in him, doesn't he? Makes some rather odd calls sometimes. Still think we need to replace him in time if we're serious about progression.

If we're talking about the difference between 8th (hopefully) and moving into the top 5, then yes, we need to replace him as first choice. He'd still be an excellent squad player.

Yes Fonte is getting less and less reliable, there was absloutely no need for his gesture, ball would have probably run out, still I guess Gazza made him jumpy and he thought that he just had to do something.

Maybe you've heard too many commentators saying that contact plus falling down = penalty. That is not what the laws of the game say. Fonte lifted his foot, but he didn't actually commit a foul and anywhere else on the pitch, play would have gone on. Being in the area makes no difference if a foul is not committed.

Thing is, in real time, if you see a leg go across the path of a player like that, who then goes down, it is not hard to see it as a foul. I have no complaints about either the decision or about Foy in general today.

If we're talking about the difference between 8th (hopefully) and moving into the top 5, then yes, we need to replace him as first choice. He'd still be an excellent squad player.

Oh totally, not suggesting we sack him off! He's another position we can evolve, replace him with better quality for him to then become the backup - the way to build a very strong squad.

Yes Fonte is getting less and less reliable, there was absloutely no need for his gesture, ball would have probably run out, still I guess Gazza made him jumpy and he thought that he just had to do something.

Yep, if we're going to continue our progress and improvement, then we need to replace Fonte. He's a decent CB but he is sometimes too casual, loses concentration and makes the wrong decisions sometimes, which usually lead to a serious mistake every other game.

We need a keeper to challenge or replace Boruc, a CB and a striker with pace. Keeping our stars would be nice too!

It was the intent. Fonte deliberately stuck his leg out to try and impede the player, therefore it is a foul by the laws of the game. Doesn't matter how much or how little contact there actually was.

Fonte was completely at fault for giving the ref a decision to make.

I just don't understand how that offside can not be given. In real time with one view it was completely obvious. Back four in a flat line, linesman well positioned, Silva about five yards offside.

It's unbelievable!

The only explanation is that the linesman didn't realise Dzeko had flicked it on but Got should have seen something was clearly wrong and spoken with him.

Pathetic.

Shame Lallana couldn't control one of Lambert's passes in the first half.

I think our defence went to sleep a bit in the second half . Citedh were quick to exploit the open spaces when we lost the ball to easily when we were attacking .

There were a lot of key moments in that game we can point to . Bit losing JR was the moment we lost our shape and our concentration

Still Newcastle are losing

It was the intent. Fonte deliberately stuck his leg out to try and impede the player, therefore it is a foul by the laws of the game. Doesn't matter how much or how little contact there actually was.

Fonte was completely at fault for giving the ref a decision to make.

I disagree. 'Attempt to trip'? Not a chance. If you gave that on a Sunday morning you'd be lucky to escape with all your teeth.

I’m truly gutted – not just because of the result and the shocking offside decision, but mainly because of JRod’s injury.

Over recent weeks, I’ve become increasingly confident that Hodgson might actually pick all three of our attacking players, not just because of their effectiveness as individuals, but because of the way they play for each other and their general camaraderie. IMO, if JRod, RL and AL had carried on playing like they’ve done in recent weeks then there was a chance of all three going to Brazil. Now, even if the injury isn’t as bad as feared, it’s likely JRod will miss quite a few of our remaining matches, so, for me, his World Cup chances are probably over. Desperately hope I’m wrong.

Clyne is better than chambers!

True , but you would expect him to be given he is several seasons ahead. The thing I love about the way we are trying to do things is that second half we have FOUR teenagers on the pitch away at City... Great stuff. Am proud of our lads today despite the result.

As for Gazza, not sure why he should get so so much stick. He is young virtually no experience at this level and may or may not come good... A certain few 'famous' posters on here are quoted a a say Lallana will never be good enough....

I actually think Foy had a good game. Got both the penalty decisions correct IMO.

