Post Match Reaction: SAINTS 2-0 Yeovil - (FA Cup 4th Round)

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Yeovil Town (Home FA Cup 4th Round 2013/14)  

179 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Yeovil Town (Home FA Cup 4th Round 2013/14)

• Davis, K
    • Shaw
    • Clyne
    • Yoshida
    • Hooiveld
    • Cork
    • Schneiderlin
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Do Prado
    • Gallagher
    • Davis, S
    • Reed

Just back from the game:

Fair

Play to Yeovil fans, good bunch, made a bit of noise and decent numbers. Little disappointed with our fans, sat in itchen/chapel corner and had our 'yoof' constantly gobbing off and slatting others for not singing.

Katrina was in attendance and Lambert, Turnball and Wanyama sat in box and celebrated a lot when Gallagher scored.

Fonte received a warm response whilst warming up.

Phil Dowd wasn't consistent enough and actually put the whistle to his mouth when JWP went down in the second half only not to award another penalty.

Davis 6- Good game, did what was needed except the odd heart in mouth moment when playing out from back.

Clyne 7- very attacking, looked to take players on and defended well.

Maya 6- won a few in the air against Miller and played 90% of his passes across the back line.

Hooiveld 6- was solid for majority of the game, slight mix up with Maya/Kelvin in first half and out of position for one Yeovil through ball.

Shaw 7 - Almost lethargic in his approach, numerous opportunities to bomb forward without the ball yet chose to stay square. Did make three/four penetrating runs with the ball.

Cork 8 - Class

Schneiderlin 7- quiet but as ever reliable, went about his business.

JWP 7 - always busy, looked to get on the ball all the time.

Guly 100 - Move over Ronaldo

Rodriguez 6 - Is not a lone striker, got himself in a few central goal scoring positions but still under hits and goes for placement instead of striking cleanly.

Lallana - 7.5 driving force behind any of our attacks, gradually fizzled out. Much more direct with his dribbling which was good to see.

Subs:

Gallagher - so pleased to see him get his goal. Much better at playing the line this time, gradually coming off his marker and a fantastic turn in the box to nearly score a second.

Davis - Mr Safe, does a job and had an attempt on goal which either side of the keeper would of been a goal.

Reed - looked comfortable even though he was playing out wide, awesome ball in for Davis.

Funny five minute spell with the weather at which some matey's hat blew on to the pitch and Phil Dowd ran around holding for ten minutes.

Hold on, what? ........Surely it just looked that way?

Rodriguez had the ball but it didn't look like any of the players had a clue who was going to take it without Lambert on the pitch. The crowd then started shouting for Guly, Rodriguez gave him the ball and he scored.

Just back from the game:

Fair

Play to Yeovil fans, good bunch, made a bit of noise and decent numbers. Little disappointed with our fans, sat in itchen/chapel corner and had our 'yoof' constantly gobbing off and slatting others for not singing.

Katrina was in attendance and Lambert, Turnball and Wanyama sat in box and celebrated a lot when Gallagher scored.

Fonte received a warm response whilst warming up.

Phil Dowd wasn't consistent enough and actually put the whistle to his mouth when JWP went down in the second half only not to award another penalty.

Davis 6- Good game, did what was needed except the odd heart in mouth moment when playing out from back.

Clyne 7- very attacking, looked to take players on and defended well.

Maya 6- won a few in the air against Miller and played 90% of his passes across the back line.

Hooiveld 6- was solid for majority of the game, slight mix up with Maya/Kelvin in first half and out of position for one Yeovil through ball.

Shaw 7 - Almost lethargic in his approach, numerous opportunities to bomb forward without the ball yet chose to stay square. Did make three/four penetrating runs with the ball.

Cork 8 - Class

Schneiderlin 7- quiet but as ever reliable, went about his business.

JWP 7 - always busy, looked to get on the ball all the time.

Guly 100 - Move over Ronaldo

Rodriguez 6 - Is not a lone striker, got himself in a few central goal scoring positions but still under hits and goes for placement instead of striking cleanly.

Lallana - 7.5 driving force behind any of our attacks, gradually fizzled out. Much more direct with his dribbling which was good to see.

Subs:

Gallagher - so pleased to see him get his goal. Much better at playing the line this time, gradually coming off his marker and a fantastic turn in the box to nearly score a second.

Davis - Mr Safe, does a job and had an attempt on goal which either side of the keeper would of been a goal.

Reed - looked comfortable even though he was playing out wide, awesome ball in for Davis.

Funny five minute spell with the weather at which some matey's hat blew on to the pitch and Phil Dowd ran around holding for ten minutes.

That'll upset a few from oop north on here :)

I thought we just went through the motions and were really poor. Good save from Kelvin at 1-0, had they got that one it would have been different.

MoM , Clyne IMO, thought he got forward well and showed good energy.

Yoshida's passing was woeful at times.

