Lovren & Gaston Injuries

Crouchie's Lawyer

It was every single pundit from the BBC and from BT sport.

It was badly timed tackle irrespective of what the pundits say...Brown very very slightly brushed the ball but

smashed into Gaston so as its all about opinions, mine is that it was a foul...

Why do people always think pundits are right, that have an opinion nothing more

It was badly timed tackle irrespective of what the pundits say...Brown very very slightly brushed the ball but

smashed into Gaston so as its all about opinions, mine is that it was a foul...

Why do people always think pundits are right, that have an opinion nothing more

I'll take the pundit and the professional ref's view over people with red and white coloured spectacles on. My opinion is saints supporters are concentrating on the outcome and the fact they don't like Brown, rather than the tackle. A tackle shouldn't be judged by who made it and for what side the injured party played for. Most neutrals and certainly most people involved in the game (according to Blackmore , this even included Saints players and Manager) thought it fair.

I'll take the pundit and the professional ref's view over people with red and white coloured spectacles on. My opinion is saints supporters are concentrating on the outcome and the fact they don't like Brown, rather than the tackle. A tackle shouldn't be judged by who made it and for what side the injured party played for. Most neutrals and certainly most people involved in the game (according to Blackmore , this even included Saints players and Manager) thought it fair.

Personally i could`nt give a toss who made the tackle and judged it on its merits without my specs..

Going by the reaction of the players in the immediate aftermath, they like me thought it was a foul

I can accept that there is a question of opinion on Brown's challenge. But Foy and his officials clearly failed in their duty of care by allowing play to continue while a player was lying seriously injured on the pitch, that is what I condemn him for. And for continuing play even after Lovren was seriously injured. Had Sunderland scored mayhem would have ensued.

I can accept that there is a question of opinion on Brown's challenge. But Foy and his officials clearly failed in their duty of care by allowing play to continue while a player was lying seriously injured on the pitch, that is what I condemn him for. And for continuing play even after Lovren was seriously injured. Had Sunderland scored mayhem would have ensued.

There could be something there for the referee to look at himself but not for us to complain about.

No pundit will change my opinion on this. It was reckless and a foul. Most pundits are clowns, playing devils advocate all the time. As for that clown Jake on BT..

No pundit will change my opinion on this. It was reckless and a foul. Most pundits are clowns, playing devils advocate all the time. As for that clown Jake on BT..

Was the ref a clown as well, what about the saints manager and players are they clowns. What if the pgmo don't stand down foy , are they clowns?

Was the ref a clown as well, what about the saints manager and players are they clowns. What if the pgmo don't stand down foy , are they clowns?

If you were at the game, you would have seen the players reacting and surrounding the ref -not just after the incident and during the stoppage but after the final whistle.

Of course they won't stand him down. Did they stand down Clattenburg? It's a refs union. And deference to your betters. Keep tugging the forelock.

Of course they won't stand him down. Did they stand down Clattenburg? It's a refs union. And deference to your betters. Keep tugging the forelock.

It's nothing do with "tugging the forelock" its to do with my opinion of the tackle. Which was shared by the referee, Alan shearer, Michael Owen, Steve Mac, David James and according to Blackmore ,MP and the players.Perhaps we're all wrong and saints posters on a saints forum are right. If so, the referee will be stood down as mike jones was this weekend. How come some refs get stood down for mistakes but this one won't, it musdt be an anti saints conspiracy !!!

It's nothing do with "tugging the forelock" its to do with my opinion of the tackle. Which was shared by the referee, Alan shearer, Michael Owen, Steve Mac, David James and according to Blackmore ,MP and the players.Perhaps we're all wrong and saints posters on a saints forum are right. If so, the referee will be stood down as mike jones was this weekend. How come some refs get stood down for mistakes but this one won't, it musdt be an anti saints conspiracy !!!

Ok I acknowledge it's your view. He won't be stood down because if he needed to justify his decision he'd do so on the basis of Brown having got a slight touch on the ball. I think that would be spurious but I've made my points on that above. As for the views of players on the tackle, this from Fonte: “That’s another thing that we need to address because it’s becoming repetitive the mistakes against us,” said Fonte, perhaps indicating he feels not enough protection is being afforded to some of the players during matches.

Sorry if this has alredy been covered, havent got time to read all the posts.

I can't believe this discussion is still going on. It was a foul regardless of what pundits think (many pundits still think that if the ball is touched by the defending player then it's not a foul, which is factually incorrect).

Given the rules state

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

jumps at an opponent

charges an opponent

strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

pushes an opponent

tackles an opponent

Brown did tackle Ramirez (I still don't think he got the ball but that's beside the point) but in doing so he took out Ramirez ankle which at the minimum is careless (if he wasnt careless he wouldn't have touched Ramirez) and constitutes a foul. The severity of the tackle is of opinion (whether it's careless, reckless or using excessive force). IMO it was just reckless but I certainty think there's a last man issue to consider which I would argue could have given the ref cause to send Brown off.

Quote that scenario from the rulebook if you could.

I covered this in post #194. The directive was back in 1998 but if anything the directive has now been extended:

The wording was changed later (several times) . The wording of law 12 is now: 'A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.' Note the word 'tackle' and not 'foul'.

Right he might of got a touch on the ball, but his tackle was un controlled. If it was he would not of followed through on Gaston, thus taking him out(deliberate). As i think Gaston would of had a chance of still getting the ball, as Brown's touch on the ball was so slight.

This is the point. There was no way that Brown could win that tackle without causing Gastón some sort of injury.

In my experience any time a tackler makes physical contact they are nearly always penalised. If the goalkeeper dives for the ball and the follow through takes out the attacker a penalty is the result. If this tackle had happened in midfield Brown would have been penalised. Ramirez was injured by the sole of Brown's boot impacting above his ankle from behind. How can anyone argue that the rule wasn't broken.

It dates back to 1998:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footballdevelopment/news/newsid=70380/index.html

The wording was changed later (several times) . The wording of law 12 is now: 'A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.' Note the word 'tackle' and not 'foul'.

I've found various later discussions:

http://www.bettersoccercoaching.com/soccerforum/Topic26-4-1.aspx

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/18391/

Is it a tackle if the player touches the ball first?

I don't think we'll know for a couple of days, after the swelling subsides a little.

The club and players know full well what the extent of the injuries are; I guess they are just not wanting to release full details yet. (One is a lot worse than the other, but not as bad as initial thoughts/reactions suggested.)

This is the point. There was no way that Brown could win that tackle without causing Gastón some sort of injury.

You cant know that Whitey, every game there are challenges for the ball whereby a player puts his leg around the others to get the ball away. That is not illegal, Sunday League might as well pack up and finish.

You cant know that Whitey, every game there are challenges for the ball whereby a player puts his leg around the others to get the ball away. That is not illegal, Sunday League might as well pack up and finish.

B0110x, If he touches the player in a way that impedes the attacking player (let alone seriously injuring the player), even if the he touches the ball first, the tackle is careless and therefore (per the rules of the game) warrants a free kick.

Edited by St Jim

Lovren has literally just tweeted a picture of himself on crutches with his leg heavily strapped up. He says "heading to therapy, be back soon" sounds like he's out for a while.

Can you commence therapy 2 days after breaking a leg (if that is the prognosis)? - a genuine question.

Chipped ankle bone could be less than ten weeks Turkish dependent where it is chipped

Victor has been out for about 8 weeks so far (well 7 and a half) so somewhere between 8 and 10 by the time he's back to full fitness then. It surely depends on the nature of the "chip" and the individual though.