The Record Shop Game

dinger

Back when I used to work in a record shop, the most satisfying aspect of the job was always when someone would come in with a relatively open mind and say, "I like this, this and this, what else can you recommend me?"

So how about people use this thread to give three or more artists/records they like, and other people can make a suggestion of a record they think would suit (including where it can be heard online preferably). Then the person can give it a try and report back. How's that sound?

I'll get it started. I like:

Stereolab (I miss them)

Broadcast (I miss them too)

Pram (They might still be going... I miss them anyway)

What should I listen to?

Feel free to make me recommendations, or ask for your own...

Well Lassie Donergan from Tampa Tearaway did produce some of the album. I couldn't get over them stealing that hook from Serious Indigo though, they just changed one note!

Seems we have similar tastes. You may want to give the following a listen, all rocking my world at the mo:

Rabid-Cirrus Circus

Demobilize and Demonstrate-The Ground Base Collective

Recherche-Amy Riddle and the Liars

and, if like me you're partial to a bit of Jazz:

Never Knowingly Sober-Barney Taylor Trio

Bed and Bawd-Hipbone

Edited by Goatboy
Thought of a few more

Back when I used to work in a record shop, the most satisfying aspect of the job was always when someone would come in with a relatively open mind and say, "I like this, this and this, what else can you recommend me?"

So how about people use this thread to give three or more artists/records they like, and other people can make a suggestion of a record they think would suit (including where it can be heard online preferably). Then the person can give it a try and report back. How's that sound?

I'll get it started. I like:

Stereolab (I miss them)

Broadcast (I miss them too)

Pram (They might still be going... I miss them anyway)

What should I listen to?

Feel free to make me recommendations, or ask for your own...

Good choices. Similar to those three, have you tried The Beatles?

Ah I see, Dinger Id recommend Brett And The Dull Days, one of the biggest oompah bands coming out of the Camden scene at the moment!

This is a serious thread about music you c*nt. F*cking heathen.

On a plus note, i've had Radiator Key's new album on today - I have to say I didn't like him before but his latest stuff has been pretty decent. Keep it up son!

Goatboy, it seems that you and I do share a similar taste in music - although Turbo Shandy is such an Oasis rip-off! Have you listened to any Iron Curtain? They're a bit older but they're kind of seen as the founding fathers of this kind of genre: think Pendant & Switch meets Vandersluis. Very good stuff. You probably know them already but thought I would add them onto this thread.

Goatboy, it seems that you and I do share a similar taste in music - although Turbo Shandy is such an Oasis rip-off! Have you listened to any Iron Curtain? They're a bit older but they're kind of seen as the founding fathers of this kind of genre: think Pendant & Switch meets Vandersluis. Very good stuff. You probably know them already but thought I would add them onto this thread.

Iron Curtain must have passed me by but am a big fan of P+S so will give that a listen. Thanks for the tip. Today I was trying to think of my favourites at the mo for certain moods and came up with:

For dancing: Standout-The Hacidic Few

For Chilling: Whiteout-Igloo Cluster

For Making Sweet Love: Cuban Missile-Carly Prenderville