Arsenal Build up Thread

Window Cleaner

Just watched the extended highlights from Saturday. Just a few "yes I know it was only Yeovil" observations....Gallagher looks superb - great composure and confidence. Once again, Cork was orchestrating things in midfield. Since coming back into the side he seems to have eclipsed Morgan's performances (whilst MS is still playing well). And Ward-Prowse seems to be back to his best - some excellent dead ball crosses into the box and a cracking effort from just outside the box.

So, with that in mind, and with Rickie potentially not being back to full fitness, I would probably tweak my starting line-up thus:

Boruc

Chambers - Fonte - Yoshida - Shaw

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Davis - JRod

Gallagher

Subs: Kelvin, Clyne, Hooiveld, Wanyama, Reed, Guly, Lambert

Just watched the extended highlights from Saturday. Just a few "yes I know it was only Yeovil" observations....Gallagher looks superb - great composure and confidence. Once again, Cork was orchestrating things in midfield. Since coming back into the side he seems to have eclipsed Morgan's performances (whilst MS is still playing well). And Ward-Prowse seems to be back to his best - some excellent dead ball crosses into the box and a cracking effort from just outside the box.

So, with that in mind, and with Rickie potentially not being back to full fitness, I would probably tweak my starting line-up thus:

Boruc

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Davis - JRod

Gallagher

So where is J WP ?

Boruc

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Davis - JRod

Gallagher

I can't see Gallagher leading the line against Arsenal. The other conundrum is how to fit Wanyama, Cork and Morgan into the team. With Lovren's injury, one way of doing it is playing Wanyama at CB. I know he hasn't done it for us but he did occasionally for Celtic, and I can't help feeling he's a better option there than Yoshida. Probably won't happen, admittedly, but a defence without Lovren against the top team in the division is scary.

Oops sorry forgot Chelski was Jan Ist…never mind; and I had not realised that we have 4 away games in February, a tough month coming up, only one at home.

Any news on Rickie's hamstring? Will be crucial to have him tomorrow, Jay Rod always looks lost without him as does Adam

Any news on Rickie's hamstring? Will be crucial to have him tomorrow, Jay Rod always looks lost without him as does Adam

Which is why I wouldn't be too reluctant to throw Gallagher in the deep end as he seemed to have the 'Rickie effect' on JRod and Lallana when he came on (albeit going on what I saw on the Saints Player highlights as wasn't at the game, so could be a false impression)

Boruc

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Davis - JRod

Gallagher

Trousers you make me laugh. You say how good Ward Prowse played and then don't even have him in the squad???????

Trousers you make me laugh. You say how good Ward Prowse played and then don't even have him in the squad???????

Yep, not intentional - my faux pas was highlighted as soon as I'd posted. I would start JWP ahead of Davis and put Davis on the bench ahead of Reed.

Crossing a side not sure what JWP really brings to the team to be honest. Yes he is a tidy player but so is Cork, we need more craft and guile in the middle of the park.

If he offered more threat from open play then he would be a shoe in because his set pieces are awesome.

Wenger: "Southampton are above expected...and the quality of their display has been very very good...and everybody that goes today to Southampton knows that you will get a difficult game...and that's why we want to focus on being at our best tomorrow night because Southampton on our plan is a game where you want to take the points but you know that you really have to fight to get them"

fa1e1ea4b49a59e6f2dff8365fa69f0a_normal.jpegSouthampton FC@SouthamptonFC

Pochettino says it is "possible" that @VictorWanyama will be in the squad to face @Arsenal tomorrow. #

MP: “We will try to win the game. One of our strengths is that we believe we can win every game. We will attack #Arsenal.” #saintsfc

MP: “Artur Boruc is fine. Rickie Lambert will be assessed today.” #saintsfc

Edited by trousers

Which is why I wouldn't be too reluctant to throw Gallagher in the deep end as he seemed to have the 'Rickie effect' on JRod and Lallana when he came on (albeit going on what I saw on the Saints Player highlights as wasn't at the game, so could be a false impression)

He looked a highly mobile centre forward. His first shot was a cracker from 25 yds came back off the keeper, his goal was cutting across the defender with his right foot and putting it past the keeper with his left. His diagonal runs through the defence were excellent, don't think he ran offside once, and gave Rodriguez the room to run into. Needs to work on his heading. He is nice and robust and a bit of a handful with a bit of pace.

