• Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Cork
    • Clyne
    • Gallagher

Back from the game via train from London and then a lot of pubs in Nottingham.

1st half MOM Boruc by a mile, Wanyama nice to see him back but didn't have a good half. Rest of team seemed a bit slow.

2nd half WOW, Cracking goal by Lallana, Rickie's was better, and then J-Rod's was sublime. In my opinion, my man of match was Cork.

Atmosphere wise, ugh on those clapper things, but the Saints fans outsung all of that.

Best away game of season for me. (only been to three, WDL now)

Thoroughly satisfying game in the end, after a first half that needed a few cracking Boruc saves to keep us in it.

Fulham didn't actually look great in the first half, but managed a few shots that needed saving - King Artur is back to his best though so no bother.

I have to say, if Osvaldo was on the bench today it's exactly the sort of game and performance I wouldn't want him coming on and lumbering through. We looked fantastic without him. Rickie has been nowhere near as bad as some have made out recently, but today was awesome. He created so much, and that pass for Jay's goal was simply sublime.

Cork and Clyne both did great off the bench and Hodgson was in the stands to see the 3 saints England lads all score cracking goals.

Fantastic way to start a Saturday evening! COYRS!

Those of you who slag RL off do not understand what he contributes. Two great passes, two goals plus a goal himself. What more do you want! Will take a lot of replacing.

Against a team who will be playing in the Championship next season.

He had a good game but we will need to upgrade in the summer. Goals-wise he's taken his tally to 4 from open play this season and we need a centre-forward with mobility. Did well in the second half though. More of the same please.

Football is a simple game they say, and let's face it 'they' in this instance are not wrong.

Surely one of the very simplest, and yet one of the most important, aspects of the game to get right is to make pretty damn sure that you secure the services of a (very) good Goal Keeper. I personally think Kelvin did brilliantly for us in our rise up the league pyramid, but in Artur Boruc we have obviously found the true Premier League level keeper any team looking to achieve some level of sustained success in this division will doubtless require.

While most of the attention is focused on which of our many (excellent) English players will go to Brazil in the summer, it seems to me that yesterdays result at Craven Cottage was actually built upon the foundation of Boruc's outstanding work in the first half. It's a terrible old cliche but nevertheless still true - as long as you don't concede too often then you'll normally have some sort of chance in most games.

With the reassuring presence of a keeper of Artur Boruc's manifest class in the squad, you get the distinct impression that there won't be all that many times when this team of ours won't find itself having some sort of chance of getting a decent result. Artur Boruc is worth his weight in gold.

He had a good game but we will need to upgrade in the summer. Goals-wise he's taken his tally to 4 from open play this season and we need a centre-forward with mobility. Did well in the second half though. More of the same please.

Sorry, but I feel your comments show that you don't understand what Rickie brings to the team. Try and watch Rickie for 10 minutes in a game, maybe you'll begin to appreciate how fantastic a footballing brain he has. Rickie is a fantastic player and a legend for Southampton.

Remember Le Tissier wasn't quick and appeared lazy, but he had fantastic feet and awareness.

Both are Saints legends and should be beyond criticism as footballers.

Edited by Andy Durman

I was busy during the first half so didn't watch a stream, but listened to Merson on Sky Sport saying how great we were playing. So was abit surprised to see the footballing experts of SaintsWeb saying how carp we had been during half time.

Watched the second half though, and what a half! 3 fantastic goals. A great performance from all the team. Really hard to pick a MoM. It could go to: Boruc for those great saves in the first half (chances which came completely against the run of play according to Mers - although 'just doing what he is paid to do' according to one SW expert); Cork for turning the game around when he came on; Yoshida for a commanding CB performance; Lallana for yet another Captain Fantastic performance; JRod for leading the line so well and a quite sublime finish for the third.

But, I think I will give it to the player who FF assured us, only a couple of days ago, would be out for the next few weeks. For someone sat on the treatment table at SMS - someone who many other SW experts had written off as 'past it' and 'nowhere near as good as he was last season' (despite playing and scoring for England this season) - he did a fantastic job to score his 100th league goal for Saints and to set up 2 more, with inch perfect passes. Yes, arise, Sir Rickie Lambert!! If you play this well whilst being out for a few weeks I am really looking forward to what you will do when back in the team! ;)

Brilliant result, thats the sort of scoreline we've been threatening to get in the last couple of games. As much as it's disappointing to only get 5 points from the last 3 games, it shows we're getting back on track whilst also taking away the spotlight from off field events, which can only be a good thing. I said on the match thread that some of our other players (Morgan, Cork, Davis and Big Vic) needed to start chipping in with some goals, but when our England trio up top are on that sort of form I guess it's not so important! 3 excellent goals, J Rod's being the highlight for me, best finish and a great ball from Lambo (his legs have gone so I've heard on here, so he now resorts to hopeful punts up the field lol). Nice to see Roy watching too, I think Lallana has sealed his plane ticket already. Lambert is 50/50, needs another 6/7 goals IMO. J Rod is improving all the time, just not sure if his international debut will count against him. Personally I would have those 3 along with Clyne in there. A few more winnable games coming up, I think we'd all be happy with 40 points and a cup quarter final going into March

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

My only criticism of him was that he should play number 10 role as it suits him and not the lone striker role that just doesnt suit him anymore.

He played lone striker first half and no 10 second.

Yes, we all know that.

However he simply shouldn't have started today as .... shock .... he was not fit. He was puffing and blowing after 10 minutes, Cork should have started and that second half performance would have come earlier had he started!

