• Davis, S
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Cork
    • Clyne
    • Gallagher

Fulham 0 England 3

Great tactic from Pochettino to play Wanyama in the first half to nullify Fulham then bring Cork on in the 2nd to ramp things up.

Onwards and upwards... Top 6 here we come...

Wishful thinking old lad, Wanyama was a liability got himself booked looked all at sea so he had to come off. He's no better than Cork so why change things around?

uPt a Cork in it! What a difference he made to Schneiderlin and the whole team after the break. How could Pochettino have left him out? Also good to see Clyne back in as much as we love Chambers.

For once a crap first half followed by a brilliant second but a great win and it could / should have been more. Great stuff from Staplewood. COYR

Two reasons, give him a rest, and also bring VW back to match fitness gradually. There was quite an outcry when Cork, and Yoshida returned and were not immediately up to the pace required, so it seems a reasonable step to take.

Having the sit quietly in the Fulham while in front of me Saints demolished Fulham in the 2nd half was hard work, especially as Saints fans were in fine voice.

First half was very drab with very much a feeling of after the lord mayor's show to it in comparison with Arsenal performance. Fulham just about shaded it calling Boruc into a couple of smart saves. They were saves i'd always hope a keeper of Boruc's ability would save though. I can understand the decision to bring Wanyama back in as i do think he acts as a defensive shield. Today Fulham were sitting so the decision to bring on Cork who i personally think aids the slick attacking passing football we played in 2nd half. Lovely to see Saints english attackers taking it in turns to get on the scoresheet and the 'off to Brazil chants that followed'. Once Lallana scored he just got better and better. Jrod's goal was nice but if i was a Fulham fan i'd be annoyed at Hangeland giving him a free ride to do so. Good to see Rickie score, which should shut the 'his legs have gone' crowd for a day or two. Personally thought his link up play in 2nd half was excellent but it always has been. The way we play means he gets less scoring opportunities than he did in the lower leagues but he's still class. I just hope the inability to bring in cover for him doesn't backfire on us.

As brilliant as SRL was in the 2nd half he was as poor in the 1st.

Jay led the line wonderfully 2nd half giving SRL much more time on the ball to pick a pass and knit it all together.

J rod was awful first half tho and also didn't pass to rickie in two occasions that rickie was in great position to score.

Wishful thinking old lad, Wanyama was a liability got himself booked looked all at sea so he had to come off. He's no better than Cork so why change things around?

Replays showed Wanyama's booking was more than harsh.

Wow, where to start...

Steven Davis....what a player he is! I don't think I have ever witnessed a Southampton player with the energy and reliability that he possesses. I actually believe he is now one of the first names of the team sheet and rightly so.

You want to look at the build up thread, soom as Cork was left out there were a few who couldn't even spell his name saying he should be dropped and Morgan pushed into his place. Seriously underrated player, makes us tick, his lay off to Clyne for the second was sublime

Wasn't at the game today but funny to see people slating Wanyama for a poor performance - the guy's just come back from a 6 week layoff. Boruc wasn't exactly sharp when he came back from his injury either, but he's back to his best now. I do have to say that Jack Cork has been absolutely sublime recently, in the first half last week he was unplayable.

Pleased with the win, even though it was expected. While catching up on the first half action at HT on my break from work I had that horrible feeling that Fulham would nick a goal from somewhere and we'd end up losing, but it sounds like we were absolutely flying in the second half. Hopefully we can keep this form going and finally get out of that sticky patch from December!

Wasn't at the game today but funny to see people slating Wanyama for a poor performance - the guy's just come back from a 6 week layoff. Boruc wasn't exactly sharp when he came back from his injury either, but he's back to his best now. I do have to say that Jack Cork has been absolutely sublime recently, in the first half last week he was unplayable.

Pleased with the win, even though it was expected. While catching up on the first half action at HT on my break from work I had that horrible feeling that Fulham would nick a goal from somewhere and we'd end up losing, but it sounds like we were absolutely flying in the second half. Hopefully we can keep this form going and finally get out of that sticky patch from December!

Exactly. You weren't there, so you didn't see.

He was utter w*nk. Horrible in the first half. Both Turkish and I commented how he was puffing and blowing after the first 10 minutes - made the difference when Cork came on.

Typical of many of here, a player comes back after a longtime out and he is slagged off. We have missed him big time, and whilst Cork is a decent player he is too lightweight for a lot of the more physical teams in our league. Welcome back Victor and well done Cork.

