Sunderland away to Brighton or hull

Roger

Only for systems which are inherently unstable.

Why aren't the lottery numbers the same every week?

If you stir a bowl full of balls without being able to see them will you position them in exactly the same position and then pick the same balls in the same order even if the 24 hours prior to that moment have been different for you?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Why aren't the lottery numbers the same every week?

If you stir a bowl full of balls without being able to see them will you position them in exactly the same position and then pick the same balls in the same order even if the 24 hours prior to that moment have been different for you?

That has nothing to do with chaos theory. People have a tendency to be predictable, ask Derren Brown.

Will us losing / beating sunderland effect this weeks lottery draw? No, so why would it effect the cup draw

Because different factors change the placement of the lottery balls meaning you get a different outcome even if the situation looks the same each week. The same applies to a cup draw, the person putting the balls in the bowl, stirring them and picking them out would use different hand movements if they have experienced different things in the previous 24 hours.

Because different factors change the placement of the lottery balls meaning you get a different outcome even if the situation looks the same each week. The same applies to a cup draw, the person putting the balls in the bowl, stirring them and picking them out would use different hand movements if they have experienced different things in the previous 24 hours.

Try this: http://www.lottery.co.uk/statistics/

Are these results significant?

No, it didn't affect the draw in any way, but we were eliminated yesterday so we shall never know who we might have drawn in the next round because we're not in it.

You do realise that is what my point is, and it is explained by the butterfly effect. So why were you arguing against me when you've said to Glasgow you agree with me?

They weren't related to my post and I thought we had dealt with them earlier.

Yes they are, and no you hadn't.

The lottery ball all start in seemingly the same location, yet it is human influence that positions them and starts the draw. The lives of those that have an influence on the balls in the draw will influence how the balls are positioned and which are drawn. Similar applies to a football cup draw.

Yes they are, and no you hadn't.

The lottery ball all start in seemingly the same location, yet it is human influence that positions them and starts the draw. The lives of those that have an influence on the balls in the draw will influence how the balls are positioned and which are drawn. Similar applies to a football cup draw.

The lottery balls are selected by machine, there is only a very slight human input which could equally be performed by machine.

No, it's nothing to do with the butterfly effect, more a philosophical consideration, maybe Determinism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

This is a far more extreme versions than actually events, but is to explain a concept and why you are fundamentally wrong to say these things are predetermined.

Lets say former Newcastle player Rob Lee really wanted Sunderland to lose. When Lallana hit in the winning goal he celebrated wildly and trapped his finger and broke it. He went to hospital and had two fingers strapped together.

That is clearly going to effect how he puts the balls in the bag and selects them compared to if Sunderland won and his hand was okay. He would pick different balls in each scenario.

A lesser version of that actually happened, but the broken finger tale was to illustrate the point more clearly.

Edited by Matthew Le God

This is a far more extreme versions than actually events, but is to explain a concept and why you are fundamentally wrong to say these things are predetermined.

Lets say former Newcastle player Rob Lee really wanted Sunderland to lose. When Lallana hit in the winning goal he celebrated wildly and trapped his finger and broke it. He went to hospital and had two fingers strapped together.

That is clearly going to effect how he puts the balls in the bag and selects them compared to if Sunderland won and his hand was okay. He would pick different balls in each scenario.

For the simplistic amongst us, me included, can you please confirm MLG, would we have been the same numbered ball in the draw today as Sunderland were ?

I'm not saying they were predetermined, just that the outcome of the match and the outcome of the draw are two totally unconnected events. The outcome of the draw (sequence of balls) was just as likely no matter who won or drew.

A lesser version of that actually happened, but the broken finger tale was to illustrate the point more clearly.

How come when I used to play FM and forgot to save after a cup draw, I used to get drawn against the same team when I restarted from the last saved point?

Edited by shurlock

I'm not saying they were predetermined, just that the outcome of the match and the outcome of the draw are two totally unconnected events. The outcome of the draw (sequence of balls) was just as likely no matter who won or drew.

The are connected because the people that put the balls in the bag, put the balls in the bowl, stir the balls and picked out the balls had a different 24 hours prior to the draw in the two scenarios of Sunderland winning or Saints winning.

Do you not agree that in my extreme broken example the outcome would have been different if Rob Lee couldn't grasp the balls in the same way had his figure been okay?

For the simplistic amongst us, me included, can you please confirm MLG, would we have been the same numbered ball in the draw today as Sunderland were ?

Even if they were that wouldn't mean the draw would automatically happen the same way. The events of the previous 24 hours would be different in both scenarios so the balls would be in different places after stirring each time and would lead to people taking out different balls.

It doesn't need to be anything major. Rob Lee on seeing Sunderland out of the cup would have even slightly altered his behaviour yesterday, that in turn would mean everything he did afterwards would have been slightly different. Not just Rob Lee, but it would have a knock effect to everyone on the planet even though it seems trivial.

Don't you just mean that hindsight is a beautiful thing?

Are people being deliberately obtuse or genuinely not understanding this?

What with the massive over reaction to yesterday's result, the proliferation of the forum ass holes derailing every thread, and my favorite - a facebook page detailing the contract details of people at the club!

This place has reached a new low. Shame.

MLG is never going to get that level of nuance.

Hilarious that he is rambling about Chaos theory while at the same time forces a link two events that are utterly unconnected.

A football match and a random drawing of eight balls a day later. Utterly unconnected unless, like MLG you force a connection.

Of the multi million events that have impacted how that draw played out - from the person bringing the balls out of storage, the atmospheric pressure in Wembley, Rob Lee's nerves, the level of moistueriser on Olly Lee's hands - the result of a match hundreds of miles and many hours ago becomes utterly irrelevent. As relevent to that moment as, say, the colour of some shoes bought by an old woman in Lincoln last Monday.

