The "What striker should be get in after/if Osvaldo has left in the summer" thread

saint_disco123

People really, really really need to calm their **** on on Ings.

He's having one good season in the champo; what on earth makes people think he's going to be a sudden success in the Prem?

There have been a ton of strikers who've been **** hot in the Championship Jermaine Beckford...Jordan Rhodes... etc. and either never really make it in the Premiership or don't attract interest from Premiership managers.

We need strikers with experience and success in Europe's top leagues.

Also, slightly off the subject, we need to decide whether or not we're sticking with 4-5-1 and looking for a 6'3' target man, or whether we might change to a 4-4-4-2 and look for strikers with pace and movement. We might not necessarily be sticking with the former if we're moving into the post-Lambert phase.

I'd love to see us play that formation, but somehow I think that might give us an unfair advantage ;)

Not saying we don't need another striker, obviously we do, but people dismissing Rodriguez as someone who could get 20+ goals a season is a bit silly. With hard work he could definitely improve his first touch and one on one finishing, and become a much more regular goal scorer. In fact I'll be amazed if he isn't scoring over 20 goals in the Prem at least one season before his career is over.

Good question, sit down have a cup-a-tea and have a read for a few min......We need a striker!. RL is at the end of his career. Osvaldo was an indication we knew we needed a Striker of proven quality and the board came through. There must be a replacement being lined up. We should use this seasons positive performance and top ten position to tempt the players who would do well here. What do we need? tall, strong, quick feet, fast, fit, silky, bullish........all of the above and can score 20+ a season. Well guess what , so are every club looking for that perfect striker so we have to be realistic.

Now great footy managers, what do we get? would you go for the big front man or the tricky small striker? hmmm, we have been playing with our own big target man RL for a few years and done very well. A simple big man replacement would seem the easy answer. So my realistic choices would be three players from the BPL that have shown they can score goals at this level and we have seen their quality first hand on a weekly basis.The first two won't be cheap, but if we were to show true CL aspirations then 25mill should be our target. Benteke (age 23- we are a better team than AV ), Lukaka (age-20, very unlikely if Chelsea want to keep him, but if they want LS that bad, here is the makeweight,oh ya, throw Thibaut Courtois in there too) and maybe Demba Ba (28- already rumored to be available for transfer in the summer but his knees are a concern, but a rotation with RL may see us good for a few seasons). Three big, fast, tricky strikers who could lead our front line. All athletic enough to keep up the pressing style.

BUT..... is this what MP wants?? since he has been here and imposed his aggressive pressing, ball retention, methodical build up style. He has diminished RL from an out and out target man to a more involved play maker, more intricate ball movement. If we are emulating the Barcelona model in style of play and youth academy, we can see that Barca do not play with a big, strong front man, they opt for more sublime skilled players, one that is just as comfortable in midfield (with the stamina of a midfielder) as they are upfront (this is a positive for RL, MP has been blessed with a big striker that can mix it up in midfield, his touch and passing ability is awesome, but he is no longer a full season player).

So MP choice - Osvaldo - a player who's got ability, agility and is more in-tune to the tikka takka ball movement. These are clues that a similar player is to be scouted, we don't seem concerned about POWER and PACE, we seem to be leaning toward STAMINA and GRACE. It is imperative that whom ever it be, must be willing to close down from the front, our style depends on the strikers maintaining this pressure, otherwise it all fails and we get exposed. I suspect Osvaldo was not a great fit for this, as most strikers conserve their energy when the ball needs to be won. This they feel is their right as the goal scorer of their team, they can let a defender waltz pass them and let the rest of the team worry about getting it back. We cannot make that mistake again on a premadonna striker who is not worthy of the grunt work of closing down opposition, Jrod and RL (especially RL at his size and age) has suffered some of their goal tally because they have spent so much energy on pressing from the front.

