So finishing above Man U is more important than silverware?

Fitzhugh Fella

What if finishing as high as possible in the league provided Mopo with extra funds to strengthen the squad for the following season and beyond? Would that be OK?.

This is a very good question, but for what gain? Will we be better prepared to win the cup next year? I don't see a steady rise into the top four, we will lose our best players, so when you have a chance to win a cup you have to take it. That 2003 side had bridge taken from it and look how quickly we went backwards.

No, if blame is levelled anywhere it should be on our midfield and front-line players for such a poor showing. Particularly Lambert who should be crucified for missing an open goal from 4 yards out.

Imagine if It had been Guly...

Why is there the belief that we were going to win the cup anyway this season? Before Pochettino's "woeful" selection (using entirely regular first teamers, heaven forbid!), why were so many adamant that we were going to win it? We've only won the FA Cup once in 128 years for a reason.

At the end of the day, it wasn't a bad selection, it was a bad performance. Every team has them, we lost to a wonder goal and missed a sitter - if Lambert had tapped that open goal in we'd have them to come to our place and you lot wouldn't be moaning half as much. Utter, utter madness on here.

I've been involved with and watched football for near on 45 years and in all that time most pro level teams rotate the squad for cup games to some extent. It should be expected and particularly by the brave souls who travel away. Having Boruc in goal would have made little little difference...I doubt he would have had better game to be fair...Davis made a couple of great saves. No, if blame is levelled anywhere it should be on our midfield and front-line players for such a poor showing. Particularly Lambert who should be crucified for missing an open goal from 4 yards out.
Goes without saying that Lambert should have buried that sitter, but the tone of the day was set from the point the teams were announced and it was reflected in our performance, the two go hand in hand, the attitude of the management and the focus and performance of the team. I thought Davis was hit and miss all afternoon, some good saves and poor kicking, similar, but worse than Boruc, but most important is the confidence it gives the whole team, the difference between the two keepers.

Why is there the belief that we were going to win the cup anyway this season? Before Pochettino's "woeful" selection (using entirely regular first teamers, heaven forbid!), why were so many adamant that we were going to win it? We've only won the FA Cup once in 128 years for a reason.

At the end of the day, it wasn't a bad selection, it was a bad performance. Every team has them, we lost to a wonder goal and missed a sitter - if Lambert had tapped that open goal in we'd have them to come to our place and you lot wouldn't be moaning half as much. Utter, utter madness on here.

I presume you didn't watch the whole game? The whole attitude was an insult to the game.

Where is the belief that we were going to win the cup? There is just the commonly held belief, that given the position we find ourselves in, we should have made every effort we could have to win it; we didn't and that is what has disappointed so many.

On our day, this team is a match for anyone with a first 11 out on show. We are looking as if we will have a full squad to choose from for the remainder of the season, so this was a competition that we had a real realistic chance of winning - for the first time in a long, long, long time. It may never be like that again, that's why so many of us feel so fed up as it was such a missed opportunity.

You don't sound as though you made the 650 mile round trip yesterday or even watched the game live on tv. The whatever attitude of saints fans amazes me sometimes. I guess my passion for the fa cup might be misplaced these days.

Edited by Chez

On our day, this team is a match for anyone with a first 11 out on show. We are looking as if we will have a full squad to choose from for the remainder of the season, so this was a competition that we had a real realistic chance of winning - for the first time in a long, long, long time. It may never be like that again, that's why so many of us feel so fed up as it was such a missed opportunity.

That's what I can't get my head around, it wasn't realistic in the end because we couldn't and didn't do it. We couldn't even beat Sunderland yesterday, so why do people think we could have gone on and knocked a Man City or Arsenal out?

That's what I can't get my head around, it wasn't realistic in the end because we couldn't and didn't do it. We couldn't even beat Sunderland yesterday, so why do people think we could have gone on and knocked a Man City or Arsenal out?

Sunderland have done well to get to the Final of the League Cup, the only things that are certain are weplayed truly awful and we did not field our best side.

We beat city last season and ran them ragged at times this at SMS. We also ran arsenal ragged at SMS recently. They might get drawn against each other....we might not face them until the final...

