How many of our boys will go to Brazil?

Bad Wolf

I don't think Gibbs is ahead anymore. Cole should go with his experience. But there's an argument for taking all 3 to be honest with Baines and Shaw being very good going forward. The squad is always full with a few midfielders who'll never play so why not an extra full back.

Henderson should go. One of the form CMs and has been far better for Liverpool than Gerrard. They play better football without Gerrard now, far faster and the ball stays on the ground more. I'd like to see a Henderson/Wilshere partnership, ideally with a deeper ball winner but god knows who. Gerrard I guess but Cork would be excellent there. Cork/Henderson/Wilshere could replicate Cork/Schneiderlin/Davis, but a lot of it is about time playing together and it's ridiculous there's still no obvious England team this close to a tournament.

Sterling is better than Townsend, and playing better than Lennon but isn't the sort of player I'd want in there. Maybe on the bench. Johnson is alright but I wouldn't start him. Walcott yes as he has a good understanding with Wilshere and is used to possession football.

Would really like to see post world cup:

Hart

Clyne/Walker Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Henderson/Barkley Cork Wilshere

Walcott Sturridge/Rooney Lallana

Gerrards consistantly looked one of the better players for England for me but its no secret that I think he is fantastic and you do not so I suppose there is an element of Bias on both parts.

I would definately say that after the WC we should be looking ahead to the next one and use the EC as experience for the younger players. That would be my choice, I think we are more or less on the same wavelength on this.

My team for the World Cup, based on the likely squad anyway:

Hart

Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Wilshere Henderson

Lallana Rooney Sturridge

Actually think that can be a very good team with plenty of thread. If it becomes a 442 though, if Gerrard is part of a central 2, or if we try to focus on traditional head down wingers like Townsend, Sterling, Lennon etc., it will go badly.

Not many play 2 strikers up top and I think in that heat/altitude it'd just put too much pressure on the midfield. Plus, Sturridge has played that role for Liverpool, cuts in anyway, could naturally swap sides with Lallana and have freedom, and is far better in that position than Welbeck or JRod.

but that is what roy is about.

quick wide men how can counter and carry the ball

Still think Gerrard can be an important player for england but he needs a ball winner alongside to free him up to be a threat. Think Wilshere/Henderson alongside Gerrard would be a disaster.

If they don't gamble on a newby like cork the next best option would be Barry who has been excellent for Everton this season. Though i'd much prefer a younger option alongside Gerrard personally due to conditions in Brazil.

It's been said but I'll say it again, if Lallana does not make the WC it is an utter farce.

Especially so with Theo out. I can see JRod missing out, and perhaps Lambert too. But right now Lallana should be in the first team IMO, let alone the squad. If he doesn't go for any reason other than injury then Roy has completely lost his marbles. I just can't see him not going.

Still think Gerrard can be an important player for england but he needs a ball winner alongside to free him up to be a threat. Think Wilshere/Henderson alongside Gerrard would be a disaster.

If they don't gamble on a newby like cork the next best option would be Barry who has been excellent for Everton this season. Though i'd much prefer a younger option alongside Gerrard personally due to conditions in Brazil.

If Barry ever plays for England that would be the end for me. I still recall how he was running in treacle when we played Germany the last time in the euros, and now he is 2years older. How Ozil gave him 15yards and still left him for dead.

Truth is as a nation we have made **** all progress over the last 15 or so years, so i feel it would be perfectly appropriate and symbolic if we started with the following team, which i wouldn't bet against Roy picking:

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Cole

Milner Lampard Gerrard Townsend

Rooney Sturridge

Surely, if we want to progress as a nation

Ashley cole and frank lampard need to be left out

neither show the form they used to (by a long way) and neither will play again after the WC

my squad (with a mix of young and established)

Hart, Foster, Forster

Clyne, Walker, Terry, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Shaw, Baines

Gerrard, Carrick, Henderson, Wilshere, Lallana, OxO, Townsend, Barkley

Lambert, Sturridge, Rooney, Rodriguez

but then, I am biased and not factored in that cleverley is a shoe-in as is milner

Roy will no doubt find room for smalling in the squad too

and welbeck, although ok for england, is dog shyt really but will get picked

Edited by Batman

Lallana is a cert, Rodriguez has a shout if he keeps this form til the end of the season.

