Boruc

Huffton

Lies, damn lies and statistics. That is all about shot stopping. No one is argueing he isn't a decent stopper, I agree he is one of, if not the best for reaction saves. Goalkeeping isn't just about that though, if there was a table for ridiculous cock ups he would be pretty near the top of that no doubt. What about a kicking table? Probably near the bottom.

I have spoken with a top goalkeeping coach earlier today......who told me that King Artur Boruc

is rated by many such peeps as one of the top two/three in the country.

Having seen many of the other Premier league GKs......I must agree.

Sooo glad he is our GK........Come on Artur:)

Heard a rumour that some of my fellow posters have been on other teams forums to run down the mighty Saints players:rolleyes:..HOW VERY STRANGE:mcinnes:

That Sunderland fans message board re Boruc...has posters with similar posting style to some of the strange posters on Saints web.....

Very wierd:?

Edited by ottery st mary
spellin...dropped me r

wtf!!....Even Shilton made errors from time to time, as did Niemi! Flowers was a bit of a lightweight at times, Brucie was gaff prone (on the pitch, not including his alledged off the field dealings), Beasant was far too clumsy, Jones was a bit rubbish and well....basically what I'm saying is that you can pick holes on any keeper if you really want to.

Oh and MOTD blamed Shaw.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. That is all about shot stopping. No one is argueing he isn't a decent stopper, I agree he is one of, if not the best for reaction saves. Goalkeeping isn't just about that though, if there was a table for ridiculous cock ups he would be pretty near the top of that no doubt. What about a kicking table? Probably near the bottom.

So in the matter of importance for a goalkeeper, how would you rank shot stoping vs kicking?

50/50?

Great keeper and not at fault for either goal yesterday. The Arsenal fiasco is the only major blemish for AB this season and I doubt he will ever try that tactic again. If there was a goalkeeping stuff up yesterday it was Begovic failing to clear Davis' cross.

So in the matter of importance for a goalkeeper, how would you rank shot stoping vs kicking?

50/50?

probably about the same as I would place on a striker defending. not his primary job, but it needs to be done. Particularly in a team that likes to play out from the back, as we do.

His kicking is not great. Never has been. Ain't going to change and guess what he isn't a striker! He is a goalie is kicking is less important there

Again I disagree. In a team that places such importance on possession its vital that the keeper can play it out to a team mate under pressure.

Great keeper and not at fault for either goal yesterday. The Arsenal fiasco is the only major blemish for AB this season and I doubt he will ever try that tactic again. If there was a goalkeeping stuff up yesterday it was Begovic failing to clear Davis' cross.

If he wasn't at fault for the 2nd Goal, then what was he doing on the pitch ???

A Defender would have got to the ball, but Boroc, (with the extra aid of being able to use his hands) got nowhere near it, yet he only had to move 2 ft from his line

Why do most GK's these days model themselves on the Morecombe & Wise sketch of the Bar Footbal game ??? Along the line , but can't move forward. ??

If he wasn't at fault for the 2nd Goal, then what was he doing on the pitch ???

A Defender would have got to the ball, but Boroc, (with the extra aid of being able to use his hands) got nowhere near it, yet he only had to move 2 ft from his line

Why do most GK's these days model themselves on the Morecombe & Wise sketch of the Bar Footbal game ??? Along the line , but can't move forward. ??

No, I'll stand by my observation on the second goal not being Boruc's fault - it was a hard, well hit, low corner that Crouch stooped to make contact with fractionally ahead of AB.....Fonte should have marked Crouch more closely.

His kicking is not great. Never has been. Ain't going to change and guess what he isn't a striker! He is a goalie is kicking is less important there

I agree and would also point out that long kicks form a pretty small minority of his distribution. Short passes and throws form the majority and, from where I'm sitting, he does both of those pretty well, especially the throws.

Weve had some shocking GKs to be fair

Tim Flowers > Boruc imo

Timmy took a while to get decent though, i remember us getting utterly spanked in his debut (4-1 if memory serves) and the Milton crying out for Budgie to come back. Even after that he was in a battle with Ian Andrews for the first couple of years in the fans eyes as he was inconsistent and let in some shockers (no one put it down to our complete lack of defence).

Then come the end of his time here you had the whole Milton singing "sign on Timmy, Timmy sign on" as he'd become a hero.