We seem to be in the lookout for a Suarez, Sergio player (ohhh that would be so nice) Sooooo, who of the more mobile nimble strikes of the world would you like? the one in the BPL that we could entice is not so attractive as the Big strikers i have mentioned. How about - Remy (can score , but would he do the hard work of pressing from the front? are we more attractive than Newcastle to the player? Fabio Borini? seems like he could develop into class. Nothing stands out to me in the BPL.

Maybe we can get lucky in the world footballing pot. It would be interested to see if my theory will prove right of wanting a smaller more mobile front man than the big brute force, back to goal, hold up type of player . But what would we pay? BIG, big question on our decision to buy a striker. $15 mill on Dani, could see 25 mill being our upper limit. This 20+ mill could get us a world top ten (20-25 years old) rising super star or a second tier seasoned pro with defined abilities.

The world seems full of young stars that could be the next best thing, between 17 - 20 years. But here is where I worry, because the mega clubs like MC, PSV, RM and especially Chelsea (Chelsea now have a whopping 19 young players out on loan) are making it their business to buy most of the young talent and stock piling them, our LS maybe next! They are capturing the raw gems of the footballing world, giving them hope to rise to the first team, which rarely happens and then sells them on for a huge profit (Kevin de bruyne, bought for 7mill, sold for 18 mill 2yrs later), great business for them, but a worrying trend for the smaller clubs to hold onto their youth, not something new, but it seems to be accelerating with these mega rich clubs. Not only can they buy the best in the world, splashing around 100's of millions, but they now buy every young superstar to add or discard as they please.

If we have a real belief of reaching the CL we will only get there with LUCK! our style, team effort and improving abilities of our young players will get us close but not to the promise land, we will need a few more superstars!. Will we see SFC buying the ready made ones?, they are 30+ mill (probably not), so we will have to take a chance on a rising star, one with promise, one that hasn't been snatched up in the Mega rich club's trawl nets, in other words "a whole lotta LUCK!!".

check out FIFA 2014 wonder kids pick, we have three on there, these are considered by some to be the best kids on the planet! amazing! and we have more to come!

GK: Fabrice Ondoa (17, Barcelona B, 80)

RB: Calum Chambers (18, Southampton, 80)

RCB: Kurt Zouma (18, St-Etienne, 85)

LCB: Karim Rekik (18, PSV, 85)

LB: Luke Shaw (18, Southampton, 85)

CM: Leon Goretzka (18, Schalke, 85)

CM: James Ward-Prowse (18, Southampton, 85)

CM: Tonny Vilhena (18, Feyenoord, 85)

RW: Zakaria Bakkali (17, PSV, 90)

LW: Bruma (18, Galatasaray, 88)

ST: Aleksandar Mitrovic (18, Anderlecht, 87)

Agree with that, he used to protect the ball so well too but seems to lose it quite easily more often now...

possibly due to lack of space just in front of the back four. Premiership sides are much more wary of players getting in that space in between the lines, so they fill it with bodies, which is a problem for Lambert as that's where he likes to do his work.

I've been very impressed by Shane Long this season. I think he would be a great fit for our formation and pressing style. His link up play of late with Jelovic has been outstanding and he knows how to finish too.

If we wanted him, we would have signed him in January. He isn't going to leave a club he just joined in January.

I know Katharina Leibherr has said that she will be carrying on with the "project", but that is NOT mean she will be shelling out £15M to aquireplayers of the calibre of Ramirez and Osvaldo

I think those days are GONE

What I think will happen is that more players from the Academy production line will be blooded.

I think that we will revert to a SELLING Club again, and will (hopefully) settle for Mid Table obscurity in the coming season.

Dreams of European Football died with the departure of Cortese IMHO, as NOTHING that KL has said has in any way convinced me that she will be INVESTING the Millions required to attract TOP players to St Marys

All just my opinion of course

We're no longer shopping in that market, IMO.

again, any player that chelsea have who they have paid circa £20m for who is a top international, is going to be way out of our price range

maybe a loan but cant see them doing it again. not after a WC

How exactly have our markets changed? We've never been in a position to buy Lukaku, unfortunately.

We did try last year tbf. I don't think he's in our league, but in terms of the ambition to shop at that level...or even try, I think that's gone.

