Lovren & Gaston Injuries

Crouchie's Lawyer

It made Newcastle bench go bananas (with little to no reason at all) and therefor our best striker has been serving a ban...

Yet we're being told it's within the laws of the game to follow through (if indeed Brown got any meaningful touch on the ball which I think he did not). So something's wrong. Either it's a foul and a yellow (or red) as with Schneiderlin or it's perfectly legal within the laws of the game and warrants no penalty, as with Brown. That's without even considering the recklessness, degree of force etc relative to the two tackles.

I saw the tackle while having late lunch in a local pub. To those people who are judging whether or not Brown got a touch or not from a tiny GIF, I'd say wait until you see it properly. He definitely gets a touch before Gaston, albeit a very small one. Personally I feel that the angle and reckless nature of the tackle make it a foul in this day and age.

If lovren made that tackle we would be singing his praises as one of the best centre backs in the league.

Well, lets just say that referees judge them differently. Lovren had a similar last week on Long where he nudge the ball but followed through into Long.

Freekick and a yellow was awarded.

Law 12:

A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Law 12:

A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Thats all well and god but many professionals dont think it was a foul and more importantly the referee did not, rough with the smooth, we whinge about the refs and we expect them to do us favours and give us 50/50's? The departed chairman started that belter as well, I did not see many complain about the West Brom penalty earlier on in the season.

Thats all well and god but many professionals dont think it was a foul and more importantly the referee did not, rough with the smooth, we whinge about the refs and we expect them to do us favours and give us 50/50's? The departed chairman started that belter as well, I did not see many complain about the West Brom penalty earlier on in the season.

trouble is a lot of professionals in the game, in various roles, don't know the laws.

Reckon that is ankle ligaments. 8-10 weeks minimum based having had a similar tackle inflicted on me.

The GF is a Physio and from the picture the first think she said was a likely lateral ligament has gone which in some cases can take longer to heal than a clean break. She did say there could be a possible dislocation but in fairness she has only seen 1 photograph.

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Gaston's safety was endangered (by definition) if he suffers any kind of injury from this tackle. The word in the Laws is "must" be sanctioned. Therefore the referee is guilty of not applying the rules of the game, or, if he did not see it, the sanction must be applied retrospectively.

Not saying that's what will happen, but the letter of the law is this. I don't see any way around it, contact with ball or otherwise.

Conversely, if that is a legal tackle then the club should be writing to the FA and asking for someone to come and clarify the law that allows one play to incapacitate another without there being any foul or consequence. Such a move, if legal, would be good to know about as we could start using it in all our future games.

It's pretty appalling that so many people find such a move to be 'a fair challenge'. It's not. It's a horrible tackle, and one which is NOT reckless - Brown knows very well that there is a high chance that Gaston will score from that setup and that will effectively end the game. On the other hand, there is a good chance he will get away with it, either because a) he gets a flick on the ball b) the ref is in a position from which he cannot see the challenge very well c) even if he sees it, it will be hard for him to send off a player from the home team at this very moment. Therefore, from purely practical (&logical) standpoint, it's better for him to go for it.

What's even worse is there are quite a few people on this forum who said "if it was one of our players, we would have been applauding it". No, I would not. I understand why it needs to be done and why Brown did it today (as I tried to explain above), but I would never support such a tackle - it's horrible, it doesn't add anything to the game, and it has no place in it.

It's pretty appalling that so many people find such a move to be 'a fair challenge'. It's not. It's a horrible tackle, and one which is NOT reckless - Brown knows very well that there is a high chance that Gaston will score from that setup and that will effectively end the game. On the other hand, there is a good chance he will get away with it, either because a) he gets a flick on the ball b) the ref is in a position from which he cannot see the challenge very well c) even if he sees it, it will be hard for him to send off a player from the home team at this very moment. Therefore, from purely practical (&logical) standpoint, it's better for him to go for it.

What's even worse is there are quite a few people on this forum who said "if it was one of our players, we would have been applauding it". No, I would not. I understand why it needs to be done and why Brown did it today (as I tried to explain above), but I would never support such a tackle - it's horrible, it doesn't add anything to the game, and it has no place in it.

You seem to be implying that Wes brown deliberately set out to foul and hurt Ramirez. Do you genuinely believe this to be the case with the game in the balance, gaston through on goal and any slight mistime of the tackle would be a straight red and either a penalty or a free kick in a dangerous position?

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Gaston's safety was endangered (by definition) if he suffers any kind of injury from this tackle. The word in the Laws is "must" be sanctioned. Therefore the referee is guilty of not applying the rules of the game, or, if he did not see it, the sanction must be applied retrospectively.

Not saying that's what will happen, but the letter of the law is this. I don't see any way around it, contact with ball or otherwise.

Conversely, if that is a legal tackle then the club should be writing to the FA and asking for someone to come and clarify the law that allows one play to incapacitate another without there being any foul or consequence. Such a move, if legal, would be good to know about as we could start using it in all our future games.