Because with a decent team, the correct attitude and the right level of motivation then we would have had every chance. The reality is that the cup is treated as a low priority by the club, hence why Jesus takes the interviews and why the squad players play games. How is that offering extra motivation for the players? Fair enough, they should have played a hell of a lot better yesterday, but the entire team was a mess and played like they hadn't prepared a single jot.

Sunderland have done well to get to the Final of the League Cup, the only things that are certain are weplayed truly awful and we did not field our best side.

Not our best side, no, but players like Clyne coming in (who last season was being championed by most on here & touted for England), Wanyama, JWP and Davis (Who was decent when called upon yesterday) hardly makes a bad side. As I said above: Bad performance, not necessarily bad selection.

And Chez, no, I didn't travel to Sunderland, but then I have very little interest in the cups.

I am extremely disappointed, but amongst all this can't help thinking that the fa need to address the slump in the meaning of the cup. It's prestige mean us fans who grew up with cup final day being the biggest tv day of the year still think it's something magical. Truth is it gets you a Europa cup spot, the same as the league cup, and not a lot else. And with its tea time kick off on a weekend with league games, it's just another game on TV.

I would love to see it allocated a champions league spot, and give all clubs a real reason to prioritise it again.

That said, I'm still very disappointed at the selection and lack of passion yesterday. Our league position is sorted, and we have very little to play for, so to not give it our best shot is very poor IMO.

Not our best side, no, but players like Clyne coming in (who last season was being championed by most on here & touted for England), Wanyama, JWP and Davis (Who was decent when called upon yesterday) hardly makes a bad side. As I said above: Bad performance, not necessarily bad selection.

And Chez, no, I didn't travel to Sunderland, but then I have very little interest in the cups.

It was not our best XI so we did not give it 100%, why give it 100% in a League we can not win?

Because with a decent team, the correct attitude and the right level of motivation then we would have had every chance. The reality is that the cup is treated as a low priority by the club, hence why Jesus takes the interviews and why the squad players play games. How is that offering extra motivation for the players? Fair enough, they should have played a hell of a lot better yesterday, but the entire team was a mess and played like they hadn't prepared a single jot.

I don't think it helped that some of that squad haven't played much football together this year, and so at times looked like strangers, didn't click as well as usual, but we played a lot of first teamers. Lallana, Shaw, Yoshida, Lambert, Davies, Wanyama and Clyne are regulars in the league. Hardly as bad as people on here are making out selection wise. As you say, motivation was clearly a major issue - but then Lallana, Davies and Lambert have all said they wanted to win the cup this year, so it's a very odd one.

It's worth noting too that one of the PR guys on Twitter said that Rodriguez and Fonté were both carrying knocks, hence why they didn't start.

Edited by Beckenham Saint

He must be 25 or under, the younger Premiership/Sky fan.

They just don't excite me as much. Was at the Burnley game a few weeks back and judging by the atmosphere that day I wasn't the only one, outsung by the travelling fans all game.

Actually only seriously got into saints when we'd just been relegated to League 1, so if that makes me a "Premiership/Sky fan" then I guess that's what I am...

They just don't excite me as much. Was at the Burnley game a few weeks back and judging by the atmosphere that day I wasn't the only one, outsung by the travelling fans all game.

Actually only seriously got into saints when we'd just been relegated to League 1, so if that makes me a "Premiership/Sky fan" then I guess that's what I am...

Yes you are, the Cup win is our only piece of silverware.

Yes you are, the Cup win is our only piece of silverware.

And one that was won nearly 20 years before I was born. No matter how many times I read my copy of "in that number" or watch the match on DVD, it is difficult to get as excited by that than the brilliant football i get to watch us play week in, week out now.

Totally agree with this guy

The result could well have been the same if schniederlin, Rodrigues and say cork had started.

Sometimes the other side deserves to win, think we have to get over it and look to west ham

Why can't it be bad performance AND bad selection. Does MP have to be protected so much. Anyway in my book with the performance the buck stops with MP. We haven't beaten Sunderland all season, so if the club really wanted to progress then they would have put out a stronger team.

