Our match of the season is next Saturday

Fitzhugh Fella

Find somewhere to stay in Newcastle, then at least you can get out to some decent pubs on Friday night. The Metro will take you to the ground and back.

Yeah, might well do that. I didn't realise the Metro went right to the SoL.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Sunderland itself is a good Friday night out btw???

The OP is (as is usual for him) perfectly right.

To finish this season where we are now would be a real achievement of sorts, but in a few years time no one will remember (or care very much) who finished 6/7/8th in the league. A FA Cup final appearance on the other hand is another matter all together. As for those spineless types opining that we have "no chance" of getting to Wembley anyway, well the 'old school' underdog triumphs of my 1970's youth do seem to be becoming much rarer events in the modern game I'm sorry to say, but that mundane fact seems to me a poor reason for us to abandon all hope already. Sunderland away in the Cup is, at this time, easily the most significant fixture remaining in our season.

After all if a football pitch can no longer be a 'field of dreams' anymore then I say the game has lost something precious and wonderful that perhaps only those old enough to remember that one perfect moment in Bobby Stokes life can truly understand.

Spot on!

Best finish for 11 (?) Years maybe 30 years.

Three players breaking into England squad.

Reading on redcafe forum numerous man u fans saying a saints player is their favourite England player over any of theirs.

Our start, particularly the defence. - Lovren..possibly best CB we have had for decades.

Press drooling over our style - Neville's comments.

Liverpool away.

Hull, Fulham and Arsenal home games.

Excitement of going to see Sam Gallagher against Arsenal (know you weren't ) then his performance.

Osvaldo - goal against Man City then his bust up.

Cortesse leaving.

Having the most talked about young manager in the country.

Sure there's more!!

Where were we three years ago?

How often has a team in their second season had a less ordinary season?

This season is not an anti climax for me. Its been great - pretty confident most ordinary supporters , and those at other clubs will agree.

Everton still come to us, plus have spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle away coming up, their last 6 include arsenal, man city, us, man u - not impossible that we won't have them in sight.

Spurs, 8 points ahead, next two everton and Newcastle, then busy with Europe, then run of four games -chelsea, us, arsenal, liverpool.

Man u - sit 4 points ahead coming here last games of the season.

Newcastle close, hard games left, still to come to us.

I know teams may soon be out of reach, and 8 th maybe as good as we can finish but lose Saturday and I would still say season is not over, nor are chances of Europe.

It won't mean this season has meant nothing to me if we go out at weekend, and honestly feel its a shame it would for you!

Think we are about same age..so wouldn't have thought any saints fan of our age could be a glory hunter ;)

*In the style of Camden Brett*

yeah but no. who cares ? can't win anyway. ever.

*Continues to suck a lemon*

Yeah, might well do that. I didn't realise the Metro went right to the SoL.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Sunderland itself is a good Friday night out btw???

Did a night out in Sunderland after our league cup game up there and I found it better than any night out I've had in Newcastle strangely. Never seen so many nice birds in a club in my life.

Was that around the university?

F*ck knows. Was in a bar called Gatsby's that was packed with birds and some drinks were 50p. It had a pub next to it too, called The Borough I think. Then moved onto somewhere that was open until 4 with some of the most stunnings birds I've seen under one roof. It was a downstairs club but that's about as much as I remember from it.

We are safe, although it was frustrating to drop two points today it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Our season will be gauged a success or a anti-climax on next Saturday's result.

If we lose and finish 8th or 9th, history will judge this season as just being ordinary, despite the truly great football we have played.

That is why we need to grab the FA Cup by the collar starting at the Stadium of Light next Saturday lunchtime. We are watching one of the best ever Saints teams at present but it means nothing if all we end up with is a top 10 finish.

Not sure how 5th round of the FA Cup could possibly be described as our Match of the Season. Is there a prize for reaching the Quarter Finals?

It sounds like the OP is really saying "It would be nice to win the FA Cup", which I think most of us would agree with.

