Stoke build-up thread

Glasgow_Saint

Stick with the same team that started the second half yesterday, then/if we are leading bring Wanyama on in the second half to protect the defence.

Well seeing how bad he was yesterday I doubt that that's a very good idea at all. Needs to shed a lot of weight before he's allowed anywhere near the first team again. Caused havoc and let them get the better of us eventually in the first half.

Well seeing how bad he was yesterday I doubt that that's a very good idea at all. Needs to shed a lot of weight before he's allowed anywhere near the first team again. Caused havoc and let them get the better of us eventually in the first half.

Didnt notice him being a bit heavy yesterday, prob due to dodgy stream. However with the players Stoke have, we need a bit of muscle to stop us being pushed around the park. And if VW can get back to the form he had prior to his injury he could def do a job. That said, before or after his injury, VWs passing does make me sweat.

http://tui.fansnetwork.co.uk/news/34003/cork-or-wanyama-on-saturday-

Decent article. My bet is a Wanyama will start despite Lallana trying to make a point to the contrary on Monday in the press. Appears to be MoPos blind spot. The pressure will then be on Wanyama to perform.

The problem is VW does need game time as we need him to get back to match fitness. In tough games he has shown how important he is and we need that option.

He may start, as against Fulham where I think the plan was to keep it tight to start with then have Cork in reserve to bring more attacking potential if we needed a goal. However, at home I would hope to see things reversed and for us to play our most creative and attacking combination from the start, hopefully get a lead then give VW time at the end when he can (should) give us the solidity to see the game out in place of Cork or Morgan.

Either way, I'm sure he'll get at least half a game.

I realise it is often just a turn of phrase, but when discussing Cork and Wanyama it's probably not helpful to describe it as 'dropping' one for the other... MoPo knew the risks associated with starting Vic against Fulham and whilst he wasn't great, it could be argued that he helped us establish ourselves in the game, and then allowed Cork come to help open Fulham up 2nd half.

We've heard it said time and again, it's a squad game, and if a specific player plays then it's for a reason. Personally I agree that at home, I would start Cork this weekend, but I have no issues if Vic starts either, and we have a similar outcome to last weekend.

Wanyama had a couple of moments that led directly to Boruc having to make saves to keep us in the game. He was a long way off the dominating form pre injury. I really can't see why it should be either Cork or Wanyama when both of them plus Schneiderlin would give us a strong spine especially late and in away games.

Wanyama had a couple of moments that led directly to Boruc having to make saves to keep us in the game. He was a long way off the dominating form pre injury. I really can't see why it should be either Cork or Wanyama when both of them plus Schneiderlin would give us a strong spine especially late and in away games.

Because we don't need to play 3 defensive minded players vs Stoke. Morgan and Cork for me. Wanyama against the bigger sides. Cork is much better at starting attacks and passing IMO.

Boruc

Clyne - Fonte - Yoshida - Shaw

Big Vic - Morgan

Davis

Lallana - JRod - Lambert

Subs: Kelvin, Chambers, Hooiveld, Cork, JWP, Guly, Gallagher

Dropping Cork would be simply ludicrous and incredibly demotivating, plus Chambers hobbled off on Saturday and I doubt would be fit. Pochettino's starting of Wanyama was nearly very costly.

Dropping Cork would be simply ludicrous and incredibly demotivating, plus Chambers hobbled off on Saturday and I doubt would be fit. Pochettino's starting of Wanyama was nearly very costly.

Whilst I agree, big Vic is utter class and needs game time to stay sharp, we'll need him for the run in and we need him match fit ASAP judging on his last performance. Cork to start but if we're ahead VW needs at least a 20min run out at the end. We're in the enviable position of having three very very good midfielders competing for two starting spots.

I realise it is often just a turn of phrase, but when discussing Cork and Wanyama it's probably not helpful to describe it as 'dropping' one for the other... MoPo knew the risks associated with starting Vic against Fulham and whilst he wasn't great, it could be argued that he helped us establish ourselves in the game, and then allowed Cork come to help open Fulham up 2nd half.

We've heard it said time and again, it's a squad game, and if a specific player plays then it's for a reason. Personally I agree that at home, I would start Cork this weekend, but I have no issues if Vic starts either, and we have a similar outcome to last weekend.

Wanyama helped establish ourselves in the game? What by giving the ball away countless times and winning it back 0 times? I like Wanyama but he didn't help the team whatsoever in the first half

I prefer Wanyama as a player and think he's a huge part of our early success this season, but why even consider dropping Cork at the moment? He's playing well and we're getting results.

If it ain't broke...

Saying that, i'd like to see Clyne start over Chambers. It's very close but I reckon he just about edges it as the better player currently.

I think this will be tougher than many imagine. However I do think we can beat them... me, I'm going 2-1.

It wont be easy but their form over the last 6 away games is lost 5 and a 0-0 draw at Hull. They don't travel well and if we play to our potential we should beat them. We were definitely the better team up at the Britannia and if Begovic had left his shooting boots at home we'd have won fairly comfortably IMO.

Definitely Cork should (must) start. He has been brilliant since coming in and didn't deserve to be dropped against Fulham.

Wouldn't mind seeing Clyne come back in too but Chambers is also doing a fine job.

Once again he wasn't "dropped", he was knackered after the Arsenal game and was sparingly used.

Not sure why some so obsessed with Cork v Big Vic. They are t different players who play different roles depending on our need.. Cork offers far more creativity, big Vic is the disrupter. Each play a part in a squad game. We can't judge Vic on last weeks return from his injury, needs sharpness etc. I would play him, Stoke have some big units