New Striker in the Summer

kwsaint

Normally I agree with you Nick, but being a stat man yourself Ill level some back. Its important to remember that Lambert has only contributed assists or goals in games against bottom ten opposition with the exception of Spurs. Now, I get the point that contributions count against any team etc but personally if we are looking to progress then you need to be effective against the better teams as well.

I said this in the summer of 2012. After an unexpectedly good start in the Prem, it took about 6 months for it to be empirically verifiable, and with our change in style under Pochettino having bedded in by March 2013 it's been over a year since he was effective IMNVHO.

In this table from last season the average age of the top 45 strikers in the PL was just under 27 and the oldest were 31. Lambert is now 32. Thats hard even when you're playing with a younger partner who does the running and drawing defenders out of position. As a lone striker its practically mission impossible.

http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2013/7/9/4505458/the-top-45-strikers-in-the-pl-the-averages

Well Ive been waiting a while now so please let me know when itll happen

It happened in August-November 2012 for me, when he scored the vast majority of his open-play goals in the Prem. It won't happen again.

Don't know but I think we were serious about or close to getting a loan in - MPs comments certainly suggested so. Either way, I would have preferred our chances with Cortese around even if it was only a makeweight till the summer. A good number of prem teams got loans in.

Sad thing is if the front line were doing the business I serious think we would be top 6 but we really look terrible up front and remember who scored against HULL and WEST HAM defenders

Well I don't know either. How many strikers were out there at the level that we'd want that were available and willing to join us on loan in Jan? Which loans happened in the Prem this Jan that we should have gone for?

We should have signed Shane Long.

Osvaldo was still our player and hadn't whacked Fonte when Long signed for Hull.

We were still arguably one short even with Osvaldo. I doubt Gallagher would have been put into the first team yet if we werent so short of front men.

We were still arguably one short even with Osvaldo. I doubt Gallagher would have been put into the first team yet if we werent so short of front men.
So you wanted Osvaldo, Lambert and another £7m+ signing? Fair enough, but that's pretty ambitious.

Osvaldo was still our player and hadn't whacked Fonte when Long signed for Hull.

...and how was Dani working out before whacking Jose?

Our weakness upfront has only been accentuated by Dani going on loan to Juve.

Anyway, my point was that Shane Long was available, would have been at a reasonable price and would have fitted our style perfectly.

...and how was Dani working out before whacking Jose?

Our weakness upfront has only been accentuated by Dani going on loan to Juve.

Anyway, my point was that Shane Long was available, would have been at a reasonable price and would have fitted our style perfectly.

Well I consider it unrealistic to expect us to go out in January and spend £7m on a striker, when we already have an expensive, fairly new international striker and a pretty decent English Centre Forward. Lambert has been off form, but his return for us this season really hasn't been too bad, he still contributes, but the aim was of course that Osvaldo was to be the main man for us - it was a big gamble, but didn't pay off.

Lukaku will cost £20 mill plus imo,I would be surprised if we would be a big enough club for him,I would imagine a Arsenal or Tottenham would be interested in him

Yeah, he wants Champions league football. We've got no chance.

Great player though.

Well I consider it unrealistic to expect us to go out in January and spend £7m on a striker, when we already have an expensive, fairly new international striker and a pretty decent English Centre Forward. Lambert has been off form, but his return for us this season really hasn't been too bad, he still contributes, but the aim was of course that Osvaldo was to be the main man for us - it was a big gamble, but didn't pay off.

But it's realistic for you to ask who we should get in on loan? Make your mind up.

Alarm bells should have been ringing when Dani went missing for 2 weeks in December before returning in time to kick a geordie coach in the jacobs.

Of all the transfer activity that did occur in January Steve Bruce was by far the smartest. No surprise to see Shane Long hit the ground running at Hull, great link up play, good finisher, pace and guts - what's not to like?

So you wanted Osvaldo, Lambert and another £7m+ signing? Fair enough, but that's pretty ambitious.

In an ideal world yes. Lambert was not the same player as 2012/13, Ramirez was not playing and Osvaldo probelmatic. We were shorter up front than we were in midfield when we spent £12m on Wanyama.

