Ludicrous team selection. Utter madness.

Glasgow_Saint

Why pal?

Fried made a fool of himself again.

Our precious petals can't hack 3 games in a week, how are they meant to cope in the WC where that is the norm, so runs Fried's argument.

But unlike the prem, WC players have a month or so to recuperate and prepare. Sunderland was our 11th game in less than two months.

Rather different situations. No?

You just seem to make stuff up to argue about, pal. You've done it with CBF, you've done it with me, with Turkish, with others I'm just not sure why. You're clearly an intelligent fella, you just seem to resort to stupidity too often than you should.

Win, lose or draw today you have to ask why!?

No game for a week, safe in mid table.

Complete confusion on this one

Fuming!!

Completely consistent selection in line with our approach for both cups, so no reason for confusion. You may be disappointed because we did not put a strong team out but the confusion is all yours.

Going on this

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-race-for-seventh-place.382736/

Don't know the ins and outs though.

The ins and outs lad is your post is reliant on others and not our own, its speculation and a load of clappy rubbish, if we won the Cup we would be in Europe, are we going to finsih 5th to assure ourselves?

Dont answer that lad, the 6th and 7th spots are speculation and do you for a minute think its going to happen and Pochettino os trying to do that instead of winning automatic European entry, again dont answer that, the hole will get deeper.

Still not quite getting the argument that ''it was good we lost, and we've come through this unscathed, ready to kick on in the league etc.'

The performance was so bad that it could easily have a knock on effect to our league performances, the players confidence will have taken a big battering today. There's utterly no benefit to come out of us losing this game, not entirely why some people are suggesting there is.

Absolutely spot on and tbh id rather go to wembley than finish 7th.

And allowed us to make more Lambert-style opportunities throughout the match, rather than the last 10 mins.

Perhaps it would be interesting to see how our team compares to every other cup team this weekend?

defence

first choice RB

first choice LB

after seeing pics of Fonte's cuts possibly first choice available CB pairing (and as so keen on cup had him on bench ;) )

midfield 5

3 first choice

2 changes

Guly for JayRod (although people moan about JayRod I would have wanted him to start)

JWP for Morgan (although loads moaning he has looked tired and limped off I would have wanted him to start) His replacement has played 24 times this season, 12 starting)

Cf

first choice

So could easily be that that was 2 players off our strongest available outfield team.

I wonder if any other team will play as strong a side this weekend?

Disappointing game but probably as much to do with just one of those days it doesn't click, long away trip, midweek game when they rested, them scoring a good goal, Lallana, Lambert and JWP all missing easier chances than their goal, heavy rain /wind etc.

But this won't stop the half wit rants about foreign manager insulting fans, throwing game as he doesn't want europe. If you travelled and don't feel the players gave enough I feel for you, but if you feel insulted by Guly playing...well surprised you managed to get there!

Oh do shut up. I've been very happy with mp but no one can say he royally ****ed up today. Team selections and our general approach wasn't right at all and we've missed a fab opportunity if getting at least to wembley.

You're clearly an intelligent fella,

I saw someone else post that about him. What is the criteria? Using the word mong?

FWIW CBFry and Turkish used to annoy me and thought they appeared bullies but actually sympathise when dealing with some of the plums on here.

Completely consistent selection in line with our approach for both cups, so no reason for confusion. You may be disappointed because we did not put a strong team out but the confusion is all yours.

Not so. Other cup games earlier this season we had something else to worry about. There was a chance we could get drawn into a relegation fight or compete for a European slot. Today there was no such distractions at all so absolutely no need to rest players. MoPo hasn't made too many errors but today was one. Also, I hope he's learnt what none of our previous managers seem not to have done and see Guly for what he is. How does Guly still get a game?

Soooo disappointed in my team today. Everything about this had the feel of a pre-season friendly...

That's the next three months mapped out now though isn't it ?

A point lost on the decision maker today, is that a cup bring, although it can be a distraction builds momentum, excitement and a buzz around the club which can be taken into league matches. Gates increase etc etc.

I think many remembering 1984 will agree that the league, even though we finished as runners up, was a little hollow after the semi-final defeat.

