Hero to Zero !

eurosaint

My greatest memories as a Saints fan....

Last game at the Dell

Fa Cup final

JPT Final

Trip to Bucharest

Today is one of my lowest

One of your lowest!? We went out of the cup in the 5th round it's annoying but it's happened plenty of times! You're right though in terms of lows I feel exactly like I did when we got relegated from the prem and when Branfoot was manager and it seemed we lost to a lower league team in the cup every year...

Hysterical tart.

Doubt if Strachan or any of the players rate Bucharest as a high point, nor the 2003 cup final, I assume you meant the 1976 match. The truth these days is that players would rather play in the top flight and win nothing than win a cup and play in the lower leagues. Players do not have the same priorities as fans.

We have had many cup lows worse than this, Watford, Tranmere, Bristol Rovers (twice) the list goes on.

As said by many on here, a disappointment today yes, but not the end of the world nor anything like a low point in the nearly fifty years I have been following Saints, and especially in the light of what we have been through since Bucharest.

Ok I have finally decided. I can't stand it anymore. Glasgow becomes the first poster I have ever put on "ignore". Makes up a Facebook rumour then bangs on about it every other post trying to get bites....and Alpine has gone for it hook line and sinker (that bit is no surprise).....then makes up a "club insider" rumour also. Jeez

I put Glasgow on ignore yesterday as well - first time i've ever had to do that on here which is a bit sad. Wish the mods would just toughen up and ban the c*nt.

Of course people are upset. It was a great opportunity to win some silverware and MP made a huge mistake. He is still a potentially great manager but today proved he has a lot to learn. The 800+ at Sunderland today gave the team full support until the end and yes we did then "express our disappointment". Fans know when the team is not committed and it showed today. Win the next 3 games and all will be forgiven

Please mummy make the bad man go away.... He is being horrible saying that my team is not bestest in the world!! He make me cry

:lol: How the hell do you guys cope in the real world..... Hysterical tarts

hear no evil see no evil speak no evil

What a bunch of numpties on here, headed up by the biggest of the lot Glasgow. We're sat 8th in PL playing great football. So we've lost agame of football...yeah the players let themselves and the fans down. It happens. Get over yourself. Jeez.

What a completely out of touch post that is. Let's just never try and win a trophy great idea. The magic of football hey, but only spend about £900 on saints a season so shouldn't expect us to try.

What a completely out of touch post that is. Let's just never try and win a trophy great idea. The magic of football hey, but only spend about £900 on saints a season so shouldn't expect us to try.

Sure, the players were pants today. But Mopo is "hero to zero"?!?!? Come on.... grow up....spoilt brats springs to mind.

Yep. The job of the manager is to win the next game. Its as smple as that.

MP picked a poor team with many changes, and didnt seem to get the preparation right.

Very, very poor. Or deliberate.

Words fail me at some of the fragile, melodramatic and utterly bedwetting comments on here - man up ffs, we lost a cup game that we could easily have won if JWP and Rickie had connected in the way we would normally expect...deliberate????? Jeesus, worst days...I recall wondering if I'd have a club in the morning not long ago, I loved the '76 Cup win, took my lad to the JPT and had a brilliant day out, but here's a revelation - only one team a year can win each of the cup competitions...wow, this year it ain't going to be us!!!

I'm not shocked that the usual suspects are dripping their doom and gloom on every thread...failure makes their lives worthwhile and justifies their miserable semi-predictions and portents of doom...who the fluck would want to be them??

We have a great team, manager, infrastructure, I love the football we're playing - if I wanted a pot every year I'd turn plastic and 'support' a rich and established team! Happy clapper - too f******g right - I've got a lot to be happy about!!!!

Words fail me at some of the fragile, melodramatic and utterly bedwetting comments on here - man up ffs, we lost a cup game that we could easily have won if JWP and Rickie had connected in the way we would normally expect...deliberate????? Jeesus, worst days...I recall wondering if I'd have a club in the morning not long ago, I loved the '76 Cup win, took my lad to the JPT and had a brilliant day out, but here's a revelation - only one team a year can win each of the cup competitions...wow, this year it ain't going to be us!!!

I'm not shocked that the usual suspects are dripping their doom and gloom on every thread...failure makes their lives worthwhile and justifies their miserable semi-predictions and portents of doom...who the fluck would want to be them??

We have a great team, manager, infrastructure, I love the football we're playing - if I wanted a pot every year I'd turn plastic and 'support' a rich and established team! Happy clapper - too f******g right - I've got a lot to be happy about!!!!

