Saints 0 Liverpool 3 match reaction

Glasgow_Saint

I've watched Saints all season. On the rare occasions we break quickly we don't get enough players in the box. When we do get enough players in the box it's after a slow build up so the box is defended. Our delivery then isn't good enough. The final pass generally isn't good enough. When Lallana is shackled (was Gerrard really doing this?), we don't create. They had a right back playing left back. He was rubbish when he had to use his left. We didn't have the means to exploit that by going on the outside.

I've watched Saints all season. On the rare occasions we break quickly we don't get enough players in the box. When we do get enough players in the box it's after a slow build up so the box is defended. Our delivery then isn't good enough. The final pass generally isn't good enough. When Lallana is shackled (was Gerrard really doing this?), we don't create. They had a right back playing left back. He was rubbish when he had to use his left. We didn't have the means to exploit that by going on the outside.
Agreed. I'm well aware we don't play with "wingers" these days, but the option of some pace and width, even just off the bench to change things up would be nice - we have nothing of that regard to offer.

Agreed. I'm well aware we don't play with "wingers" these days, but the option of some pace and width, even just off the bench to change things up would be nice - we have nothing of that regard to offer.

No we don't, agreed, however we also need to get cheating and nasty like they were or we will always be second best. Bringing on Rimirez is mostly a total disaster and today as usual proved to be the same. We need to look at the issues - we don't have a goal scorer...... Replacing our key midfielders with Rimirez DOES NOT CUT IT!!!!!!

When will Pochitino realise that wrecking the midfield just messes up our game ...........

We are dominating but not scoring - I know, lets bring Wanyama and Rimirez on !!!! ehhhhh why ??????? We then lose control of the game??? errrrrr yes this happened last week, the week, before and before that and before that and that...........I know lets do the same against Palace! Good idea !!! Lets change the part of our play which is working i.e. the midfield dominators and go for a strategy of not creating chances and not dominating midfield. But we are not scoring goals and yet we are creating chances so why not concentrate on the very forward players??????? Why not concentrate on this area???

I really do think Pochitino needs someone beside him who can rationalise the issues. Rimirez is not the solution, in fact he is more often than not the problem along with a lack of strike power...

When we attack we have no one in the box - PROBLEM! Ricky cannot get there quickly enough PROBLEM! For Christ sake stop looking to the defensive midfielders for a way through this.... Don't bring an unfit Wanyama on - think about it........ The midfield was working it was our most forward players where the issue was and has indeed been most weeks............

If you can't grasp this then we are never going to move on...... Remember you defend from the front and misfiring attackers just put more pressure on our defence who need some help........

I am afraid to say that more and more our manager makes irrational decisions when it comes to substitutions and changing games.

If the problem is missing chances then, is the answer an out of form, unfit Wanyama??????? or a wasteful Ramirez ? Evidently not......... But lets try it a few more times - just for old times sake!

Get a grip and change your thinking MP, your strategy has been failing for quite some time now..........

Two teams that play in a similar way. What's the difference? They have quick, lethal strikers. It would have helped though if our CBs had been on their game today. Lovren not match fit.

A simple and correct summation, as opposed to people trying to read into everything and predicting catastrophe. We are at best a midtable team and will stay that way until we become more clinical in front of goal. That was the only difference that mattered. They created a few chances and took them. We didn't, again.

Anyone watching yesterdays match should now have no illusions that we are currently NOT good enough fot Europe.

First half, we had some great chances, and we did not take any. Liverpool had one, and it was taken.

More or less the same in the second half, though we lost control (IMHO) when Davis was subbed.

Short synopsis - Liverpool have clinical strikers who can and do STRIKE (They would have burried our chances, first half)

We have Lambert and Rodrigues who are NOT clinical, and DON'T strike

You have to pay BIG money to get Quality strikers, and I don't think SFC will be in that sort of market, come the summer.

Two teams that play in a similar way. What's the difference? They have quick, lethal strikers. It would have helped though if our CBs had been on their game today. Lovren not match fit.

Pretty much how I saw it. The final third / end product for us is just not there. Again SRL was just not at the races.

Anyone watching yesterdays match should now have no illusions that we are currently NOT good enough fot Europe.

First half, we had some great chances, and we did not take any. Liverpool had one, and it was taken.

