Back From The Game Thread.

View From The Top

Well that's one less thing we can criticise Pompey fans for doing. And there was me thinking we were a slightly more intellectual fan base

I think intellect goes out the window when you've wasted your weekend travelling in **** weather and paying a fortune to sit through that pathetic performance.

Nowhere near home yet as stayed for a bit longer, not read the other threads and wont.

But after spending the best part of £200 to go I am just so angry.

Loads of people will say support the team blah blah but how about the club and fans support the supporter for a change? What message does this send to those who want to follow the team and financially will try and do so? To me it says in future save my money. At least with Mopo in charge.

I just cannot understand at all his decision to make so many changes. When we were told the line up I thought it was a wind up!

People slag off Poyet for things he has said but the guy said ages ago he would be picking a weak team. He let the fans know his priorities were elsewhere. Where as we were told we wanted a cup run. There were even articles on tje OS with guys like Fonte saying how special the cup is.

The thing is I could understand the need to focus on the league games if we were in trouble or if we were still in with a shout of the top 4. But we are mid table. To think we could get top 4 this season right now is madness. Top 6 is do able but we would have to take over man utd and everton. I just cant see that happening. And even then if that is our goal why gamble on getting to Europe in 12 games when you could of done it in 3 via the cup?

It simply does not make any sense.

So for the first time in a long long time I feel let down by the club. I would not have paid the money and traveled up in terrible conditions risking my health if I knew that we did not care about the cup. That we would play so many fringe players and give debuts to even more youngsters. This was not the game to do either. The strongest team possible should have been out, the players should of been fired up, mopo should of shown passion in the technical area and tried to drive them on. They did none of those things and that is why I am angry.

As a club and as people those involved should be ashamed of the way they treated their supporters today. It isnt about winning a game of football, it is about respect and I deffinatly lost some respect for mopo and co today.

Still here. Actually don't give a toss about the money expended, just the gutless manner of defeat. That squad should have been plenty for the win but not one player fulfilled their potential.

Briefed to save themselves? Didn't care? Simply not good enough? I don't believe the latter to be possible. We had a decent chance this year. Far from nailed on, but it was there to attack. We didn't play the 'Southampton Way' today.

Of course they do but we're talking about today's FA Cup games, yes.
Chelsea put out probably their best possible team today and lost, yes that does happen. If we had lost with our best possible team then there would be no issue. But MP didn't do that.

For the guys who went today;

Few stories about mopo having a large top 8 clause / bonus! Perhaps helps explain his inept performance and attitude towards the cups.

Any of that filter through to the fans today? Supposedly fairly common knowledge within the club.

Also been told that some senior 1st team players kicked off royally after the game today, lots of shouting in the changing room

Nowhere near home yet as stayed for a bit longer, not read the other threads and wont.

Loads of people will say support the team blah blah but how about the club and fans support the supporter for a change? What message does this send to those who want to follow the team and financially will try and do so? To me it says in future save my money. At least with Mopo in charge.

I just cannot understand at all his decision to make so many changes. When we were told the line up I thought it was a wind up!

People slag off Poyet for things he has said but the guy said ages ago he would be picking a weak team. He let the fans know his priorities were elsewhere. Where as we were told we wanted a cup run. There were even articles on tje OS with guys like Fonte saying how special the cup is.

The thing is I could understand the need to focus on the league games if we were in trouble or if we were still in with a shout of the top 4. But we are mid table. To think we could get top 4 this season right now is madness. Top 6 is do able but we would have to take over man utd and everton. I just cant see that happening. And even then if that is our goal why gamble on getting to Europe in 12 games when you could of done it in 3 via the cup?

So for the first time in a long long time I feel let down by the club. I would not have paid the money and traveled up in terrible conditions risking my health if I knew that we did not care about the cup. That we would play so many fringe players and give debuts to even more youngsters. This was not the game to do either. The strongest team possible should have been out, the players should of been fired up, mopo should of shown passion in the technical area and tried to drive them on. They did none of those things and that is why I am angry.

As a club and as people those involved should be ashamed of the way they treated their supporters today. It isnt about winning a game of football, it is about respect and I deffinatly lost some respect for mopo and co today.

This sums it up for me, Any post saying other is wrong. IMO.

Had the pleasure to meet up with a couple of your fans in Jamesons spoons before the match, they had been up north for the week and taken in the Hull match as well, also met up with them briefly after the game in the Lambton Worm, and they were gutted at your team selection. Proper fans who have traveled an awful long way to watch your team and I have to say, I agree with them 100%.

We may have gone through, but I was gutted we risked it by playing a weakened side. We had no midweek game last week and none next week, so why would we wan't to 'rest' anybody?

Why you would want to is totally beyond me.

Your fans were a credit to your club (no more than I have come to expect from your lot mind, good club and proper fans).

As I said to one of your fans before leaving the pub pe game, may the best weakened team win!!:rolleyes:

I got up at 4.30am. Discovered that most of the trains were cancelled but was fortunate to get the only train leaving for London from Woking at 6.30am Poor Le God Third coming could not get any trains from Hersham so he was screwed. Got to Waterloo and then Bakerloo to Picadillly to discover all Picadilly trains delayed.Rushed out of station got a taxi(cost £12) to Kings X. Made the 8.11 to Sunderland by three minutes. Freezing cold and miserable in Sunderland. Climbed to Everest to my seat and watched utter crap. Like all those fans whop made super human efforts to go to the game we expected at least somewhere near the same effort by the team. Not often you hear boos ringing out at the end of the game but understandable. At least the Ruddles was £1.69 a pint and boy did I drink a few to erase that dross.

