Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

When is Benteke's contract up? I can't think of any other reason why Villa would sell their prized asset on the cheap.

Did he sign a new contract last summer? I thought they gave him a new deal to placate him when he put in a transfer request?

I may be wide of the mark on this though.

Good. I'm not going bonkers. Extension until 2017 signed last summer :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23383683

Erm you may have missed it but they have already signed Senderos and Joe Cole this window. They won't be anywhere near relegation with signings of that calibre.

Not to mention bringing in that nice Roy Keane to enhance dressing room harmony.

Thanks KRG. To net Benteke we'd have to pay top dollar and if he is out till January we wont see much from him until March - now I'm not a Dragon but I think I'd be Out at this point.

On top of that, he is technically awful - his pace and power are undeniably effective but i've seen him have several absolute howlers where he couldn't hit a barn door.

Case in point - Aston Villa away, 12/13 season (the one where Jay Rod dived for the penalty). He had probably 5 or 6 good chances to bury us when it was 0-0 as we never looked like scoring, and he put them anywhere except on target. The one that sticks in my mind is when he had a pretty simple tap-in as Boruc was on his ar5e at the time, and he put it high and wide over the bar. Ask a Villa fan and they'll tell you he blows very hot and cold, not the kind of player we need imo.

On top of that, he is technically awful - his pace and power are undeniably effective but i've seen him have several absolute howlers where he couldn't hit a barn door.

Case in point - Aston Villa away, 12/13 season (the one where Jay Rod dived for the penalty). He had probably 5 or 6 good chances to bury us when it was 0-0 as we never looked like scoring, and he put them anywhere except on target. The one that sticks in my mind is when he had a pretty simple tap-in as Boruc was on his ar5e at the time, and he put it high and wide over the bar. Ask a Villa fan and they'll tell you he blows very hot and cold, not the kind of player we need imo.

Agreed. I'd rather have Welbeck!

Thought he was excellent that game - yes he missed some howlers but had almost singlehandedly created all those chances himself. To borrow the old cliche, he had done all the hard work. Marginally prefer him to Lukaku.

Edited by shurlock

Thought he was excellent that game - yes he missed some howlers but had almost singlehandedly created all those chances himself. To borrow the old cliche, he had done all the hard work. Marginally prefer him to Lukaku.

True, he bossed our defence but when it came to putting the chances away he was useless. Wouldn't say he's a bad player, but not the kind we need. Our midfield creates a lot of chances, we need somebody to put them away!

It is possible for players to pass medicals even if they have existing injuries.

jesus mate, he is clearly saying that in jest. Im sure he is aware that all things are possible in football

you DONT have to correct everyone

jesus mate, he is clearly saying that in jest. Im sure he is aware that all things are possible in football

don't not DONT

"Don't", not "don't". Even though you are quoting, the first word should still have a capital letter, and maybe also the use of a comma.

I would have thought the emphasis would be on "you don't HAVE to correct everyone" too instead of the 'DONT'

Funny you should say that because I got told I was wrong a couple of weeks ago. I think MLG is well within his rights to say this:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50800-Koeman-starts-tomorrow-Not-a-moment-too-soon&p=1977532#post1977532

Agreed. I'd rather have Welbeck!

Id happily take either. But Im not getting hung up on what the general consensus is, Ive formulated my own opinion.

Bentekkers reminds me of a young Drogba, has all the attributes to make it except for experience, there genuinely is nothing wrong with his technique in similar ways to Welbeck and Lukaku, they all just need to hone their skills, know when to do things and when not to.

If we sign any of those three Ill be very happy, good luck getting anyone better IMO

They are certainly revamping their forward line (Emnes & Gomis)

What happened to them looking at signing that Dutch kid, Luc Castaignos?

Bid was accepted, but Swansea haven't taken it any further so far. Bit odd.

Didn't Monk say we were setting our sights higher than Pelle? Can't see that Wickham would be seen as being that by anyone's standards...

I don't recall him saying that. Did he not say it had stalled from our end and we were looking at other targets?

Anyone else a little concerned by the striker situation? Always felt we needed two since Lambert left, and two good ones at that. Such a key position, if the additions don't perform we will be in big trouble regardless of good players in other positions. Squad hugely lacks goals.

Still think we will get Pelle and are haggling with Feyenoord over a fee.

Anyone else a little concerned by the striker situation? Always felt we needed two since Lambert left, and two good ones at that. Such a key position, if the additions don't perform we will be in big trouble regardless of good players in other positions. Squad hugely lacks goals.

Still think we will get Pelle and are haggling with Feyenoord over a fee.

Agree over this, and still think Pelle & Ings are the most likely strikers.