I think the return of Carroll rules Lambert out, and Clyne only had an outside chance even when he was playing every week. Just the two of them for me.

We're kidding ourselves if we think there's any chance of JWP or Chambers going.

The real question is how many players we're going to have in for the 2018 World Cup if we continue on this path. Could be 5 or 6!

I would go for;

Hart

Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Sturridge Chamberlain Lallana

Rooney

It's a shame Walcott got injured, he's one of the few players who could make the difference at that level. I think our hopes now rest with Sturridge, Chamberlain and Lallana.

If Roy is good to his word he said he'd pick players based on club form as well as what they did for England. On that basis Lallana is guaranteed a place and Rodriguez should get another chance In the next friendly.

While JRod had a complete shocker on his debut, you have to think that if he keeps banging them in he simply can't be ignored. I normally would say that he's nowhere good enough for England but we're not exactly blessed with an abundance of top quality forwards.

Adam's a cert if he keeps playing like this.

Rickie , im 50/50 on this, depends on carrol really. I reckon woy prefers Carroll and the past couple of seasons lamberts struggled towards the end. Osvaldo going has given him a boost, but reckon he'll need to whack a few in .

Jrod has done fantastic after that soul destroying debut. Must be a real feather in his cap that he's worked harder and got over it well. Depends on injuries really, all he can hope is he gets the call for the next frendly and impresses .

I did think clyne was in with a squeak, but chambers form could do for his England hopes.

Shaw won't go unless one of cole or Baines is injured.

Cork, no chance.

22e71e2c5641001af4a944a4bb290e49_bigger.jpegJohn Cross@johncrossmirror

On Talksport @sportsbreakfast tomorrow with Danny Kelly, Neil Warnock @martinkeown5, Jay Rodriguez, Avram Grant. I'm on paper review at 7am.

Jay said.

Lambert is a brilliant player

Learnt so much from him

One of the best passers I have seen, never gets the mention it deserves

Team spirit is brilliant, before and after Osvaldo gone

Have newcastle in our sights and want to over take them

will continue to play our way

will go into every game looking to win

Carrying on as normal after NC left

Manager spoke to players and kept them in the right mindset

MP English is good and speaks to squad in English

World Cup squad is on the mind, players focused on doing well at saints and see what happens

MP waiting till end of season to see what is what. players really want him to stay, players love him

Burnley are doing brilliantly, been following closely. Ings and Vokes are on fire

Love to go to Turf Moor in the prem next season

warnock and kelly added

Great club for England

Lowe started this incarnation of the academy and the new owners have taken it on further

Clyne best English Right back

shaw in contention for world cup

Fonte was good for a big error in a game when at palace but is very consistent now and a great player

very much hope MP stays at saints as they are a great club and can go further with this group

Jay said.

Learnt so much from him

World Cup squad is on the mind, players focused on doing well at saints and see what happens

MP waiting till end of season to see what is what. players really want him to stay, players love him

Burnley are doing brilliantly, been following closely. Ings and Vokes are on fire

warnock and kelly added

Great club for England

Lowe started this incarnation of the academy and the new owners have taken it on further

Fonte was good for a big error in a game when at palace but is very consistent now and a great player

very much hope MP stays at saints as they are a great club and can go further with this group

That, as much as his tactics is what makes him such a great manager.

Jay said.

Learnt so much from him

warnock and kelly added

Great club for England

Funny that. I thought all our players were only here because of the previous chairmans vision and drive and now they all want to leave. he must be lying.