More or less the same in the second half, though we lost control (IMHO) when Davis was subbed.

Short synopsis - Liverpool have clinical strikers who can and do STRIKE (They would have burried our chances, first half)

We have Lambert and Rodrigues who are NOT clinical, and DON'T strike

You have to pay BIG money to get Quality strikers, and I don't think SFC will be in that sort of market, come the summer.

Sort of sums it up for me. Someone should tell MP to look up the word "clinical" in his dictionary.

Sort of sums it up for me. Someone should tell MP to look up the word "clinical" in his dictionary.

MP just has to work with what he's got available though, Lambert,Rodriguez and Gallagher....says it all really.

those who said that Osvaldo's departure would leave us in the crapper if we didn't get a replacement in were of course roundly abused but it sure looks that way now doesn't it. I never rated Billy Sharp but I'm not sure that he'd not do better than either of the options that we have available actually because Lambert is just a waste of space.

Unlucky to go a goal down, a ricochet put Suarez in and he couldn't miss, but there was quite a bit of luck in our defending in the first half as the SS movement caused no end of problems, so there was always the possibility that they would score. That said we were by far the better side in the first half, responding very well to conceding and creating two guilt edge chances. Lallana should hit it first time and Jrod has to put his in the corner. You can't miss those, just as you can't miss from one yarder at Sunderland and expect to get something from a game. We started well in the second half, but the second goal knocked the stuffing out of us and we went to pieces. Far too many miss placed passes from the likes of Morgan. All momentum was lost time after time. Thought ours away a stick on pen. Not seen it again mind.

Boruc - this lofted passes out to the wing do my head in. What the fu ck can shaw do with those sort of passes other tan get flattered? One fabulous save from Gerrard. solid game.

Chambers - another good game. Very composed on the ball. Let's tie him down to a five year deal quick smart. That said when he got in the box in the second half he has to pick someone out.

Lovern - very poor game. Looked sluggish after the long lay off, made lots of bad decisions and a very bad mistake for their second goal. Need him to quickly get back to his best. He was below par just before the injury, so I was worried before the game that he had lost his form.

Fonte - got Lovren out of jail a lot but then made some mistake of his own getting caught in possession right in front of the goal. Overall not a bad game considering the talent they have up front. A lot of decent positions taken up.

Shaw - terrible first half. Mis-controlled almost everything and lost the ball a number of times. Looked nervous. Found his feet in the second half. He seems to want to dribble inside a lot. Not sure that helps us. We need a goal from him.

Cork - when the security blanket of Davis was taken off Liverpool took over in midfield, which is worrying. Cork had a good first half, but ran out of legs and longer passing became awry.

Morgan - decent first half,but terrible second. Far too many longer over ambitious cross field balls that were cut out. This is not our game and the loss of possession killed us.

Davis - we had created enough in the first half with him in the side, why change it? That said Ramirez looked excellent when he came on so the sub seemed to work, but when the second goal went in we suddenly missed his control and the game disappeared.

Lallana - amazing first half. Took the **** out of Gerrard and caused mayhem. I have said it before, but is there a better player at controlling the ball whilst on the move? Gerrard got hold of him the second, but that was helped by some terrible service to him. Should have scored in the first half. Faded when out wide.

Lambert - decent first half but he is dropping deeper and deeper. At least when he found himself out wide Rodriguez was in the middle for his crosses. Carried no threat in the second half and thought SG should have come on 5 minutes earlier. Not all bad, linked up quite well, but he doesn't seem to be quite sharp enough to get the ball under in such crowded areas.

Jrod - you have to tuck those away. For me he frustrates with his dribbling as he never seems to know what he is doing and ends up just running straight into defenders more often than not. Should some great strength in the first half, putting his body in and coming away with the ball. No threat in the second half. I don't think he is international quality myself.Good club player though.

Ramirez - thought he was terrific in the middle, but when pushed out wide he doesn't see the ball and is little threat. That must have been a MP decision to move him out there and it was a bad one. Great impact sub when there is more room, but we got desperate later on and his passing got over ambitious.

Wanyama - still rusty as his first touch showed, but he improved a little. Not enough to get a grip of the game, but damage was done by then.

SG - no impact. Should have got more time.

Edited by Chez

Beaten by a very good side. Played very well until their second goal but that knocked the stuffing out of us. Missed chance after chance and punished by some clinical finishing and also some sloppy defending.