Plastic? Read st Marcos post! People who went and go to every game aren't plastics!

Anyone saying this is one their lowest points supporting Saints doesnt do themselves any favours, I'm afraid.

The result.... No not the lowest. Knocked out of the fa cup with our best chance of a final in years.... No not the lowest

Knowing you have a manager that puts his bank balance before the club, players and fans..... Yes it's a low point for me.

Money don't make my world go round... I'm reaching out to a higher ground!

The result.... No not the lowest. Knocked out of the fa cup with our best chance of a final in years.... No not the lowest

Knowing you have a manager that puts his bank balance before the club, players and fans..... Yes it's a low point for me.

Money don't make my world go round... I'm reaching out to a higher ground!

Anyone saying this is one of their lowest points supporting Saints doesnt do themselves any favours, I'm afraid

Seen this explanation given elsewhere - its utter b*****ks. Winning the cup isn't a means to an end. It has intrinsic value -quite apart from the European qualification that comes with it.

I'm not sure it is "utter b*****ks".

A desire to avoid qualifying for the Europa Cup (MP has already - surprisingly and needlessly - publicly expressed his disdain for it) was put forward as a possible explanation for him fielding a starting eleven that most people thought would struggle - and it did. But even when it was clear (well before half time) that we needed to make changes if we were to get back into something approaching our normal high-pressure style - which you'd think he'd be anxious to do if he was keen to win, Pocchettino decided to wait until 62 minutes to do it. That - for Schneiderlin and Rodriguez - was like trying to board a moving train.

I love what MP has brought to the club, I'm ecstatic at our normal playing style, and I hope he's here a long time. He's a smart guy, but smart guys don't make mistakes like he made today (Guly in, engine room out), which - along with the delay in making changes - suggests that fielding a team that might struggle for a result wasn't entirely accidental. He didn't leave the dugout much, so he seemed okay with what was unfolding before him.

I would suggest to you that the FA Cup doesn't have much "intrinsic value" to people who didn't grow up with it, and who arrived on the scene in an era when more and more clubs don't seem to take the early stages seriously. That covers most PL managers, including MP.

If there's one flaw in Pochettino's make-up that troubles me, it's a disconnect with the average fan. He seldom acknowledges them, he still chooses not to speak directly to them in English, and, judging by today's events, he has either misread what's important to them or he's disinterested in it.

I'm not trying to excuse what happened today, just understand it. And the Europa Cup explanation is not b*****ks but quite plausible.

I'm not sure it is "utter b*****ks".

A desire to avoid qualifying for the Europa Cup (MP has already - surprisingly and needlessly - publicly expressed his disdain for it) was put forward as a possible explanation for him fielding a starting eleven that most people thought would struggle - and it did. But even when it was clear (well before half time) that we needed to make changes if we were to get back into something approaching our normal high-pressure style - which you'd think he'd be anxious to do if he was keen to win, Pocchettino decided to wait until 62 minutes to do it. That - for Schneiderlin and Rodriguez - was like trying to board a moving train.

I love what MP has brought to the club, I'm ecstatic at our normal playing style, and I hope he's here a long time. He's a smart guy, but smart guys don't make mistakes like he made today (Guly in, engine room out), which - along with the delay in making changes - suggests that fielding a team that might struggle for a result wasn't entirely accidental. He didn't leave the dugout much, so he seemed okay with what was unfolding before him.

I would suggest to you that the FA Cup doesn't have much "intrinsic value" to people who didn't grow up with it, and who arrived on the scene in an era when more and more clubs don't seem to take the early stages seriously. That covers most PL managers, including MP.

If there's one flaw in Pochettino's make-up that troubles me, it's a disconnect with the average fan. He seldom acknowledges them, he still chooses not to speak directly to them in English, and, judging by today's events, he has either misread what's important to them or he's disinterested in it.

I'm not trying to excuse what happened today, just understand it. And the Europa Cup explanation is not b*****ks but quite plausible.

I think Fonte's comments in the same postmatch press conference also revealed quite a bit about possible motivations. Specifically he observed a strong finish to the season could only help players WC prospects. Controversially, perhaps, one could argue that a consistent run in the league is more likely to impress a national manager than a lucky passage to a cup final, regardless what fans want.

IMO, there's such a disconnect between a 5th round tie and European football -to assume that one will naturally lead to the other is pretty presumptuous- that it is hard to see how a remote competition would figure prominently in the here and now of a cup tie. Can you realistically see us holding back not to qualify for Europe should a chance present itself in the league (7th place would be enough on some permutations)? Of course, even if we were to qualify for Europe via a cup or the league, nobody would force us to play a full-strength side, so its downsides would only as bad as we chose them to be.

