Saints: the next level

SO16_Saint

Firstly keep what we have got, including the manager.

Top of the list by a long way is a clinical striker. With a bit more consistency infront of goal I believe we'd be in mix for top 6. Ossie was supposed to be that guy but now we're back to square 1 again.

Next I'd get a solid back up keeper, it's no coincidence that the Boruc injury period was when our form dipped. The other keepers don't transmit the level of confidence that Artur does.

Then after that I'd look for a decent AM that can link our excellent midfield with the forwards. Hopefully that is Gaston's job but the jury is still out.

Personally don't think CB\FB are areas that need real strengthening at the moment.

A lot of investment. We need another 5/6 players of the same sort of quality as Lovren. We're talking £100 million investment over 2-3 seasons. That's how City and Chelsea have achieved success, it's the only way. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking we can field a side of academy products good enough to finish top 6. The first step in the summer will he keeping the likes of Lallana and Shaw, and improving the squad in every area. We can be ambitious but need to be realistic. It is very much dependant on whether KL allows us to spend her late Father's fortune, or whether new investors take over the club. Right now, my gut feeling is that we might be able to make 7th place next season, at a push. Finalky, it is no good saying how we should have beaten Arsenal, City, Chelsea etc., or that the games were close. We need to be winning them if the club is to make progress

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

When I look at the games we have left this season the only one is City away where I think we will get beaten for sure, the rest of them home and away with a full strength side we are capable of getting something out of them.

I felt the least confident of all away games going to Chelsea. We never seem to do well there.

If MP leaves. It's a huge step back IMO

We clearly need another keeper., LB, top CB. And striker.

We said that last year but NA left.

Everton said that last year when Moyes & Fellaini left.

It would all depend on the quality of the replacement.

Finding a striker BETTER than what we have may be very hard.

CB & Keeper an absolute priority. I think Luke may stay another year

I think there is a chance of moving into the top 6 - no higher than 4th in all likelihood. We need a new GK (backup), CB (partner to Lovren) and experienced striker while Gallagher learns his trade - nothing more. I still feel this team has a lot more to achieve - Mopo and his staff seem to have tapped into whatever it is that motivates our squad and are helping them excel consistently.

Are there many better centre backs around than Fonte?

IMO he has been at least on a par with Lovren.... It's the backup that has been a concern....

Are there many better centre backs around than Fonte?

IMO he has been at least on a par with Lovren.... It's the backup that has been a concern....

Do you not recognise that the best way to improve the squad - in fact only sensible way - is to bring in players better or as good as your '1st on the team-sheet' players? If we got a CB of Lovren's quality in, that man would start and Fonte would be a (very capable) backup, thus improving the overall standing of the squad.

On form no, he's been brilliant and has a couple of years left at that level hopefully. Still need competition in there. I hope Yoshida stays as for under a million he's been a good top flight player. You wouldn't want him playing with Jos but with Fonte or Lovren I think he's been good. Main key defensively is holding onto players. Partnerships don't always work, the best back 4s are used to playing together. Lose Shaw or Lovren and it's a lot of disruption.

Yoshida cost 2.5 million. He's been ok, particularly last season, but i imagine it will be much easier to move him on then Jos if we're planning on bringing in another centre back. Yoshida is still relatively young and an international and won't be happy to remain as 4th choice

I'm with Charlie Wayman on this......can't believe you would compare the 2003 side with our current side. The current side is entertaining and a joy to watch with lots of young players coming through. The class of 2003 was hard working, a good unit but certainly not exciting or youthful....about the only game I remember (at home) being entertaining that season was when we tore Leeds a new one.

Beating Arsenal at home 3-2 (even Delgado scored). Beating Spurs on new years day and then thrashing them 4-0 in the Cup a few days later. Beattie 23 goals. Signing Niemi (better than Boruc). Plenty of excitement for me!

In the PL I reckon you have spend a tidy amount just to stay still to push on further would require serious amounts of money. I'm not sure the owner wants to spend that sort of money (not that I blame her TBH). Unless some mega rich Arab or Russian wants to buy us I reckon we've probably got about as far as we can expect to go. Still upper mid table in the PL with plenty of English and academy talent on show and a decent cup run each season wouldn't be the worst scenario in the world would it? Even that scenario would require a healthy budget and good replacements as manager and players inevitably move in.