For a club our size can anyone name

Barry Sanchez

Well, I am content just to be in the top league, giving the big clubs the 'odd bloody nose' I would have thought our recent fall to League 1 was enough to stop people taking for granted what we have now.

To be a lap dog and the occasional nuisance, knock yourself out champ, we have been doing that for over a 100 years, I want some silverware not an every other year shock upset, thats pathetic.

To be a lap dog and the occasional nuisance, knock yourself out champ, we have been doing that for over a 100 years, I want some silverware not an every other year shock upset, thats pathetic.

So why do fans of clubs like Rochdale, Barnsley, Accrington, or Doncaster bother to turn up to watch their teams ?

We weren't very big at all between c1910 and c1966.

Middle sized clubs could win a lot of stuff in those c56 years.

Sadly, us getting biggish (c.1981?) and us rising from the grave, coincided with other bigger teams getting massive.

That = we don't get silverware.

So why do fans of clubs like Rochdale, Barnsley, Accrington, or Doncaster bother to turn up to watch their teams ?

That could be said for an awful lot of teams fans, why? Tribalism, love of the game, tradition, love of the club, many factors but the issue is here we have or had an opportunity they would die for and we threw it away, not by the result as that does not matter, its in the fact of not trying, it sends out a Manhcester Unitedesque attitude to the Cup, so much so we did not regardless of what Sunderland did deserve to go through.

That could be said for an awful lot of teams fans, why? Tribalism, love of the game, tradition, love of the club, many factors but the issue is here we have or had an opportunity they would die for and we threw it away, not by the result as that does not matter, its in the fact of not trying, it sends out a Manhcester Unitedesque attitude to the Cup, so much so we did not regardless of what Sunderland did deserve to go through.

An opportunity they would die for? We have exactly the same opportunity next year diva.

So why did you start supporting Saints, and when ? Was it because 'I want some silverware' as you stated in post #54 ? If so, why not pick Man Utd or Chelsea ?

If the original poster could list all the clubs he or she considers to be bigger than Southampton, it would make life a lot easier. A few good shouts have been made but they seem to have been shot down in flames. I went by ground size and how long they spent in top flight football. However if you are going to limit to recent history, there needs to be a date from when the comparison can start.

a less successful one?

I ask this due to the recent complete lack of respect shown by the club at actually winning something, I dont think many could complain if we put out our best side played awfully and lost as there would be no excuse. For a club our size we should unless at this stage of the season struggling in the League make the Cup a priority over the League.

So back to the point is there another club in this Country that has such fantastic support and size and yet has achieved so little in terms of silverware.

Please dont turn this into a thread about trolling etc etc as this is a genuine question that deserve merit as yesterday had shown do the club actually want to win trophies or do their priorities lie solely with the Premier League and the position we finish? If so they should be fair and honest and tell us of their intentions as we would be buying a product as they call it undr false pretences.

We are the least successful club in the country for our size, bar none !

We do not respect our fanbase in the cups, ever !

I have no idea why I have bought season tickets for the last 30 odd years, maybe I should start supporting the Skates like you Barry !

Hope this makes you feel a little better !

Great thread BTW !