Our 76 Cup winning season: the road to the semis – the tension and then joy at the semi-final draw – victory at Stamford Bridge – the May Day departure of the Yellow and Blue Army – the knotted stomach as Wembley comes into sight – ‘Oh, When the Saints, Go Marching In’, ‘Yellows,Yellows,Yellows’ – McCalliog to Stokes, collective intake of breath, yes, yes, YES, GET IN!!!, you ****ing beauty!! – Yellow and Blue Mayhem – ‘We’re Gonna Win The Cup, We’re Gonna Win The Cup, And Now You Better Believe Us’ – seven minutes that last for seven lifetimes – the explosion of mental Southampton ecstasy as the full-time whistle finally blows – Man Utd fans filing out in silence – Rodrigues lifting the Cup – hugging my mate with tears in our eyes – the return of the conquering Yellow and Blue Army – the flyovers lined with Saints banners – strangers embracing in Southampton streets – horn-blowing cars streaming Saints scarves – overflowing Southampton pubs – celebrations long into the night – buying every Sunday newspaper – the bleary-eyed open top bus parade – buying every Monday newspaper – parading the Cup at Mick Channon’s testimonial etc etc

These aren’t just my favourite Saints-related memories; they’re some of my favourite memories full-stop. Creditable final league positions – even our 84 runners-up spot – don’t even come close.

Our 76 Cup winning season: the road to the semis – the tension and then joy at the semi-final draw – victory at Stamford Bridge – the May Day departure of the Yellow and Blue Army – the knotted stomach as Wembley comes into sight – ‘Oh, When the Saints, Go Marching In’, ‘Yellows,Yellows,Yellows’ – McCalliog to Stokes, collective intake of breath, yes, yes, YES, GET IN!!!, you ****ing beauty!! – Yellow and Blue Mayhem – ‘We’re Gonna Win The Cup, We’re Gonna Win The Cup, And Now You Better Believe Us’ – seven minutes that last for seven lifetimes – the explosion of mental Southampton ecstasy as the full-time whistle finally blows – Man Utd fans filing out in silence – Rodrigues lifting the Cup – hugging my mate with tears in our eyes – the return of the conquering Yellow and Blue Army – the flyovers lined with Saints banners – strangers embracing in Southampton streets – horn-blowing cars streaming Saints scarves – overflowing Southampton pubs – celebrations long into the night – buying every Sunday newspaper – the bleary-eyed open top bus parade – buying every Monday newspaper – parading the Cup at Mick Channon’s testimonial etc etc

These aren’t just my favourite Saints-related memories; they’re some of my favourite memories full-stop. Creditable final league positions – even our 84 runners-up spot – don’t even come close.

:thumbup: Cracking post. What am I going to tell my grandchildren in 60 years time.. About us finishing 7th in the league one season, or winning the FA Cup and all the memories that go along with it.

Spot on my friend.

Never been a time like it before or since.

Unforgettable.

No doubt celebrations would be a little more muted if we won the Cup in modern times, but as somebody that was born 11 years after the heroics of '76, the prospect of experiencing a day even half as good is far more exciting than whether we finish 7th or 10th.

No doubt celebrations would be a little more muted if we won the Cup in modern times, but as somebody that was born 11 years after the heroics of '76, the prospect of experiencing a day even half as good is far more exciting than whether we finish 7th or 10th.

More muted? Seriously, it wouldn't.

The city would go effing nuts if we won the cup.

Don't pay attention to the bellends who have decided the cup is not worth bothering with. It would be immense and worth twenty "look, we finished ninth" memories.

Yep, you've captured the memory very well there. No goal has created that feeling of unbridled joy and passion quite like it ever since.

The only thing I'll pull you up on is "Yellows, Yellows, Yellows" started in the 90s, back then it was strictly "C'mon You Yeeelllloooooowwws" ;)

Huge game, just need to not lose - a replay would be fine by me.

Then hopefully Chelsea get knocked out, Citeh draw Everton, we win the replay and get a home draw where we can beat anyone.

We have a real fighting chance in this competition.

Not even thinking about Wembley just yet, this will be our fourth attempt to beat Sunderland this season. As good as things have been, I will be frustrated as hell if we fail yet again. They're under threat of relegation and have one eye on another cup. The players will be aware of that, and so should Pochettino.

You sure it wasn’t: "C’mon you Yellow & Blue Maaachhhiiiiine"? ;)

There was big banner there with something similar on it, I'll give you that!

Hopefully Pochettino is just settling down in front of Premier Sports to watch the Argentine Cup Final between his old team, Newels Old Boys and Boca, just to get him in the mood for Saturday.

Of course the celebrations would be more muted - no shame in admitting that the FA cup doesn't hold the same cultural significance. FACT.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is frankly living in lala land.

