Liverpool build up

Batman

Is beating Swansea 4-3 at home "**** hot"?

Attacking wise they are terrific at the moment, in fact this season. They score from all over and it's one of the most free-flowing Liverpool teams I've seen in recent seasons. Rogers has done a wonderful job with them, developing a way to play and evolving the team.

Defensively they aren't great though, Toure is awful and Skertl is hot and cold. So they're beatable in that side of the game, however with the attack they've got we'll need to have our fair share of luck on Saturday to get anything in my opinion.

Attacking wise they are terrific at the moment, in fact this season. They score from all over and it's one of the most free-flowing Liverpool teams I've seen in recent seasons. Rogers has done a wonderful job with them, developing a way to play and evolving the team.

Defensively they aren't great though, Toure is awful and Skertl is hot and cold. So they're beatable in that side of the game, however with the attack they've got we'll need to have our fair share of luck on Saturday to get anything in my opinion.

That's what I mean. Perhaps the best team to watch at the moment. BTW Swansea are a good side.

Really looking forward to this one.

Couple of days in Amsterdam (Business Meetings - honest :rolleyes:) Then fall off the morning flight into SOU & some shopping. Fish & Chips at Mikes' Chippy & some more shopping then in my seat in The Chapel trying to save my hearing from all that noise.....

Then back to Mum's in time to see The Beat in concert & have a damn fine Curry.

PP & SW - you guys going Saturday? Limited Internet after tomorrow & lost my UK mob with your numbers on it!

would loveto see us win. Two of my best friends are Liverpool supporters and would love to be able to give them some stick. That said i think Liverpool are terrific going forward and with SAS up front they are so dangerous. I think Liverpool will beat us because they will take their chances and we will not....thats where i believe the difference lies.

We have to be more clinical. I'm getting bored of all these games where we dominate possession but then lack a cutting edge in front of the goal. Saturday reminded me to an extent, of watching Barca and Bayern in midweek. Lots of neat and tidy build up play, except the major difference being that they can put the ball in the net and we can't.

Couple of days in Amsterdam (Business Meetings - honest :rolleyes:) Then fall off the morning flight into SOU & some shopping. Fish & Chips at Mikes' Chippy & some more shopping then in my seat in The Chapel trying to save my hearing from all that noise.....

PP & SW - you guys going Saturday? Limited Internet after tomorrow & lost my UK mob with your numbers on it!

This isn't Facebook btw !

Like_1.jpg

Boruc

Clyne - Fonte - Lovren - Shaw

Wanyama - Schneiderlin

Ramirez - Lallana - JRod

Gallagher

This.

................Boruc

clyne....Fonte...Lovren..Shaw

.......Morgan..Wanyama

JRod........Ramirez.....Lallana

.............Lambert

Agree entirely.

Make your mind up.... ;)

He might have allowed himself to start thinking otherwise one third of the way into the season when we went to Arsenal with a chance of going top.... :)

He said himself that he chose us for our ambition, depends really on where we are with that now. To me our failure to sign at least a striker in January has shown me exactly where we are on the ambition front. We have an 18 year old and an old man whose legs have gone, not much ambition to be seen there now is there.

He said himself that he chose us for our ambition, depends really on where we are with that now. To me our failure to sign at least a striker in January has shown me exactly where we are on the ambition front. We have an 18 year old and an old man whose legs have gone, not much ambition to be seen there now is there.

The aim of "the project" is to achieve success via promotion from within, so the emphasis will always be on looking towards our development squad to fill gaps rather than making knee jerk purchases in the open market.

Why did he come here to play Champions League football?

Because I've no doubt that that was the project sold to him at the time. He was playing CL football at Celtic, he apparently had some offers from other European clubs but he chose us because of our ambition, at that time the talk was of CL football in the foreseeable future, perhaps not next season but not in 30 years time either.

The aim of "the project" is to achieve success via promotion from within, so the emphasis will always be on looking towards our development squad to fill gaps rather than making knee jerk purchases in the open market.

