Lovren & Gaston Injuries

Crouchie's Lawyer

http://hns-cff.hr/news/3320/lovren-nekoliko-tjedana-izvan-terena/

Croatian defender Dejan Lovren representative will be out for several weeks due to an ankle injury sustained in the match with Sunderland.

Lovrenovo visit started at Sunderland's great - scored a nice goal for 2-0 Southampton, but the defense broke the mood and Lovren and team.

Southampton dropped comfortable lead and had to settle for one point, and Burke in the final match left the pitch on a stretcher after being injured in a duel with Craig Gardner.

Views showed distortion due to an ankle that Burke will wear a protective boot for walking, and the field will be 3-4 weeks.

3-4 weeks out... hm I really hope MP can get a defender in on loan or perhaps buy another defender since Fonte/Yoshida or Fonte/Jos is not really a PL standard pairing.....

Its doubtful whether we could could get a real improvement in on loan (who would be available?) and even if we did getting them up to speed on tactics and forging an understanding with the rest of defence would take far longer than 4 weeks. Yoshida and Jos may not be top PL quality but they know our drills and just need to play.

Edited by buctootim

3-4 weeks out... hm I really hope MP can get a defender in on loan or perhaps buy another defender since Fonte/Yoshida or Fonte/Jos is not really a PL standard pairing.....

Without that, Arsenal will tear us a new one (again)

Could we outbid Man Utd perhaps...?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/manchester-united-given-hope-signing-cagliari-defender-davide-astori-1433107

Manchester United have been encouraged in their pursuit of signing Cagliari defender Davide Astori after the Italian club's president Massimo Cellino admitted the centre-half can leave for cheap in the ongoing transfer window.

The Italian international has been linked with a move to Old Trafford and has been monitored by United manager David Moyes, who was in attendance during Juventus' 4-1 victory over Cagliari. The former Everton boss has been closely watching his transfer targets from both clubs.

The 27-year-old has started in 18 league games for the Serie A outfit. Cellino claims that Astori could follow Radja Nainggolan, who was signed by AS Roma on loan for €3m until the end of the season and could join them on a permanent deal for €6m in the summer.

Cagliari president admitted that there were offers for Nainggolan's services from clubs across Italy and Europe for his services, but was forced to leave the club and join Roma in January. Cellino hinted that Astori could also be allowed to leave in the mid-season transfer window.

"If tomorrow I was asked about Astori or others, I would let them go. I cannot protect my boys and so I could give them all away, as was the case for Nainggolan," Cellino said, as quoted by Goal.com.

I don't actually think Jos is that bad. Not a first choice but he will do a job for a couple of weeks. He made a mistake against Newcastle but other than that managed to keep a very good attacking side quiet at home. Same at Arsenal, where neither goal was anything to do with him.

With decent players around him he is alright. The problems start when you add Gazza and Fox into the equation, who are a liability IMO.

I don't get the perception of Yoshi as being poor either. He was a very good defender last year and his reputation seems to have been destroyed despite barely playing. I don't think we have a problem at CB personally. I'm more concerned about our #2 LB and keeper.

Wonder if Wanyama will be put in as CB and keep Cork in midfield.

Or we could just bring in a CB! Wanyama is a midfidler exclusively if we're honest, not really a fan of square pegs in round holes. We had that for years under the likes of Burley etc.

Or we could just bring in a CB!

No offence but I think you're missing the point. Yes we probably need a CB upgrade for the longer term but no matter who we bring in it would be unreasonable to put them straight into the team and expect them to perform better than Jos or Yoshida or Wanyama straight away. Wanyama has played at CB for both Celtic and Kenya. The best short term option is to go with what we have imo.

I don't actually think Jos is that bad. Not a first choice but he will do a job for a couple of weeks. He made a mistake against Newcastle but other than that managed to keep a very good attacking side quiet at home. Same at Arsenal, where neither goal was anything to do with him.

With decent players around him he is alright. The problems start when you add Gazza and Fox into the equation, who are a liability IMO.

I don't get the perception of Yoshi as being poor either. He was a very good defender last year and his reputation seems to have been destroyed despite barely playing. I don't think we have a problem at CB personally. I'm more concerned about our #2 LB and keeper.

He is bloody terrible......

If we take the same model as we applied in the summer - that signings should improve the first team squad (ignoring any debate about whether Ossie actually has....it was clear that it was intended he would), then Astori, at that price would be great business.

We could get him: why would he sign for a mid-table club like Man U with a negative manager rather than an upcoming future powerhouse.

C'mon NC, sell him The Project.

...oh, yeah......umm.

I doubt it will have any effect on us finishing anywhere other than 9th to be honest. No point buying a centre back who might be a bit better than Jos or Yosh just because Lovren is out.

Any centre back we do buy needs to be good enough to get in the first team when everyone is fit.

In any case, Fonte and Yoshi should be fine as long as Boruc and Shaw are around. People seem to forget that we had a decent defence for much of last season without Lovren.

If a CB is available who is at a similar level to Lovren then great. If not, it can wait to the summer. Three top quality recruits (GK, CB, AM) and no unwanted departures and we would be significantly closer to the top four IMO. As it is, we could sign just about anyone and it would be hard to close the gap on the likes of Everton and Spurs at this stage. Likewise, the teams below us have little chance of catching us.

Didn't we beat man city, Chelsea and Liverpool and draw with arsenal without lovren last season?

Yes, with the much maligned Hooiveld in the team. With Boruc and Shaw around him, he is adequate back up. The problems come with Fox and Gazza/Kelvin, like Newcastle last year or Spurs this year. Keep them away from the side and Jos is okay.

Like to take this opportunity to point out I said Lovren would be out for 3 weeks in a thread on the 18th :D

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?48656-Post-Match-Reaction-Sunderland-2-2-SAINTS&p=1860682#post1860682

2 things here...

1. It hadnt been diagnosed properly on the 18th

2. 3-4 weels is the benchmark to most ankle sprains

Lets just see what happens

Coates of Liverpool is being allowed to leave on loan and currently former club nacional are the likely destination. I think we would be good for his world cup hopes and he would be good for us whilst lovren is out and fighting for a place for the rest of the season.

Coates is awful hence him leaving, he must be as Liverpool's defence is very bad as it stands and they also have injuries.

fa1e1ea4b49a59e6f2dff8365fa69f0a_normal.jpegSouthampton FC@SouthamptonFC

#SaintsFC can confirm that @DejanLovren05 and @gasramirez10 both suffered ankle ligament injuries at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Both players’ injuries are still being assessed, so we are reluctant to place a timescale on their anticipated returns to action. #saintsfc

Here’s the full update on injuries to @gasramirez10 and @DejanLovren05: http://sfcne.ws/1mFcEzL #saintsfc

We will keep supporters updated on how Dejan and Gastón are recovering and will share any further news we receive with you. #saintsfc

Edited by trousers

Still don't know when they are back : )

That's because the medical staff can't give a realistic prediction. If they speculate "3 weeks for Lovren" and "8 weeks for Ramirez", that might be a best guess but end up wide of the mark