So so disapointing

The thing I don't get is, we looked like we were giving the cup a good go in the previous two rounds. Doesn't make sense.

Those who are now screaming bloody murder applauded MP's team selections in earlier rounds. Its not like he simply stuck two fingers at the cup -unlike say the league cup, though it served other purposes, suggesting that a number of today's choices were 'well-intended', even if they didn't pay off.

Edited by shurlock

Those who are now screaming bloody murder applauded MP's team selections in earlier rounds. Its not like he simply stuck two fingers at the cup -unlike say the league cup, though it served other purposes, suggesting that a number of today's choices were 'well-intended', even if they didn't pay off.
Sorry, but what does this mean?

Respect, St Marco. All those defending MP and the team selection should read this.

Someone send this post to Pochettino

Got back home just before 12.00 last night having left at 4.30 p.m. on Friday afternoon. We had a great time apart from the bit between 3.00 p.m. and 5.00 p.m. yesterday afternoon. The locals were friendly, the beer good (and cheap) and the weather much better than down here. When I saw the team that MP put out, I didn't think it that weak - we had 2 current England internationals starting, with a potential 2 more at full back and one on the bench. We also had Steve Davis and VW in midfield + JWP. It wasn't a weak team and I held out high hopes for a victory. However, from the first minute onwards it was apparent that their hearts weren't in it. They were second to every 50/50 ball and allowed Sunderland the freedom that they seldom have given/gave other teams so far this season. We were dire and the only player who seemed to be giving it a fair crack was Clyne who often had the better of their right back when we attacked. JWP could barely muster a pass to his own teamamtes and was probably Sunderland's best midfield distributor, Vic was so far off the pace it was embarrassing and Shaw, Lallana and Lambert had probably their worst games for a long while. Guly was conspicuous by his absence and Jos as ever screwed up to assist with their goal. Apart from one great save by Kelvin at the end, he had one of his poorer games, especially his kicking to the wings which more often than not ended up amongst the vast swathes of empty seats! By the time that MS (who to be fair played well) and J-Rod came on it was too late. All in all an abject and dreadful performance. I don't know how many of us were up there (probably 700 or so) but I really hope the players and management went home with our jeers and boos ringing in their ears. It was not the defeat (we as Saints fans know better than most about defeats) but it was the manner of it and the apathy with which MP treats the FA Cup obviously fed through to his players. We've played effing Sunderland six times in the past 17 months and not got the better of them once. I really thought that we would do it yesterday but alas how wrong I was.

Also been told that some senior 1st team players kicked off royally after the game today, lots of shouting in the changing room

And why would that be then, they lost the game not the manager or was it Mauricio himself who missed a few easy chances and failed to close Gardener down correctly ? Basically all this stuff is ******, in my opinion MP will be gone this summer anyway.

Anyway the CEO needs to step up to his new pay grade and sort it out, it's his job..oh and the Ice Hockey guy as well and the obscure players agent from Austria and the chairwoman or is that charwoman.

Respect to you for making the trip. Also annoys me how the club haven't been straight at all, especially with the utter tripe brought out yesterday by Lallana suggesting this is our biggest game of the season. Utter trash.

Can't remember leaving a game as angry as I was yesterday. At the end of the match, the saints fans certainly made Poch know what they thought of the team selection. Jos seemed to think the abuse was aimed it him which was a shame.

Oh well we can put our 8th place in the trophy cabinet for generations to see in years to come. Poch should be a ashamed of himself.

I've been told that Glasgow_Saint makes it up as he goes along. Make of that what you will.

Yep, Iam pretty convinced he is a Pompey fan, all he is trying to do is getting a rise by peddling these rumours. I don't like people being banned form here but in his case I think it is time.

Can't remember leaving a game as angry as I was yesterday. At the end of the match, the saints fans certainly made Poch know what they thought of the team selection. Jos seemed to think the abuse was aimed it him which was a shame.

Oh well we can put our 8th place in the trophy cabinet for generations to see in years to come. Poch should be a ashamed of himself.

Can't say much more than this. Tried to not post yesterday but I'm still just as angry today. I'm normally over a loss by the time we're back in the pub. As you said, glad our end showed the players what we thought of the performance and the effort at the end of the game.

Respect to you for making the trip. Also annoys me how the club haven't been straight at all, especially with the utter tripe brought out yesterday by Lallana suggesting this is our biggest game of the season. Utter trash.

The thing is i genuinely believe he could have felt that way. And Shaw's interview afterwards as well sounded genuine. I think there is a very good chance the players were up for winning this, but that team selection told you what MP thought of it and that must have rubbed off on the players yesterday. Some of the players have spent this week building this game up and i doubt they did that knowing we would rest 5 senior first team players

and Jos as ever screwed up to assist with their goal.

Talk me through the goal and explain how Jos was to blame? Maya ****ed up with a dreadful pass in a dangerous area and Wanyama bottled a challenge, yet Jos gets the blame.

Talk me through the goal and explain how Jos was to blame? Maya ****ed up with a dreadful pass in a dangerous area and Wanyama bottled a challenge, yet Jos gets the blame.

Not his alone. He toed the ball away with the wrong foot instead of clearing it. All three of them had a part to play. It was a defensive shambles.