Southampton Vs Denmark

Saint Garrett

I'm not going to worry about summer transfers, just looking forward to seeing as many of our players as possible being given the opportunity to perform on the world stage. I really hope last night showed Roy that's it time to ditch the old guard, with the exception of Gerrard, who I feel has been England's most consistent performer over the last 10 years. Don't take Cole, Lampard, Carrick and Defoe as they've all had a chance and should retire and let some of the younger players through

............ Boruc (new) ............

Chamb .... Fonte/Lovren ..... Shaw

..............JC......VW .................

..................MS......................

........... AL ...... GR ..................

.............. (new)JR? ...................

Squad players/subs

Boruc/new GK

Clyne

LB

CB (/Yoshida)

Davis

JWP

JRod

RL

Gives a solid middle 4 of Lovren/Fonte/Cork/VW

lets MS play at the front of the midfield (his best position)

Gives an offensive 'front 5' of Shaw/Cham/AL/GR/new

Not suggesting we play that all the time or that we permanently bin-off 4-2-3-1, but is this a credible Plan B?

............ Boruc (new) ............

Chamb .... Fonte/Lovren ..... Shaw

..............JC......VW .................

..................MS......................

........... AL ...... GR ..................

.............. (new)JR? ...................

Squad players/subs

Boruc/new GK

Clyne

LB

CB (/Yoshida)

Davis

JWP

JRod

RL

Gives a solid middle 4 of Lovren/Fonte/Cork/VW

lets MS play at the front of the midfield (his best position)

Gives an offensive 'front 5' of Shaw/Cham/AL/GR/new

Not suggesting we play that all the time or that we permanently bin-off 4-2-3-1, but is this a credible Plan B?

It plausible as a plan B, however if I was picking it would be Davis in for Wanyama and Cork and Morgan in DM.

Wholeheartedly agree with the comment that he is a great ambassador for the club. You can see why he was given the captains armband, despite him not really being stereotypically 'captain material'. Speaks well, isn't an arrogant to55er. Credit to the club. Our players always seem to have had good training in regards to interviews etc. JWP, Shaw, Lallana, Chambers all speak very well.

Shaw looked like he's been playing for England for years, you have to keep on telling yourself that he's only 18. I think he's on the plane.

Adam looked like the only player that could pick the Danish lock and as it turned out he was. Another class act. On the plane.

Schmeichel looked very good - maybe a cheeky bid in the summer?

IMO, not only has Adam Lallana booked his ticket to Brazil, he also showed, once again, that he’s a fantastic ambassador for our club. Great player, great bloke.

This absolutely. His comments after the game were ridiculously down-to-earth... I almost wanted him to follow it up with: "Nah, only joking, I'm f*cking brilliant, aren't I?" ... and he would've been entitled to!

When you look at ALL of our international players, especially the home-grown ones, the constant between them all is their fantastic attitude and level-headedness. They don't fall for their own hype, they just go out and do the job. Hence Shaw looked so comfortable, hence Chambers looking a class apart for the U-19's (he really should've been moved up to U-21's), hence the comments from pretty much ALL the international managers about how much they enjoy working with our lads.

Talent is one thing, but that attitude and dedication that has also been instilled in our players, through our Academy, is also responsible for ensuring that the players achieve as much as possible with the talent they possess.

I agree with him! We should be playing the youngest, competitive team we can in this World Cup.

Not only do I agree, I would applaud it. They wpould come home having not won, and looking gutted, tired and peed off, after having given 110% to each and every match.

Whereas we'll have Gerrard, Rooney et al coming back thinking, well here's to the next one if we can.

Drop the lazy, tired, can't be arsed dross that have enough tee-shirts and caps to cover the internal furnishings of a small house, and throw in the future and lose with style, panasche and **** loads of parise for the lads' done good.

I'll be honest that i don't like Rooney. He doesn't try hard enough in my opinion and for his talent he should have a better showing in an England shirt as he does for Manure.

last night we saw some glimpses of the future, Adam and Luke did themselves, the club and us proud, but this should be the rebuilding of the team NOW, not when the others decide to give up international football. If they aint good enough, drop them, who ever they are.

Not only do I agree, I would applaud it. They wpould come home having not won, and looking gutted, tired and peed off, after having given 110% to each and every match.

Whereas we'll have Gerrard, Rooney et al coming back thinking, well here's to the next one if we can.

Drop the lazy, tired, can't be arsed dross that have enough tee-shirts and caps to cover the internal furnishings of a small house, and throw in the future and lose with style, panasche and **** loads of parise for the lads' done good.

