Arsenal Build up Thread

Window Cleaner

I think the young cub starts tonight

Makes sense. Jay doesn't look comfortable up top on his own to me so with Rickie injured Gallagher gets a shot. It will be a very different proposition for him to not only face a team of Arsenal's quality, but also work his way into the game from the start rather than come on when the game has opened up, but that is all a part of his development. Good luck to him.

We'll also have an 18 year old left back and possibly a 18 year old right back and a 19 year old midfielder on the pitch. Not happy with that either?

They're different class, the Walcott/Oxo etc.. He's average at best IMO of course..

that's the spirit! He's got good strike rate for first team tho, scores 1 goal every 0 starts.

I think that the problem for some may be that a new young buck at CF might just show up Lambert to be the fading force that he is. They do like to hang on to their folk heroes . It was only Yeovil on saturday last but I saw a young bloke with good control and a bit of pace who his team mates didn't seem to mind supplying on the deck and not punting the ball in the air towards.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think that the problem for some may be that a new young buck at CF might just show up Lambert to be the fading force that he is. They do like to hang on to their folk heroes . It was only Yeovil on saturday last but I saw a young bloke with good control and a bit of pace who his team mates didn't seem to mind supplying on the deck and not punting the ball in the air towards.

I think you are the one trying to compare Gallagher with Lambert.. which is truly farcical; he's barely been on the pitch.. Lambert is an International class striker... you do post some rubbish.

Some of the negativity on here is amazing.

Personally, I am excited to see him tonight. Much more excited than I would be by the prospect of watching Lambert lumbering around and getting tackled or passing to a defender, as per usual whenever we play a decent team.

I think you are the one trying to compare Gallagher with Lambert.. which is truly farcical; he's barely been on the pitch.. Lambert is an International class striker... you do post some rubbish.

Well we know that you're Rickie's number 1 fan so we can appreciate that would be your view.

Lambert was "international class" at the age of 31, we'll see how many caps Gallagher has at 31, mind you it's only Scotland for the time being, could possibly switch at some stage I suppose.

I like Gallagher, but it's a massive ask of him tonight. Regardless of how promising he's looked, to make your debut start against the meanest defence in the league is asking for trouble IMO. But if you have no-one else then there is not a lot we can do. Just hope he has a decent game, and isn't overawed by the occasion.

So, who remembers an 18 year old making his debut against Arsenal in 1988 and scoring a hatrick?

I am still bricking it having an 18 year old striker start. This does not mean I don't want him to do well or I'm not a real fan or I don't trust our youth, all this means is that I'd rather not have an 18 year old start as our main striker against the league leaders.

Well we know that you're Rickie's number 1 fan so we can appreciate that would be your view.

Lambert was "international class" at the age of 31, we'll see how many caps Gallagher has at 31, mind you it's only Scotland for the time being, could possibly switch at some stage I suppose.

One does not have to be his No 1 fan to realise we have no-one as yet who can replace him, even though his form has dipped of late. If Gallagher steps up then we certainly have more options, but we cannot replace Lambert until we sign a player who can hold the ball up and distribute to his standard; plus score goals of course.

So, who remembers an 18 year old making his debut against Arsenal in 1988 and scoring a hatrick?

Yep. Was there for Shearer's superb hat trick debut. Still the top scorer in the Premier League and very often overlooked when people mention the greats who have come through the Saints youth system.

I like Gallagher, but it's a massive ask of him tonight. Regardless of how promising he's looked, to make your debut start against the meanest defence in the league is asking for trouble IMO. But if you have no-one else then there is not a lot we can do. Just hope he has a decent game, and isn't overawed by the occasion.

Agree with this

For every Alan Shearer there is a Matt Pattison and I sincerely hope that young Sam follows the Shearer line

I am nervous about tonight but no different when we played a very youthful team (Dodd debut) v undefeated Liverpool at the Dell and smashed them 4-1

Good luck to all our boys tonight and hope for a god result and no more injuries!!

Who thought we'd get a draw with City @ home with all those injuries? I thought we were in line for a kicking.

Still don't really expect much other than a loss, though anything else I'd count as a bonus to be honest.

Would like to see Gallagher get a start, early days of course, but he's looked promising thus far. G'warn lad, bag a winner!

What a moment for him that would be if he started against Arsenal. Sort of thing you will never forget, best of luck to him. His movement and runs have looked good when I've seen him and caused problems against spurs(?) but this is obviously a huge step up, hope the crowd get behind him.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What a moment for him that would be if he started against Arsenal. Sort of thing you will never forget, best of luck to him. His movement and runs have looked good when I've seen him and caused problems against spurs(?) but this is obviously a huge step up, hope the crowd get behind him.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Home debut in front of a sell-out crowd, couldn't ask for more, I think that with Gallagher and JRod both running at them

the Arse might be in for a shock, hope we can capitalise early before they adjust.

au contraire! Les Windows est la v.knowledge posteur! Only today i saw bout cabaye going to PSG and i said to myself, you know windows has been telling me that was done deal for like 6 months or whatever. He is very ITK!

Yeah when you were on ban he said that you were an unfunny try hard. I also rate him as ITK about some things.

Arsene has been singing our praises:

“They have done a remarkable job with their academy,” said Wenger. “If you look at the quality of the [players] they have produced in the last 10 years it is absolutely amazing

“They are a club that have produced [Theo] Walcott, [Gareth] Bale, [Luke] Shaw and [Alex Oxlade-] Chamberlain. That explains why they have come up again. They have produced excellent results. There is also [James] Ward-Prowse and [Morgan] Schneiderlin — they have lots of young players.

“They are more stable in their philosophy than you would think. They are above [where people] expected and the quality of their displays has been very good.

“Everybody who goes today to Southampton knows that they will get a difficult game.

“That’s why we want to focus on being at our best because Southampton is a game where you want to take the points but you know we need to fight to get them.”

Well if you're good enough you're old enough. The lad looks decent and let's not forget we'll also have JRod. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Thankfully we aren't in any immediate danger so they should just go for it, the way to knock Arsenal out of their stride is to get right into their faces and see how they cope.

Alternatives to Gallagher without altering the way we play. Rodriguez all at sea on his own, much better coming from behind. Guly the same. Lallana the same. Anybody else? Gallagher will close down, decent pace, good shot, physically strong, what's not to like about the only alternative. He has looked a good player every time he has played. Best of luck to the lad, I'm looking forward to it.

I remember it Mike but Gallagher is no Shearer

was shearer mega hyped before his debut? I've no idea, before my time, just wondering if people used to know who future stars was back in the days when you didn't have MLG to tell you bout it on internet.