It complete nonsense to say we wouldn't have won the cup anyway, as a kid did you stomp home with your ball when you were losing in the park. We want to get as high up the league as possible in a competition that we have zero chance of winning but the same desire to achieve isn't afforded to a competition that we have some chance of winning. It makes no sense. I've even heard people say look at what's happened to Wigan as warning to winning he cup rather than using them as a example at how a smaller team can win it. You mention our only win and you might not realise this we were a second division team then playing against Manchester United.

And one that was won nearly 20 years before I was born. No matter how many times I read my copy of "in that number" or watch the match on DVD, it is difficult to get as excited by that than the brilliant football i get to watch us play week in, week out now.

Christ alive that will pass, all era's do, silverware is permanent.

Strange , finish above Man U and that could get the 'dreaded' Europa league place. If Man city win the league cup and the fa cup final is Arsenal/Liverpool v man city then 7 th would get a place in Europe .

What will we do for the final league game then......

play the under 18s probably to give them a taste of the big time..........

Why can't it be bad performance AND bad selection. Does MP have to be protected so much. Anyway in my book with the performance the buck stops with MP. We haven't beaten Sunderland all season, so if the club really wanted to progress then they would have put out a stronger team.

It complete nonsense to say we wouldn't have won the cup anyway, as a kid did you stomp home with your ball when you were losing in the park. We want to get as high up the league as possible in a competition that we have zero chance of winning but the same desire to achieve isn't afforded to a competition that we have some chance of winning. It makes no sense. I've even heard people say look at what's happened to Wigan as warning to winning he cup rather than using them as a example at how a smaller team can win it. You mention our only win and you might not realise this we were a second division team then playing against Manchester United.

It's a bad selection in people's eyes because we didn't win. Rodriguez and Fonte had knocks so weren't going to start. Clyne, Wanyama and JWP coming in are hardly liabilities. Jos is a weak link but with Lovren out and fonte not 100%, what other option did we have there? Same with Guly / Rodriguez. Sure we could have started McQueen but if we'd have lost people would still be slaughtering Pochettino on here. Starting lineup in my eyes was capable of winning that match, it was the performance that let us down. There was hardly any pressure, no hassling, we didn't squeeze up the pitch enough until the second half when we were already losing. We lacked our fluidity, and yes, that motivation should have come from MP. Every team has bad days though, and we have taken results from more games overall this season than losses, and so one bad performance is not too much of a worry.

As I've said elsewhere, we lost to a wonder goal. No keeper would have saved that, and we missed a tap in. If the ball had hit the side of Lambert's boot as opposed to his shin, we would have a replay at St. Mary's and this place wouldn't be in meltdown. It's funny, this place only gets this busy when we've played poorly or somethings happened that people don't like. When we beat Liverpool at Anfield or thumped Hull at our place, there wasn't this much commotion then.

Also, the stomping home analogy seems far better suited to those throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get the cup run that they demanded. I am trying to be rational and say that it's not the end of the world as some are making out.

Totally agree with this guy

The result could well have been the same if schniederlin, Rodrigues and say cork had started.

Sometimes the other side deserves to win, think we have to get over it and look to west ham

Result might have been the same but there is difference between doing everything to win and losing and just not even trying. Yesterday should have been our best possible side on the pitch players should have been rested against Hull to give us the best shot at the cup . If we had then lost few would be so upset it's the fact we didn't even try.

I don't think most people on here thought we would win the Cup. Most people thought the way the draw was panning out that it was opening up, hence a lot of pundits/experts were looking at at Saints as a good bet for a good cup run. Someone else said above look at the bigger picture, what is the bigger picture for us this season? 7th a whole place higher & finishing above man United whoope doo! I'd rather have sacrificed dropping to 9th for the chance however remote of actually winning something again. We have let slip a decent opportunity that is what people are p**sed about. I for one don't want Pochettino sacked, but he's needs to come out & realise he made a huge dropped b***ock yesterday and apologise to the 850 who travelled yesterday.

Exactly

I don't think most people on here thought we would win the Cup. Most people thought the way the draw was panning out that it was opening up, hence a lot of pundits/experts were looking at at Saints as a good bet for a good cup run. Someone else said above look at the bigger picture, what is the bigger picture for us this season? 7th a whole place higher & finishing above man United whoope doo! I'd rather have sacrificed dropping to 9th for the chance however remote of actually winning something again. We have let slip a decent opportunity that is what people are p**sed about. I for one don't want Pochettino sacked, but he's needs to come out & realise he made a huge dropped b***ock yesterday and apologise to the 850 who travelled yesterday.