On form, hopefully Rodriguez will get called up for the next squad. You feel he would need a goal and a big performance though. He seems to have been better than ever since his England debut which is great to seem. Maybe he now has the confidence and determination to score another 6 or 7 goals and make the World Cup squad

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

If Barry ever plays for England that would be the end for me. I still recall how he was running in treacle when we played Germany the last time in the euros, and now he is 2years older. How Ozil gave him 15yards and still left him for dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Iurqc1C9k

If we play a top team, it'll be like the above all over again or if we're really, really lucky, like this;

And, for the record, this is probably one of the best football documentaries on England in recent times. Look out for Mourinho's kind words (he'd be brilliant as an England manager results-wise, I'd imagine we won't be pretty to watch but we'd have a strong belief/determination that we could do something) and Jurgen Klinsmann's inappropriate joke about Germany :-o

http://pookproductions.co.uk/can-england-win-the-next-world-cup-gary-lineker-documentary/

at past squads and the current odds on who will make the 23, it might even be difficult for Lallana to make it, especially if Roy overloads the squad with central midfielders

Gk

Hart

Forster

Foster/Ruddy

DF

Baines

Cole

Jagielka

Cahill

Jones

Smalling

Walker

Johnson

MF

Gerrard

Townsend

Wilshere

Milner

Carrick

Lampard

ST

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

That's 20, which barring injury you would (rightly or wrongly) expect to be picked. The defence sadly picks itself and I think that's what it will be. Then 2 midfield places for which there are a lot of contenders (Barkley, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Henderson, Sterling, Lennon, maybe Adam Johnson). That would only leave 1 place for a 4th striker (Lambert, Carroll, Defoe, J Rod).

Doesn't look very inspiring. Personally think Ox and Lallana will go, then 1 of Lambert or Carroll.

Lambert's pass on Saturday reminded me of MLT. Not seen many people play such a perfect ball. He is a terrific passer of the ball, already showed that for England and offers something other strikers don't.

I think Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert have to go. 3 different strikers all of who can get on crosses, stay in the box or drift wide but have their own strengths. Beyond that Welbeck or Rodriguez. JRod is playing a hell of a lot better, I think they're similar in ability BUT you have to admit Welbeck hasn't been bad for England and perhaps he should get in based on that. Wouldn't play either of them anyway.

I'm reluctant to get excited as I think it's going to be hugely frustrating, but Lallana, Chamberlain, Barkley, Wilshere all being available provides some serious midfield talent.

Cant really argue with this other then Roy will look at Carroll or Lambert. Two very different players despite what some of the papers say. In Lambert you have someone who is very techincal, will probably shield the ball well (he certainly does in the PL) and find his team mates but in Carroll you have someone a bit pacier and that will cause havoc. Potentially both are usefull.

Lallana will be on the plane make no mistake about it.

As for Jay, itll be dependant on him keeping banging the goals in until the end of the season, Welbecks form and potentially how they both play in the friendly. I certainly dont think that Welbecks as bad as is often made out but arguably Jay Rod is more in form and now has that golden ticket as he can be part of a group of players called up.

Welbeck is a cert to go, he has done a reasonable job for England despite his limited ability. We have seen that his club form is irrelevant (in all fairness he has scored a few more this season than last). I think even Roy might finally have realised that Cleverley offers very little, there are plenty of better options.

Welbeck is a cert to go, he has done a reasonable job for England despite his limited ability. We have seen that his club form is irrelevant (in all fairness he has scored a few more this season than last). I think even Roy might finally have realised that Cleverley offers very little, there are plenty of better options.

it would be a joke if cleverley goes as well as Rodwell

both been horrific this season

cleverley is such a bad footabller with so much hype (or used to)

The squad is difficult is to pick and some of the 'dead certs' seem to have picked up more than one injury this season - Wilshere and Johnson currently injured Jones and Smalling both went off injured for Man Utd on Saturday and have both been injured previously this season...

The telegraph have a good page where you can pick the squad: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10497297/World-Cup-2014-England-Squad-Selector-pick-your-23-then-compare-to-our-choices.html

Of their available options I think you can completely dis-regard: Green, Butland, Bertrand, Gibbs, Lescott, Terry, Shawcross, Jenkinson, Ferdinand, Caulker, Richards, Downing, Huddlestone, Ince, Morrison, Rodwell, Shelvey, Ward-Prowse, Agbonlahor, Berahino, Young, Walcott.