No, I'll stand by my observation on the second goal not being Boruc's fault - it was a hard, well hit, low corner that Crouch stooped to make contact with fractionally ahead of AB.....Fonte should have marked Crouch more closely.

You are absolutely right.

Fonte should have been tighter and easing Crouch away from the goal in the direction from where the ball was coming.

Not the fault of the GK

You are absolutely right.

Fonte should have been tighter and easing Crouch away from the goal in the direction from where the ball was coming.

Not the fault of the GK

Educate me ..... exactly WHAT is a Goalkeeper for ??

You are supposed to COMMAND your six yard area, and are given the "extra" of being able to use your HANDS to help you do it.

Educate me ..... exactly WHAT is a Goalkeeper for ??

You are supposed to COMMAND your six yard area, and are given the "extra" of being able to use your HANDS to help you do it.

Regardless of what the GK does or not do....ie come for the ball..

The centre back HAS to do his job at all times.....he might leave if strong clear shout from GK.

Shawcross would have eased Crouch away.....Crouch would not have got a touch on ball...Jose was caught out and too slow.

You might be right...GK comes for ball in and around his goal..

For whatever reason...slip/indecision etc..........Fonte should be dealing with the situation unless told otherwise.

Some GKs get blocked or held etc...Whatever Boruc decided or not....Jose has to play the man/ball...unless shouted from GK

Edited by ottery st mary

wtf!!....Even Shilton made errors from time to time, as did Niemi! Flowers was a bit of a lightweight at times, Brucie was gaff prone (on the pitch, not including his alledged off the field dealings), Beasant was far too clumsy, Jones was a bit rubbish and well....basically what I'm saying is that you can pick holes on any keeper if you really want to. Oh and MOTD blamed Shaw.

oh yes ....tell me about it. You like stats.?.... try this for size. Peter Shilton argueably the best English goalie of his generation (and several others too) .

One hundred and umpteen caps, played in three World cups.or was it four? (later Saints' most capped player ever).. signed by Lawrie Mac in 1982 conceded 18 goals in the first 7 games 1982-83

His fault? .....hardly, and he made some fantastic saves even then. Unfortunately, the four defenders in front of him might have done better if they'd done been concentrating a bit more..

Of course that was a blip in his career he won't want to recall, but goalies more than most tend to take the blame when a team concedes. Every keeper I've seen has made blunders, some worse than others.

How many of us have given stick to KD over the years, except that he also holds the club record for most clean sheets in our Championship season and some contributors here rate his performance at Leeds that year as one of the best they've ever seen .

As for Boruc ..his Fred Astaire routine at Arsenal didn't come off, but he and Begovic are about level on those shots that go blowing in the wind.

So... if a side loses, don't just blame the custodian - especially if the men in front of him are dreaming of their holidays and not keeping their eyes on the ball.

I can honestly say I never saw Niemi make a mistake as blatant as Boruc's failure to beat Crouch to that corner.
Errm, ever watched the goals Lua Lua scored in the infamous 4-1 drubbing at Fratton Park in the year we got relegated?? One of them was an absolute howler by Niemi that effectively finished the game as a contest and secured our place in the bottom three. Makes a debatable minor mistake in a relatively unimportant 2-2 draw with Stoke seem a tad insignificant. Both Niemi and Boruc are great keepers. Personally I prefer Niemi, but don't tell me he was flawless.

I am a big fan of Fonte but I would say more than equally. If Fonte had done his job no goal would have been scored.

This.

The cross was delivered to the near post about 2-3 yards out, that is much more the responsibility of the defenders than the keeper, Boruc did pretty well to get there, just got a bit unlucky.

Don't let the guy who has the 3rd most headed goals in premier league history get space on the near post.

Both goals were easily avoided and whilst you could argue maybe Boruc should have done better for both I think the route cause of the goals was bad defending.

Can't expect him to always bail us out.

Goalkeeper's ball every time. Boruc should have gone for the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him.

Cannot believe the polarised opinions on Boruc.

In terms of the Stoke match, the 1st goal was due to Shaw losing concentration; Boruc will always come a long way out to make himself big.. very little blame should be apportioned to him.

The second goal was a great delivery, but both Fonte and Boruc should have done better.

However, in the greater scheme of judging him as a goalie; he was once rated top four in Europe, has over 50 International caps and normally commands the penalty area which is critical for our defence.