The ins and outs lad is your post is reliant on others and not our own, its speculation and a load of clappy rubbish, if we won the Cup we would be in Europe, are we going to finsih 5th to assure ourselves?

Dont answer that lad, the 6th and 7th spots are speculation and do you for a minute think its going to happen and Pochettino os trying to do that instead of winning automatic European entry, again dont answer that, the hole will get deeper.

Did I claim we would finish 7th or higher? Just saying its a factual possibility.

We huff and puff against a champ side and a de facto L1 side and all of a sudden we're rueing what ifs. Had we done a Wigan last season and gone away and beat Everton, maybe talk of Wembley might have been less cringeworthy. But we haven't.

Am bitterly disappointed we're out but it felt like a pipedream and as such not going to lose much sleep over it.

On the one hand I agree and understand the feelings of most on this thread, however, let's just sit back and think about this, say we went all the way and qualified for Europe; how many believe that we have the depth of squad to compete in the premiership and Europe next season, I for one do not believe we have, on top of that look at the extra cost incurred as the revenue is not that great unless you make the final.

Who cares, I get the chance of another Bucharest style saints trip and that would be amazing. Life time memories right there.

I saw someone else post that about him. What is the criteria? Using the word mong?

FWIW CBFry and Turkish used to annoy me and thought they appeared bullies but actually sympathise when dealing with some of the plums on here.

Should I be worried about your interest in me?

Tell me how I should play it.

Ta.

Edited by shurlock

disappointed by the attitude from MoPo today...fairly hard to argue that it was the strongest side we could put out... especially when the manager can't be bothered to face the media... and he puts a kid on for 7 minutes, to replace Lallana... yes the players have to take some responsibility as well.. pretty flat performance from the start...mind you there were rumblings of that performance in their flatness against Stoke... very little urgency in their play...

Win, lose or draw today you have to ask why!?

No game for a week, safe in mid table.

Complete confusion on this one

Fuming!!

Out of interest, what different selections would you have made? Perfectly good team selected today, apart from Kelvin and Guly I suppose. What were the other options? I know you will say Spiderman and Cork, but during the second half we really were not far short of our best available team. You cannot knock MP selecting Yoshida and Hooiveld, when there are really no other options. On the other hand Sunderland made 10 changes to the team that played last week and dropped all of their "stars". Total disrespect to the FA Cup, but **** me they won. It wasn't the team selection that was the issue, it was that the players selected forgot to turn up or are completely cream-crackered (I don't actually buy this argument, they are some of the fittest players around and fast recovery is what you get when you are fit).

Out of interest, what different selections would you have made? Perfectly good team selected today, apart from Kelvin and Guly I suppose. What were the other options? I know you will say Spiderman and Cork, but during the second half we really were not far short of our best available team. You cannot knock MP selecting Yoshida and Hooiveld, when there are really no other options. On the other hand Sunderland made 10 changes to the team that played last week and dropped all of their "stars". Total disrespect to the FA Cup, but **** me they won. It wasn't the team selection that was the issue, it was that the players selected forgot to turn up or are completely cream-crackered (I don't actually buy this argument, they are some of the fittest players around and fast recovery is what you get when you are fit).

So you are having a pick and mix argument with yourself? Sunderland made 9 changes and still won, why did we not field our strongest side? It was not our strongest side, regardless of tiredness play the best team and bring them off if need be if we are winnning Christ Poyet was not even taking it seriously and he went through with his team.

Embarrassing.

true enough you can't knock him for selecting yoshida and hooiveldbut when your centre back pairing is already hobbled it makes sense not to weaken the team directly in front of and behind them.

With the exception of KD & Guly, I don't see many other options we could've used & neither of those two cost us the goal & neither of those two were involved in Lambert missing an open goal from 6 yards.

I wonder if those moaning on here about team selection would have had anything to say if that team had won!

With the exception of KD & Guly, I don't see many other options we could've used & neither of those two cost us the goal & neither of those two were involved in Lambert missing an open goal from 6 yards.