Don't be an utter plank all your life Strawlock.

If we won the FA Cup there would be a parade through the city and civic reception and the streets would be packed.

It would be at least as big as 1976, if not bigger.

We've won one major trophy in our entire history, and if anything we are more disposed to get on the streets to celenbrate than we did in the seventies.

These days, people line the streets to watch a flipping torch carried down the road. The people of our city might just get involved if we won the cup and not sit at home pining after finishing sixth. You might, but you're a complete pr ick.

If we won the FA Cup there would be a parade through the city and civic reception and the streets would be packed.

We've won one major trophy in our entire history, and if anything we are more disposed to get on the streets to celenbrate than we did in the seventies.

These days, people line the streets to watch a flipping torch carried down the road. The people of our city might just get involved if we won the cup and not sit at home pining after finishing sixth. You might, but you're a complete pr ick.

I disagree, I'd much rather see an open top bus parade with the Premier league cheque for finishing 6th being held gloriously aloft amongst the champagne popping out of bottles than some pointless, low grade cup that isn't what it was and no one cares about anymore. In 30 years time they won't talk about how many trophies a club has to its name, it'll be all about now much prize money has been won for never winning anything. Win the FA cup and I'll be glued to the Eastenders omnibus when the cup is paraded, win a cheque for 6th I'll be out there punching the air and waving my 'Katrina, wooooh' banner.

There was big banner there with something similar on it, I'll give you that!

What I do remember very vividly is that the chanting between the rival sets of supporters was awesome. I don’t know whether that was more to do with the acoustics of the old stadium, or the fact that there were 100,000 inside – and, of course, there were still terraces behind the goals. When Man Utd started their ‘U-ni-ted’ chant it seemed to build and echo under the roof, then we would respond with OWTSGMI etc. The rivalry outside the stadium was quite something as well.

Let me guess - you're in your late 30s, a fat balding **** who was too young to witness 76 but old enough to remember the cup meaning something? The days when the country came to a standstill and the whole cultural apparatus lived and breathed the cup for the day, if not the week...

Maybe you still live in hope for the day when Gok Wan and Alan Carr do cup-final themed specials or the day Rickie Lambert or some other Saints legend is immortalised in the same way as Ian Rush was for his 86 stanchion shot.

Good luck sunshine - I hope your nostalgia-tinged vigil bears fruit.

But from where I sit - those days seem long gone. Even 2003 seems like a golden age compared to today's by-the-numbers, saturated fare.

Am I celebrating its demise? Of course, not. If you think that, you must be a bigger moron than your inability to distinguish between gross and net transfer spending suggests. Who wouldn't want their team winning something that was more rather than less important, especially when the top four oligarchy is tightening its grip on other parts of the game? Who wouldn't :facepalm:

But facts are facts - and that's why like it or not, winning the cup would be more muted.

Edited by shurlock

Let me guess - you're in your late 30s, a fat balding **** who was too young to witness 76 but old enough to remember the cup meaning something? The days when the country came to a standstill and the whole cultural apparatus lived and breathed the cup for the day, if not the week...

Maybe you still live in hope for the day when Gok Wan and Alan Carr do cup-final themed specials or the day Rickie Lambert or some other Saints legend is immortalised in the same way as Ian Rush was for his 86 stanchion shot.

But from where I sit - those days seem long gone. Even 2003 seemed like a golden age compared to today's by-the-numbers, saturated fare.

Am I celebrating its demise? Of course, not. If you think that, you must be a bigger moron than your inability to distinguish between gross and net transfer spending suggests. Who wouldn't want their team winning something that was more rather than less important, especially when the top four oligarchy is tightening its grip on other parts of the game.

But facts are facts - and that's why like it or not, winning the cup would be more muted.

The whole city would turn out for the parade if we won the Cup. That goes without saying.

The whole city would turn out for the parade if we won the Cup. That goes without saying.

I wasn't around in 76, though I hear stories from the parents. All I know is that the depth and intensity of those celebrations were partly a reflection of the value of the cup. That's only natural.

You weren't around then and you are able to say what you've said. You're right that the cup isn't what it was but why p1ss on the parade? We all want to win the cup and it should be given priority, which is basically what the OP is saying, despite what the literal minded (not you) think he said.