Which is why of course we've spent nigh on 70 million in 2 summers. Where would we be now if we were solely reliant on the "Academy" probably about half way down the championship. The nucleus of our current side has come from the exterieur, only Shaw and Chambers have come from the Academy, well Lallana but he was here before these owners, might even be after they leave as well. It's just a pipe dream that we need to abandon if we really want any form of recognisable success.

Because I've no doubt that that was the project sold to him at the time. He was playing CL football at Celtic, he apparently had some offers from other European clubs but he chose us because of our ambition, at that time the talk was of CL football in the foreseeable future, perhaps not next season but not in 30 years time either.
He should have gone with one of those other European clubs (Celtic or Cardiff) for his Champions League football, as most normal people would have looked at the top 5 of English football and would have known we weren't going to break into it.

Which is why of course we've spent nigh on 70 million in 2 summers. Where would we be now if we were solely reliant on the "Academy" probably about half way down the championship. The nucleus of our current side has come from the exterieur, only Shaw and Chambers have come from the Academy

This is true. I guess the "getting to where we are now" part can be labelled "a means to an end"....i.e. in order to get to the position we are now (mid-table comfort) we've had to get some external investment (aka players) - a springboard might be a decent analogy. Now we're here we can start "the project" in earnest - or maybe "start phase 2" is a better way of putting it. It's a bit like going on Dragon's Den with a business idea....getting some initial investment....and then watch as the business becomes self-sustaining once the foundations have bedded in...

It's just a pipe dream that we need to abandon if we really want any form of recognisable success.

You may well be right. Or you might be wrong. Will be interesting to watch to see what happens though, one way or t'other.

Edited by trousers

You are jumping to conclusions. Do you have any solid evidence the funding is stoping? Even if it did, we still would have money to spend through general income of TV money, prize money etc. We didn't spend much in the January 2013 window either, didn't stop the club spending big in the summer 2013 window. Osvaldo is still a Saints player and the Osvaldo/Fonte training ground incident happened towards the end of the window. Have you considered the club are looking to sell him and a better time to get a replacement rather than rushing in January and waiting until the summer?

Edited by Matthew Le God

This is true. I guess the "getting to where we are now" part can be labelled "a means to an end"....i.e. in order to get to the position we are now (mid-table comfort) we've had to get some external investment - a springboard might be a decent analogy. Now we're here we can start "the project" in earnest - or maybe "start phase 2" is a better way of putting it. It's a bit like going on Dragon's Den with a business idea....getting some initial investment....and then watch as the business becomes self-sustaining once the foundations have bedded in...

You may well be right. Will be interesting to watch to see what happens though.

I'd have thought that our performances in the cups this season would have shown us exactly where we are with the youth project. Our youth apart from the "cherries" will soon be swelling the ranks of Yeovil,Aldershot and Salisbury as per usual.

I've seen it all before, we've had so many stars in the making who just turned out to be total rubbish or have poor attitudes.

It's nothing new, every club wants home grown talent, that's why Arsenal and Manchester Utd have scores of young players who will never be quite good enough for them out on loan at Burnley,Peterborough and beyond. In the main young players who will one day be good enough to be first team regulars in the PL will have shown that by the time they're 18 or 19, most of ours certainly haven't done that yet.

I'd have thought that our performances in the cups this season would have shown us exactly where we are with the youth project. Our youth apart from the "cherries" will soon be swelling the ranks of Yeovil,Aldershot and Salisbury as per usual.

I've seen it all before, we've had so many stars in the making who just turned out to be total rubbish or have poor attitudes.

It's nothing new, every club wants home grown talent, that's why Arsenal and Manchester Utd have scores of young players who will never be quite good enough for them out on loan at Burnley,Peterborough and beyond. In the main young players who will one day be good enough to be first team regulars in the PL will have shown that by the time they're 18 or 19, most of ours certainly haven't done that yet.