Totally agree, we gave up at 0-2

Totally agree, we gave up at 0-2

Not sure the side ever gives up, they just got strangled by a team confident of their position in the game, helped no end by sloppy over ambitious passing that gave them to ball back. Players bust a gut, the effort was there, but they have to be better.

Just watched MOTD and BR said they practised the 442 diamond all week,pretty much shows that

1.Any decent prem manager now knows how to suss us out and will set his team out to expose this

2. We have no plan B

I still can't work out

Is MP as good as we think?

Are Southampton as good as we think?

Is RL good enough for this level or has he been sussed out?

The form in the last few months has been very bad,is that down to the tactics or down to the lack of depth and quality ?

This summer will be one of the biggest for our club as it will show us the true ambitions of KL,if we don't strengthen with at least 3 class players and lose 1-2 we could be in a heap of trouble next season

We bought a quality striker, Italy's number 9. Shame though that he is only good at playing in Italy.

We bought a heap of trouble for £12m, with a track record of throwing a wobbly and disrupting the dressing room before. Add to this he simply did not want to be here, and it was inevitable it would end in chaos and tears. The clubs agreed the deal in May for Christ sake, and MP/NC pursued it. Absolute lunacy.

Just watched MOTD and BR said they practised the 442 diamond all week,pretty much shows that

1.Any decent prem manager now knows how to suss us out and will set his team out to expose this

2. We have no plan B

I still can't work out

The form in the last few months has been very bad,is that down to the tactics or down to the lack of depth and quality ?

This summer will be one of the biggest for our club as it will show us the true ambitions of KL,if we don't strengthen with at least 3 class players and lose 1-2 we could be in a heap of trouble next season

I thought we played well against Arsenal and Hull actually, nothing wrong with the form in those games. Cup I didn't care about so for me it's only in the last 2 weeks that we've gone to pot again, something untoward has happened, we shall no doubt find out exactly what in the near future. Perhaps it's just too many international call ups, could be as simple as that.

We bought a heap of trouble for £12m, with a track record of throwing a wobbly and disrupting the dressing room before. Add to this he simply did not want to be here, and it was inevitable it would end in chaos and tears. The clubs agreed the deal in May for Christ sake, and MP/NC pursued it. Absolute lunacy.

I agree completely, but it does answer the assertion that we are not up to spending money on a quality striker. We'll just have to be a bit more careful next time and get one who does want to play with us and who is not a disruptive influence. Pochettino obviously thought that he could control Osvaldo, but it seems that Osvaldo merely intended to use us as a stepping stone to a top Italian club, knowing that Roma wouldn't sell him to a rival. Lovren arrived under a bit of a cloud from his last club and has turned out really well and there have been other players who leave clubs under a shadow and then become very good players elsewhere without making waves amongst their team mates.

I thought we played well against Arsenal and Hull actually, nothing wrong with the form in those games. Cup I didn't care about so for me it's only in the last 2 weeks that we've gone to pot again, something untoward has happened, we shall no doubt find out exactly what in the near future. Perhaps it's just too many international call ups, could be as simple as that.

Hull,Fulham,Cardiff and West Brom are the teams we have beaten in the last 14 or so games 3 of those are in the bottom 4,that is a very poor read and not sure what the form guide says but I would imagine that is relegation form,we are just lucky that we had such a strong start to the season

We bought a quality striker, Italy's number 9. Shame though that he is only good at playing in Italy.

You are missing the point

We DID buy a quality striker .. Past tense ... before Cortese left and Katharina took over

I don't think KL will sanction any "Quality" signings in the summer

2. We have no plan B

I still can't work out

I dont think liverpool sussed us out,the only thing between the 2 sides was clinical finishing and that is not credit to liverpool that is our own failing.lallana score rather than hitting post or we are rewarded with the penalty we should have been given and this forum is totally different reaction.all down to finishing

You are missing the point

We DID buy a quality striker .. Past tense ... before Cortese left and Katharina took over

Seeing as Gaston and Osvaldo have been complete and utter waste of money , this maybe a good thing.

Is our formation working for us? Should we be trying others?

Are we capable of changing it, with the players we have? For instance, Liverpool played a diamond 4 in midfield yesterday. Could we do that? Morgan at base, lallana left, cork/Davis right, gaston top. Jrod and lambert up front.