Very outside chance as it stands: Cleverley, Lennon, Defoe, Zaha.

Goalkeepers: - nothing much to say here

Hart,

Foster

Ruddy/Forster - fighting out for third spot.

Defenders: - The final 8 seem pretty certain, but could we risk going just 7 defenders? Who is back up if one of the centre backs get injured?

Walker

Johnson (Clyne in competition for this spot, or Roy may pick 7 defenders and Use Smalling as both CB and RB cover)

Cahill

Jagielka

Baines

Jones

Smalling (Not sure what we do if one of the nailed on 4 CB get's/stays injured, I guess Dawson would be next in line...*shudders*)

Cole (Shaw in competition for this spot, if he decides Cole isn't getting enough game time in the league, in which case Baines promoted to first choice)

Midfielders: - by far the most competition here

Carrick (Barry as back up, not a great option, but has been playing well, would be suprised to see both get picked)

Gerrard

Lampard (A lot of people seem to think he won't get picked, but I don't think Roy has the ******** to do that - Henderson has been playing well and could step in)

Oxlade Chamberlain (Townsend could fight for this position, is there room for both?)

Wilshere (again, Henderson could take this place if Wilshere injured)

Lallana (Adam Johnson back up)

Barkley

Milner (Townsend could take this position quite easily, but I can't see Roy dropping Milner)

Up front:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck (Rodriguez back up)

Lambert/Carroll fighting out for a position who knows the winner

Personally I'd take just 7 defenders and make a space for one of my mentioned back-up midfielders or attackers, but think Roy will take 8.

The squad is difficult is to pick and some of the 'dead certs' seem to have picked up more than one injury this season - Wilshere and Johnson currently injured Jones and Smalling both went off injured for Man Utd on Saturday and have both been injured previously this season...

The telegraph have a good page where you can pick the squad: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10497297/World-Cup-2014-England-Squad-Selector-pick-your-23-then-compare-to-our-choices.html

Of their available options I think you can completely dis-regard: Green, Butland, Bertrand, Gibbs, Lescott, Terry, Shawcross, Jenkinson, Ferdinand, Caulker, Richards, Downing, Huddlestone, Ince, Morrison, Rodwell, Shelvey, Ward-Prowse, Agbonlahor, Berahino, Young, Walcott.

Very outside chance as it stands: Cleverley, Lennon, Defoe, Zaha.

Goalkeepers: - nothing much to say here

Hart,

Foster

Ruddy/Forster - fighting out for third spot.

Defenders: - The final 8 seem pretty certain, but could we risk going just 7 defenders? Who is back up if one of the centre backs get injured?

Walker

Johnson (Clyne in competition for this spot, or Roy may pick 7 defenders and Use Smalling as both CB and RB cover)

Cahill

Jagielka

Baines

Jones

Smalling (Not sure what we do if one of the nailed on 4 CB get's/stays injured, I guess Dawson would be next in line...*shudders*)

Cole (Shaw in competition for this spot, if he decides Cole isn't getting enough game time in the league, in which case Baines promoted to first choice)

Midfielders: - by far the most competition here

Carrick (Barry as back up, not a great option, but has been playing well, would be suprised to see both get picked)

Gerrard

Lampard (A lot of people seem to think he won't get picked, but I don't think Roy has the ******** to do that - Henderson has been playing well and could step in)

Oxlade Chamberlain (Townsend could fight for this position, is there room for both?)

Wilshere (again, Henderson could take this place if Wilshere injured)

Lallana (Adam Johnson back up)

Barkley

Milner (Townsend could take this position quite easily, but I can't see Roy dropping Milner)

Up front:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck (Rodriguez back up)

Lambert/Carroll fighting out for a position who knows the winner

Personally I'd take just 7 defenders and make a space for one of my mentioned back-up midfielders or attackers, but think Roy will take 8.