Yep... evolution vs revolution is probably the order of the day

You are jumping to conclusions. Do you have any solid evidence the funding is stoping? Even if it did, we still would have money to spend through general income of TV money, prize money etc. We didn't spend much in the January 2013 window either, didn't stop the club spending big in the summer 2013 window. Osvaldo is still a Saints player and the Osvaldo/Fonte training ground incident happened towards the end of the window. Have you considered the club are looking to sell him and a better time to get a replacement rather than rushing in January is waiting until the summer?

Osvaldo had been acting up since god knows when, Cortese going was obviously the final straw for him, had we not been negociating loans to Italy for him long before Cortese's departure was finally announced ?. We could have got a loan striker in for the rest of the season with an option to buy but we didn't, why do you think that was then? Need I remind you that one in one out as confirmed by Mauricio turned into two out none in.

We could have got a loan striker in for the rest of the season with an option to buy but we didn't, why do you think that was then?

Because Gallagher performed much better vs Arsenal than MP had perhaps anticipated....would be one plausible explanation.

Because Gallagher performed much better vs Arsenal than MP had perhaps anticipated....would be one plausible explanation.

He did perform quite well,he also missed 2 easy chances, no doubt down to overeagerness, pity that he's had this family bereavement of late, however you'd have to assume that he was

playable against West Ham and it wasn't what Lambert was doing on the field that would have kept Gallagher off of it for 80 minutes. Whole situation has become confused because Lambert needs junking if were going to get anywhere better this season.

Osvaldo had been acting up since god knows when, Cortese going was obviously the final straw for him, had we not been negociating loans to Italy for him long before Cortese's departure was finally announced ?. We could have got a loan striker in for the rest of the season with an option to buy but we didn't, why do you think that was then? Need I remind you that one in one out as confirmed by Mauricio turned into two out none in.

January is a difficult month to buy anyone decent, let alone someone decent on a loan with a view to buy. Pochettino said he was impressed with Gallagher. You earlier dismissed him as just an 18 year old, are you not happy with Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Chambers getting starts in the Premier League? Perhaps you should trust the coaches judgement a little more?

January is a difficult month to buy anyone decent, let alone someone decent on a loan with a view to buy. Pochettino said he was impressed with Gallagher. You earlier dismissed him as just an 18 year old, are you not happy with Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Chambers getting starts in the Premier League? Perhaps you should trust the coaches judgement a little more?

Shaw (although personally I'd take Chelsea's money and replace him with Kurzawa from Monaco at a quarter of the price) and Chambers yes, Ward Prowse I can well do without, nowhere near good enough for my liking, think he's a bit full of himself actually.

Shaw and Chambers yes, Ward Prowse I can well do without, nowhere near good enough for my liking, think he's a bit full of himself actually.

Well thats ridiculous, he has played in 30 games for us this season (3rd highest in the squad) for good reason... he is an outstanding prospect. Yes, a lot of those are sub appearances but he has a number of good players ahead of him and is solid squad member of a top half club. If Shaw and Chambers start as teenagers for us, Ward-Prowse a regular in the match day squad, why are you then dismissive out of hand for an 18 year old striker (Gallagher) being back up for us if the coaches think he is capable? Shouldn't players be judged on their own merit rather than their age?

"Full of himself" really? What makes you think that? Comes across as extremely level headed and well spoken to me.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Well thats ridiculous, he has played in 30 games for us this season (3rd highest in the squad) for good reason... he is an outstanding prospect. Yes, a lot of those are sub appearances but he has a number of good players ahead of him and is solid squad member of a top half club. If Shaw and Chambers start as teenagers for us, Ward-Prowse a regular in the match day squad, why are you then dismissive out of hand for an 18 year old striker (Gallagher) being back up for us if the coaches think he is capable? Shouldn't players be judged on their own merit rather than their age?
JWP is a weak link for me as well to be honest, yes, a bit of potential there, but he doesn't offer enough going forward or is strong enough defensively for us.

trouble is MLG I'm a bit of a knob where footballers are concerned, I'd give you 20 JWPs for one Noble or Nolan, I want Saints to have good players now not in 10 years time , say what you like but I've no time whatsover for JWP, to me he is weak and wishy washy and I can't see him ever getting much better.