IMO he's one of the best goalkeepers in the EPL.. in terms of comparing v our previous greats, today's football is at a pace where decision making has to be much quicker.

Hi Experts.

Have look statistic and compare with any keeper in EPL.

This may help:

English Premier Sa 17Aug 2013 West Brom 0 - 1 Southampton

English Premier Sa 24Aug 2013 Southampton 1 - 1 Sunderland

English Premier Sa 31Aug 2013 Norwich 1 - 0 Southampton

English Premier Su 15Sep 2013 Southampton 0 - 0 West Ham

English Premier Sa 21Sep 2013 Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton

English Premier Sa 28Sep 2013 Southampton 2 - 0 C Palace

English Premier Su 06Oct 2013 Southampton 2 - 0 Swansea

English Premier Sa 19Oct 2013 Man Utd 1 - 1 Southampton

English Premier Sa 26Oct 2013 Southampton 2 - 0 Fulham

English Premier Sa 02Nov 2013 Stoke 1 - 1 Southampton

English Premier Sa 09Nov 2013 Southampton 4 - 1 Hull

English Premier Sa 23Nov 2013 Arsenal 2 - 0 Southampton

English Premier Su 01Dec 2013 Chelsea 3 - 1 Southampton

English Premier Sa 11Jan 2014 Southampton 1 - 0 West Brom

English Premier Sa 18Jan 2014 Sunderland 2 - 2 Southampton

English Premier Tu 28Jan 2014 Southampton 2 - 2 Arsenal

English Premier Sa 01Feb 2014 Fulham 0 - 3 Southampton

English Premier Sa 08Feb 2014 Southampton 2 - 2 Stoke

===========================================================

AB played Games 18 goals 16 = 0,88 per game.

thanks.

AB is highly rated keeper in fact he is one of the best 5 keeper in EPL

We are lucky we've got him.

Stop whingeing

Artur Boruc has never been classified as being the most stable person, on or off the pitch.

Conceding goals to Asmir Begovic from 90 yards away or to Olivier Giroud while dribbling around his penalty area is some of the bad you take with Boruc. But you get a lot of good with the Polish keeper as well.

Boruc is leading the Premier League in fewest goals allowed with a rate of just 0.62 per match. While Southampton's defense can take a lot of the credit for that—Boruc only stops 1.69 shots per match—they aren't completely responsible. The 33-year-old saves 2.75 shots per goal allowed, a rate of 73.3 percent.

Unfortunately for Southampton, Boruc will be out of action until January with a broken hand.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1869247-premier-league-goalkeeper-power-rankings-through-week-13/page/19

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Scared the crap out of me again a few times yesterday with his shocking distribution. A few times the CBs had come short and wide but instead he elected to give it to JWP who was immediately closed down and had no where to go. Smashed several balls straight out of play and at one point he was actaully laughing about it.

What hacks me off is the morons in the Chapel sarcastically applauding him when he kicked straight. What sort of 'supporter' does that ? There was a bloke near me who must've been at least 60 singing the 'Artur Boruc is having a party' song and then sticking two fingers up to Boruc. Total tool.

What hacks me off is the morons in the Chapel sarcastically applauding him when he kicked straight. What sort of 'supporter' does that ? There was a bloke near me who must've been at least 60 singing the 'Artur Boruc is having a party' song and then sticking two fingers up to Boruc. Total tool.

Blokes behind me cheered when Norwich scored (they had 3-1 at the bookies). LOLS when it went to 3-2. Bellends.

This. The same idiots who were booing when we wouldn't "kick it forward" when are 1-0 up and keeping possession.

This. The same idiots who were booing when we wouldn't "kick it forward" when are 1-0 up and keeping possession.

We could very easily have conceded on several occasions due to him passing short balls to a player under pressure. As for his kicking, it was at least five that went straight into touch before he found the pitch, and it's a very big target. He knew it was bad and he acknowledged as much to the Chapel.

We could very easily have conceded on several occasions due to him passing short balls to a player under pressure. As for his kicking, it was at least five that went straight into touch before he found the pitch, and it's a very big target. He knew it was bad and he acknowledged as much to the Chapel.

I wasn't talking about Boruc, they were booing and yelling it when JWP had it and passed it back to Lovren/Fonte. Agree about Boruc's kicking but it cant do much good for his confidence when you've got your own supporters (the same type of people) putting him under pressure.