Exactly again

Agree bad performance, and they should have had it in them to play better.

Not a wonder goal from our angle, it was a p!ss poor defensive comedy of errors that gave him the chance, Yoshida's feeble pass, Hoiveld weak clearance, Wanyama's 'phantom' block on the bloke.

Yes, Lambert should have equalised, but he has a fair bit 'in credit' to spare him the flak others get, Yoshida and Jos in particular are a liability. VW is coming back from injury so might be rusty but CM should have contained JC or MS.

Don't want the League Cup, don't want the FA Cup, don't want the Europa League. With this approach Saints wouldn't win a trophy in our lifetime.

What annoys me most is the lies. If you're not going for the cups, admit it. Don't let fans go to games, pay money for tickets and travel or get their hopes up. Don't send the assistant manager forward to spout lies and drivel to the fans. Sunderland were poor, the game was poor Saints were just as poor but didn't take their chances. Purely about the manager not giving a toss.

If MP is thinking of leaving in the summer, doesn't care about the cups or is just after a stepping stone then please fck off now. We're safe, I'd rather build a team under a manager that wants to win every game. Why the hell have the likes of Cork interviewed about the cup all week then leave him out? Why rest your only good keeper?

The team out there was capable of beating Sunderland and on another day might have, but from minute 1 you could tell their heads weren't right and the drive wasn't there, purely down to the manager and team selection. Idiots can drivel on about players, slag them off and question the squad but they've all proved themselves consistently in the league and all the quality is there. This was just disrespecting the cup pure and simple.

I fully understand your frustration and spoke to some of your fans in the pubs before and after the game who were livid at the team selection, but I should also point out that we made 9 changes and arguably fielded an even weaker side than you did. We also made a lot of changes in the League Cup tie but everyone (including the media) seem to be concentrating on why Southampton 'gifted' us the games. Not being funny but from where I am sitting, it looks the other way round but for the second time this season, your lot refused to take the gift.

As I said to one of your fans pre match 'may the best weakened team win'.

I am actually still annoyed at Poyet and his pre and post match comments about the league being more important don't help. The League and Cup are two distinct separate competitions and good or bad performances and results in one actually have next to no influence on the other and the sooner people wake up to this the better. Newcastle 'rested' players in their FA Cup 3rd round tie at home to Cardiff and these 'rested' players have since gone a shocking run in the league. That went well didn't it?

We have 15 games to fit in till the end of the season in just over 12 weeks. That's not fixture congestion in my book, it just a couple more games than some other teams have. Hopefully we can add two more to that list and one of those extending the season by a week.

Agree bad performance, and they should have had it in them to play better.

Not a wonder goal from our angle, it was a p!ss poor defensive comedy of errors that gave him the chance, Yoshida's feeble pass, Hoiveld weak clearance, Wanyama's 'phantom' block on the bloke.

Yes, Lambert should have equalised, but he has a fair bit 'in credit' to spare him the flak others get, Yoshida and Jos in particular are a liability. VW is coming back from injury so might be rusty but CM should have contained JC or MS.

Completely agree. I only mean the quality of the strike was unsaveable, but totally agree that it was in our hands to stop him having so much space and time.

For me, Lambert gets a lot more flack than he deserves lately, passing hasn't been great at times, but the way he collects the ball and holds up the play when necessary is a joy to watch. Was worried he was going to get a lot of stick for that miss, but it seems a lot of the blame has landed on the shoulders of MP, when, as you have outlined in your posts - there was a lot of room for improvement all over the park!

Would have liked to have seen Morgan starting, but apparently he looked knackered on Tuesday so maybe that played a factor.

We can only hope MP learns from this, many other managers are guilty of the same thing.

I do wonder whether the players and management were expecting the backlash they've got. Will MP care? Will we take cups seriously next season? Probably not.

The weird thing for me is if we are concentrating on the league we could end up 7th, which is likely to mean a Europa League place. What are we going to do then? Refuse to play in it?

, but it seems a lot of the blame has landed on the shoulders of MP, when, as you have outlined in your posts - there was a lot of room for improvement all over the park!