Moved from the Kingsland to the Northam for this one, and some of out yoof in there are complete and utter idiots. Not funny, not original and seem incapable of stringing 3 words together without using the F and C words, trying to taunt Yeovil fans is pretty pathetic as well, one bloke kept shouting "go to your home games", whatever that means. One was so intoxicated he kept walking to the wrong row every time he went for a whizz and another kept calling Yoshida, Fonte (obviously a regular lol). Spoke to my mate afterwards who normally sits in there and he reckons there were a lot of strangers today and it's not normally that bad. I was really ready to do an Osvaldo to some of them, but my lad kept calming me down.

I thought we just went through the motions and were really poor. Good save from Kelvin at 1-0, had they got that one it would have been different.

MoM , Clyne IMO, thought he got forward well and showed good energy.

Yoshida's passing was woeful at times.

Moved from the Kingsland to the Northam for this one, and some of out yoof in there are complete and utter idiots. Not funny, not original and seem incapable of stringing 3 words together without using the F and C words, trying to taunt Yeovil fans is pretty pathetic as well, one bloke kept shouting "go to your home games", whatever that means. One was so intoxicated he kept walking to the wrong row every time he went for a whizz and another kept calling Yoshida, Fonte (obviously a regular lol). Spoke to my mate afterwards who normally sits in there and he reckons there were a lot of strangers today and it's not normally that bad. I was really ready to do an Osvaldo to some of them, but my lad kept calming me down.

Sounds about right for the Northam.

As a Northam regular I can tell you at least 50% in there today were not the usual STH crowd, average age 10 years younger. Nice to see a new generation of fans appreciating the FAC and the finer points of the game. At least they paid to go and watch not like many on here who know it all but see butter all.

Not a good performance really, but can hardly complain at seeing a rare Guly goal and Hooiveld/Davis clean sheet. It always felt edgy at 1-0 but after the 2nd we should really have scored more.

Cork MOTM yet again, as if his ball-winning and good passing throughout wasn't enough, he also played a good ball to set up Gallagher for his goal.

Don't know why people are saying Guly MOTM, fair play he did take the penalty coolly in a nervous situation, but other than that his play was mostly poor.

Special mention to Kelvin Davis, who never really looks comfortable with the ball at his feet but did make a couple of important saves. One point blank effort that he couldn't have known much about, and another one he tipped round the post with his fingertips.

Also Gallagher looks class. Really looked lively and full of confidence, shortly after coming on he cut inside and fired a decent shot that dipped awkwardly in front of the keeper and could easily have gone to a Saints player for a tap in. Then took his goal well, and after that showed a great bit of skill in the area. We shouldn't be afraid of giving him lots more minutes in the league until Osvaldo sorts himself out (ie. until we replace Osvaldo).

Cork my MOtM once again......by a country mile.

OOOOOzes class, workrate ,passing ,link up play , defending...........appears to have non shooting boots as per Morgan.

Jack Cork has been a great team player on his return.....as he did last year.

Sam Gallagher.......tremendous talent.....More chances to come.

Well done Saints ...workman like performance.....onwards and upwards to the next round.

COYS:)

They're 23rd in the Championship, absolutely sh!t team.

Should've easily put at least 3/4 past them today.

Why do you care how many we won by?

We won't get anywhere near the final anyway, we'll draw Arsenal/Man Utd/Chelsea/Man City/Spurs etc. at some point and that'll be us out of the competition.

For me, the FA Cup lost its way years ago, the PL is by far the most prestigious club competition and the one every club wants to be in.

The FA Cup is a shadow of its former self, and I personally couldn't give two ****s if we beat Burnley or not later today.

:lol:

Got in a couple of hours ago. I'm ashamed to say.....my first game at St Marys after loads at The Dell when I was younger!

Pretty lacklustre game I thought, but if we can play badly and still win that's always a good thing. Yeovil came out with some fighting spirit in the first half but were pretty much knackered in the second after 50mins. Hats off to their fans - plenty of noise on the go!

MOM for me was Cork. Workrate was high, pass completion sound and he covered when the defenders totted off (Jos had a few moments). That said, I actually thought Jos was dominant in the air today and put in a good shift. Maya.....dunno, a 5-6 from me. Shaw looked a bit uninterested at times, but Clyne seemed up for attacking.

Thought Lallana put in a shift, though agree he was taking more touches than would be ideal at times. Still, he did better than I could have! Ward-Prowse looked ok, guy can really put in the crosses, eh? J-Rod looked a bit off, though I think playing alone up front doesn't seem to work for him. And what's with all the side-foot shots?! He needs to lace it once in a while!

Guly....well I'm happy for the guy. From what I could see it was J-Rod who literally stuffed the ball into his chest and made him take it, though it could have been after the Northam end were egging him on to. He did a shift, looked rough at times but I'd say on the whole he did ok.

Gallacher......excited about that one! Good control, took his goal brilliantly and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. Harrison Reed didn't get much time to make an impact, but an awesome cross to Davis at the end was his highlight. Good to see that youngsters getting game time.

Experience at St. Marys on matchday? Loved it, it's a wonderful ground. But I'd not been to a game there before and I thought the atmosphere in the first half was woeful! It was so quiet at times I swear I've heard more noise at Conference matches! A league game for me next, me thinks and I'm excited already. I said to my brother (we used to go to The Dell together all the time as youngsters with Juinior Saints) that I knew as soon as I finally got off my arse and came to a game I'd regret not going for the last 10 years. It pretty much happened like that!

