Players smoking

Matthew Le Tissier

Players smoking

Thought I would do a separate post on this as I mentioned it in another post about a few of our players that smoked and was shocked to hear people saying they think its ok and not a problem!

Is it just me who thinks this is wrong in the modern game

Probably shouldnt, they are meant to be professionals. Worth knowing though that they all go through stringent fitness tests and if it were affecting them then they would be told in no uncertain terms to stop.

I dont agree with it per se, but if they are fit enough to play you cant argue

I remember a chap name of Charles 'Charlie' Charles. Captained the Highbury Arsenal and smoked a pipe whilst playing.

Didn't do him any harm.

Here's some archive footage I found in a loft.

So at 3.29 genuine footage of Osvaldo. Maybe what followed the head butt was the problem on Wednesday.

Footballers have short careers, you can smoke as much as you want when you retire. Don't have a problem with players smoking in principle but its obviously going to effect their fitness/stamina. Surely any player with any sense wouldn't

Maybe they have to work harder, but who cares, their job is to be fit enough to perform to a level for a certain time period. They are rigorously checked, logged and checked again. If they pass those checks then there is nothing their employers can say.

To be honest, we'd be better off signing a new player named after a cigarette who could play up front on their own. If we signed a Butler, what will happen when Lambert leaves/retires? We'd be left with a Butler and in exactly the same position as we are now, so we'd need to go out and buy a Lambert. We'd be stuck in an endless cycle of looking for one or the other. We'd be better off buying a player named "Malboro" or "Mayfair" or "Camel". In an ideal world we'd find some foreign player who smoked and scored goals and was named "Lucky Strike", but that's unlikely.

Why, we already have Gallagher?

[Gallaghers is the 3rd biggest British tobacco group]

Footballers have short careers, you can smoke as much as you want when you retire. Don't have a problem with players smoking in principle but its obviously going to effect their fitness/stamina. Surely any player with any sense wouldn't

How did it effect zinadine zidane?