But its not just team selection, or just motivation is it ? It's his entire demeanour and approach to it.

Can't be bothered with the interviews or getting into the pre-match build up, although he is not alone here now of course. During most league matches he is in the technical area, on the touchline, fairly animated on occasion. At the Burnley game I even asked my son if MP was sat there (his eyesight being better than mine). Yesterday I read both he and assistant sit slumped in their seats. Presume he watched the match rather than bringing a book with him.

I do wonder whether the players and management were expecting the backlash they've got. Will MP care? Will we take cups seriously next season? Probably not.

The weird thing for me is if we are concentrating on the league we could end up 7th, which is likely to mean a Europa League place. What are we going to do then? Refuse to play in it?

What backlash ? Booing at the end ? water off duck's backs I should think.

They're probably oblivious to it, unless they are scrutinising the anguish on the internet.

But its not just team selection, or just motivation is it ? It's his entire demeanour and approach to it.

Can't be bothered with the interviews or getting into the pre-match build up, although he is not alone here now of course. During most league matches he is in the technical area, on the touchline, fairly animated on occasion. At the Burnley game I even asked my son if MP was sat there (his eyesight being better than mine). Yesterday I read both he and assistant sit slumped in their seats. Presume he watched the match rather than bringing a book with him.

The reactions yesterday, today and later today when Sunderland get drawn against a lesser team at home.

What backlash ? Booing at the end ? water off duck's backs I should think.

They're probably oblivious to it, unless they are scrutinising the anguish on the internet.

The reactions yesterday, today and later today when Sunderland get drawn at home to a lesser team. It's not like any other normal loss. But like I said MP probably won't care.

Just made it look a second rate competition with 2 disinterested sides and fans that won't keep turning up to watch reserves and a competition being disrespected.

Cups are second rate competitions.

Portsmouth's route to the 2008 FA cup final

Ipswich

Plymouth

Preston

Manchester United

West Brom

Cardiff

Southampton's route to 1976 FA cup final

Villa

Blackpool

West Brom

Bradford

Crystal Palace

Manchester United

Wigan's route to the 2013 FA cup final

Bournemouth

Macclesfield

Huddersfield

Everton

Milwall

Manchester City

Piece of silverware, big deal. Great day out for a few braindead morons.

8th in the premier league is a far more impressive achievement.

Ipswich

Plymouth

Preston

Manchester United

West Brom

Cardiff

Villa

Blackpool

West Brom

Bradford

Crystal Palace

Manchester United

Bournemouth

Macclesfield

Huddersfield

Everton

Milwall

Manchester City

Yeah I agree, the medals and trophy you receive for 8th is amazing. I doubt it will fit in our trophy cabinet, seeing as we finished 8th not so long ago either! It's something which will be remembered for decades and decades, the year Southampton fought to finish mid-table. Agreed.

Ipswich

Plymouth

Preston

Manchester United

West Brom

Cardiff

Villa

Blackpool

West Brom

Bradford

Crystal Palace

Manchester United

Bournemouth

Macclesfield

Huddersfield

Everton

Milwall

Manchester City

We should arrange an open top bus parade for our 8th place finish so you and a handfull of other d!cks from here can line the streets and have a party.

Result might have been the same but there is difference between doing everything to win and losing and just not even trying. Yesterday should have been our best possible side on the pitch players should have been rested against Hull to give us the best shot at the cup . If we had then lost few would be so upset it's the fact we didn't even try.

That's what upsets me. I'm not comfortable supporting a club that doesn't go into every game wanting to win it.

Ipswich

Plymouth

Preston

Manchester United

West Brom

Cardiff

Villa

Blackpool

West Brom

Bradford

Crystal Palace

Manchester United

Bournemouth

Macclesfield

Huddersfield

Everton

Milwall

Manchester City

bite rating 9/10 well done

very mixed opinions here, but TBF I do agree that longer term; a trophy, top 6 or a Euro qualification should be our real aim.

However, after last season's relegation worries, and the very surprising start to this season, I do think that finishing 8th, or a little better would be a satisfactory season

For those of us who have suffered decades with the indignity of losing out to ManU (with the exception of 1976, of course) I am pleased to see them descend to the levels of " an ordinary Prem. " side,

likewise with Tottenham would always be top of my hate list ( if I had one - that is). I would regard finishing above Man U and Tottenham some sort of a " moral success " before moving on to greater things.