To be honest, I don't think he will ever make it at Chelsea. He's not a bad player at all, I can see him moving on to another big club in Europe.

We did try last year tbf. I don't think he's in our league, but in terms of the ambition to shop at that level...or even try, I think that's gone.

To be honest, I don't think he will ever make it at Chelsea. He's not a bad player at all, I can see him moving on to another big club in Europe.

Yes, I know we tried and we didn't succeed, so it's not really relevant, Lukaku didn't come to us last summer and won't come this summer. To be fair I reckon it could be a really interesting summer, very hard to predict now which way we'll go and who we'll end up with.

Learn from our mistakes, needs to be premier league proven. As good as some of these names might seem, osvaldo was unplayable in Italy, unwatchable in England.

Hernandez first choice, Remy second. Guarenteed goals!!!

TBH we're not going to be able to buy a proven premier league striker. We have to make gambles and hope they pay off. Similar to Swansea with Michu a few years back

short and simple thread name I know...

but just wondered on everyone's opinions on a new striker coming in?

granted I know we have SG and I'm sure he will break through and also Mayuka may make a comeback but we all know we are a striker down at the moment

who would you like to see come in in the summer?

Benteke? Hooper? Michu? maybe a foreign player? Discuss..

Now wait a minute..we're already on page 2 of this thread....and you're suggesting we should sign a top striker who; will like the club, fit in with the ethos of the present squad....AND score goals, too:lol:

What a question ...... Do you think you're asking a load of experts or something? Some of this lot are ready to burn their season ticket in protest that we aren't already 5 points clear at the top of the Prem.

.........and you're asking about NEXT SEASON? ........Nice idea, but don't expect too many sane suggestions. I bet no-one gets the right answer.

TBH we're not going to be able to buy a proven premier league striker. We have to make gambles and hope they pay off. Similar to Swansea with Michu a few years back

Why not? Wouldn't cost more than what we spent on osvaldo. If Qpr fail to get promoted they'll have to sell Remy. United will have an overhaul in the summer and Hernandez will be way down the peckig order, so I feel they'll both be possible buys.

Why not? Wouldn't cost more than what we spent on osvaldo. If Qpr fail to get promoted they'll have to sell Remy. United will have an overhaul in the summer and Hernandez will be way down the peckig order, so I feel they'll both be possible buys.

Remy will cost about 20 million, Pardew said only the other day that Remy becomes less affordable to them with every goal that he scores. At Osvaldo prices you're in the hit and hope brigade. Anyway I really,really doubt that we'll be spending much money this summer, not on transfer fees anyway. Think we'll be looking for decent free agents.

Has anyone any idea how Osvaldo is getting on? Is he doing well enough to be likely to be signed by anyone at the end of the season?

Only plays bit parts in their League team I think, played 60 odd minutes in the EL game though and scored an easy goal. No doubt that they took him for the Europa League as they have all the strikers they need for the Calcio. Italian Federation probably wanted him playing on a regular basis though. don't know how the England set up handle those sort of cases but it is universally known that the FFF tells players who aren't regulars in their sides to find new clubs if they want to continue being part of the national team.

i would like to sign wellbz! if man u would sell us wellbz for £10m i would sign wellbz immediately! I think wellbz would be a really good player for us, i think wellbz would score plenty of goals. I think wellbz is a nice guy also + would fit in well with out lads. I also like his haircut.

i would like to sign wellbz! if man u would sell us wellbz for £10m i would sign wellbz immediately! I think wellbz would be a really good player for us, i think wellbz would score plenty of goals. I think wellbz is a nice guy also + would fit in well with out lads. I also like his haircut.

Fan of the hi-top fade, bear? Pretty old school.

The other problem is every team in the EPL, bar Liverpool & Man City, is going to be after a 'top' striker this summer, going to be a sellers market. I still think Ings is the way to go and try to bring Gallagher on, unless we can get lucky and hit on a foreign striker but with the uncertainty around the club this summer you worry quite how much transfer dealing is going to happen