Edited by buctootim

But it's realistic for you to ask who we should get in on loan? Make your mind up.

Alarm bells should have been ringing when Dani went missing for 2 weeks in December before returning in time to kick a geordie coach in the jacobs.

Of all the transfer activity that did occur in January Steve Bruce was by far the smartest. No surprise to see Shane Long hit the ground running at Hull, great link up play, good finisher, pace and guts - what's not to like?

Make my mind about what?

You think we should have gone out and spent £7m on a striker such as Shane Long who's Premier League goal scoring record is quite a bit worse than Lambert's.

Make my mind about what?

You think we should have gone out and spent £7m on a striker such as Shane Long who's Premier League goal scoring record is quite a bit worse than Lambert's.

Anyway perhaps we didn't have 7 million to spend in January. Don't know if we might not be a bit short of the old folding just now, we've spent a lot and received relatively little these last couple of seasons. Given that our PL earnings from last season were about 44 million £ and we spent most of that on last summers transfers there might not be much margin for more spending.

Hernandez and Remy may be possible. But I'd look at Chelsea, take whoever is 4th/5th choice there. I'd happily take likely, schurrle or ba off their hands. I'm being optimistic but that's what we need if we want 20 goals a season.

Not sure Ba would be a very good fit tbh. Im not sure we'll get anyone from the Prem tbh. Doesn't seem our style.

I don't see how top players from clubs not that far ahead and below us in the table are going to sign for us - Players like Bony and Hernandez are not going to leave their clubs for us - Bony could play for someone like Arsenal and Hernandez maybe Spurs, while Remy will go permanently to Newcastle and Lukaku wouldn't join us in a million years.

It would be like Swansea or Newcastle fans saying they should sign Lallana or Rodriguez... we would all find it hilarious on here.

I don't see how top players from clubs not that far ahead and below us in the table are going to sign for us - Players like Bony and Hernandez are not going to leave their clubs for us - Bony could play for someone like Arsenal and Hernandez maybe Spurs, while Remy will go permanently to Newcastle and Lukaku wouldn't join us in a million years.

It would be like Swansea or Newcastle fans saying they should sign Lallana or Rodriguez... we would all find it hilarious on here.

Agreed; we'll try and source someone from abroad, it's where the value and availability is, just not easy to get right.

quite right RL does look a bit slow in the 100 mph pace in the Prem. but expect a little bit more time when playing in 100 deg. F. heat. in Brazil.

His (RL) passing is normally excellent (as seen with two assists for in one of his England games).

Absolutely correct. Technique and ability to retain possession will be at a premium in that heat and humidity. Running around at 100mph like a blue arse fly will just get you killed off later.... excellent Passing ability and quick thinking for that slow slow quick kind of football essential. Rickie spots a killer pass as good as anyone. Rickie holds the ball as good as anyone. The Southampton way is pass pass pass pass....Rickie is as quick thinking in the box as anyone. Rickie is a set piece expert both taking them and heading them in. He can score from both inside and outside the box, almost from nothing. And Rickie never misses penalties. So imo Rickie will be a invaluable option for Roy in Brazil. More valuable than Carroll. He is the only one in this england squad can play that role with the strengths and the finesse required. Unless he gets injured or dramatically gets worse i think he's going to brazil.

I can see that Roy will start with a hardworking team in attritional style play and hope to put on the likes of oxo and townsend towards the end to run at tired defenders. Adam lallana would be an obvious starter given his energy levels in this sense.

Edited by Giordano

I like Ramos's numbers, although I have to admit I haven't seen much of him playing. I'm bit of a Hertha fan, but hard to watch too many of their games in my neck of the woods. 14 goals in 20 odd games is not too shabby, even in the Bundesliga. Not too many Colombian's have played in England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2576006/Inter-Milan-ready-end-Fernando-Torres-Chelsea-nightmare-20m-summer-swoop.html

Also been linked to signing Ossie from us for a similar figure. Would anyone take Torres here? Good fit or not?

Personally I think he might be a decent fit, does seem to be in the right place. Obviously flopped at Chelsea... But maybe too risky? Thoughts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2576006/Inter-Milan-ready-end-Fernando-Torres-Chelsea-nightmare-20m-summer-swoop.html

Also been linked to signing Ossie from us for a similar figure. Would anyone take Torres here? Good fit or not?