Another reason being that our rapid success has yet to " settle properly " with some fans, many of whom didn't see us getting out of the Championship in less than three seasons.

Although the playing staff seem to have the right level of confidence. Our recent " clear-outs " in the last two transfer windows (someone quoted ....21 players) isn't over yet.

Not surprising considering our meteoric rise since 2009. There will be more.... and I hope to see our future with a stronger, more skilful set of players who aren't in the first team squad yet.

WHO?.... .I hear some people saying.

Aside from his maniacal outburst, I still rate Boruc very highly but we do need another quality keeper. (Thanks KD ....and all that, but I don't see Gazzaniga as better either.)

The full back situation seems OK - even if the Shaw transfer to ..whoever takes place.), - he'll be a hard act to follow.

We need another (if not two) dependable CB's. Lovren , of course and (though I've been critical in the past).Fonte is playing as well as I can recall, but Jos is on the way out, though maybe not Yoshida yet.

Despite his fantasttic stats. I can't see Schneiderlin being here in 2-3 years time. He won't, it seems, get to play for France under the present French coach and is surely worthy of greater things elsehwere.

Lallana, of course and even Steve Davis (what a good buy he was) are good for a few seasons but I'm still concerned that the excellent Jack Cork may go, whilst I'm still not 100% sold on Wanyama.

Ramirez seems to have lost his way, whilst JWP has lost that " edge " he had in his earlier games, and he's begiining to look ordinary, though he surely has a good future.

Osvaldo was going to be the " new Rickie Lambert " but that's all finished now and it leaves Jay Rod still looking for a long-term strike partner up front, (although I'm surprised Guly is still here).

I hope to see RL doing a....Teddy Sheringham / Kevin Phillips - type role and being a good impact player coming off the bench, but the fact remains, it'll take a "special " sort of player to replace him.

There are too many " gaps " and not enough depth on the bench. Of course, we're all enthusiastic about the Academy prospects, but how many will become the next Shaw or Chambers (or AOC, or Bale)?

Consider the " promising names " that have fallen by the wayside in recent seasons; Matt Paterson, Oscar Gobern, Joseph Mills, Ryan Doble, Harlee Dean, Reeves, Sam Hoskins are the first that come to mind.

Frankly, I'm concerned about our squad line-up fornext season as we don't have any " up-and-coming " Academy lads capable of Prem. standard in all positions, we need more quality everywhere.

Arsenal... and Chelsea don't have regular first teams, they have an amazingly deep squad (few of whom are from their own Academies) and can play a changed team every match if required. I don't think this present Saints squad (good as it is) is ready for bigger things YET, and so another season, or two... won't do any harm until we build a new, where we have real depth and quality, even ON THE BENCH, without people sounding off that " someone " wants a transfer because he hasn't played for four matches.

Sorry to the rest of you, but I'm reasonably content to be 8th (at present) and what the Sunderland game did was to show up our key deficiencies.

Three games in a week is not unusual for the " top sides " to handle for several months each season....when they are chasing a League title, a Euro trophy and still be in the later stages of a couple of cup competitions, but as we saw yesterday, we haven't reached that standard YET.

Edited by david in sweden

Ipswich

Plymouth

Preston

Manchester United

West Brom

Cardiff

Villa

Blackpool

West Brom

Bradford

Crystal Palace

Manchester United

Bournemouth

Macclesfield

Huddersfield

Everton

Milwall

Manchester City

GONE FISHING

Altered for you you missed it out!

That's what upsets me. I'm not comfortable supporting a club that doesn't go into every game wanting to win it.

Agree you look at the player/fan reaction at the of the Arsenal Liverpool game.

Both teams went for it, great atmosphere and joy and disappointment from the players at the end.

It made our pathetic showing even more shameful.....

Agree you look at the player/fan reaction at the of the Arsenal Liverpool game.

Both teams went for it, great atmosphere and joy and disappointment from the players at the end.

It made our pathetic showing even more shameful.....

Was a cracking 2nd half in particular, proper cup tie, had a bit of everything!