Watching MOTD thread

Dr Who?

People can say what they want but Nolan and Carroll are going to be a handful. Fat Sam and Flores the flower:lol:

Now I cannot stand Fat Sam, but cannot stand cheats either. That clip with fat Sam has raised my opinion of him for the first time ever, class.

Still don't see why Carroll is considered a better option to Rickie. You can guarantee he'll go to the world cup instead of him though.

In many respects they are different types of player, there is no way Lambert could have got that header across the goal for Nolans 2nd it is a tough one to pick to be honest.

What saints players, apart form the scandalous omission of MLT, in recent history have had a realistic chance of going to the World Cup?

This is for a different thread. ;)

I off to bed now, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of any, but the one you mention still leaves a sour taste in my mouth!

What saints players, apart form the scandalous omission of MLT, in recent history have had a realistic chance of going to the World Cup?

Without being controversial, since the influx of top foreign players is only recent this has not happened due to us being down the Leagues, our National team is not what it once was hence we are now getting a look in.

Without being controversial, since the influx of top foreign players is only recent this has not happened due to us being down the Leagues, our National team is not what it once was hence we are now getting a look in.

The players we've had that have been good enough have all got call ups. In the 80s Mark Wright and obviously Shilton. shearer made his England debut as a saints player, MLT did too, Tim flowers, Wayne Bridge, Beattie and recently Lallana, Rodriguez and Lambert. This anti saints agenda that the England managers all have against us is a mongboard myth. I can't think of many that should have had got a cap that didn't in my whole time watching saints.

The players we've had that have been good enough have all got call ups. In the 80s Mark Wright and obviously Shilton. shearer made his England debut as a saints player, MLT did too, Tim flowers, Wayne Bridge, Beattie and recently Lallana, Rodriguez and Lambert. This anti saints agenda that the England managers all have against us is a mongboard myth. I can't think of many that should have had got a cap that didn't in my whole time watching saints.

I agree what I was saying was the National team and the standard now of English players is getting poorer hence we are getting a chance, Lallana is one that will continue and I hope the same for Rodriguez but Lambert may deserve a call up but is he truly an International player of the standards we have seen in previous years? Thats my point, I love Lambert but he is no major International footballer.

Just look at the squads and players from previous England squads, they had to be whittled down as they had serious quality in them.

Was going to say David Armstrong but Wiki has him down for 1 or 2 apps while with Saints.

Would love to have seen Deano play for England, was top drawer in his time for us.

In many respects they are different types of player, there is no way Lambert could have got that header across the goal for Nolans 2nd it is a tough one to pick to be honest.

OK Carroll is good in the air. Gash otherwise. If he goes to the WC it's cos he's young tall and trendy.

Was going to say David Armstrong but Wiki has him down for 1 or 2 apps while with Saints.

Would love to have seen Deano play for England, was top drawer in his time for us.

Dean Richards is possibly one to be fair, but when you look at England centre halves in that time we had sol Campbell, Tony Adams, keown and Southgate already established and John Terry and Jonathan Woodgate, who in my opinion along with Ledley King would have been a world class defender if they weren't made of glass then in truth Richards was probably about 7th or 8th down the list in what was a good era for defenders.

Not being funny, but if it had been Rooney, Mata, Lampard, Gerrard etc. playing that ball for Rodriguez's goal then they'd have been fapping over it for ages. Just gets called a long ball on MOTD.

Edit - fair play Danny Murphy, but it was the commentator that annoyed me really.

Edited by Saint_clark

Not being funny, but if it had been Rooney, Mata, Lampard, Gerrard etc. playing that ball for Rodriguez's goal then they'd have been fapping over it for ages. Just gets called a long ball on MOTD.

Edit - fair play Danny Murphy, but it was the commentator that annoyed me really.

It was a Superb goal. Fantastic pass and the finish from Rodriguez was excellent.

I think the issues with England not picking Saints players keeps reverting back to MLT. He was treated badly & Venables set him up to fail in Ireland to keep the fans off his back. The only other player that has not been mentioned who I feel did deserve a chance was Matty Oakley. At his best he kept the ball better than most other players in the PL.

Can still remember England getting beat by Australia which was Beatties debut. He wasnt great, but Lampard was woeful.

Then the Italy game that Matty played in where he became the scapegoat & Campbell & the keeper were at fault for their goal.

Press has a lot to answer for IMHO!!

Delgado, Svenson and everone's favorite Italian nutter.

Didn't Kenwyne get a game or two?

I meant with England. The hand wringing that our players are over looked when the reality is that the vast majority of those who were good enough have had call ups.

I meant with England. The hand wringing that our players are over looked when the reality is that the vast majority of those who were good enough have had call ups.

So you would honestly say that players do not stand a better chance playing for one of the top 4 than Saints? If you put cleverly in the saints team, no one would have blink an eyelid.

Including myself, I would think he was an ordinary player.

So you would honestly say that players do not stand a better chance playing for one of the top 4 than Saints? If you put cleverly in the saints team, no one would have blink an eyelid.

Except that's not what I said at all is it. What i said was this persecution complex that players don't get picked for England who play for us is a load of nonsense. You've got arguably two in the last 25 odd years in Richards and Oakley been mentioned who might have been worth a go bit both had 5 or 6 better players ahead of them in their positions but that's about it. Everyone else in the past who has been good enough has had a call up. Of the current squad Shaws selection is inevitable but he's still only 18 and Clyne is the other one who is ready now and you could argue deserves a cap, but let's not forget he isnt certain to start for us at the moment.

Edited by Turkish

Including myself, I would think he was an ordinary player.

Int selection is more than just form, you need to think about players that are used to playing the system the int team plays and players that are used to playing together as the coaching time is too short to try to get them used to each other and different tactics effectively.

Hence you tend to get 'groups' of players called up with the odd wildcard

You also have to think that players in the top 4 have champions league experience I suppose, and tend to get pick over others with the same quality.

I am just trying to find a reason for some players even getting in the England squad let alone the team!

You also have to think that players in the top 4 have champions league experience I suppose, and tend to get pick over others with the same quality.

I am just trying to find a reason for some players even getting in the England squad let alone the team!

I think if we get one or two players picked they'll get picked regularly. And we should have a reasonable amount ready for selection now or v soon.

Cleverley should be a good player buthe just doesnt seem to be effective at all