Well done MLG.

Edited by CB Fry

What with the massive over reaction to yesterday's result, the proliferation of the forum ass holes derailing every thread, and my favorite - a facebook page detailing the contract details of people at the club!

Good job you're online now to raise the level then isn't it. Oh no wait, just whinging as usual

Bet you it ends up a Sunderland - sheff utd semi too!

Definitely looks ops like saints could have had a couple of trips to wembley. Would have capped off a good season.

Be honest, will anyone bother going to saints cup games next season? What's the point?

Not with MP in charge no.

Interestingly (yes, really) you can influence the choice of ball by something such as temperature or surface finish. A warmer ball is more likely to be chosen than a cold one, say.

I think Rob Lee behaved differently knowing Sunderland was in the hat.

God bless MLG

Good job you're online now to raise the level then isn't it. Oh no wait, just whinging as usual

It's just that tiny glimmer of hope, however small, that something might change if you speak up if you don't like something. If i don't comment, I can't complain when this place eventually disappears up its own arse.

It's like the butterfly effect, one person might read my post and think, yeah that's about right and they might challenge one of the clowns and so it carrys on and before we know it the mods realise that the £5s are drying up and the curry night is cancelled. Who knows where it will go?

Thanks for your input though. Good to keep the issue on the table so to speak.

Cheers.

This thread is evidence, if ever it were needed, that most of the posters on this are entirely stupid. And I'm not talking about Matthew Le God or trousers, who I happen to think are complete arses, but are entirely correct on this matter.

I mean, the level to which people are prepared to dismiss a very sound scientific theory on the grounds that it doesn't sit with their angry view that "Saints would have won the cup if we hadn't lost yesterday" is impressive to say the least. And the fact that some are actually taking the p*ss out of MLG is frankly embarrassing for them, their families and anyone who happens to count them as friends.

On the plus side, it's f*cking entertaining to watch such stupidity in action. A bit like visiting the zoo and watching monkeys flicking their own faeces around and eating it whilst still thinking that they are the apex of evolution.

Carry on, guys. You are doing a sterling job.

And MLG/trousers: don't mistake this as me thinking that you aren't complete c*ckles.

This thread is evidence, if ever it were needed, that most of the posters on this are entirely stupid. And I'm not talking about Matthew Le God or trousers, who I happen to think are complete arses, but are entirely correct on this matter.

I mean, the level to which people are prepared to dismiss a very sound scientific theory on the grounds that it doesn't sit with their angry view that "Saints would have won the cup if we hadn't lost yesterday" is impressive to say the least. And the fact that some are actually taking the p*ss out of MLG is frankly embarrassing for them, their families and anyone who happens to count them as friends.

On the plus side, it's f*cking entertaining to watch such stupidity in action. A bit like visiting the zoo and watching monkeys flicking their own faeces around and eating it whilst still thinking that they are the apex of evolution.

And MLG/trousers: don't mistake this as me thinking that you aren't complete c*ckles.

Fret ye not. I'm never mistaken.

Now look: The Butterfly Effect is a very limited theory that had no place in FA Cup draws. When Lorenz developed it in connection with his efforts at weather prediction it was an interesting intellectual exercise to try to explain the sensitivity of his model to small changes in its initial parameters instead of trying to find out why his model was so touchy in the first place. It, and Chaos Theory, have their place in certain fields but balls in a bag is not one of them. I am certainly not dismissing the theory nor the views of any other poster.

This. As disappointed as I am with the management and team for yesterday's non performance, this forum has reached new depths. I'm so glad that I am now just a lurker (and laugher) on here, but I also feel sorry for the people who own and run the site. What was once a quite interesting, welcoming and entertaining place to spend time and debate sensibly has degenerated into a quite juvenile and intimidating site dominated by a few posters who it appears will stop at nothing to make thier mark on the www.

You can all knock yourselves out giving me grief now, but don't expect me to waste time replying - as I said before, I'm now only a '3 a day' member, best move I made in a long time.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

This. As disappointed as I am with the management and team for yesterday's non performance, this forum has reached new depths. I'm so glad that I am now just a lurker (and laugher) on here, but I also feel sorry for the people who own and run the site. What was once a quite interesting, welcoming and entertaining place to spend time and debate sensibly has degenerated into a quite juvenile and intimidating site dominated by a few posters who it appears will stop at nothing to make thier mark on the www.

You can all knock yourselves out giving me grief now, but don't expect me to waste time replying - as I said before, I'm now only a '3 a day' member, best move I made in a long time.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Agree with every word of the above. The sane and rational people get shouted down by the idiots. As the saying goes: don't bother arguing with an idiot, they've had far more practice than you and will just shout you down.

Having said that, to go from wishing saints had got through to the draw v Brighton or Hull to a detailed argument on chaos theory takes some doing. I think Chris Donald must have met Matthew le God at some point in the past, and was inspired to come up with the character Mr Logic:

mrlogic.jpg

This thread is amazing! What are people banging on about the good old days for? This is the good old days. Rob Lee vigorously fingering someone after the lama scored the winner. Baby Jesus shooting whitey grandad's grandad and then bringing him back to life. MLG claiming just cause something is thought, it is real (they used to teach that the world was flat MLG). This is a golden thread.

It does some days bear, it depends on how long Rob Lee takes to brush his teeth and his recovery from fingering injury.

I'm with MLG, doesn't anyone watch Ashton Kitcher movies ffs?

dunno if that movie proved his point, no matter how many times he went back he never got to bang amy smart. Sounds like predetermination. I spose he did stop that old man fiddling with his junk tho.

Still as the saying goes, be careful of what ur wishing because people will shout you down