Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

Saint Charlie, the strange fascination you seem to think people have with your posts is immense repulsion at the crap comments you're making. You post a piece of reasonable information but then add comments based on your negative agenda that really have others cringing that you can't help yourself. Where is the Saint Charlie whose posts used to delight and inspire.?

If that was us it'd be amazing! Tadic, Aurier, Pelle +£30m to replace Lallana, Shaw and Lambert would be utterly incredible business...

Apart from Aurier's a right back. And that's arguably one of our strongest positions at the moment.

Interesting comments here from Fonte about the need for new players. Nothing particularly new here, but the way he says it, it's clear that they're expecting more signings just as we are:

[video=youtube_share;39-N4gWI0-M]

Saint Charlie, the strange fascination you seem to think people have with your posts is immense repulsion at the crap comments you're making. You post a piece of reasonable information but then add comments based on your negative agenda that really have others cringing that you can't help yourself. Where is the Saint Charlie whose posts used to delight and inspire.?

I'm trying to cut the crap out, but I admit I am finding it hard. :(

Bear with me. On the surface, I don't have any issues with the Board, but deep down I have suppressed feelings of anger about the way the early part of the summer happened, and some of the woeful public statements that were made.

Slowly they are winning me over (since Ralph disappeared mostly) so hopefully if this upward trajectory continues then my heyday posts may resurface.

However, if RK does any more terrible Solent/SSN interviews then I would place me on ignore (if you haven't already).

Edited by Saint Charlie

Royston Drenthe? Yes, not regarded by Reading, but Dutch! ;)

[h=3]4:43[/h]

Reading have decided not to assign a squad number to former Holland winger Royston Drenthe. The 27-year-old penned a two-year deal with the Royals when he moved from Alania Vladikavkaz last summer but now appears to be surplus to requirements under Nigel Adkins.

I'm trying to cut the crap out, but I admit I am finding it hard. :(

Bear with me. On the surface, I don't have any issues with the Board, but deep down I have suppressed feelings of anger about the way the early part of the summer happened, and some of the woeful public statements that were made.

Slowly they are winning me over (since Ralph disappeared mostly) so hopefully if this upward trajectory continues then my heyday posts may resurface.

However, if RK does any more terrible Solent/SSN interviews then I would place me on ignore (if you haven't already).

I dont think anyone is happy with what happened earlier on. I have some sympathy for KL and the Board. They were clearly blindsided by Pochettino and the behaviour of Lallana and Lovren wasnt helpful. The media of course having smelt blood had a field day and added more petrol to the fire.

It has been a torrid time but the Board pulled off a major coup by getting Koeman and all the indications are that we are looking to replace any leavers with quality.

It wasnt the preseason we expected but it many respects the enforced changes have ramped things up. We will be hoping that Ronald can take things on further and that our old manager will get sacked!

Royston Drenthe? Yes, not regarded by Reading, but Dutch! ;)

[h=3]4:43[/h]

Reading have decided not to assign a squad number to former Holland winger Royston Drenthe. The 27-year-old penned a two-year deal with the Royals when he moved from Alania Vladikavkaz last summer but now appears to be surplus to requirements under Nigel Adkins.

If he aint good enough for Reading he certainly aint good enough for us

Coutinho to Saints is the latest twitter rumour, can't see it but some sort of player + cash deal for Lovren could be a possibility

..this would sound a bit strange, as Coutinho was on Pochettino's wish list a year ago, but he missed getting him and the player chose to go to L'pool. If he were to go anywhere ..might it not be to Spurs ?

..this would sound a bit strange, as Coutinho was on Pochettino's wish list a year ago, but he missed getting him and the player chose to go to L'pool. If he were to go anywhere ..might it not be to Spurs ?

Unless it was our scouts that actually was you as a good fit, and Pochettino was just told to go in for him by Cortese. :eek:

i see the media are back to Saints bashing again to sell their papers with 5 players linked with moves away Chambers, J Rod , Morgan , Lovren and Fonte.

I would put a £25 million price on J Rod that should deter Liverpool and Spuds

£20 million for Chambers would deter Arsenal

£25 million for Morgan and £25 million for Lovren

With Fonte get him to sign a new contract

Or our board just come out and say no one else is for sale whatever the price.