Totally agree its a shame the cup has less intrinsic value for people who didnt grow up with it -and as you say its not even a domestic vs. foreign mindset, though for British players/managers the division is generational and probably means less for parts of our squad.

I agree there wasn't the same managerial urgency we have seen in other games (remember Villa where he subbed JWP after 20 or so mins or Fulham). That said, the game didn't cry out for changes in the sense that Sunderland were murdering us or that we hit a brickwall tactically. Like the frog in boiling water, the result crept up on us and once we fell behind it became hard to get out of a rut (though we had the most clearcut chances).

Perhaps Morgan and Cork would have offered more than JWP and Victor but perhaps not. They are closer to the standard of the first XI than say Jos or Fox were to the backline, even though I think JWP is vastly overrated at this moment in time. Dont need to remind you that our setup requires an intensity that is hard to sustain -most opposition fans think we tend to fade in the 2nd half of games for precisely this reason. IMO this is nonsense but back-to-back away games up north will take its toll.

I remember in the 2011/12 promotion season, for instance, how leggy we were up at Reading basically we assumed that the first XI would effortlessly put another shift in like it had done in a brutal midweeker against West Ham. For all the cryptic mumbo-jumbo Adkins spoke, he was right on the money when he noted one of most accurate predictors of promotion was depth of squad. Fatigue happens; its not an excuse. Too many first teamers were also off the boil -we rarely pressed and won second balls, and that's not just the weak link fill-ins, though Guly in the Jrod role was particularly gash, leaving Lambert and Lallana too isolated.

While I agree MP is aloof, I've seen similar body language in many league games, especially recently. He doesn't try to warm himself to the average fan but not going to lose much sleep over it.

Edited by shurlock

I am talking about our manager, on Tuesday night there was talk of fending off Real Madrid and how it was crucial that we extend his contract ASAP !

After today he has been castigated for his team selection and serious questions are being asked !

Assuming that his powers of judgement did not desert him within the space of 4 days, what is it to be ?

IMO he could have gotten away with a substandard performance if SRL had tapped in a sitter from a yard or we hadn't conceded a 'worldly' , in any case the margins are very fine !

As a self confessed 'happy clapper' (although I prefer the term true and loyal supporter!) I consider that nobody is perfect and that his decisions today were made with the best intentions and it just didn't work out as he had hoped, there are those who imply that he is motivated by bonus agreements based on league position which I don't buy !

Shame that we can be divided like this but c'est la vie and we move on ...

Yep, fickle and some acting like spoilt children..

What a bunch of numpties on here, headed up by the biggest of the lot Glasgow. We're sat 8th in PL playing great football. So we've lost agame of football...yeah the players let themselves and the fans down. It happens. Get over yourself. Jeez.

Amazing the over reaction on here but of course they are being whipped into a frenzy by the chief from

north of the border..and i bet he`s loving it

As you say a bad performance where the players let us all down but for me the craziest claim on

here is that it was all planned for us to put on the poor show..surely only a loon would think that..

Pochettino is still very much a hero.

Spot on. Ive never read so much ******** on this site in the last 24 hours than since I started posting (and Im talking about the original Saints Forever when we could talk about clothes and rucks from the past). Two under par sides played up north (neither managers seemed much interested) and the Southern side lost 1-0.We were actually let down by the Senior players anyway.Who cares. **** happens.

I just hope Sunderland dont get drawn against Sheff Utd of Forest or many beds on the South Coast will be wet in the morning and this nonsense will carry on another couple of days.

The situation regarding Pochettino and how he is regarded by the fans is this:-

He arrived as virtually an unknown to most of us, replacing a popular and successful manager in Adkins. Cortese's judgment and faith in him has proved to be justified and we have played some very attractive, exciting and entertaining football under him. In general, his team selection and match tactics have proven to be solid. Steady growth and development of the youngsters into classy players has been a revelation and naturally the expectations of fans has increased exponentially. The ambition's of Cortese to play in the Champions League were initially laughed at by those used to so many false dawns in our history and our once perpetual fight for survival.