From what I saw, (last 10 mins of 1st half onwards,) I'd agree. Credit to him for booking Toure for diving in the box, but I also agree with MP that the abysmal offside "goal" should have been countermanded by Foy even if the lino couldn't see it, it was that blatant. And he's right, it did alter the entire dynamic of the game, at that stage we looked the better side and had not long equalised.

One other thing, credit where its due to the Citeh crowd for clapping Jay off the pitch. We heard it on Solent in the van, sounded like the whole stadium was applauding him as he was carried off and the taters said there was a complete standing ovation? Respect to them for that.

I’m truly gutted – not just because of the result and the shocking offside decision, but mainly because of JRod’s injury.

Over recent weeks, I’ve become increasingly confident that Hodgson might actually pick all three of our attacking players, not just because of their effectiveness as individuals, but because of the way they play for each other and their general camaraderie. IMO, if JRod, RL and AL had carried on playing like they’ve done in recent weeks then there was a chance of all three going to Brazil. Now, even if the injury isn’t as bad as feared, it’s likely JRod will miss quite a few of our remaining matches, so, for me, his World Cup chances are probably over. Desperately hope I’m wrong.

:ikewise, totally gutted for the lad - seems serious, but hopefully not

I disagree. 'Attempt to trip'? Not a chance. If you gave that on a Sunday morning you'd be lucky to escape with all your teeth.

I don't care whether you agree or not. It's in the rules...

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be

careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own

penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred

(see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by

a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,

provided it is in play.

Second goal ruined that game.

Gazzaniga should never play for this club again.

He isn't good enough (hardly his fault) but with a first and second choice keepers out the lad was all we had ( or possibly have for the rest of the season) better to support him until we get a (hopefully) new keeper in the summer.

It was a good performance in that first half, but once again we're killed by the lack of depth in our squad - and big sides like City will just exploit that for fun. I still believe that if we have a full 11 to choose from, who are on form and fit...then we're a match for anyone, but the reality is that it's not possible to keep that going over the course of the year.

To progress this squad we need to keep together what we have, and evolve the CB, GK and ST positions further so we're not so hopelessly out of our depth when we get just a few knocks. It will be an interesting summer, that's for sure.

Spot on assessment

the FA can't fine me for saying this, but don't you think that some referees are " homers " and don't give the obvious in case they don't get out of the stadium ......" unscathed ".

the whole idea of having goal-line cameras is almost worthless when you see things like this happen almost every week. The SKY commentators are better placed to judge these decisions than the " officials ",

..........and you, me and a few million others can see that and it seems.....everyone except Sepp Blatter.

Edited by david in sweden

I knew we would lose when the team news came through. Why? Because Fonte is so dependant on Lovren and Boruc that when the latter is not in place, the central defensive balance is severely disrupted and Fonte effectively becomes half the player he can be. Gazza has no choice but to step up to the plate - it's the club's fault for not strengthening this position last summer as Davis is too old (and not good enough) to rely on. GK is not a position you can give to a youngster in the Prem when the CB pairing is flawed.

The rest of the team had a good game - matched City for long periods. Some of the City players should be ashamed of their cheating actions, but Fonte gave away a valid pen - stupid, stupid decision making by him once again. Lambert tired a lot towards the end of the game - Gallagher has yet to demonstrate the type of footballing brain that will make him a replacement for Lambert or indeed a real Prem threat.

Last, but not least - as pointed out many times already - the horrendously poor lino decision not to give offside for the their 2nd was a game changer - that was the difference between the teams at that point and the lino may as well have run on the pitch as 12th man and scored the goal himself. Should be sent back to L2.

Thought Lallana again for touch, technique and passing was one of the best on the pitch despite the opposition. Just an unbelievable player. With JRod still on we could have really caused them some damage.

Lack of subs is annoying but can we really moan and demand signings with no regard for finances?

Thought was one of Adams poorer games. Rickie was better for me today.