I wonder if those moaning on here about team selection would have had anything to say if that team had won!

but they never. and they were crap

but they never. and they were crap

Yep well spotted, but Sunderland were no better, both teams were poor.They got a worldy & SRL missed a sitter, the whole scenario would have panned out differently if those two incidents had gone the other way. It was a hypothetical question, of course, but my guess is this place wouldn't have been awash with wrist-slashers having a meltdown.

No need to feel upset. You're just clearly not that intelligent. Sorry if it offends you, but you aren't.

Yep well spotted, but Sunderland were no better, both teams were poor.They got a worldy & SRL missed a sitter, the whole scenario would have panned out differently if those two incidents had gone the other way. It was a hypothetical question, of course, but my guess is this place wouldn't have been awash with wrist-slashers having a meltdown.

but we lost and were crap. that is reality

what you are saying is not

managers get paid millions of £££ to get the margins right.

poyet effectively gave us a free hit and we fooked it up

Perhaps it would be interesting to see how our team compares to every other cup team this weekend?

defence

first choice RB

first choice LB

after seeing pics of Fonte's cuts possibly first choice available CB pairing (and as so keen on cup had him on bench ;) )

midfield 5

3 first choice

2 changes

Guly for JayRod (although people moan about JayRod I would have wanted him to start)

JWP for Morgan (although loads moaning he has looked tired and limped off I would have wanted him to start) His replacement has played 24 times this season, 12 starting)

Cf

first choice

So could easily be that that was 2 players off our strongest available outfield team.

I wonder if any other team will play as strong a side this weekend?

Disappointing game but probably as much to do with just one of those days it doesn't click, long away trip, midweek game when they rested, them scoring a good goal, Lallana, Lambert and JWP all missing easier chances than their goal, heavy rain /wind etc.

But this won't stop the half wit rants about foreign manager insulting fans, throwing game as he doesn't want europe. If you travelled and don't feel the players gave enough I feel for you, but if you feel insulted by Guly playing...well surprised you managed to get there!

Really disappointed with result & performance.

See the club have confirmed that JayRod and Fonte were not fully fit. So basically MP is being called a c%n# for resting Morgan??!

So we rest one top player. Play first choice defence, Lambert & Lallana - our two star players etc just swap Morgan for JWP (who plays a fair amount) and people make like we played our reserves!

Wonder if some think it through before they seek attention with OTT posts.

Lallana, Lambert and JWP all missed easy chances that you would expect them to score.

Lost 1-0...away...with more possession ...to a prem league team who had had a week off etc

Hardly huge upset.

At least the reaction here is now the most embarrassing thing today

See the club have confirmed that JayRod and Fonte were not fully fit. So basically MP is being called a c%n# for resting Morgan??!

So we rest one top player. Play first choice defence, Lambert & Lallana - our two star players etc just swap Morgan for JWP (who plays a fair amount) and people make like we played our reserves!

Lallana, Lambert and JWP all missed easy chances that you would expect them to score.

Lost 1-0...away...with more possession ...to a prem league team who had had a week off etc

Hardly huge upset.

Good post sums it all up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hardly huge upset.

None of those players would need resting if MP had been prepared to rest them for a nothing league game against Hull though. At this point with little riding on the league we should have put reverse teams out the last two games and saved our best side for an assault on the cup today. 3 dropped points at Hull would have made no difference in the season overall what so ever.

None of those players would need resting if MP had been prepared to rest them for a nothing league game against Hull though. At this point with little riding on the league we should have put reverse teams out the last two games and saved our best side for an assault on the cup today. 3 dropped points at Hull would have made no difference in the season overall what so ever.

If Poch had put out a weakened team against Hull, this place would have been on fire on Tuesday night instead of tonight.

Hardly huge upset.

You've got to admit that watching the meltdown reaction on here is quite entertaining though?

(Yes, I know I should get out more)

When are people going to wake up and smell the coffee, the FA cup doesn't mean a thing to a lot of people in the game and supporters. The gate shows that today, the performance of the players shows that today and the side both managers picked showed that. Its finished , gone, its like the Rolling Stones a nostalgia trip for the over 40's. Nobody wants the reward that comes with it, particularly in a world cup year. The premeirship is the be all and end all of everything.