Would be good to hear from the itk's whether we are close to bringing a couple more signings in

Still a difference in class between a Real Madrid player, starting for the strongest German team in 30 years and a Southampton player on the bench for the sh*ttest England team in at least 20 years.

We got good prices for everyone we've sold so far.

Think we've had '****ter teams' (squads) before. 2000? 2010? 2012? We just don't have the right manager. He has no Balls! It doesn't work for him in big jobs, look at what he did at Liverpool. A manager with balls would of dropped Rooney by now and Persuaded Terry (and the F.A) for him to come back. IMO

Still a difference in class between a Real Madrid player, starting for the strongest German team in 30 years and a Southampton player on the bench for the sh*ttest England team in at least 20 years.

We got good prices for everyone we've sold so far.

Oh yeah and Lallana should of started every game over Welbeck. #RoyOut

That wasn't even the worst england team in the last 2 years.

People love to obsess over prices but it's utterly futile. Every deal is different, every club will accept different terms, every player, agent. It depends on their age, position, nationality, fitness, contract, club's desire to hold on to them, club's desire to get a good price, competition for signature, preferred option for the player and so on.

If you can get all the factors exactly the same for 2 players, then you can compare transfer fees. But every single day seeing 'oh my god player 1 has gone for £x but player 2 went for £y!!!'.

You can make 99% of deals look good or bad by choosing different players. If Lallana and Shaw do well then their fees are fine, maybe even bargains. If they are poor then they've overpaid. But compared to Carroll they haven't. But compared to Sturridge they have. Chelsea overpaid for Torres, but he did help them win the champions league. I'd bet abramovic would have taken a £50m hit for that. yet all strikers seem good value in comparison. now mccormack goes for 11m, which is apparently awful value, yet if he gets them up they make that money back many times over. and it looks good value compared to mitroglu.

All that tells us is judge the players on their own terms and deals.

Agree. Good post

Think we've had '****ter teams' (squads) before. 2000? 2010? 2012? We just don't have the right manager. He has no Balls! It doesn't work for him in big jobs, look at what he did at Liverpool. A manager with balls would of dropped Rooney by now and Persuaded Terry (and the F.A) for him to come back. IMO

2000? We had Beckham, Scholes, Shearer, Owen, Neville, Adams and Campbell in that squad, to name but a few.

When I said the weakest squad, I meant over the last couple of years but now in particular we have a ridiculous lack of quality. The fact that a lump like Carroll can score 2 goals last season and be on the reserve list for the World Cup says it all. Not to mention players like Cleverly and Smalling getting in or near the squad.

Anyway, back to my point I would swap Adam Lallana for a world class player like Khedira for in a flash.

Edited by Lighthouse

That wasn't even the worst england team in the last 2 years.

People love to obsess over prices but it's utterly futile. Every deal is different, every club will accept different terms, every player, agent. It depends on their age, position, nationality, fitness, contract, club's desire to hold on to them, club's desire to get a good price, competition for signature, preferred option for the player and so on.

If you can get all the factors exactly the same for 2 players, then you can compare transfer fees. But every single day seeing 'oh my god player 1 has gone for £x but player 2 went for £y!!!'.

You can make 99% of deals look good or bad by choosing different players. If Lallana and Shaw do well then their fees are fine, maybe even bargains. If they are poor then they've overpaid. But compared to Carroll they haven't. But compared to Sturridge they have. Chelsea overpaid for Torres, but he did help them win the champions league. I'd bet abramovic would have taken a £50m hit for that. yet all strikers seem good value in comparison. now mccormack goes for 11m, which is apparently awful value, yet if he gets them up they make that money back many times over. and it looks good value compared to mitroglu.

All that tells us is judge the players on their own terms and deals.

I never disagreed with any of that. IQ suggested that Lallana is worth more because he provides more goals and assists, I disagree and think Khedira is a better player and worth a bit more.

Like you said every deal is different. If someone lets Kenny Dalglish loose with a credit card, suddenly all the prices get doubled.

I never disagreed with any of that. IQ suggested that Lallana is worth more because he provides more goals and assists, I disagree and think Khedira is a better player and worth a bit more.

Like you said every deal is different. If someone lets Kenny Dalglish loose with a credit card, suddenly all the prices get doubled.