Liverpool were fantastic. Saurez movement is excellent and Gerrard is back to his best.

We were OK, but our finishing is woeful at the moment. Chambers and Shaw were excellent. Cork, Morgan and Davis were competent. Lallana was excellent.

Lambert and JRod were awful. I don't know what has happened to Lambert (I've been told he has some kind of archilles issue), but he is almost completely ineffective now.JRod is proving he is no more than an ok Championship player...so wasteful in front of goal and can't seem to get his head up to deliver a telling pass.

And so to the bench. Wanyama is a shadow of when he started for us, but to bring on a defensive midfielder who loses the ball easily when we need to create chances was asking for trouble. Expecting a young striker to come on and affect the game is extremely hopeful, but Gallagher is not showing the same level of class that Shaw, Chambers and Ward-Prowse do...he needs to go on loan to a L1 or Championship side to learn his trade.

I keep saying it...the summer is going to be very interesting indeed in terms of us moving on or falling backwards.

quality, expensive or overpriced?

Sharp, Osvaldo and Mayuka will all be back and need shifting before funds/wages are available for their replacement.

3 posters above are slating Ricky lambert; I have just watched the MOTD highlights and he chests down for the Lallana chance; he dummies the ball for the Rodriguez chance; he puts a greta pass in for Lallana early second half, weak shot. To say he was awful or not at the races is a combination of spite, blindness and lack of respect.

4 split second moments of errors turned a draw/win into a defeat; forget the last 15 minutes or the 'penalty' as once Gerrard had gone through Lallana for the fourth time it was game over anyway.

Move on, blue line, roll on Dellhurst Park.

3 posters above are slating Ricky lambert; I have just watched the MOTD highlights and he chests down for the Lallana chance; he dummies the ball for the Rodriguez chance; he puts a greta pass in for Lallana early second half, weak shot. To say he was awful or not at the races is a combination of spite, blindness and lack of respect. .

This we all see what we want to back our views, I am pro RL and yes his legs aint what they used to be but he makes many good opportunities.

PLUS

"Originally Posted by pangy View Post

2. We have no plan B"

1. But would this system have worked had we put our chances that we made away, it was more their clinical ability than ours that was the difference.

2. Plan B is to play Plan A properly and get existing or new strikers to be more lethal.

Cheers

Chris Kamara: "Stonewall penalty" What a complete muppet. Considering the penalties that has not been given this season it's a dive from Suarez!! But in the end we don't score goals and that's why we loose this game. And I don't know if the media handling is part of it. When starting talking about qualifying for the Champions league we then lost 6 out 9, and now we have lost two after talking about qualifying for the Europa league... What happened to the old cliché one game at a time...

This we all see what we want to back our views, I am pro RL and yes his legs aint what they used to be but he makes many good opportunities.

PLUS

"Originally Posted by pangy View Post

2. We have no plan B"

1. But would this system have worked had we put our chances that we made away, it was more their clinical ability than ours that was the difference.

2. Plan B is to play Plan A properly and get existing or new strikers to be more lethal.

Cheers

We are always playing a risk with the high line and attacking full backs,any team quick on the counter will know that and will always look to expose that weakness.

I am not buying that Plan B is to play plan A properly,to me that sounds a cop out and we have no other ideas

Liverpool changed the formation and game approach yesterday because they knew we were one dimensional in our play,we never change the way we play no matter who the opponent and I don't know if that is brave of MP or naive .is it a coincidence that it worked so well for the first 10 or so games when no team could cope with the pressing/high line,now everyone manager can pretty much guess our starting line up/formation days before we play them and can set out there team to counter our tactics,

The Hull game was a fantastic result against a very good Hull team,but the other wins were against teams in utter free fall and most teams in the top half should be taking 3pts from

The only other game we played well in recently was Arsenal and we really should of won that had we been more clinical,SG was lively and very mobile in that game and I think we can all agree that we looked a lot more fluid and threatening with that extra movement,but we lacked the experience to finish that game off.