Typical of many of here, a player comes back after a longtime out and he is slagged off. We have missed him big time, and whilst Cork is a decent player he is too lightweight for a lot of the more physical teams in our league. Welcome back Victor and well done Cork.

Not slagged off, just saying how it is. He was poor. Very poor against the worst side on the league

He is miles better than that. mp took him off at HT. Doubt that was a mistake

He was utter w*nk. Horrible in the first half. Both Turkish and I commented how he was puffing and blowing after the first 10 minutes - made the difference when Cork came on.

Patrick, Patrick, Patrick Victor broke his leg. It will take him time to reach the levels he achieved before his injury. Give him a little time!

Too lightweight?????? He plays a different game to Wanyama and brings the best out of Schneiderlin. Does Cork bring more to the team as a whole?? Today Yes!

Lad in returns from a broken leg and is lacking match fitness shocker :mcinnes:

Too lightweight?????? He plays a different game to Wanyama and brings the best out of Schneiderlin. Does Cork bring more to the team as a whole?? Today Yes!

I suspect our decent run at the start of the season was stopped when VW and Boruc were out. If it is between Cork or Victor then I suspect Victor will be the choice as he is of greater physical presence. Iam not against. Cork by the way but believe VW gives us far more solidity!I hope MP can find a way of keeping all our midfielders match fit and rotated so they are all given match time

Patrick, Patrick, Patrick Victor broke his leg. It will take him time to reach the levels he achieved before his injury. Give him a little time!

Yes, we all know that.

However he simply shouldn't have started today as .... shock .... he was not fit. He was puffing and blowing after 10 minutes, Cork should have started and that second half performance would have come earlier had he started!

Fact.

Yes, we all know that.

However he simply shouldn't have started today as .... shock .... he was not fit. He was puffing and blowing after 10 minutes, Cork should have started and that second half performance would have come earlier had he started!

Fact.

Apparently Cork wasn't 100% to start the match.

Yes, we all know that.

Fact.

He's only going to get fit by getting game time -so it's a chicken and situation. It's not like he hasn't been training or doing conditioning work and just been thrown in. If as Poch says Cork was tired and the plan wasn't to let Vic play the full 90 then I have no probs with the team selection.

All in all, good dilemma to have going especially if Vic returns to the form we saw just before he got injured I.e. Arsenal away where he was absolutely imperious.

Yes, we all know that.

Fact.

FACT ? ?? It is impossible to say that things would have changed. The real fact is that MP changed things around upfront as well as Cork in midfield.

Having the sit quietly in the Fulham while in front of me Saints demolished Fulham in the 2nd half was hard work, especially as Saints fans were in fine voice.

First half was very drab with very much a feeling of after the lord mayor's show to it in comparison with Arsenal performance. Fulham just about shaded it calling Boruc into a couple of smart saves. They were saves i'd always hope a keeper of Boruc's ability would save though. I can understand the decision to bring Wanyama back in as i do think he acts as a defensive shield. Today Fulham were sitting so the decision to bring on Cork who i personally think aids the slick attacking passing football we played in 2nd half. Lovely to see Saints english attackers taking it in turns to get on the scoresheet and the 'off to Brazil chants that followed'. Once Lallana scored he just got better and better. Jrod's goal was nice but if i was a Fulham fan i'd be annoyed at Hangeland giving him a free ride to do so. Good to see Rickie score, which should shut the 'his legs have gone' crowd for a day or two. Personally thought his link up play in 2nd half was excellent but it always has been. The way we play means he gets less scoring opportunities than he did in the lower leagues but he's still class. I just hope the inability to bring in cover for him doesn't backfire on us.

Agree with all of the above. Undoubtedly it was Boruc who kept us in the game first half. Couple of super saves.

Wanyama was a liability. Slow, and couldn't pass to save his life. Transformed after the interval with the introduction of Cork. What a player. Perfect foil for Morgan who I thought was MOM.

Yes, we all know that.

Fact.

Fan in 'player can get match fit without playing discovery'. Get down to the patent office lad, I'm sure they'd love to see you.... Jesus wept. Rolls eyes, remembers why he doesn't bother coming here much any more...

I too sat amongst the Fulham fans. They were bullish at having survived intact during the first half, which I agree we looked a bit flat. But the decision to replace VW who was clearly not yet match sharp, with Cork, combined with Fulham pushing forward looking to win, allowed us to exploit gaps between the lines in the second half. When we scored the first, both the Fulham team and the Fulham crowd went flat, and by the time we scored the second they started leaving in ones and twos which turned to a flood when the third went in.

Spent the evening in the eight bells with a group of Finns who came over for the game, one was a Saints fan since the early nineties. Great day out.