Gutted not to get a programme though - did they sell all 15 of them in 10mins or something?!

Cheers

Job done with the minimum of fuss nicely taken pen from Guly, sweet goal from Sam. Kelvin had his Inspector Gadget extending arms on.

But strangeness moment of the match has to be during the squall when the chap sat in the Itchen's hat blew off and landed on the pitch a good 20-30 yards from where he was, the players dodged round it, then the once fat Phil Dowd picked it up took it for a trip round the pitch then when the opportunity arose handed it back to its owner.

Very poor? That's a bit harsh.

Cant argue that. They put in several of the crosses we seem prone to conceding from, similar to the one shane long nearly scored from for west brom. I thought Yeovil put up a decent showing, and until the pen we were looking probably less likely to score than they were.

Appalling coverage ITV waited until 11.30 to see that old fashioned local news non league type commentary. Amateurs.

Hope someone/we can get to see more, on Sky maybe tomorrow??

Sky don't have the rights so it won't be on there.

Saints Player will be the only place with extended highlights I expect.

Anyone else see Chris Coleman outside the ground with a woman that did not look like Charlotte Jackson?

Looked more bronze than David Dickinson and is an absolute giant. Looked more set for the red carpet than an FA Cup game.

Hard to draw many meaningful conclusions against opposition as limited as Yeovil Town were yesterday, but I must say I thought it was a pretty mediocre game of football overall. Nevertheless we're in the last 16 and the tantalizing prospect of another big day out at Wembley draws ever closer.

Great to see young Gallagher score his first goal, but anyone not voting for Jack Cork in the MOtM poll is of course a complete mug. ;)

Anyone else see Chris Coleman outside the ground with a woman that did not look like Charlotte Jackson?

Looked more bronze than David Dickinson and is an absolute giant. Looked more set for the red carpet than an FA Cup game.

I knew she was there yesterday

@CharLouJackson: At St Mary's @SkyBet charity bet for @barnardos is a win for Southampton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally back after a mare of a journey last night (the wind that blew the guy's hat off also blew trees onto the railway line :-( )

I thought it was a reasonable match.

Yeovil, played with a lot of passion and we, on the whole, looked proffessional and set up to win without risking too many injuries

Guly any good aside from the pen? Subbed after 55mins...

To be fair to him, he did actually play pretty well and made some nice passes and touches. I was surprised he went off but assumed it was because it was his first game back from a long time out. I think he will become a good option from the bench in the League (I know this won't be a popular view).

My impressions after going to the game. Yeovill were well organised if limited. Saints looked slightly disjointed due to the changes, especially the absence of rickie up top.

As to ratings

Davis: 7 Made saves that needed to be made. He is what he is a solid if unspectacular back up keeper at this prem level.

Clyne: 7.5 Was an attacking outlet, especially in 2nd half

Shaw: 6 Seemed constrained. Not sure if he was fully fit as there were times towards the end he didn't particularly seem like he wanted the ball.

Hooiveld: 6 He won headers and cleared balls. An opossition that was perfect for Jos's attributes and hopefully it'll give him some confidence if we do need him again this season.

Yoshida: 6.5 The more composed of the 2 centre backs.

Scneiderlin:7.5 Good as always

Cork: 8 Mom for me. He's got such great control. Really hoping he is impressing Potch as he's one player i'd be dreadfully sad to see leave.

Lallana: 8, When he got the ball he had the opposition scared because they couldn't cope with his skill.

Guly: 6.5 Solid shift from Guly back from injury. Nice to see him get a goal too.

Jrod: 5: Not his day. He's so much more effective out wide.

Subs:

Gallagher:7 Very impressive outing from the youngster. Nice to see him get his goal too, especially considering the Osvaldo situation.

Davis:6.5 Looked good when he came on

Reed: 6.5 Couple of nice balls into the box by him.

To be fair to him, he did actually play pretty well and made some nice passes and touches. I was surprised he went off but assumed it was because it was his first game back from a long time out. I think he will become a good option from the bench in the League (I know this won't be a popular view).

Yeah he is a good option from the bench but nothing more IMO. He just rarely seems to offer any threat from open play but is a good athlete and tidy on the ball. Not overly dissimilar to S. Davis in some ways.

Fans who boo him are plain stupid, but equally the OTT support for him baffles me a little. In his time here I would say his best contribution was the winner at home to Bristol Rovers in the L1 promo season. Very good and vital, vital goal. But ultimately lucky (like Hooiveld) to still be at the club.

Yeah he is a good option from the bench but nothing more IMO. He just rarely seems to offer any threat from open play but is a good athlete and tidy on the ball. Not overly dissimilar to S. Davis in some ways.

Fans who boo him are plain stupid, but equally the OTT support for him baffles me a little. In his time here I would say his best contribution was the winner at home to Bristol Rovers in the L1 promo season. Very good and vital, vital goal. But ultimately lucky (like Hooiveld) to still be at the club.

The OTT support for him is just a reaction to the out of order abuse he got with the nadir being when he came on as a sub against Reading last season.