I'll be honest that i don't like Rooney. He doesn't try hard enough in my opinion and for his talent he should have a better showing in an England shirt as he does for Manure.

last night we saw some glimpses of the future, Adam and Luke did themselves, the club and us proud, but this should be the rebuilding of the team NOW, not when the others decide to give up international football. If they aint good enough, drop them, who ever they are.

Gerrard lazy? He looks bang in form and a good player for us and he's hardly going to be thinking "well here's to the next one" if we don't do well in Brazil! I don't think there can be too much criticism of the current England approach to using different faces or youth either.

IMO, not only has Adam Lallana booked his ticket to Brazil, he also showed, once again, that he’s a fantastic ambassador for our club. Great player, great bloke.

Agreed, Luke was very good as well. England are extremely lucky to have them, that's for sure.

Gerrard was immense - one of the best players! All the Liverpool players were good and you could tell they are high on confidence and bang on form. Add Lallana and Shaw (also bang on form and high on confidence) and you had a really good recipe.

Sterling will be some player. I don't know how much QPR got for him at the age of 17, but it wasn't enough!!

Livepool, man utd and Arsenal fans were all talking about Lallana with envioous eyes last night.... And whats more, a fair few said they can't afford him.

Very true, but it was only a month or two back that those man utd "fans" were openly saying, when they were linked with a bid for AL, that he was not good enough for them, he was only average, they need a proper big name with experience of winning, etc etc

Wilshire out for 6 weeks with hairline fracture

The boys is made of glass from the waist down, it's a real shame as he looks a genuine talent but if he can't stay fit at this stage in his career it will hold back his development and really doesn't bode well for him in later years.

This was one of the big problems on Saturday, Lallana running the show first half from a central position/free role, Gaston came on centrally at HT and Lallana was then marginalised on the left.

Not sure there's an easy way to accommodate both of them?

Maybe some sort of 4-3-2-1 if we could get a really good, mobile striker to play at the tip?

Funny, I could have sworn that Gaston was wide right when he came on.

Roy should have stepped in straight away......regardless of Wiltshire wanting to come back on...

The lad should NOT have hobbled off...should have been carried...enough players to sub there and then.

Not hindsight either........even my daughter agreed ...sub then...no gamble.

Arsene will be livid.....:rolleyes:

@alex_crook: Just had a nice chat with George Burley about giving Adam Lallana his #saintsfc debut. Amazing the young players he has brought through

Remember him coming on in the league up at Barnsley in 2007 in really **** conditions. We were trailing 2-0 at HT. Turned the game on its head.

Wiltshire should have taken himself off. It was obvious he had a problem but chose to play on. It was his selfish act that he chose to stay on the pitch at 50% instead of thinking of the team and coming off. I would have felt a bit sorry for him but not now. Anther big time Charlie that thinks he's bigger than the team. Rooney should be dropped as well

@alex_crook: Just had a nice chat with George Burley about giving Adam Lallana his #saintsfc debut. Amazing the young players he has brought through

I thought 'Arry was exclusively credited with the success of unearthing every gem the club has produced in the last decade.

Very true, but it was only a month or two back that those man utd "fans" were openly saying, when they were linked with a bid for AL, that he was not good enough for them, he was only average, they need a proper big name with experience of winning, etc etc

Those same Utd fans are gonna be really upset in the summer when the 150 mil war chest can only attract the likes of Jed Wallace & Jermaine Wright

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2574608/England-World-Cup-squad-picked-Sportsmails-experts.html

The England Squad for Brazil picked by all the Journos at the Daily Fail.

Lallana is on the plane with all of them. Interestingly SRL & Luke make it with many as well.

Even JRod makes it with one pundit

FWIW IMHO Lallana will make Messi look ****e, Luke is the future so should go ahead of Cole as reserve to Baines. SRL has to go ahead of Carroll simply because he does what Rooney (and Carroll) cannot do - plays with a brain. Wellbeck vs JRod v Defoe is the one that will be interesting JRod has to be a 50 to 1 shot ATM

Edited by dubai_phil

Why take Baines ???

Take Shaw and Cole, Shaw can learn from the best whilst at tournament and baton can be passed, he will learn more from Cole than he ever will from a mediocre Everton player, then when euro qualifiers start, Shaw knows set up, what's expected and can push on.

Why take Baines ???

Take Shaw and Cole, Shaw can learn from the best whilst at tournament and baton can be passed, he will learn more from Cole than he ever will from a mediocre Everton player, then when euro qualifiers start, Shaw knows set up, what's expected and can push on.

I should have stopped reading at 'Why take Baines' then gave up at 'mediocre everton player'