Personally I think he might be a decent fit, does seem to be in the right place. Obviously flopped at Chelsea... But maybe too risky? Thoughts?

Yes. I've thought for a long time that he'd be perfect for Saints, but £20m and wages of £150k...and why would he ever come to Southampton?

Would take him in a heartbeat but wages would be prohibitive.

We won't be signing Torres.

For a start Torres would never come here unless we offered well over the top wages we could not afford.

Then the factor is other larger clubs have the money and would offer similar amounts so why?

Also how much would he cost exactly?

As you're an expert on our style care to cast your eye over Ramos from Hertha Berlin and let me know what you think ?

I am no expert, I just love the game and the Saints, having been born on an island thousands of miles from Southampton but with both parent being being born in Southampton, I have taken a lot of sh*t for 40 years from the plastic fans around me that choose the big clubs, MAN U, LIV and ARS. We have endured many years of mediocrity, but now is our time to shine.

When I mention "our style", in truth it is MP style, which has been a progression from AP-NA-MP, all with the ethos of playing football "the right way", quick passing on the ground, playing out from the back, selecting players who are comfortable on the ball, etc. Each one tweeking what the previous had started. We watch, support and learn.

MP has inherited a talented group of players, and added many of his philosophies to our team play. Some are - the high pressing style (must all work hard to close down the passing lanes or open players), using our fullbacks as attacking wingers ( we are blessed in this area) and playing a high defensive line (speed in our centerbacks is a must).

Ramos from Hertha Berlin looks like a good fit, at 28 he is mature and is now playing some of his best football of his career, 2013/14 app-23, gs- 14, ass-3, athletic and quick, good header and should be reasonably priced. But having not watched him play I don't know if he has it in him to press from the front or have the ability to dribble around players. Bony is a good player, I just don't think he has the athleticism to press and harass the CB/GK.

"Our style is pretty sideways passing and then fluffing our chances." lol, seems so true recently, our mostly patient passing build up play leave so much time for the opposition defenses to get organized in front of their goal. Speed and dribbling ability is a must to break this down, RL does not have this, Jrod is still learning (funny NC said Jrod would be our highest goal scorer this year and he was right, this is with Ricky coming off last years as top scorer and Osvaldo coming in with high hopes).

Don't know how long ago those goals were?...but ..an experienced Italian international, (OK he's 31).....but no-one will expect him to play all 38 games for a full 90-minutes.....would they?

He won't get a 4 year contract, but a good "goal poacher " who won't get yellow-carded everytime he scores (keep your shirt on Fabio)...though his boot-marks might tear up the SMS pitch a little.

YES - why not for ONLY £2 million - it's a snip (that was probably Osvaldo's signing-on fee) ....just as long as he's not another " diva " and doesn't mind the rough and tumble of the Premier League.

If it's going to bring the Juve / Osvaldo deal nearer to closure then .. SIGN HIM UP !

The idea is find a fresher more mobile Lambert which gives us a future replacement for him (still think he has plenty to offer) and in the immediate future different options.

Quigerella is just as old as Lambert and not as good as him either IMO.

I am no expert, I just love the game and the Saints, having been born on an island thousands of miles from Southampton but with both parent being being born in Southampton, I have taken a lot of sh*t for 40 years from the plastic fans around me that choose the big clubs, MAN U, LIV and ARS. We have endured many years of mediocrity, but now is our time to shine.

When I mention "our style", in truth it is MP style, which has been a progression from AP-NA-MP, all with the ethos of playing football "the right way", quick passing on the ground, playing out from the back, selecting players who are comfortable on the ball, etc. Each one tweeking what the previous had started. We watch, support and learn.

MP has inherited a talented group of players, and added many of his philosophies to our team play. Some are - the high pressing style (must all work hard to close down the passing lanes or open players), using our fullbacks as attacking wingers ( we are blessed in this area) and playing a high defensive line (speed in our centerbacks is a must).