I wasn't around in 76, though I hear stories from the parents. All I know is that the depth and intensity of those celebrations were partly a reflection of the value of the cup. That's only natural.
I might be missing your point, but are you saying the city wouldn't have a mad couple of days if we won the FA Cup?

I might be missing your point, but are you saying the city wouldn't have a mad couple of days if we won the FA Cup?

I'm saying it would be more muted this time around.

Am sure plenty would have a mad few days but would it bring nonfootball or even fairweather fans out and truly cut across the whole city like it did in 76? That I doubt.

I disagree, I'd much rather see an open top bus parade with the Premier league cheque for finishing 6th being held gloriously aloft amongst the champagne popping out of bottles than some pointless, low grade cup that isn't what it was and no one cares about anymore. In 30 years time they won't talk about how many trophies a club has to its name, it'll be all about now much prize money has been won for never winning anything. Win the FA cup and I'll be glued to the Eastenders omnibus when the cup is paraded, win a cheque for 6th I'll be out there punching the air and waving my 'Katrina, wooooh' banner.

That did make me laugh Turkish.

But from where I sit - those days seem long gone. Even 2003 seems like a golden age compared to today's by-the-numbers, saturated fare.

Am I celebrating its demise? Of course, not. If you think that, you must be a bigger moron than your inability to distinguish between gross and net transfer spending suggests. Who wouldn't want their team winning something that was more rather than less important, especially when the top four oligarchy is tightening its grip on other parts of the game? Who wouldn't :facepalm:

How is your opinion about the potential reaction in the city to us winning a cup "a fact"? Just your usual strawman, Strawlock.

We win the cup, the city goes nuts.

There will be 2 top class teams in the 6th round draw. Maybe 3 if you count Everton.

There will be 2 non-Prem teams in the 6th round draw.

The rest will be Prem teams we are capable of beating.

Win this Saturday and we have an excellent chance of Wembley for the semis.

I went on a Sunderland forum yesterday and a lot of them dont seem to care. They all agree that a draw is worse than a defeat given that the replay would be a few days before the LC final. So storm into a lead and I cant see them finding the motivation to get back into it.

Is that cheat Wes Brown suspended for our game btw?

As opposed to being a mid 20s, scrawny, four eyed virgin. One of those who's clearly quite an intelligent bloke but has the social skills of Barry George. So young and so naive that he can't believe a reality outside of what sky premier league marketing sells him is possible, yes?

How is your opinion about the potential reaction in the city to us winning a cup "a fact"? Just your usual strawman, Strawlock.

We win the cup, the city goes nuts.

Clearly he thinks the estimated near on 200,000 Pompey fans that lined the streets after their cup win only 6 years ago were just hoping to see a cup final version of its a knock out before settling down for Countryfile.

Agreed but I am talking about the mark or imprint we have made outside Southampton. We are a revelation this season in terms of developing young English players etc etc but it would be great if we ended up with something tangible to show for it. IE THE FA CUP!!!

would the world cup do?

Clearly he thinks the estimated near on 200,000 Pompey fans that lined the streets after their cup win only 6 years ago were just hoping to see a cup final version of its a knock out before settling down for Countryfile.

So we go from upto 200,000 fans (skates accounting par excellence) to an estimated 200,000 fans. :lol:

Do you want to buy some magic beans off me, pal?

They are the bestest beans in the world.

So we go from upto 200,000 fans (skates accounting par excellence) to an estimated 200,000 fans. :lol:

Do you want to buy some magic beans off me, pal?

They are the bestest beans in the world.

What are you on about? BBC figures, no one elses, unless the BBC were lying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2008/05/15/pompey_victory_parade_feature.shtml

Muted celebrations about a cup no one cares about. FACT :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Turkish

What are you on about? BBC figures, no one elses, unless the BBC were lying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2008/05/15/pompey_victory_parade_feature.shtml

Muted celebrations about a cup no one cares about. FACT :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7406819.stm

Reported as upto whatever that means but if you want to believe that the entire city population turned out, keep dreaming pal.

And the magic beans are still available.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7406819.stm

Reported as upto but if you want to believe that the entire city population turned out, keep dreaming pal.

And the magic beans still are available.

Ahh i get it so the BBC plucked figures out of the sky did they.

"up to" or "an estimated" 200,000 people is still a hell of a lot of people celebrating something no one cares about isn't it pal.

"muted celebrations" Keep 'em coming. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: