Saints players on England duty.

Saint Garrett

At least we know that Roy H. hasn't avoided our lads (and for once) an England manager has the media on his side....but there is a l-o-n-g way still to go before the plane takes off for Brazil.

11 Prem. League matches PLUS Cup games for some of those chosen....and injuries, loss of form will play a big part now .....until Roy has to make a definitive choice of his 23.

Still... it's good to see FOUR Saints players in the 30.

Interestingly......looking at the Prem's. eight leading goalscorers...(between 11-23 goals ) only ONE...is English ....(Daniel Sturridge)

However, looking to the next four strikers (Jay Rod and Rooney have 10 each ) ....and in the next grouping ...Lambert and Welbeck,( with 8 each).... then Lallana with 7.

Surely we ought to get at least 2 of those 3 on the plane....?.

Edited by david in sweden

1 good game.....thsi is what happened to Cleverley. He had a good game in the Charity Shield a few years ago, and now he's a regular squad member. Should have to earn your spot, not do awfully to get out of it.

Cleverley simply hasnt progressed, in fact he has regressed Id of said, he has ability but clearly no idea how to use it.

Townsend isnt as bad as some make out, he is direct and does cause problems, has a bit to prove between now and Brazil though

Cleverley simply hasnt progressed, in fact he has regressed Id of said, he has ability but clearly no idea how to use it.

Townsend isnt as bad as some make out, he is direct and does cause problems, has a bit to prove between now and Brazil though

He's not awful....but hes not particularly deserving of his place in the squad.

......and you mean a club with a French manager ....... like Arsenal ?.....

not necessarily, plenty of their players are at clubs with all sorts of nationalities as manager. It's more about the status of the club than anything else and of course European football, that's the common denominator. There's not one player on their list without it and the vast majority (bar one or 2) have played in the CL, it's the only level that DD respects.

Great news for Shaw but I still think Ashley Cole will get the nod for Brazil. Good management by Hodgson though, give the boy a chance to impress and give Cole a wake up call at the same time.

Hodgson did say though that this group had been selected on current form only and that others were not necessarily out of the running. Not sure that he didn't specify Carroll,Johnson and Barry after that.

• 4 weeks later...
Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 50s

GOAL! #SaintsFC’s Josh Sims puts #EnglandU17s ahead against Holland in the Algarve Tournament. Well done, Josh!

I like the sound of this kid from the little I've heard about him.

Just signed his first professional contract. Few clips on his interview on YouTube. Looks a very small lad but I've heard very good things. Next big thing?

Great interview I thought, spoke about Adam and saints but obviously non committal about who is on the plane. Pleased he's naming 23 players and 7 reserves instead of 30 and everyone is wondering who's going home.

I disagree , he spoke about Sterling, Wellbeck ,Rooney, Ashley Cole,STurridge. I suspect they are pencilled in

It's a fine line.... if holds back too much Rickie won't look as impressive over the remaining games as an 'all guns blazing' Andy Carroll....

I really hope it is Ricky. Carroll will probably get it because he once cost £35m and is the easy choice. I hope he looks at the number of assists that Lambert does for us.