We are safe but we really need to have more options next season with tactics and players

I thought we played well but like the manager said Liverpool were clinical. Just thought we looked tired at times and have not got a bigger enough squad plus Liverpool changed there system for this game. Liverpool are second and we gave them a good game.I see a lot of good progress for next season so I will not be topping myself over this result and hope we keep our manager.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Favourite excuses for sh*te SFC results this season :

"They were more clincial"

"We looked tired"

"One of those days"

Weak wishy-washy mittgations :

"Should be grateful for 9th"

"Look at where we were half a decade ago"

"Playing pretty football" (however ineffectual)

"Look at our possesion" (however ineffectual)

Manager that cannot deliver results should f**k off..

"We looked tired"

"One of those days"

Shall we let this one just hang in the air for a while.

Having watched Match of the Day, it is clear that we should have had a stonewall penalty where their defender changed his direction to deliberatley barge Lallana off the ball in the box. Then Liverpool should not have had a penalty against Fonte. He had put his foot down having attemtped to get the ball from Suarez and Suarez seeing his leg planted there, deliberately chose to run onto it. Fonte did not move his leg to trip him. But this is what the cheating, diving bastard does to perfection nowadays. He has honed his skills and perfected them and now he can con most referees with his play-acting.

But I am still left wondering why the team that outplayed Liverpool in the first half was far less effective when Cork and Davis are replaced by Wanyama and Ramirez, who were a waste of space today. And I still think that the team's performance in the last 20 minutes deserves them getting a bloody good rollicking with a couple of exceptions.

seems it hard to defend anything for a side that lost, but I agree this made us look worse than we were. Fonte got there at the same time and Suarez played his foot into Fonte's leg and was bound to go down. Of course it didn't affect the final result, but it always feels worse when you concede a goal to someone who cheats. Lord knows why he has to ...when he has such great skills ....24 goals.

We are always playing a risk with the high line and attacking full backs,any team quick on the counter will know that and will always look to expose that weakness.

Agree with this part. For all the benefits of having high % possession, we 're easily caught out by a hefty clearance, or a well-placed long ball which leaves the striker one-to-one with the keeper.

ala.. Aston Villa, West Ham ....and again yesterday.

Like many others I love our attacking style, but we really must make far more of the chances we get. We often have far more chances than opponents - without converting nearly enough of them.

With no strikers scoring and 6 goals conceded in the last two games, you've got to expect changes next match. Expected to lose today. But not last week. Ponch seems only to have one attacking formation.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

It isn't attacking formation that is the problem, it is not having an alternative to the high-risk high pressing game, when our small squad of first team Prem quality players, battling against solid, dense defences, are becoming increasingly more tired as matches progress. Adkins was at least learning that we needed to base our game around defence, breaking fast into spaces in attack, and his results were improving. MoPo's teams don't as the season progresses for those reasons.

"We looked tired"

"One of those days"

Just out of interest, where do you think we are capable of, or should be finishing in the league standing? Do you think that perhaps we over performed at the start of the season during the first 10 games in what was a favourable set of fixtures, or should we have maintained our form and be challenging for a Champions League place?

When you have a team where you only really have 3 goalscoring options at best you need them to be able to put their foot through the ball when the opportunity arises.

Cork Morgan and to a degree Davis are not likely to score therefore until we get more goals from mifield we are going to struggle if the forwards dont put the ball away. Jrod has done well but he often tries sidefooting instead of hitting it, AL fantastic as he is still cannot put pace into a shot. The game was all about them being clinical and us not so. Such fine margins

We play pretty but ineffective football, the press love it as they can sell it as aunderdog stroy but what does it achieve, it makes the more gullible fan think we are doing ok but again what will it achieve,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2444164/Mauricio-Pochettino-Forget-Europa-League-Southampton-want-Champions-League.html

That was sold and many silly people bought it, I didn't and neither did the club as they didn't buy enough quality and they never were, we are a medium sized club that will NEVER break into the higher echelons of the Premiership simply because of our size, fans need to accept this and move on.

It was a good game of football - excellent flowing passing movements. Saints simply do not put away enough of the chances that are created - also our final ball into the box is too often weak and ineffective.

Lallana, Cork, Shaw and Chambers all did very well. Morgan had a poor game and Lovren and Fonte looked stretched. Up front RL and JRod only showed flashes of class.

We played Liverpool when they were on top form and we did not get any luck on the day. However, we are several players short of having a team to challenge for a top spot. Pochettino may not be the answer to our problems - he looks a bit out of his depth.