Having said that, If Lambert is unfit I would start him out of necessity although 30 mins towards the end is probably better for him. I said that because Rodriguez isn't at his best up front on his own and more comfortable running through.

People are far too quick to drop Steven Davis. One of the most consistent players at the club.

If Lambert is injured Id like to see Gallagher start but more likely to be:

Boruc

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Davis - JWP

Rodriguez

Subs: Davis, Hooiveld, Clyne, Wanyama, Guly, Reed, Gallagher.

Although I'd rather Rodriguez out left, Gallagher up front and JWP on bench.

People are far too quick to drop Steven Davis. One of the most consistent players at the club.

If Lambert is injured Id like to see Gallagher start but more likely to be:

Boruc

Cork - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Davis - JWP

Rodriguez

Subs: Davis, Hooiveld, Clyne, Wanyama, Guly, Reed, Gallagher.

Although I'd rather Rodriguez out left, Gallagher up front and JWP on bench.

Just don't understand chambers instead of Clyne at all.

Boruc

Clyne

Fonte

Yoshida

Shaw

Cork

Morgan

Lallana

Jayrod

Davis

Lambert

I think Lambert is due a fitness test and is 80/20 to play.:)

If not JWP into midfield. (Would he gamble Gallagher to start if Lambert not fit?......They did with Shearer all those years ago...3 goals..

Even Guly could step in....But hope our Rikeeee is fit.

Wanyama is not match fit........maybe last 20/25 mins.

Subs.....Davis , Chambers, Wanyama, JWP, Gallagher , Jos , Guly...Reed if Lambert is out and JWP moves up..

Saints to win 3-2:)

COYS

Edited by ottery st mary

Gallagher is quality. How many people don't actually watch the team or follow the kids? The lad has a very bright future indeed and we will be seeing a lot more of him. As usual a large portion of the saints web massive need to catch up with the times... just like people questioning whether shaw was ready last season or stating chambers is rubbish compared to clyne :lol: etc etc...

Gallagher has far more potential and ability than reed (a good player in the making), and has shown more of it in his brief glimpses... Yet some on here talk about reed as if he is the second coming waiting to happen... :mcinnes: Just like the hype over warde prowse, who is a tidy technical player with a good work rate and can hit a tidy dead ball.... "the next gerrard" for some... We could do far worse than have gallagher up front tommorrow... Jayrod has yet to do it for the club as a lone striker, and after that I'm struggling to imagine something other than a 4-4-2 with Guly and Rodders up front :scared:

Also if lambert is actually out, I wonder if young Ryan will make the bench, although Arsenal would be to much for him I suspect.

Great potential in the kids, yet people write them off far to easily.

Gallagher is quality. How many people don't actually watch the team or follow the kids? The lad has a very bright future indeed and we will be seeing a lot more of him. As usual a large portion of the saints web massive need to catch up with the times... just like people questioning whether shaw was ready last season or stating chambers is rubbish compared to clyne :lol: etc etc...

Gallagher has far more potential and ability than reed (a good player in the making), and has shown more of it in his brief glimpses... Yet some on here talk about reed as if he is the second coming waiting to happen... :mcinnes: Just like the hype over warde prowse, who is a tidy technical player with a good work rate and can hit a tidy dead ball.... "the next gerrard" for some... We could do far worse than have gallagher up front tommorrow... Jayrod has yet to do it for the club as a lone striker, and after that I'm struggling to imagine something other than a 4-4-2 with Guly and Rodders up front :scared:

Also if lambert is actually out, I wonder if young Ryan will make the bench, although Arsenal would be to much for him I suspect.

Great potential in the kids, yet people write them off far to easily.

You won't be watching the team, nor following the kids, nor catching up with the times...unless you catch up with the fixture list. It's tonight.