Btw, didn't we have a few posters who were bemoaning that we could only score from set pieces after the first few games. The five goals we have scored this week from open play were a joy to watch.

Boruc was outstanding today.Easy man off the match.Made some super save the first half keeping use in the game. Once the first goal went in Fulham, heads just dropped. One of the best away days since league One. Cracking day COYR........ Talking off heads dropping think its bye-bye Fulham your be dropping.....

Mistake by Pochettino to drop Cork for Wanyama. Could very well have cost us the game, he kept on giving the ball away and putting us under pressure. Only Boruc made sure it wasn't 3 - 0 to them at half time. I've also got serious doubts about Yoshida. Couldn't head the ball away to save his life, smacked it up field aimlessly far too often, just a liability.

An outstanding last 25 or so minutes though and three very welcome points. Good support too.

Mistake by Pochettino to drop Cork for Wanyama. Could very well have cost us the game, he kept on giving the ball away and putting us under pressure. Only Boruc made sure it wasn't 3 - 0 to them at half time. I've also got serious doubts about Yoshida. Couldn't head the ball away to save his life, smacked it up field aimlessly far too often, just a liability.

An outstanding last 25 or so minutes though and three very welcome points. Good support too.

Today's performance?

:mcinnes:

What did cork do to deserve being left out? Wanyama wasn't fit and was blowing after 10 minutes. Unless cork was being rested it was a ridiculous decision to drop him.

Other than that what superb second half display, 3 excellent goals, some lovely football and really good support.

Terrible first half, amazing second. Could have been 2/3 down at half time if it wasn't for Boruc (who is my motm today)

Second half Lallana was unplayable and made Fulham look silly :)

Possibly the ultimate game of two halves characterised mostly by wanyama coming off who had a nightmare return from injury

What did cork do to deserve being left out? Wanyama wasn't fit and was blowing after 10 minutes. Unless cork was being rested it was a ridiculous decision to drop him.

Other than that what superb second half display, 3 excellent goals, some lovely football and really good support.

MP said Cork needed rest, VW needed game time.

Tbf Cork was far from sharp and match speed when first came.

If both fit tight call but think VW shades for me as more complete

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

27c31eecfb4f7c59300db3dbc12223b9_bigger.jpegMatch of the Day@BBCMOTD

Check out the #MOTD team of the day, which is dominated by Southampton and Sunderland players, at http://bbc.co.uk/motd

• [h=2]Team of the Day - February 1st[/h]
    1. Vito Mannone (Sunderland). The former Arsenal 'keeper made nine saves against Newcastle, more than any other goalkeeper in the top division on Saturday.

2. Phil Bardsley (Sunderland) Got forwarrd to muster one attempt on goal and create one goal-scoring chance for a team-mate as well as winning all three of his tackles.

3. Jose Fonte (Southampton) made 14 clearances on the day, twice as many as any other Southampton player, as well as creating a goal-scoring chance for a team-mate.

4. Ben Turner (Cardiff City). The Bluebirds' defender racked up 21 clearances on Saturday, more than any other Premier League player on the day.

5. Marcos Alonso (Sunderland) created four goal-scoring chances for team-mates, more than any other Premier League defender on Saturday.

6. Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City). Goal-scorer Robert Snodgrass made 70 touches in the opposition half, more than any other player in the top divison on Saturday.

7. Charlie Adam (Stoke City) has now scored seven goals this season in the Premier League, two more goals than he managed in 2011-12 and 2012-13 combined (5).

8. Kevin Nolan (West Ham United). 22 of Kevin Nolan’s 26 Premier League goals since the start of 2010-11 have come at home (85%).

9. Craig Bellamy (Cardiff City) became the first player in Premier League history to score for seven different clubs in the competition.

10. Rickie Lambert (Southampton) scored his 100th league goal for Southampton in this game.

11. Adam Lallana (Southampton) has scored (4) or assisted (3) seven goals in his last eight Premier League appearances.

•  

Wanyama clearly wasn't match fit and had the touch of a ra*ist today. Perhaps a few games in the U21s to get match sharp.

Cork made a massive, massive difference as not only does he help break up the play he moves the ball quickly and then makes himself available gain.

Not sure I want racists playing for Saints.

I remember watching a game under Poortvliet, dark days, but at the heart of midfield was a promising pair of Schneiderlin and Cork.

Quite amazing to think years later these two have become 2 of the top flight's best midfielders, and Lallana is still playing with them too!

I had forgotten Cork played for us on loan then, but wasn't he playing as a right back then?