Ward Prowse I can well do without, nowhere near good enough for my liking, think he's a bit full of himself actually.

I'm sorry? But where from your Chateau in The Dordogne, or wherever, do you come by that little gem?

You really have turned yourself into "Alpine-lite" in the last few months, haven't you?

JWP is a weak link for me as well to be honest, yes, a bit of potential there, but he doesn't offer enough going forward or is strong enough defensively for us.

trouble is MLG I'm a bit of a knob where footballers are concerned, I'd give you 20 JWPs for one Noble or Nolan, I want Saints to have good players now not in 10 years time , say what you like but I've no time whatsover for JWP, to me he is weak and wishy washy and I can't see him ever getting much better.

He is only 19 years old ffs and you've both written him off already! How many 19 year olds play 30 games (by late February) for a top half Premier League side and are starters in the England under 21 side? He is technically superb, yes he's not going to beat a player by dribbling past him at pace, but his crossing is up their with the best in the Premier League (which the stats back up this season). His corners and set pieces are also superb. I'm really not sure what more you expect from a 19 year old squad player?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Football is all about opinions I guess...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/04/southampton-james-ward-prowse-england-world-cup

What Ward-Prowse does better than almost anyone else is cross the ball. Despite only starting half of his club's league games (and coming off the bench in all the others bar one), he has delivered more crosses than any other Premier League player this season. It is certainly not the only thing he does – he has made more tackles than midfielders as tigerish as Arsenal's Jack Wilshere, for example, despite starting fewer matches - but crossing is what makes him stand out most. He has such fizz and accuracy with his right foot that it is difficult to avoid comparison with his chief idol, David Beckham

I'm sorry? But where from your Chateau in The Dordogne, or wherever, do you come by that little gem?

You really have turned yourself into "Alpine-lite" in the last few months, haven't you?

It is a personal opinion, can't ever see him getting very far in top class football, he is too small and too weak to play in the position that he does, I've always had that opinion about him, it's nothing new. If we want to compete at the top level, which I presume that we do, we need far better players than JWP. Which is why so many seemed to want Banega and players like that I suppose, or this Hunt fella that we're supposed to have already done a deal for. To me every time that he's been given an important role JWP has been found wanting, like at Sunderland in the Cup or Everton away.

He is only 19 years old ffs and you've both written him off already! How many 19 year olds play 30 games (by late February) for a top half Premier League side and are starters in the England under 21 side? He is technically superb, yes he's not going to beat a player by dribbling past him but his crossing is up their with the best in the Premier League (which the stats back up this season). His corners and set pieces are also superb. I'm really not sure what more you expect from a 19 year old squad player?
Where have I written him off? He's ok as a squad player I agree, but nothing more than that at the moment, hopefully he can develop a bit over the next couple of years.

It is a personal opinion, can't ever see him getting very far in top class football, he is too small and too weak to play in the position that he does, I've always had that opinion about him, it's nothing new. If we want to compete at the top level, which I presume that we do, we need far better players than JWP. Which is why so many seemed to want Banega and players like that I suppose, or this Hunt fella that we're supposed to have already done a deal for. To me every time that he's been given an important role JWP has been found wanting, like at Sunderland in the Cup or Everton away.

His passing, crossing, corners and free-kicks are Beckham like. The stats show he is possibly the best crosser in the Premier League despite not starting many games. He has a huge future, don't write him off at 19 years old ffs.

He is technically superb with both feet and the England coaching staff have very high hopes for him with Hodgson mentioning him as a potential England senior player.

Plus...

Edited by Matthew Le God

Sure, he's a good crosser and his set-pieces are very good, but they're not enough in isolation. And despite breaking those records, how many assists has he got this year?

Two I think, free kick for Fonte's goal home to Sunderland and one for JRod's equaliser at Stoke, not sure that it was a free kick or corner though.