It is against this background that the media have talked up Pochettino's growing reputation as a young and dynamic manager who could potentially manage one of the European giants in the future. It is against this background too that we fans had increased expectations of progressing further in the FA Cup, and had the potential given a bit of luck and a lot of application to win it. This is probably the one match since Pochettino's arrival where both his team selection and tactics have seriously been questioned by a large section of the fans. Whether he eventually manages a top European super club or not, there will remain the balancing act between achieving success in that Country's League and also in the Champions' League. In order to play in the CL, he will have to qualify as a top team in the league, but the measure of his management skills will be assessed by how he fares in the CL. To a lesser extent, a manager in this country has an opportunity to enhance his reputation massively by not only doing well in the league, but in producing a side capable of achieving some cup success. Whereas it is incredibly difficult to displace the top four glory teams in the league, there is the potential to do better than them in the FA Cup.

Although there were chances to have won the match but for some poor finishing, our exit will rightly be placed at Pochettino's door by most of the pundits. Yes, the players didn't seem up for it and didn't put in the effort we expected of them, but team selection, motivation of the players and the tactics during the match are the responsibility of the manager.

If Pochettino is to continue to enhance his reputation and progress, either with us, or elsewhere, his reputation has received a knock and he will need to learn from this that the FA Cup means a lot to the fans on the one hand and is an opportunity for a manager to enhance his reputation from successful campaigns.

I just hope Sunderland dont get drawn against Sheff Utd of Forest or many beds on the South Coast will be wet in the morning and this nonsense will carry on another couple of days.

Well, of course it would and justifiably so too. Why wouldn't you expect it to be so, that on paper, having beaten a Premiership rival, we were handed a match against a lower division side and an enhanced chance of progressing into the last four? And even then, there is the possibility that another lower division side would get through as well. No doubt you'd then be moaning even more at those who expressed regret that we didn't grasp the opportunity of a cup run taking us into the final with both hands by fielding our strongest team and our players not seeming up for it.

is that the nine years between him and strachan? if so he's top dog of a group in which Nigel Adkins and Paul Sturrock sit second and third who each spent only five months in charge of the club in the top flight.

Sturrock Lol hic ! How little do you know.

Spot on. Ive never read so much ******** on this site in the last 24 hours than since I started posting (and Im talking about the original Saints Forever when we could talk about clothes and rucks from the past). Two under par sides played up north (neither managers seemed much interested) and the Southern side lost 1-0.We were actually let down by the Senior players anyway.Who cares. **** happens.

The draw won't be the same as it would have been if different clubs were in the draw. Ref: the butterfly effect.

manji;1885140

Well, I'd take Hull or Brighton any day. And then of course, there will still be a lower league team left in the cup after the matches between Sheffield Utd/Notts Forest v Sheffield Weds/Charlton. If Sunderland draw one of them and go into the final, yes, you're right. The forum will go into meltdown at the opportunity we missed and rightly so.

The same "**** stirring troll" that was first on here to tell us about all of the below? At some stage you're going to have to admit..... either I'm amazing at "making stuff up" or I do just know a thing or two.

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers

• Billy Sharp

• Lovren

Well, if I had all the time in the world to scour the internet looking for gossip, I would also sound ITK. But I have this thing called work, a social life, other interests and better things to do then spend every second of the day on the internet.

Would reconmend you also try to get out more.

Well, if I had all the time in the world to scour the internet looking for gossip, I would also sound ITK. But I have this thing called work, a social life, other interests and better things to do then spend every second of the day on the internet.

Would reconmend you also try to get out more.

Not long back from playing 18 holes of golf... Does that count?

Bloomin cold today, but dry and finished with a 74 (4 over)

P.s what type of Dr are you?

You see I dont think people are over reacting. I look back at our recent victories at Fulham and Hull and although its great to pick up the points, the main benefit for me was form going into the Sunderland game. That was really all that mattered. Everything was in our favour:

- They are relgation threatened.

- They are already in a cup final.

- Most of all, we are far better than them.

Yet despite this, the manager didnt seemed to care about this game and it blatantly reflected onto the players.

Trips to Wembley are what its all about and Wembley was on a plate for us. We would of beaten Sunderland if we had played like any of our away league games and I mean any.

Yet the desire of a true football fan to experience a day out at Wembley, some of us with friends, others with family, was well off the radar of MP.

I've got a ticket for W Ham next week and I'm really not that bothered about it any more. The season is now a non-event.

Give me Adkins and 12-14th position with a passion for the cup rather than this sh1ite any day of the week. I want our club back. Stripes and reputation of being a good cup team. I would be happy to see MP go.

When have we had a reputation for being a good cup team? Why should everyones aspirations come down to a maximum of 6 games a season?

It's fine to be annoyed at yesterdays performance, it was ****e but MP out and wanting the club back stuff is laughable.