Lovren & Gaston Injuries

Crouchie's Lawyer

If you watch the tv replay h does get a slight touch on the ball, but it is slight. The follow through however is clearly reckless and warranted a minimum yellow card, tge touch on the ball is so slight its irrelevant.

I imagine with all that happened over the last few weeks Saints are just keeping quiet, I just dont see how another pro could say that was a fair challenge.

Even if he did touch the ball first (which I'm yet to see from any of the video footage)... So what? That doesn't make it not a foul, its a common misconception that touching the ball first makes it not a foul automatically. It was a tackle from behind, both his feet leave the ground and was reckless, plus he was the last man.

Can you repeat that one more time?

If you watch the tv replay h does get a slight touch on the ball, but it is slight. The follow through however is clearly reckless and warranted a minimum yellow card, tge touch on the ball is so slight its irrelevant.

I imagine with all that happened over the last few weeks Saints are just keeping quiet, I just dont see how another pro could say that was a fair challenge.

Being last man and Ramirez was through on goal upgrades it to a red card, so does it being a reckless lunge from behind with both legs airborne so he can't possibly be in control.

He got the ball - just. But if you tackle like that outside the box it is easy for the Ref to give a foul as it was a dangerous last ditch lunge. In the box it is harder for the Ref's to give it as they often bottle marginal decisions. Foy did bottle it but I can see the argument as to why it wasn't given when it occurred in the box. If anyone did that outside the box he is giving a foul - because even though the ball was touched first it was excessive force and a dangerous tackle.

We know there shouldn't be different rules in and out the box but history says the Ref's interpret things differently like that.

Clearly touches it with his toe first, though it is irrelevant. Those who don't see the touch really need to go to Specsavers or become PL referees

I must need a visit to Specsavers then, because I see nothing in here from the movement of the ball that suggests Brown touches it. Gaston touches it on just before he is clattered, Brown just lunges studs up straight into his leg.

L1vMdDB.gif

But then like you said, it is irrelevant if Brown touches the ball first as that is eclipsed as it was a reckless airborne lunge from behind and he was the last man.

He got the ball - just. But if you tackle like that outside the box it is easy for the Ref to give a foul as it was a dangerous last ditch lunge. In the box it is harder for the Ref's to give it as they often bottle marginal decisions. Foy did bottle it but I can see the argument as to why it wasn't given when it occurred in the box. If anyone did that outside the box he is giving a foul - because even though the ball was touched first it was excessive force and a dangerous tackle.

We know there shouldn't be different rules in and out the box but history says the Ref's interpret things differently like that.

It wasn't in the box. The "foul" was committed in the D, just outside the box.

And can't believe people are still saying that Brown got a touch on the ball when the gif on this thread clearly shows he didn't.

I must need a visit to Specsavers then, because I see nothing in here from the movement of the ball that suggests Brown touches it. Gaston touches it on just before he is clattered, Brown just lunges studs up straight into his leg.

L1vMdDB.gif

But then like you said, it is irrelevant as it was an airborne lunge from behind.

it looks vaguely like the ball moves back or to the right just before gaston kicks it but that could be because the camera continues panning, while the ball slows down.

Hmm so it was. It looked in the box from the other end. In which case I agree that Foy bottled it.

I don't know, I think Foy is a ****, but in this case from the angle he saw it, I think it could look like Brown got to the ball first, and perhaps the reckless contact on Gaston was shielded from his view by Brown's body.

The wrong decision by Foy, but I can understand why he didn't give it.

So if he touches the ball (which I dont see), then Gaston touches it and after that Brown takes Gaston down.

Then there is no situation with "touching the ball first", that could come in play if the ball is cleared with that contact and it surely isn´t....

Even if Brown does touch it with his toe the ball doesn't change direction. Instead it continues in front of Gaston who would have had a goalscoring opportunity if he wasn't scythed down recklessly. A clear foul on a player through on goal. A red card and free kick would have been the result if Saints weren't such a nice team. ;)

Brown's tackle was reckless yet fair at the same time if that makes sense, he is an awful defender who is clumsy throughout his play, none more so than his passing and distribution but the tackle was fair, I also feel for Ramirez, I dont like him as a player as everyone knows but feel for the lad and hope he returns quickly and stronger.