People like Rickie and lallana can go on about it, how important it is, but its just talk. The difference in attitude and application today was stark. Does anybody really think the players were busting a gut to get a reply? Not a chance they went out hoping to win, rather than dying to win.

I actually welcomed the team selection, thought it was very good squad rotation from MoPo.

We've got a few players who haven't played for a while (K. Davis, Hooiveld, Ward-Prowse, Wanyama) so it was good to give them a run out and see what they could do, unfortunately they failed the test.

Also think the 'sitter' from Lambert was actually quite difficult to convert purely because it bobbled up in the air just before he went to strike the ball and made an extremely easy chance a much harder one with the way he had opened his body up.

I think we were pretty unlucky not to get the draw out of it, it was a 0-0 game for an intents and purposes but that worldie from Gardner decided it, you can slate the defenders etc. all you want but that goal was pretty damn good, a freak goal that almost all keepers/defenders could've done nothing about.

Apart from Targett and Lambert the team he put out was pretty much exactly what I'd hoped/expected it to be.

If Poch had put out a weakened team against Hull, this place would have been on fire on Tuesday night instead of tonight.

I doubt it probably the ones on here tonight saying they don't care about the cups would have cried at our failure to overtake Newcastle and moaned about us throwing away our CL place.... but most (normal) posters would have seen the reason behind it no problem.

Why? The FA Cup offers our best and easiest route to European football. Anyway I was there 76 plus when we played in Europe in the 1980's..and winning the Cup was miles better

Mopo has done well at this club and our league position is proof of that.

However if you honestly think he didnt make a huge **** up today then I dont think you ever will.

You have a hardcore 4/5 that will defend anything. Do they believe there own posts.... Imho no.

All saints fans should be disappointed after todays result... Thos that arent :?

Spot on.

All saints fans should be disappointed after todays result...

Disappointed yes, but we had no divine right to win that game, and we might still have lost if Spiderman, Lovren, Fonte, Rodriguez, and Boruc were starters. From what little I have seen of the game, and from the last 20 or so minutes of commentary that I heard, it wasn't the selection that lost us the match, it was the SELECTED that blew it by underperforming.

Team selection shouldn't make a difference.

Sunderland made loads of changes too.

Fact is, our players just simply don't give a ****.

Sure it makes a difference , are you mad. If you want to win a game you play your best players. Its as simple as that.

If you have agreed to let a player go in the summer as he clearly doesn't fit your needs . Then why play him and in turn drop one of your most inform players. It just doesn't add up.

Im afraid as much as I love poch , this loss is on him and I think its simply him not understanding how much the FA Cup means to people.

Its not often he gets it wrong but he did today. Gutted but move on, hopefully he has learnt a lesson.

Ps

I'm fuming by it , but I have to feel for the fans who spent good money getting to the match and being rewarded with gully starting and jrod in the bench. Along with 3 of our most inform players.

Regardless what team your opponents field you need to put out your best 11. Specialy the situation we are in currently in the league.

Gutted

COYR

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/southampton-forum-meltdown.879412/

This is what they think of our meltdown :( ****s, the lot of them.

Sunderland fan 1: Lack of respect for us as opponents aside, I think they have a right to be ****ed off that their team isn't taking the cups seriously. They are the ideal side to be going for it in the cups - not going down, not going to finish top 6, decent side on their day.

This would be be our best season in decades if we were comfortably ninth while having these cup runs, and conversely we'd be unhappy if we're in that position and not genuinely challenging for trophies we had a realistic chance of winning

Sunderland fan 2: Agreed. Not going out to win the cup is shocking for a club like Southampton who are totally safe and have no other trophy to play for. Shows a lack of respect for the competition and the fans.

We had a reasonable excuses for playing a weaker team, they didn't. Their next game isn't for 8 days.

Can't argue with any of that.

true enough you can't knock him for selecting yoshida and hooiveld but when your centre back pairing is already hobbled it makes sense not to weaken the team directly in front of and behind them.

I can. He should've rested Fonte (and many others) against Hull. Agreed with the rest of your post.