It is my opinion that in general clubs pay more for AMs that score and create goals rather than DMs that tackle, pass and intercept. I didn't say he is worth more I simply stated a reason why he went for more

See Connor Wickh has turned down a new contract at Sunderland.

I would not be adverse to him coming in if we are that interested - Plenty of time to develop the undoubted raw talent he has - he just needs to play for a manager who can engender self belief into his head!

I would not be adverse to him coming in if we are that interested - Plenty of time to develop the undoubted raw talent he has - he just needs to play for a manager who can engender self belief into his head!

Not sure it would say too much for Gallagher's development though.

Not sure it would say too much for Gallagher's development though.

I disagree with that.

I think that additional bit of competition will help young Gallagher's development - Towards the end of last season when he made the side, it was really only between him or Guly to play up top after Jay got injured and I just think he could have done better with somebody else breathing down his neck for the place.

I think people are hard on Gallagher. He's no Lambert yet but had brilliant games against Arsenal and Manchester IMO. A real talent for the future. Just needs that extra self belief that comes with experience (and a bit more quality around him) and he will shine. Big future.

I would not be adverse to him coming in if we are that interested - Plenty of time evelop the undoubted raw talent he has - he just needs to play for a manager who can engender self belief into his head!

Wickham appears more likely to score goals than Gallagher at the moment IMO. Sam needs to be playing more frequently and competitively to step up and a loan move to a lower league club would help.

Gallagher puts in a good shift and i also acknowledge that making your way as a striker in the Prem is as tough as it comes, but for me, he isn't in the class of a Shaw, Chambers, JWP and from the glimpses we have seen, Reed either.

Would love for him to step up, but i think he needs to show a rapid development in the next season or two or he will be moved on.

I think people are hard on Gallagher. He's no Lambert yet but had brilliant games against Arsenal and Manchester IMO. A real talent for the future. Just needs that extra self belief that comes with experience (and a bit more quality around him) and he will shine. Big future.

I thought he had a good game vs Everton too. Wasn't afraid to get stuck in and put himself about a bit.

Really think people are expecting a lot of him, in football terms he's basically still in nappies. Not every player can be the best in the league in their position at 18.

I thought he had a good game vs Everton too. Wasn't afraid to get stuck in and put himself about a bit.

Really think people are expecting a lot of him, in football terms he's basically still in nappies. Not every player can be the best in the league in their position at 18.

He shows great raw talent but a lack of confidence and a footballing brain so.... basically what you'd expect from an 18 year old striker. Looked the nuts against Arsenal.

He shows great raw talent but a lack of confidence and a footballing brain so.... basically what you'd expect from an 18 year old striker. Looked the nuts against Arsenal.

I agree.

He isn't ready to start week in week out at the moment, that's fine. He probably wouldn't have been playing last season if Ossie had been a prat/JRod got injured/we got in the target MP alluded to (was it post Arsenal). But, I feel he did ok and the experience will most likely do him good.

I've seen nothing to suggest there isn't a good player in there. Heck if he was that awful MP could have played JRod up top (v Arsenal) and stuck in an extra midfielder. He probably has a better idea than any of us.

He'll come on now Pelle is in the camp. I think Pelle's experience will rub-off on Gallagher, plus they are a similar build with similar strengths so I'm sure they will be ultra competitive on the training pitch (young buck vs old fart) which always leads to good things.

Anyone criticising Gallagher needs to remember he played really well on full debut v Arsenal albeit should have scored. He was destined at that point to really kick on and progress and gain invaluable experience for remainder of the season. However this 18 year old lad then tragically lost his father. I dont think you will find many 18 year olds that would not find there world turned upside down. I've seen enough from him to think he has a great future ahead of him.

I disagree with that.

I think that additional bit of competition will help young Gallagher's development - Towards the end of last season when he made the side, it was really only between him or Guly to play up top after Jay got injured and I just think he could have done better with somebody else breathing down his neck for the place.

Perhaps. But we'd also have three target men on our books when perhaps we should be looking at forwards who provide different options. Apart from Wickham`s decent end to last season, he hasn't progressed much at all since being signed for Sunderland. I guess I'd be disappointed if Gallagher was only at Wickham`s level by the time he was 21 so why not just give Gallagher more chances, as opposed to filling up the squad with strikers who have similar qualities, albeit of different ages.