Ramos from Hertha Berlin looks like a good fit, at 28 he is mature and is now playing some of his best football of his career, 2013/14 app-23, gs- 14, ass-3, athletic and quick, good header and should be reasonably priced. But having not watched him play I don't know if he has it in him to press from the front or have the ability to dribble around players. Bony is a good player, I just don't think he has the athleticism to press and harass the CB/GK.

"Our style is pretty sideways passing and then fluffing our chances." lol, seems so true recently, our mostly patient passing build up play leave so much time for the opposition defenses to get organized in front of their goal. Speed and dribbling ability is a must to break this down, RL does not have this, Jrod is still learning (funny NC said Jrod would be our highest goal scorer this year and he was right, this is with Ricky coming off last years as top scorer and Osvaldo coming in with high hopes).

So you think a player you've never seen is good and suiting to our style? Hmmmmmm....

And you don't think bony is suited to us, even though Swansea play a similarish pass and press style in the same league? Right I understand.

So you think a player you've never seen is good and suiting to our style? Hmmmmmm....

And you don't think bony is suited to us, even though Swansea play a similarish pass and press style in the same league? Right I understand.

Ramos from Hertha Berlin has some of the attributes that are suitable to our high work rate, can he score buckets of goals?, who knows? there are many that will suit our style , some that don't, just based on their speed and work rate. I did not pick Ramos from Hertha Berlin, someone suggested him, I took a quick look, thought he looked like he had potential (many do) but he would not be my choice,Lukaku would be mine and many others agree, but he is probably not a realistic target. Yes I can have an opinion on Bony, He looks like a good old fashion big center forward, big target man, good with his back to goal etc. He could play for Saints because he is proven he can score some goals in PL, but he would have to add some things to his game to suit our style or we would have to change our play to accommodate him. From what i have seen of him, he doesn't look like the type of player to use a lot of energy closing down and harassing the defenders to win the ball high up the pitch. No slight to Bony, many physically big world class strikers don't have this in them. But our attacking press has added a new dimension to our front line, YOU HAVE TO BE FIT AND MOBILE enough to defend from the front and still be expected to "bomb on" in attacks. This is where our Big man RL is suffering, his age and stamina is not there to stay in the whole game trying to do both (press and attack).

Been obvious for months that Lambert is the weak link.

hmmm....

So obvious that he ranks 8th on the EA PPI (Jayrod 9th), and in fantasy football terms, he is the 7th best striker in the prem (JayRod 6th) and comes 12th in points per game (Jayrod 13th)..

He is above Negredo for example in every single rating comparison, as well as being above RVP, lukaku, Benteke, Bony, dzeko, agbonlahor, Eto'o, Torres, Bar etc etc etc..

So its not that frigging obvious, we just have a load of fans who don't watch what he does for the team.

Granted that he is nearing the end of his playing career, but the man deserves fantastic respect and not the sniping that is going on in the wings. He is doing a more than respectable job in my humble opinion.

But.... a younger replacement will be required for next season, or it will be too late to replace him when it really is needed.

hmmm....

So obvious that he ranks 8th on the EA PPI (Jayrod 9th), and in fantasy football terms, he is the 7th best striker in the prem (JayRod 6th) and comes 12th in points per game (Jayrod 13th)..

He is above Negredo for example in every single rating comparison, as well as being above RVP, lukaku, Benteke, Bony, dzeko, agbonlahor, Eto'o, Torres, Bar etc etc etc..

So its not that frigging obvious, we just have a load of fans who don't watch what he does for the team.

Granted that he is nearing the end of his playing career, but the man deserves fantastic respect and not the sniping that is going on in the wings. He is doing a more than respectable job in my humble opinion.

But.... a younger replacement will be required for next season, or it will be too late to replace him when it really is needed.

Well said

Yeh we need a player who can replace Lambert long term but also give us options in the short term.

I think Jay Rod was originally bought to do that but he has evolved into something else and seems more suited attacking from deep rather than leading the line (him scoring more away premier league goals would support that, allowing more space in behind whereas at SMS the deeper defences cause him more trouble) Lukaku would be the ideal for me but I think that is unrealistic, he should be leading the line for Chelsea, hes better than all 3 strikers they have.