Only Hansen and Smith choose Lallana :-o

Heard Ian Wright on 606 yesterday suggest this midfield:

Wilshere Gerrard

Chamberlain Barkley Lallana

Wouldn't be the worst, certainly fresh and positive anyway, great technically, workrate, possession, pace, skill. But worry how Wilshere and Gerrard would get on. Options limited though. Would like to see all those young players starting, but feel Henderson has a role to play.

Last time this happened Wilshere wandered all over the place, which is pretty ironic considering thats usually Gerrards trait, Gerrard and Cork would be excellent

Which ball winning CMs are better than Cork?

I really struggle to think who they are. Who even plays there? It isn't Wilshere's position and Gerrard doesn't do it for me. Henderson has been very good to be fair, forgot about him, he should go. But isn't he a bit more attacking? Barry?

You are asking the wrong question....

Name decent english qualifying ball winning midfielders...

Jack Cork,

Morgan,

Gareth Barry?

James Milner ;)

:mcinnes:

I'm stuck :(

In all seriousness.... Jack deserves a cap in one of the upcoming friendlies...

However, if Poch is going to drop him for the kenyan donkey upon his immediate return to fitness what chance does he have of playing for england.

Should be

Hart, Forster, Foster

Baines, Cole, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Clyne

Wilshere, Henderson, Carrick, Milner, Chamberlain, Lallana, Rodriguez, Shelvey, Adam Johnson

Wellbeck, Rooney, Lambert, Sturridge.

It will be... (FACT! baring Glen Johnson being out and injuries ofc)

Hart, Forster, Foster

Baines, Cole, Jones, Jagielka, Smalling, Cahill, Walker

Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Wilshere, Henderson, Chamberlain, Lallana, Milner, Townsend

Wellbeck, Rooney, Sturridge, Carroll

Find it odd Shawcross hasn't had a chance when there are so few CBs. Smalling is poor and 4th choice, but you need to take 4. After that it's Dawson who is struggling. Who else? Curtis Davies? Playing well this season. Think Terry would ruin some positivity and divide opinion too much, and likely get a ban for his racism charge if he did make himself available.

Thought Caulker would kick on this season...but

Find it odd Shawcross hasn't had a chance when there are so few CBs. Smalling is poor and 4th choice, but you need to take 4. After that it's Dawson who is struggling. Who else? Curtis Davies? Playing well this season. Think Terry would ruin some positivity and divide opinion too much, and likely get a ban for his racism charge if he did make himself available.

Shawcross got given a chance and looked awful at the top level. He's also hardly setting the world alight at Stoke, their strong defensive record is well on the wane. John Terry is a massive c*nt but, right now, he's the best English central defender out there.

Lallana is a definite, Ricky will go if Carroll doesn't do anything special, JRod is more of an outsider but a possibility if he keeps his performances right up.

I'd also take Clyne, he's simply the best English right back at the moment IMO - just doesn't get the attention he deserves.

Lallana is a definite, Ricky will go if Carroll doesn't do anything special, JRod is more of an outsider but a possibility if he keeps his performances right up.

I'd also take Clyne, he's simply the best English right back at the moment IMO - just doesn't get the attention he deserves.

Jay Rod looked pretty poor in his first international probably because he was not used to the system being played so I would be surprised if he was picked again at the moment but maybe after the World Cup OXO Milner and Welbeck are more likely to be included .

I think Baines will be the first choice LB with Cole as back up mainly because of his experience but Shaw will take over from him after the World Cup.

RB is interesting though if Clyne was going to go surely he would have been included before now but with Johnson injured he may well be in the next squad but Hodgson may be looking for a more defensive fullback as the England defence is not that good and lacks pace covering the Fullbacks.

Not sure about Lambert the heat in Brazil maybe against him but if he plays like he did at Fulham he has every chance but Carroll does upset defenders in the air.

Although I would like too see Saints players at the world cup it is going to upset our pre season if so many are involved

Lallana will go