Brown's tackle was reckless yet fair at the same time if that makes sense, he is an awful defender who is clumsy throughout his play, none more so than his passing and distribution but the tackle was fair, I also feel for Ramirez, I dont like him as a player as everyone knows but feel for the lad and hope he returns quickly and stronger.

Reckless equals foul these days, probably not in the 80's or even maybe the 90's but these days it´s in the rules.

Stop using a stutter gif to clutch at straws.

BT replays at the time show that Brown gets the ball, playing it off Ramirez... Hence no direction change.

I can even see it in the gif but that's probably as I've seen other angles.

However, I'm not sure the ref would have seen that so probably still bottled it.

In 1975 it was a brilliant tackle.

In 2014 it looks like a red card.

Any TV pundit who reckons it is fine as he 'got the ball' is a dinosaur who has no understanding of the modern game and has no relevant insight to offer.

To be a brilliant tackle in 2014 he should have led with his toes and taken the ball cleanly, not lunged in studs first.

He has form.

He is that type of player.

Any TV pundit who reckons it is fine as he 'got the ball' is a dinosaur who has no understanding of the modern game and has no relevant insight to offer.

To be a brilliant tackle in 2014 he should have led with his toes and taken the ball cleanly, not lunged in studs first.

He has form.

So ex international players don't know what they're on about yet a load of posters on a mongboard who have likely never played the game at any decent level do, glad we cleared that up.

So ex international players don't know what they're on about yet a load of posters on a mongboard who have likely never played the game at any decent level do, glad we cleared that up.

A mongboard? I wonder what one would call one of the most prolific posters on a board for mongs?

BT replays at the time show that Brown gets the ball, playing it off Ramirez... Hence no direction change.

However, I'm not sure the ref would have seen that so probably still bottled it.

Even if Brown did touch the ball first... so what? That doesn't automatically make it not a foul. Amazing how many still believe this. It was still a tackle from behind and a reckless one at that, where by both his feet left the ground so he wasn't in control and his studs are up and could have snapped Ramirez's leg in two.

The gif isn't stuttery at all, in fact it is the best quality replay I have seen anywhere since the game. It clearly shows that Brown either makes no contact with the ball, or if he does, it is a feather like touch on the way to taking out Gaston's ankle (and is irrelevant anyway).

A good quality video replay from the same angle the gif is taken from would show the same.

He has form.

Yep, Brown is a thuggish slogger and he knew he had to take Gaston out to save the game. I'm sure if he got a red card for it he, and his manager, would have still thought it worthwhile.

Even if Brown did touch the ball first... so what? That doesn't automatically make it not a foul. Amazing how many still believe this. It was still a tackle from behind and a reckless one at that, where by both his feet left the ground so he wasn't in control and his studs are up and could have snapped Ramirez's leg in two.

Didn't Schneiderlin get a yellow earlier this season for a tackle where he very clearly took the ball first but the follow through was deemed dangerous?

Adam Blackmore tweeting that the Saints manager & players considered it a fair tackle, but what would they know.

Makes you laugh doesn't it?

The referee, the commentators and analysts , and even the saints manager and players consider it a fair tackle, but saints posters demand apologies and a red. No doubt when match of the day conclude the same or ignore it, it'll be part of this massive anti saints conspiracy. Had a saints player made the tackle , they'd be hailing it. Apart from here has anybody called it a red?

The referee, the commentators and analysts , and even the saints manager and players consider it a fair tackle, but saints posters demand apologies and a red. No doubt when match of the day conclude the same or ignore it, it'll be part of this massive anti saints conspiracy. Had a saints player made the tackle , they'd be hailing it. Apart from here has anybody called it a red?

Yep, people from many different teams on reddit.com/r/soccer are also calling it a red.

He did not go through him for one, he touched the ball first and he caught him in the referees opinion unintentionally, thats it really. You can tackle from behind as well if you dont go through a player, dont be biased, be fair and objective.

So if his ankle's broken is it still a fair tackle?

Didn't Schneiderlin get a yellow earlier this season for a tackle where he very clearly took the ball first but the follow through was deemed dangerous?

It made Newcastle bench go bananas (with little to no reason at all) and therefor our best striker has been serving a ban...