A few years ago FIFA had a go at trying to eliminate tackles from behind. Studies had shown that a lot of layers were getting serious ankle injuries from such tackles, mainly because they couldn't see them coming. Referees were instructed to issue red cards for any tackle from behind liable to endanger the safety of an opponent. This didn't seem to last very long. Brown's tackle was always going to follow through and endanger Gastón whether he got the ball first or not. Earlier in the season Brown was given a red card which was later rescinded. This undermines the referee concerned and may even be going through their minds every time that Brown makes another tackle.

You seem to be implying that Wes brown deliberately set out to foul and hurt Ramirez. Do you genuinely believe this to be the case with the game in the balance, gaston through on goal and any slight mistime of the tackle would be a straight red and either a penalty or a free kick in a dangerous position?

Yes, because the alternative is a 50%+ chance of Gaston scoring, effectively sealing the win for us.

As I've just posted, do you think there was any way that Brown could win that ball cleanly, even if he touched it before the man? He was always going to bring Gastón down whatever happened.

You seem to be implying that Wes brown deliberately set out to foul and hurt Ramirez.

Ok, let me correct myself - I don't think we wanted to foul and hurt him, I think it was more a case of... doing what's necessary to stop him, including fouling him.

As I've just posted, do you think there was any way that Brown could win that ball cleanly, even if he touched it before the man? He was always going to bring Gastón down whatever happened.

Of course there was. You are talking about fractions of seconds here, he gets to that ball 0.2 seconds earlier and makes a clean tackle, Gaston goes over his leg but he wins the ball cleanly and its a great tackle, not a foul.

How can anyone here say it's a fair tackle after wathcing the replays? Are you guys insane?

When I first saw it live on my computer I too thought it was a fair tackle where Brown touched the ball and then caught Ramirez a little bit. But after watching the replays, it doesn't seem like he even touches the ball? If he did, it was barely. Horrendous tackle.

How can anyone here say it's a fair tackle after wathcing the replays? Are you guys insane?

When I first saw it live on my computer I too thought it was a fair tackle where Brown touched the ball and then caught Ramirez a little bit. But after watching the replays, it doesn't seem like he even touches the ball? If he did, it was barely. Horrendous tackle.

In my opinion there's no way that you could call that a clean tackle.

Of course there was. You are talking about fractions of seconds here, he gets to that ball 0.2 seconds earlier and makes a clean tackle, Gaston goes over his leg but he wins the ball cleanly and its a great tackle, not a foul.
He makes a clean tackle and gets to the ball 0.2..... are you mad? Really, have you seen the damage? this was a lunging tackle from a position behind the player, desparate 100%. To say he got a toe on the ball before breaking an anlke imo is crazy. And you proclaim to be a saints fan. Honestly, you are talking ****e.

He makes a clean tackle and gets to the ball 0.2..... are you mad? Really, have you seen the damage? this was a lunging tackle from a position behind the player, desparate 100%. To say he got a toe on the ball before breaking an anlke imo is crazy. And you proclaim to be a saints fan. Honestly, you are talking ****e.

Claiming to be a Saints fan lessens your point and highlights bias, it matters not who anyone supports and accusing someone of not supporting the side they actually do because they dont agree with you is ridiculous and childish. Professionals have called it unlucky and not a foul, the referee did and some on here, I'll go with them for now.

Claiming to be a Saints fan lessens your point and highlights bias, it matters not who anyone supports and accusing someone of not supporting the side they actually do because they dont agree with you is ridiculous and childish. Professionals have called it unlucky and not a foul, the referee did and some on here, I'll go with them for now.

Take a break Barry. Go for a cr@p or something and do us all a favour.

Not talking about cheating, diving etc here, but a brutal tackle on one of our players, yes one of our players, have you no loyalty. It was a horrible tackle, not meant, but horrible and 100% a foul. You amaze me. 50/50 what are you on about???

Sorry Barry have I upset someone? You shouldn't be so defensive towards other people.

What mental logic, if you're a saints fan it's impossible to think he COULD have made that tackle cleanly is it?!!

Just seen it on MOTD and he did indeed get a toe on the ball before of contact with Ramirez, so I'm bang on the money as usual.

Read the post again, take a deep breath and engage brain. The question was COULD he have made that tackle safely and got the ball? And did he deliberately try and foul and hurt Ramirez. The answer is of course yes, if he'd been slightly better positioned, slightly quicker, slide I slightly earlier, he makes a clean tackle the ball and wins it easily. you are talking fractions of seconds between a good tackle and a foul. Bit of course it's only Lunatic internet saints who think that this is impossible and what happened was he tried to snap Ramirez in half, nut job.

Edited by Turkish

It is regardless whether he touched the ball or not it is red card and once again another referee has got it seriously against Southampton

Don't talk nonsense.

Has Shearer got in in for Southampton, what about Michael Owen and the Commentator, what about the guys back in the studio Steve M and David James, what about Saints Manager and players who told Adam Blackmore they thought it was fair, have they all got in in for Southampton?