Gutted, that could've been a great chance for an upset on another day. My heart sank when I saw Boruc was out though.

- stupid that someone as incapable as Gazzaniga was our best option in this day and age (although I suspect Cropper would be a better shout. Or Guly)

- stupid kick-out from Fonte. If he doesn't swing his leg like that, Dzeko probably gets booked for diving.

- unbelievable that the officials miss an offside as obvious as that.

- Chambers caught out of position too many times today.

- Yaya Toure is a disgrace sometimes. Diving, cheating, whinging. He's world class on his day but is a right c*nt when things aren't going his way. Cork & Schneiderlin kept him quiet again.

Yep, if we're going to continue our progress and improvement, then we need to replace Fonte. He's a decent CB but he is sometimes too casual, loses concentration and makes the wrong decisions sometimes, which usually lead to a serious mistake every other game.

We need a keeper to challenge or replace Boruc, a CB and a striker with pace. Keeping our stars would be nice too!

I fully agree.

Sad thing about Gazza is that he made a couple of excellent saves too. I dont think he is up to it, but it was him or Cropper so understand why he started.

Think Clyne needs to come back. I kno wit was Man City, but thought Chambers had his worst game for us. Fonte was silly raising his leg for the pen so it was a fair call IMHO.

Toure, what a c n u t! That dive was a disgrace!

Not sure who can replace Jay Rod? Jono Quick???

Sad thing about Gazza is that he made a couple of excellent saves too. I dont think he is up to it, but it was him or Cropper so understand why he started.

Think Clyne needs to come back. I kno wit was Man City, but thought Chambers had his worst game for us. Fonte was silly raising his leg for the pen so it was a fair call IMHO.

Toure, what a c n u t! That dive was a disgrace!

Not sure who can replace Jay Rod? Jono Quick???

Recall Mayuka?

One of our toughest 3 games of the season.

Did OK in the first half after the perennial brain fart from Fonte

Overall result not worse than expected/feared especially considering losing our GK before the game and having the known issue of no decent back-up

Newcastle couldnt capitalise and in fact went backwards in terms of GD. 8th place still a real chance.

Stoke couldnt capitalise.

Therefore I am fairly laid-back at the result. Only downers were J-Rods injury (obviously). Hopefully after the swelling goes down we will learn its not as bad as feared. And the fact that 7th is no longer a consideration, imo.

They're Laws, not rules.

Purely semantics.

If you think that was an attempt to trip then you're in the wrong sport. (There's no need to quote the Laws to a qualified referee :))

Which is why I also highlighted the 'kicks or attempts to kick an opponent' bit as well. ;)

Talk about Fonte but I'm a bit worried with the ease at which Lovren becomes a passenger in a not-so-good team performance, and sometimes in other games.

He seems fearful after his injury and clearly will not engage as actively as Fonte in tackles and defensive pressure situations, leaving Jose incredibly exposed.

But of course, Fonte is always the odd one out. Having a starting CB and vice-captain signed from those peasants Crystal Palace for 1m is insulting in our new superstar project. The only member of our back 4 that has not been replaced in the past 5 years, but hey we fans know better...

I'm also shocked at sense of entitlement that some of our fans have after 5 years of continuous improvement. Have you forgotten who we were for most of the last 25 years, and where we've come from??

Talk about Fonte but I'm a bit worried with the ease at which Lovren becomes a passenger in a not-so-good team performance, and sometimes in other games.

He seems fearful after his injury and clearly will not engage as actively as Fonte in tackles and defensive pressure situations, leaving Jose incredibly exposed.

But of course, Fonte is always the odd one out. Having a starting CB and vice-captain signed from those peasants Crystal Palace for 1m is insulting in our new superstar project. The only member of our back 4 that has not been replaced in the past 5 years, but hey we fans know better...

I'm also shocked at the sense of entitlement that some of our fans have after 5 years of continuous improvement. Have you forgotten who we were for most of the last 25 years, and where we've come from??