Danny Fox joins Forest

swannymere

Great guy and good pro - did a good job for us.

Who covers LB now?

Interesting that Katharina Liebherr said nobody would leave - the Lee, Sharp, Barnard, Fox and Martin all leave :lol:

Osvaldo out next please :)

I think it's more a case of nobody who we want to keep or who we see as part of our future is going to leave ie: Shaw, Lallana, Cork etc.....we did need to move some players on to free up space in the squad and bring the wage bill down, and out of those mentioned above, are there any whose departure really weakens the squad?? Thanks for what you've contributed to the club in getting us this far, now it's time to take the next step and hopefully they will all get opportunties to play regularly elsewhere.....

Made some vital assists in the promotion season and always gave 100%. No shame in not being good enough for PL football.

Hope he does well. Always remember that Shaw said Fox has given him the most support of any player in our squad. Deserves respect for that.

You already summed it up nicely, so I'll just quote it as a +1 :)

Maybe not a hate mob, but he did get tons of stick at times, a lot of it unecessary.

I remember in the 12/13 season vs Swansea. I was sat in the chapel and I think it was Jose/Shaw who lost the ball on the half way line and Dyer went onto score. The 2 blokes behind be started laying into Fox. "Get him off Fox is awful". "Thats why you don't have idiots like fox in the team". "We should have never have signed fox, didn't even bother tracking back".

About 2 mins later fox came on as a substitute. Everyone in the area just turned around and looked at them both, they didn't say much after that!

Lots of unfair stick given to him.

Good luck Dan and thanks Mate.

Proper footballer who did us proud in the Champiobnship.

(Contrary to SWF ideas, it is not the player's role to find a better replacement for themselves when they are out of their depth)

Absolutely right.

He always gave 110% and to his credit he tried hard not to let the negativity from sections of the crowd get him down.

It's stuff like that moaning and picking on players that I enjoy least about being a Saints fan.

However Dan's in good company, the great Terry Paine got piles of abuse in his later years at the Dell.

Hope he does well at Forest.

Chambers and Clyne are the cover for Shaw. Fox wasn't making the match day squad of 18.

But all it takes is for one of Shaw, Clyne or Chambers to get injured and then we have no cover for full backs at all.

Anyway, who knows, we now might get a full back on loan to cover Fox leaving..

But all it takes is for one of Shaw, Clyne or Chambers to get injured and then we have no cover for full backs at all.

Anyway, who knows, we now might get a full back on loan to cover Fox leaving..

Cork and Ward-Prowse can play as fullbacks and have done so in games, as can Yoshida at a stretch. Not ideal, but they are still further options.

As Fox wasn't making the match day 18, its not an attractive position for someone to replace. Perhaps they will promote from within from the development squad to take Fox's place in the first team squad.

He cost us £1.8M. How much do think we could get back for him? £1M? £500k?

I don't think it particularly matters that much. That £1.8m was an investment on getting us promoted and to that extent we have made a large profit on him. We might not even get £500k, it might be simply a case of moving him on for the sake of his career and getting him off the wage books.

Thanks Danny. Adjectives like hopeless, useless etc. shouldn't be used to describe what you gave to the club.

You had far more better games than blinkered fans gave you credit for and, once or twice your cross field Hollywood passes even came off :)

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

Pochettino has confirmed that Matt Targett will now join the first team squad on a permanent basis.

I wonder if thats where the speculation about Shaw is coming from. If we really have two outstanding 18 year old left backs it would be impossible to keep them both happy - so pocket the £30m and strengthen elsewhere?

This is from a year ago. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/01/04/3645637/chelsea-arsenal-liverpool-track-southampton-teenager-matt

Made some vital assists in the promotion season and always gave 100%. No shame in not being good enough for PL football.

Hope he does well. Always remember that Shaw said Fox has given him the most support of any player in our squad. Deserves respect for that.

A very fair assessment - a good, honest committed footballer, but just not quite Prem quality. I wish him all the best.

I had forgotten about that. To put one's ego aside to help a youngster of greater natural talent takes balls and a big heart. I upgrade my best wishes to my heart felt best wishes for his future.

Good luck to him seemed like a nice guy. Not terrible going forward but couldn't defend for toffee, so often out of position in wasn't funny, and he wasn't fond of tackling much either. If Nottingham forest fans are hoping for something way better than Harding (and Fox is probably a tiny bit better than Harding ,at least going forward) they are going to be pretty disappointed... Still if it makes room for another of our seemingly endless academy talent to play I'm happy.

I wonder if thats where the speculation about Shaw is coming from. If we really have two outstanding 18 year old left backs it would be impossible to keep them both happy - so pocket the £30m and strengthen elsewhere?

This is from a year ago. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/01/04/3645637/chelsea-arsenal-liverpool-track-southampton-teenager-matt

That is flying in the face of the posts above saying that with Fox going we are light on cover at left back. Sell Shaw and that still leaves us in the same position. We have 2 quality right backs - it will do no harm, in fact it is essential, to have 2 quality left backs.

Good luck to him seemed like a nice guy. Not terrible going forward but couldn't defend for toffee, so often out of position in wasn't funny, and he wasn't fond of tackling much either. If Nottingham forest fans are hoping for something way better than Harding (and Fox is probably a tiny bit better than Harding ,at least going forward) they are going to be pretty disappointed... Still if it makes room for another of our seemingly endless academy talent to play I'm happy.

You would be a blast at funerals! ;)

You would be a blast at funerals! ;)

Can't help it the guy gave me bloody kittens every time I watched him play. You could have run a train through left side of defence every time he played. Luke Shaw was like a breath of fresh air after watching Fox play. I hope the guy does well at Forest but he has to be one of my least favourite saints players of the last few seasons.

Edited by doddisalegend

Do a job normally means cover if we are stuck. What job were you thinking?

A player is only "good back up" if he is capable of playing at the level his club are at, even if only coming on as a sub or when the 1st choice is injured/suspended.

Jack Cork for example is a good central midfield back up for Victor Wanyama because Jack Cork is a good player at Premier League level. Danny Fox cannot play at Premier League level well and is a disaster waiting to happen whenever he is on the pitch so is not "good back up".

Jos Hooiveld, like Danny Fox was also effective at Championship level, but as a backup for a Premier League team he is terrible. They just aren't capable of putting in good performances in the Premier League as their weaknesses are easily exploited by Premier League level opponents.

he just lacked pace. Every other failing relates back to that, dropping off, not going out to close players down etc.

You can't play at fullback at the top level (and be good) without pace. It's as simple as that.