Fact.

I totally agree.

To get up to match speed in Training is impossible you must play matches. I don't think we could have expected more from Wanyana.

I didn't agree with Cork being dropped, but who can disagree with 0-3 maybe MP knew what he was doing????

Edited by Andy Durman

Both are Legends & beyond criticism

What I mean by this is that both have done so much for Saints. They have given everything and I hate to hear their footballing ability criticised by people not qualified to make such judgements

Of course they should be able to be criticised, nobody is above any form of criticism. Aome of what is said about RL is far OTT but I dont think its unfair to say that he cant really cut it up top on his own anymore. He looks much better a bit further back just like he did today.

My only criticism of him was that he should play number 10 role as it suits him and not the lone striker role that just doesnt suit him anymore.

Good passer of the ball, could easily play the Teddy Sheringham type role.

Exactly, takes a bit of pressure off aswell.

Coming from deep always means you get picked up late, which is part of how he got his goal yesterday and also why Jay is so effective

If RL is to play in a deeper role, we need a striker with the mobility, pace and power to stretch backlines that will open up space between them and the midfield for the likes of RL to thrive.

While Jrod did that in the second half when he moved up top, allowing Rickie to drop deeper, he has not done it well consistently enough.

Edited by shurlock

Watching Lallanas interview after the game, anyone else thinking it was a sort of a plea to the club to tie MP down on a extended contract asap??

''We're all absolutely loving working under such a world class manager....''

Does make you wonder just how many would start to leave if MP did go in the summer.

Watching Lallanas interview after the game, anyone else thinking it was a sort of a plea to the club to tie MP down on a extended contract asap??

Why? MP's results arent that much better than Adkins when he has more or less same resources at his disposal :rolleyes:

Another mongboard pearl of wisdom.

If RL is to play in a deeper role, we need a striker with the mobility, pace and power to stretch backlines that will open up space between them and the midfield for the likes of RL to thrive.

While Jrod did that in the second half when he moved up top, allowing Rickie to drop deeper, he has not done it well consistently enough.

I think we need that sort of striker anyway, currently we dont really have one thats capable, Jay has the attributes but always looks better from wide. SG is v green but could be that man and RL has everything except the legs.

Ossie was that man IMO but he was a fruitloop. Id be inclined to slightly change the tactics to incorperate RLs inclusion until the summer and push on from there.

For me, this was the key to the game yesterday, rather than Cork coming on for Wanyama.

Once Lambert dropped deeper and started getting on the ball and pulling the strings, the rest of the forward players came alive, and there was only going to be one winner after that.

So, although Cork played well second half, Lambert was MOTM for me, as he was ultimately the match winner for us.

For me, this was the key to the game yesterday, rather than Cork coming on for Wanyama.

Once Lambert dropped deeper and started getting on the ball and pulling the strings, the rest of the forward players came alive, and there was only going to be one winner after that.

So, although Cork played well second half, Lambert was MOTM for me, as he was ultimately the match winner for us.

True, though wonder if Lambert could pull the strings in a truly crowded midfield (he's struggled in the past). He was helped yesterday by (i) their two CBs who while aerially dominant were terrified by Jrod's pace and stood off and (ii) their two fullbacks who like to bomb on and got caught consistently out of position. That's not going to happen every week.

Ricky back to something like his old self. Stupendous pass for Jay Rods goal.

Coincidence that his form has started to return since Nutvaldo has gone?

or more likely that he had an injury (hamstring) that he was carrying and after missing 2 games with said injury he is fit again.

lol , I do hope you are kidding

I doubt that he is, sadly. I remember this fixture last year, when we drew 1-1 in the pouring rain, and the Fulham fans beforehand were full of "we'll get a result against these no-hopers - we're a solid mid-table team and Saints are relegation fodder." We got a result and played quite well, but the way the team performs now looks light years ahead, even though it's basically with the same players (Boruc and first-half VW aside).

I doubt that he is, sadly. I remember this fixture last year, when we drew 1-1 in the pouring rain, and the Fulham fans beforehand were full of "we'll get a result against these no-hopers - we're a solid mid-table team and Saints are relegation fodder." We got a result and played quite well, but the way the team performs now looks light years ahead, even though it's basically with the same players (Boruc and first-half VW aside).

:facepalm: :mcinnes:

Rickie is a fantastic player and a legend for Southampton.

Both are Saints legends and should be beyond criticism as footballers.

There you have it gents. Its out in the open and right there in black and white; you cannot criticise Lambert. Not because he's had a good season or is likely to be an effective player against the big clubs, but because:

"Rickie Lambert is a Saints legend and therefore should be beyond criticism as a footballer"

Incidentally I think Rickie has his uses and had a good game yesterday but what the above attitude is making it much harder to appreciate his efforts!

Great result! Everyone played immense. Rickie MOTM for me for his goal (which was brilliantly hit) and the two assists ( the second, absolutely sublime). I can't believe some people on here getting on his back! recently. The man is up there with MLT for what he's done for us!

Motm for me Mr Lambert.

Boruc , Lallana , Cork , Morgan, Jay Rod , Shaw, Clyne , Chambers, Fonte, Davis , Yoshida, Gallagher and Wanyama....all a close second.:)

Did I forget anyone?

What a team.

The Mighty Saints....just marvellous.:D

Poch and coaching staff....brilliant

SORRY.....Forgot to mention the world class Saints supporters.:D